Praise To Rim Ping's Service Orientation

Tawai

My wife bought a 3 liter Tetra Box of Chilean Chardonay at Rimping this monday. The same brand we have enjoyed twice before. When I started to pure out the wine I immediatly saw that the wine has gone bad. I gave it a tiny try and had this terrible taste in my mouth.

Well, asked the wife if she got the receipt, but she did not find it anymore.

Did not look good for us, but since we are a Rim Ping member, all our buying is in their computer system.

Went to Rim Ping with little hope to get a replacement, but since the wine was 995 Baht, I wanted to try even without a receipt. 

Was greeted friendly and I stated my problem with the wine. No problem they said. Want to get a new one, or a another brand? Well, I supposed that the replacement would be bad as well, but if I could try the replacement, I would prefer the same brand. Ok, no problem, we open another carton. But same problem,... Ok, take another brand, the 995 Baht will be refunded immediatly. Staff also calls the supplier instantly to inform about the problem.

That's what I call good service!

My wife bought a 3 liter Tetra Box of Chilean Chardonay at Rimping this monday. The same brand we have enjoyed twice before. When I started to pure out the wine I immediatly saw that the wine has gone bad. I gave it a tiny try and had this terrible taste in my mouth.

Well, asked the wife if she got the receipt, but she did not find it anymore.

Did not look good for us, but since we are a Rim Ping member, all our buying is in their computer system.

Went to Rim Ping with little hope to get a replacement, but since the wine was 995 Baht, I wanted to try even without a receipt.

Was greeted friendly and I stated my problem with the wine. No problem they said. Want to get a new one, or a another brand? Well, I supposed that the replacement would be bad as well, but if I could try the replacement, I would prefer the same brand. Ok, no problem, we open another carton. But same problem,... Ok, take another brand, the 995 Baht will be refunded immediatly. Staff also calls the supplier instantly to inform about the problem.

That's what I call good service!

I agree, Rimping are normally very good at store level. Just not good at responding to any e-mails. I shop at Mee Chok weekly & sometimes find a visit to their Nim City branch or even Tops is necessary to find items that are out of stock-a common problem sadly.

Just not good at responding to any e-mails.

With few exceptions, this is something of a nationwide problem in my experience. I've accepted that it will take Thailand a few more years (at least) to go digital.

Best results for turning up in person, second best by phone, worst by fax or email.

I also really like Rim Ping. :)

I generally rave about Rimping Supermarket's service, prices and selection. I have directed many friends there, and they have all been satisfied with the experience. I shop there at least once or twice a week.

However, one minor or major blemish, depending on your perspective.

Twice in the last 6 months, I have had an issue with payment with an ATM card in the check-out (cashier) line.

The first, months ago, I was paying with my Bangkok Bank ATM card, which I had used previously the same day for another purchase.

It was obviously functional. And yes, I had in excess of 200K B in the account linked to the card. :D

They had some glitch with the reader perhaps, I don't know. There was much moving to and fro with a manager and misc. personnel.

They called my bank :) , in front of me, the customer, to verify the card's validity. The bank verified that I had well in excess of 1 M in accounts there.

No biggie, smiles all around, etc. But I felt like a shithe_d, the way they treated me as a customer. In my home country, I would never have been made to stand in line in a supermarket, while they called the bank in front of me. Either they accept, or deny....period. I don't think anyone on this forum would enjoy this treatment, either.

Second time was last week. I purchased about 750 B worth of goods. Apparently the card reader or the bank connect was not working at the register, so the cashier said "excuse me", took my card and went off to the service desk, presumably to run my card there. She came back with the ticket for me to sign...............and I caught an error of about 120 B on a 750 B bill. Called the supervisor over, again much to and fro, etc. They paid me cash back for the approx. 16% overcharge on my bill. Not a word of apology.

<deleted>?

And I am a consistent long time customer of Rimping, from the old store back by the Novatel. And I spend on average about 700-1000 B every time I step in their store, excluding alcoholic beverages.

