Did The Flooding Rains Come As Predicted?

IanForbes

A week ago there were weather predictions for flooding rains in various parts of Thailand between May 22 and May 25. Did they actually occur? I know the area where the hotel I stay at has had floods in the past. Did anything happen over last weekend? I believe Priceless has given us statistics showing the heaviest rains usually happen in September, but low lying area are always at risk.

And, we FINALLY had a full week of warm sunshine.

Here's hoping you get at least one more before the winter rain sets in. :D

We've still got the three months of so called "summer" to look forward to. There is "usually" at least two weeks of Chiang Mai weather before the fall season cools everything off. I'm talking about the warm stuff where people complain and turn on their air conditioning when it gets to about 25 degrees. :)

That's one reason why I'm still a little reluctant to buy a motorcycle here. There are only a few months where it's comfortable to ride without being covered in leather from head to toe, and you can never count on it not raining. I didn't see rain in Chiang Mai for 5 months and road my bike every day.

A week ago there were weather predictions for flooding rains in various parts of Thailand between May 22 and May 25. Did they actually occur? I know the area where the hotel I stay at has had floods in the past. Did anything happen over last weekend? I believe Priceless has given us statistics showing the heaviest rains usually happen in September, but low lying area are always at risk.

No rain at all on those days, here in Chiang Mai Ian. Today had a light rain. The first in a week or more.

No rain at all on those days, here in Chiang Mai Ian. Today had a light rain. The first in a week or more.

That is good. Rain is necessary. Strong rains are helpful. Floods CAN be beneficial for nature, but are usually a problem wherever humans have settled. Unfortunately, there are very few places where humans haven't settled, and river bottoms do have the most fertile land.

That's one reason why I'm still a little reluctant to buy a motorcycle here. There are only a few months where it's comfortable to ride without being covered in leather from head to toe, and you can never count on it not raining.

I rode a BSA 650 for two years in and around Vancouver, year-round, and know well what you mean.

We've still got the three months of so called "summer" to look forward to. There is "usually" at least two weeks of Chiang Mai weather before the fall season cools everything off. I'm talking about the warm stuff where people complain and turn on their air conditioning when it gets to about 25 degrees. :)

That's one reason why I'm still a little reluctant to buy a motorcycle here. There are only a few months where it's comfortable to ride without being covered in leather from head to toe, and you can never count on it not raining. I didn't see rain in Chiang Mai for 5 months and road my bike every day.

Where I come from, it is said that summer is the best day of the whole year :D

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Where I come from, it is said that summer is the best day of the whole year :D

/ Priceless

And last year it came on a thursday and lasted until the following morning. :)

I did spend a good day with my son, though, on the hill over looking my home.

Mt_Prevost_E3.jpg

My home is in the upper middle part of this photo; right between the two lakes.

Mt_Prevost_E.jpg