Restaurant Threads And Posts

Mapguy

Priceless, where are you when TV Chiang Mai really needs you?! It isn't the pollution season; the weather is absolutely lovely! Your often valuable posts re air pollution wouldn't go down at all right now. So, what to do?

Will you do a serious study of restaurant threads on TV Chiang Mai? Research and graph something which seems much more important to TV Chiang Mai participants than something like air pollution?

The number of threads and hits on restaurant threads on TV Chiang Mai is truly astonishing, especially if UG's contributions are included, which number stands absolutely alone and unchallenged --- but then he only keeps fruit juice for breakfast in his fridge! The data will be a little skewed by that outlier, but what the hey! You can cover that in your notes to the graphs. Go for it! Crank up MS Excel! You don't need SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) or anything like that unless you really want to dress it up! Not sure how!

Should be an easy study design! It really is just descriptive statistics. How many restaurant threads compared to other threads on TV Chiang Mai? How many posts on them relative to the total? And so on!

We know you can do it!

I have never understood why the anti-food thread forces can not just ignore threads that they are not interested in - like everyone else - but the last few days they have actually been starting food threads which they they then proceed to bitch and moan about.

Some folks really do have too much time on their hands. :)

Ajarn G - of CMU days - says that there is a "very vocal minority of real wanke_rs" and I must concur. :)

I agree, and I feel they are responsible for me feeling 'strange' about offering support and knowledge to others here. It is not as nice as it once was here, imo.

Andrew Drumond described the ThaiVisa people as mostly Dorks and Rednecks :)

I agree, and with Ulysses too, but the strength of TV is its large membership.

As Ulysses says you can ignore threads you are not interested in. And within a thread you can ignore the off topics, the flaming ( don't be drawn into it) . You can concentrate on the posts that are informative, helpful, and properly sourced and factual.

There are some bright guys on here, with good ideas and sensible perceptions of the reality that is Thailand. Just react with them. Drummond has fairly commented in his own blog that there are many sound posters here though he is right aboutb some of the negative sides.

At least here you can state your views ( yes there is mod control, flaming, applying the usual techniques when a poster realises he is losing an argument) and that is its great strength

**comments removed--sbk***

TV is not perfect but it serves its purpose as a forum. People can make contributions. For that George and his team can be satisfied

Apology if this is not on a resaturant topic but I am replying to the previous posts

Excellent points.

There is one forum that advertises itself as "anything goes" (they actually censor anything that is critical of them), but it is nothing but ignorant flaming and nastiness by the worst kind of posters. They are an advertisement for having real standards and decent moderators that clear away the dross.

We all get frustrated sometimes with all the rules at Thai Visa, but the truth is that they are necessary to keep that "vocal minority" of very negative posters under control.

I have never understood why the anti-food thread forces can not just ignore threads that they are not interested in - like everyone else - but the last few days they have actually been starting food threads which they they then proceed to bitch and moan about.

Some folks really do have too much time on their hands. :)

Why can you not take your own advice and ignore the posts you are not interested in?

Being attacked about nothing, so that some dweeb can feel better about him self can get a little irritating. :)

That is a world wide problem, Ulysses. I see it everywhere. The insecure in the world want to bring others down to their own pitiful level. I find it easier to laugh and agree with them. Or, even take their abuse to one step further. It removes all their power when the realize they haven't the ability to bother you.

You are using a different definition of ignore than I am.

For example, if a thread says. "Food thread", it is pretty easy to ignore it (not look at it) if one gets upset by food threads.

One cannot avoid rude remarks and insults that are stuck in the middle of a thread that you do want to read (unless you ignore every comment by certain posters, which might not be a bad idea) so I tend to give as good as I get in that situation, rather than turn my cheek like Jesus said.

Edited by Ulysses G.

You are using a different definition of ignore than I am.

For example, if a thread says. "Food thread", it is pretty easy to ignore it (not look at it) if one gets upset by food threads.

One cannot avoid rude remarks and insults that are stuck in the middle of a thread that you do want to read (unless you ignore every comment by certain posters, which might not be a bad idea) so I tend to give as good as I get in that situation, rather than turn my cheek like Jesus said.

hey good UG ,i agree ...

the golden rule...

do to others what they do to you... keep it all even.

Edited by gatorhead333

Priceless, where are you when TV Chiang Mai really needs you?! It isn't the pollution season; the weather is absolutely lovely! Your often valuable posts re air pollution wouldn't go down at all right now. So, what to do?

Will you do a serious study of restaurant threads on TV Chiang Mai? Research and graph something which seems much more important to TV Chiang Mai participants than something like air pollution?

The number of threads and hits on restaurant threads on TV Chiang Mai is truly astonishing, especially if UG's contributions are included, which number stands absolutely alone and unchallenged --- but then he only keeps fruit juice for breakfast in his fridge! The data will be a little skewed by that outlier, but what the hey! You can cover that in your notes to the graphs. Go for it! Crank up MS Excel! You don't need SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) or anything like that unless you really want to dress it up! Not sure how!