I think they don't have their IT systems working properly, and they need to train their cashiers and supervisory people a lot more.

BTW, I have never had this problem, with the same card, the myriad times I have shopped at Tops, or Carrefour, or wherever.

Just my 25 satang.

I think everywhere we have ever gone including Lotus and Carrefour have provided us with great customer service. We do a lot of shopping at Rimping Mee Chok as it is close to home and I can find things from home there the other stores don't have.

I know this is a little off topic but one thing I am really impressed with in Thailand is customer service and warranty service, in the USA people would tell you it's your fault and it's going to cost you. Here everything from DVD players to air condition are fully covered and repaired or replaced without a hassle. The compressor in one of our bedroom air condition units went bad the other day and my wife called the company for service, the unit is 4 years old and we moved it from our house in Chiang Rai to our house here in Chiang Mai. Samsung came out looked at it said the compressor was bad, they went and got one and 2 days latter it was installed free of charge!

Sawasdee Khrup, TV friends,

I'd like to join in the chorus here : I've received wonderful service at the Rimping on the old Chiang Mai ~ Lamphun highway. They went out of their way to special order LactaSoy Lite by the 12 liter box for me, and, on many other occasions, have gone out of their way to be helpful.

Like Khun McGriffith, I also have had problems with my Bangkok Bank ATM card not validating at the check-out counter, but at this branch there's a BB ATM just outside the door, so it's no problem to get cash.

I congratulate Khun Jungian on his experience with Samsung : I just had the compressor on my LG air-con fail, and replaced it with a non LG brand to save money : it was so far out of warranty I didn't even think about going to LG.

regards, ~o:37;

Rimping are normally very good at store level. Just not good at responding to any e-mails.

Returning to the thread topic, here's yet another vote for Rimping's customer service, with a bonus vote for their email response (in contrast to "brommers" experience above).

Recently sent email asking if my favorite mineral water ("Pi" brand), was in stock at my favorite branch (Nim City).

Response within a few hours, excellent English.

I've also used Rimping's free delivery service with good results.

(Three cases of that mineral water @ 18 kilos/case)

Delivered exactly when promised, brought up to my door, and set down right on the kitchen counter.

Wonderful service.

-- Oneman

I find the Rimping stores to be a bit expensive in comparison to prices at Tesco, or here in Canada, but at least they provide a wide variety of stuff you can't find elsewhere. And, everything is fresh and clean. I usually visit the one just off hwy 1141 near the airport. It's only a 15 minute walk from where I stay on Wiang Phing road.

Rim Ping is my favorite grocery store and I was really bummed when they closed the Chotana branch and it turned into a Tops -- definitely not the same. But, I do shop at Tops more now because that's the closest to home. Still, once every two weeks I venture to a Rim Ping, fill my cart and have them do a home delivery. I prefer the Nim City store near Airport Plaza but the delivery staff at the Narawat branch always offers to take me home, along with my groceries. Now that's service! If they'd just open a branch near KSK Central, Nimmanheiman or Chotana, I'd never have to venture into a Tops again.

About the snafu with the debit card. Hubby and I used to run a retail business and we did make a phone call about a declined credit card several times in front of the customer, when the customer insisted that the card should be valid. I figured they'd want know what caused the problem rather than just having us say, "your card was declined, do you have cash?" Of course every time I did this, I made sure it was out of ear-shot of other customers or staff.

Rim Ping is my favorite grocery store and I was really bummed when they closed the Chotana branch and it turned into a Tops -- definitely not the same. But, I do shop at Tops more now because that's the closest to home. Still, once every two weeks I venture to a Rim Ping, fill my cart and have them do a home delivery. I prefer the Nim City store near Airport Plaza but the delivery staff at the Narawat branch always offers to take me home, along with my groceries. Now that's service! If they'd just open a branch near KSK Central, Nimmanheiman or Chotana, I'd never have to venture into a Tops again.

