Can You Obtain A Work Permit On A Non-immigrant Ed?

Since an ED visa is a non immigrant visa it should be possible. But that will depend upon the local labor department office. The requirements only state a non immigrant visa is required.

Of course if a person gets a job and work permit they can get a B visa/extension and still go to school. If they lost their job they could then switch back to a ED extension.

I am not sure that is written rule. And anyway after the job is started I don't think anybody would check. To get the ED extension at a lot of schools it only requires 4 hours of study a week.

I am not sure that is written rule. And anyway after the job is started I don't think anybody would check. To get the ED extension at a lot of schools it only requires 4 hours of study a week.

That sounds about right.

It would be interesting to hear if it is possible to obtain a work permit with a non-immigrant ED.

Edited by SEETEFL

I'm not too sure, can't recall a precedent on the ED visa.

There was talk in the thread of a student wishing to start the road to residency, and there it was said that his biggest stumbling block would be the lack of work permit/work/income tax due to him being on an ED visa.

It's also not entirely correct that labor department only needs a non-immigrant visa of any kind.

For example a non immigrant O extended based on retirement will have labor department turn you down for a WP.

I'll just repost the main point of my reply from the previous topic here in that this is more specific question now.

I have a Non-ED, got my work permit on it and have renewed my WP for the last 16 years on it. But then I work at an educational facility (University) if that makes a difference.

//edit - it may be possible that the current rules do not allow a new work permit to be issued on a Non-ED and I'm grandfathered into the system.

I believe there was a topic similar to this some time ago and it also resulted in being non-conclusive regarding current ruling on obtaining a new WP on a non-ED. This is my 2nd WP on a non-ed though not two applications for one, just the first one got filled up. I probably have around 20-25 WP renewals on a non-ED due to various issues of re-alignment of position and fiscal dates (why there is more then just 16 for 16 years).

BTW: The position I hold at the University is formally titled by the government as "foreign expert" and not lecturer/teacher though I am currently an invited lecturer and used to teach a semester special session graduate course. My title via the university is Senior Researcher.

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing is ever certain...

But when I was in school here I was told no... I ended up needing to switch to extension based upon marriage and then get WP for job and then continue my studies using different reason for extension.

I didn't really pursue the issue since I had an alternative route available, so not really sure if push came to shove if it would have been posible.

I probably have around 20-25 WP renewals on a non-ED due to various issues of re-alignment of position and fiscal dates (why there is more then just 16 for 16 years).

BTW: The position I hold at the University is formally titled by the government as "foreign expert" and not lecturer/teacher though I am currently an invited lecturer and used to teach a semester special session graduate course. My title via the university is Senior Researcher.

I may be mistaken, but I believe if the purpose of the non-ed is tostudy then no, if the purpose of the non-ed is to teach as a guest lecturer (as in your case) then maybe yes.

His non-ed was for the purpose of studying Thai, this may make a difference.

One of our staff spoke to Mrs. Suranut and Mrs. Saisunee, both immigration officers, at Chiang Mai Immigration today. Both said it isn't possible. You would need to change the visa. Of course, this may not be true for other provinces.

Immigration is not the people to ask work permit questions. You need to talk to the Department of Employment Office

(aka labor departemnt).

According the the written rules it is possible.