Letter Of Guarantee

I am on a retirement Visa and have a letter of Guarantee from my Embassy dated 2006 guaranteeing my pension this has been acceptable at Khap Chong and Thali immigration . But prior to this I was always asked to get a new letter every year. I ask why because when you are Retired your pension is for life . This is a Company pension not the state pension yet as I am not 65 .

My question is one letter of guarantee should be okay am I correct or not or do immigration offices make there own rules about this, I have sent an email to Nong Khai about this as my next renewal will be at this office but as yet no reply.

Also some offices require a Thai translation of your letter.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new letter is required every year at most offices. I am sure it will be required for Nong Kai.

All the latest reports indicate that a translation is not needed if the letter is in English at any immigration office.

If not in English then certification of the translation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would also be required.

In the recent past I was allow to use the letter from the Embassy, for the last two years the Immigration Officer has told me to get a new letter every year. My guess is it has something to do with the strenght of the Baht againist the Pound, Euro and the all might dollar, also some retirees get a little raise in their pension :D:)

A new letter is required every year at most offices. I am sure it will be required for Nong Kai.

All the latest reports indicate that a translation is not needed if the letter is in English at any immigration office.

If not in English then certification of the translation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would also be required.

Thanks for that, another question but I will ring the Nong Khai office my visa ends on 4 Th July do you know how many days before expiration nong Khai like you to renew ?

Thanks for that, another question but I will ring the Nong Khai office my visa ends on 4 Th July do you know how many days before expiration nong Khai like you to renew ?

Hiya macb,

This is a timely qestion as i was about to post that i had just received via post a letter from the N.Khai Immigration office kindly reminding me my renewal is due soon and that i can rewew it up to 30 days before if i wish to do so.

Kudos to them for doing so and also inviting me to telephone the office or email them to make an appiontment if i wish to also.

I,m planning as I always do to go on the first opening day nearest to the start of the 30 days allowed.

I haven,t bothered contacting them because of this and also it is usually pointless making any sort of appt. as a general rule...

Thai time an all. ( not a criticsm by the way, just how it is and fair play to Thai culture )

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

Within the last 30 days.

Nong Kai will also want to see a bank book showing deposits (transfers) and withdrawls to go along with the income letter.

Good luck with Nong Kai immigration because the have a reputation for not being very friendly.

Within the last 30 days.

Nong Kai will also want to see a bank book showing deposits (transfers) and withdrawls to go along with the income letter.

Good luck with Nong Kai immigration because the have a reputation for not being very friendly.

Nong Khai is usually O.K. if visitors show respect and follow the local rules.

Posters usually let the forum know of any changes, as indeed i always do after my renewals.

I,m sure other regulars will support this as well.

Not having a go at the poster, just defending N. Khai as i have found it over several Retirement renewals and 90 day reporting ect.

P.S.

Don,t forget to photo copy all pages of your bank book ( make it 2 of each just in case ) along with all the other of relevant documentation.

Edited by marshbags

follow the local rules

And that is the big problem with that specific location - they often made up there own local rules and people did not know them - as they were counter to those in every other office.

There really should not be any difference if you do your processing in point A or point Z. But here in Thailand there often is - and Nong Khai has often been mentioned as a place with really unique requirements. After a while they do get a reputation. I used past tense as I have seen reports of improvement and hope that at some point all offices will be reading the same information from the same play book and we can just post a sticky for everyone. :)

I am on a retirement Visa and have a letter of Guarantee from my Embassy dated 2006 guaranteeing my pension this has been acceptable at Khap Chong and Thali immigration . But prior to this I was always asked to get a new letter every year. I ask why because when you are Retired your pension is for life . This is a Company pension not the state pension yet as I am not 65 .

My question is one letter of guarantee should be okay am I correct or not or do immigration offices make there own rules about this, I have sent an email to Nong Khai about this as my next renewal will be at this office but as yet no reply.

Also some offices require a Thai translation of your letter.

Hi Mac,

When you got the letter did they base it on the Gross or Net figures and what eveidence did they require?

Taff

Firstly:

I have never had to show any bank book. or withdrawals etc. My Pension is paid into a UK bank and is drawn from the UK. I only have to guarantee my monthly income meets the amount required for a Retirement Visa. I don't have a bank book or receive statements, I think this relates to the lump some requirement.