Should be an easy study design! It really is just descriptive statistics. How many restaurant threads compared to other threads on TV Chiang Mai? How many posts on them relative to the total? And so on!

We know you can do it!

hey here is an idea... do your exercise yourself since it is your baby go for it mr.mupguy should be an easy study for you!!!

We know you can do it!

hey here is an idea... do your exercise yourself since it is your baby go for it mr.mupguy should be an easy study for you!!!

A reasonable response, if you take me literally! I would never undertake such a study myself since I would find it totally pointless, as would Priceless, if I may speak for him. I was simply yanking his chain a bit, too.

The point is the utter inanity (Comes from the Latin, I suppose, meaning "from the asshol_e") of many people (often repeatedly, and repeatedly... and repeatedly!) who post on such threads to the enlightenment of absolutely no one!

I like reading thoughtful reviews of restaurants. I like to dine out, too! But thoughtful reviews are really drown out by the tripe that is also posted on TV Chiang Mai.

And that's a shame!

I like reading thoughtful reviews of restaurants. I like to dine out, too! But thoughtful reviews are really drown out by the tripe that is also posted on TV Chiang Mai.

And that's a shame!

Not entirely. If topics are ONLY informative then eventually a forum becomes boring and dries up. There needs to be a balance of good natured bantering to lighten the threads. Unfortunately, some people don't know how to disagree without getting personal or nasty.

And that's a shame!

Not entirely. If topics are ONLY informative then eventually a forum becomes boring and dries up. There needs to be a balance of good natured bantering to lighten the threads. Unfortunately, some people don't know how to disagree without getting personal or nasty.

Too, too true! That's sad! I can deal pretty well with banality....except, I guess, with restaurant threads as they appear on TV Chiang Mai! Nothing against good restaurant reviews, which may honestly differ.

Otherwise, most restaurant chatter on TV Chiang Mai seems to be just passing gas! Some people seem to suffer more gastric distress than others. Perhaps they should eat at home more often!

Edited by Mapguy

I guess that at this time of year, Mapguy starts to miss having something to whine about that anyone pays attention to, so he starts restaurant threads himself and then whinges about too many restaurant threads - It is either that or cyber-stalking Priceless or myself.

He might actually start more restaurant threads than I do - I mostly respond to other interested people's posts - but as long as he can snivel and moan about anything at all, he is a happy camper - or at least as happy as he can get.

If he is really that lonely and desperate, he might consider volunteering to help someone less fortunate than he learn English or computer skills like Drew Aitch is doing. Helping others can help one forget one's own inadequacies and neurotic tendencies.

Mapguy talks a good game about saving the world, but he seems to be all bitching and complaining and never any positive action. Why not DO something that helps someone for a change? :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I would much rather talk about food than air quality! Yesterday the air was nice. [boring topic] Yesterday I ate at the U.N. Pub for the first time and loved the chicken sandwich! [interesting topic]

mmmmmm Now I need some breakfast. :)

I would like to see full disclosure on the food posts as you often see on other sites when people are discussing the price of stocks.

More than once I have followed a recommendation for a restaurant on TV and ended up wasting my life eating very bad food. I strongly suspect that the positive posts for these restaurants originated with the restaurant owner or his friends. Similarly some restaurants get unfairly slagged off by competitors.

This would obviously be pretty impossible to police but it would be a nice formality

S

Disclosure: i am not in the restaurant business, I make websites. I was surprised to find that one of them was easily the best on the internet blah blah blah

Steve C has a great idea and not just for restaurants, but how do you monitor business owners, friends of business owners, friends of friends of business owners, paid friends?

How about other business owners, enemies of business owners, friends of enemies of business owners, and so on? blink.gif

Wat are the alternatives - what's the best wat to watch tumble? Relative pH or fecal coliform levels in public pools? Where to get your pubes shaved - oops, that's been done.

Ignore stupid threads and posts. Start new threads that inform or titillate - and find out it's not easy. Good luck.

More than once I have followed a recommendation for a restaurant on TV and ended up wasting my life eating very bad food. I strongly suspect that the positive posts for these restaurants originated with the restaurant owner or his friends. Similarly some restaurants get unfairly slagged off by competitors.

So true.

I see Miguels recommended on TV. On such a recommendation I went there. We had bad food and bad service. Never again.

Edited by piercefilmlid

We know you can do it!

A reasonable response, if you take me literally! I would never undertake such a study myself since I would find it totally pointless, as would Priceless, if I may speak for him. I was simply yanking his chain a bit, too.

The point is the utter inanity (Comes from the Latin, I suppose, meaning "from the asshol_e") of many people (often repeatedly, and repeatedly... and repeatedly!) who post on such threads to the enlightenment of absolutely no one!

And that's a shame!

hey here is an idea ... do the exercise yourself since it is your baby ,go for it mr.mudpie should be an easy study for you!!

this would help you take up your time more to keep you from your simple yanking too much.

since...

nobody takes you literally or seriously.... except perhaps yourself!!!

so just breath deep and feel the energy of your body flow!