About the snafu with the debit card. Hubby and I used to run a retail business and we did make a phone call about a declined credit card several times in front of the customer, when the customer insisted that the card should be valid. I figured they'd want know what caused the problem rather than just having us say, "your card was declined, do you have cash?" Of course every time I did this, I made sure it was out of ear-shot of other customers or staff.

NancyL,

Thank you. And I do not work for Rimping or own any share in it!

That market would be a "class act" in any city worldwide. It isn't Fortnum's, but it doesn't pretend to be. It is more like the grocery, Whole Foods, a grocery in America that is quite pricey but very, very good.

Anyway, the market is a wonderful place with all sorts of things on offer that one shouldn't expect to find in a provincial city like Chiang Mai. We are truly blessed!

But don't buy everything you need there, if you are sensitive to price. You'll go over-budget!

Regarding debit and credit cards, there might be an unrelated problem of a general nature other than simple day-to-day web glitches. There is a lot of card fraud in Thailand, as everyone knows. Sad, but true. I wouldn't blame that on the grocery store. So, step outside to an ATM (I think Rimping has one at every branch, although I am not certain!), get some cash, return and pay the chit! No need to make a HUGE fuss!

P.S. And some TV readers don't think I am interested in food!!!! Love good restaurants, but better to cook at home! Invite people in if you are lonely!! No need to listen (and later gossip about) what the visiting cook at the next table at a restaurant you happen to enjoy has to say to his dinner partners!

The nice thing is the rewards program. I just got an Ipod touch. Reatil price around 400-500 USD for 24,000 points. It was for my son but I want one also.

How does this work ?

Edited by triffid

How does this work ?

Just join at the customer service desk, they will give you a loyalty card (or 3) and hand over the card every time at the checkout, the more you spend the more points you get...and for anyone from the UK..we know...

points means prizes! ( UK game show saying)

I find the Rimping stores to be a bit expensive in comparison to prices at Tesco, or here in Canada, but at least they provide a wide variety of stuff you can't find elsewhere. And, everything is fresh and clean. I usually visit the one just off hwy 1141 near the airport. It's only a 15 minute walk from where I stay on Wiang Phing road.

On average, this is probably true by a few per cent. One has got to watch out for specific items, though. I happen to like Dutch Edam cheese on my breakfast sandwich. This costs 720 baht/kilo at Rimping. The last time I, by "accident", bought it at Tesco Lotus, it was 980 baht/kilo!

/ Priceless

the market is a wonderful place with all sorts of things on offer that one shouldn't expect to find in a provincial city like Chiang Mai.

I'll second that from "Mapguy", and offer yet another chorus of praise.

Indeed, the selection at Rimping is amazing, considering that we are in a remote corner of the world.

Yesterday (at Nim City branch), my shopping cart included Australian sirloin steaks, grilled artichokes, olive pesto, and a wonderful French baguette.

However, this thread is about the service orientation at Rim Ping, not the food, so I will add a couple of points to that.

Yesterday, I was searching for corned beef.

Asked at the fresh meat counter, but they didn't know what it is.

One of the staff practically sprinted through the store to find someone who did know.

An obviously senior manager appeared quickly to guide me to the canned corned beef shelf.

(Side note for anyone thinking of making corned beef and cabbage, as I want to do, there is no fresh corned beef at Rim Ping; only the canned variety -- not suitable.)

Another example of helpful service:

In Chiangmai, I practice defensive driving at all times -- I never drive anywhere.

So when at Rim Ping, just before I go to check out, I ask the customer service desk to call a taxi.

They do, and when my groceries are bagged, the taxi is arriving.

Nice service.

Then the security guard at the front door wheels my cart out to the taxi and loads the bags in.

I could easily do that, but he does, and I'm happy to tip him 20 baht every time.

He's happy, and I like that service, too.

Another area of the store with careful service, is the meat/cheese/deli counter.

The selection of meats and sausages is wide and tempting.

Also a very big selection of specialty olives.

They will cut, slice, and package anything exactly as you wish.

Yesterday, I wanted three "keets" of smoked bacon -- no problem.

A "keet" in Thai language is 100 grams.

Three "keets" is 300 grams -- an odd size for prepared packages, but done exactly to my request at the deli counter.

Yes, a great store, and one of the pleasures of life in Chiangmai.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

Oh Yes! We LOVE Rim Ping,too, and really wish there was a branch near Central/KSK area. Tops is a fairly poor replacement for RP. Seems like anytime we find something good at Tops it's guaranteed to be out of stock (almost) every time after. Sigh...

On average, this is probably true by a few per cent. One has got to watch out for specific items, though. I happen to like Dutch Edam cheese on my breakfast sandwich. This costs 720 baht/kilo at Rimping. The last time I, by "accident", bought it at Tesco Lotus, it was 980 baht/kilo!

/ Priceless

Agreed. Rimping offers surprising and delightful bargains for the judicious shopper.

As mentioned earlier, service at most establishments here is pretty good, but at Rimping, it's exceptionally good.

I also like that they don't have those high security scanners that one sees in other places. Maybe they do have them, but are discreetly placed, so unnoticeable. Either way, gives me a nice feeling, like a friendly neighborhood grocery store.

Don't forget the nice music they play, and the merciful lack of loud in-store advertising over the PA system.

Another vote for Rimping. Although some items are higher than elsewhere, I have found many which are better priced. I don't think anyone has mentioned that their wine selection and prices are surprisingly good. I have never had the problem mentioned by the original poster (although I am sure that was the fault of the supplier rather than Rimping).

Rimping anytime compared to Tops. Superb customer service, good reward programs, locations all over town, wide selection. Most importantly, you do not have to walk a mile within the store to buy a loaf of bread nor wait in long queues with 30 or more counters but only perhaps 8 opened at any one time. (talking about the likes of Carrefour, Tesco's and Big-C)

Hope they are here to stay for long long time. I particularly like shopping at Nim and Ruamchok branches.

edit: just to add that seafood is however a bit on the pricey side but promotions available sometimes. especially on Spanish Mackerel.

Edited by tigerbeer

"Limping" is great. Will even order items in for you (may need to be a fairly large quantity). If a group of us wanted some product from afar, we could band together & request an order.

I very much appreciate that they encourage recycling of their plastic bags.

If a group of us wanted some product from afar, we could band together & request an order.

Like Mt. Dew from America? I'd give an arm to find some of that in Thailand. Ok, maybe not an arm... :)

If a group of us wanted some product from afar, we could band together & request an order.

Like Mt. Dew from America? I'd give an arm to find some of that in Thailand. Ok, maybe not an arm... :)

We would all lend you a hand when we could :D .

I guess folk who might like Mt.Dew could p.m. you, or you could begin a new thread (if you dare :D ).

How does this work ?

Just join at the customer service desk, they will give you a loyalty card (or 3) and hand over the card every time at the checkout, the more you spend the more points you get...and for anyone from the UK..we know...

points means prizes! ( UK game show saying)

Are loyalty cards really free ?I was asked did I want one at at Kad Farang and a price was mentioned, in excess of a 100 baht from memory. At the time I was a bit light on so let it go and promptly forgot about it.My interest is re kindled

The nice thing is the rewards program. I just got an Ipod touch. Reatil price around 400-500 USD for 24,000 points. It was for my son but I want one also.

I've just been enquiring at Rimping about the Points Card (cost 90baht) and it seems, they give 1 point for every 25baht spent.

So, by my calculations, your 24,000 points will have required you to spend 600,000 baht = £11,000 or $17,500 approx. Spending 5,500baht a week would take over 2 years to accumulate 24,000points. Are these figures about right? I think it would take me about 5 years to get 24,000points. As the meat and fish counters are much larger and more varied at Carrefour, lots of shopping money gets spent there. Not sure its worth the bother.