TAFF.

letter of Guarantee for your pension if you go on the monthly income requirement

Or letter from bank if you go for lump some in Thailand

Firstly:

I have never had to show any bank book. or withdrawals etc. My Pension is paid into a UK bank and is drawn from the UK. I only have to guarantee my monthly income meets the amount required for a Retirement Visa. I don't have a bank book or receive statements, I think this relates to the lump some requirement.

TAFF.

letter of Guarantee for your pension if you go on the monthly income requirement

Or letter from bank if you go for lump some in Thailand

You can try but all reports for Nong Kai indicate they want to see a bank book as a back up to the letter.

Nong Kai is not the only office that asks for it and some even want a letter from the bank to confirm the account.

I know that the rules don't require it but as has been said you will find that some offices make up their own rules.

You should go to Nong Kai next week and try for your extension because I have a feeling you are going to make sevaral trips before you make them happy and they accept your application.

Unless you live in the immediate area of Buengken (Buengkan, Phakkat, Seka, Si Wilai, Pon Charoen, Bung Khai, Phon Pisai, Fao Rai, Raltanawapi, or Bueng Khon Long Districts) you should use Nong Khai Office.

See this list that will tell you what office to go to. It depends upon where you live.

Immigration_areas_North_East_Thailand.pdf

I will be going to see them on Monday and will up-date this post for everyone's information on my return, thanks again for your prompt replies and advice.

Mac,

Can you check if they accept 90day reports by post.

They havent responded to my emails and have had trouble raising them on the phone.

Thanks

Edited by Tafia

See this list that will tell you what office to go to. It depends upon where you live.

Immigration_areas_North_East_Thailand.pdf

I will be going to see them on Monday and will up-date this post for everyone's information on my return, thanks again for your prompt replies and advice.

Mac,

They havent responded to my emails and have had trouble raising them on the phone.

Thanks

Yes mate will do but I think 90 day reports gave to go to Bkk, will let you know.

Yes mate will do but I think 90 day reports gave to go to Bkk, will let you know.

Bangkok will no longer accept mail in reports unless that is your assigned office.

You have to report to your assigned office now if they accept mail in reports otherwise it a visit to them every 90 days.

follow the local rules

And that is the big problem with that specific location - they often made up there own local rules and people did not know them - as they were counter to those in every other office.

There really should not be any difference if you do your processing in point A or point Z. But here in Thailand there often is - and Nong Khai has often been mentioned as a place with really unique requirements. After a while they do get a reputation. I used past tense as I have seen reports of improvement and hope that at some point all offices will be reading the same information from the same play book and we can just post a sticky for everyone. :D

Nong Khai insist on asking for copies of every page of Bankbook and Bank statemant,but if you,politely,ask to speak with the boss,and point the relevant requests on their own English translation of Police Order xxxxxx,they may see the light! :D

Personal experience,2 months ago.They don't like me too much now,can't understand why? :)

Mac,

Thanks

Going by reports on our local forum they are now accepting 90 day reports by post.

I gather that wasn't the case in the recent past .

I also now face the prospect of having to deal with Nong Khai. :)

Nong Khai is usually O.K. if visitors show respect and follow the local rules.

I am always respectful towards immigration officers.

The same can not be said from some immigration officers at Nong Khai.

I guess you do NOT want to see any details published.

Note I never had issues with immigration officers at the airport nor at Soi Suan Phlu over the last 20 years. (40+ entries into the kingdom)

Edit: and yes I was informed a new letter from my embassy would be required each year when not using the 800K way of funding your retirement.

Edited by tartempion

Vsitors can be their own worst enemies sometimes.

I have personally witnessed the grief the officers get from visa applicants, telling them the rules and demanding they do like wise, not too politely because X or Y office does this and that.

There is so much attittude shown during the verbal exchanges and politeness is non existant and replaced with very aggresive behaviour towards the officers.

This in turn is then eventually reciprocated.

Now come on guys, this is Thailand and while it may be acceptable back home..........here it is taboo 100%.

Sadly after the person doing this is finished, succesfully or otherwise, the poor applicants following suffer because the officer is stressed out, unhappy and so on.

Language differences are the biggest problem and this can really make things difficult, especially with the multitude of dialects we have between us.

Whereby an officer may normally be willing to let certain things go or indeed try to find a way round smaller problems, once an interview or two have gone wrong, what else can be expected if the officer doesn,t wish / feel like doing so.

Go in any police station back home and start the above behaviour and you will get problems, big time, the same goes for most government departments who will at the very least make things very difficult for you to to get what you came for.

Being as prepared as possible by taking as much documentation as you have and photo copying everything in duplicate is always advisable.

Photo copies normally cost 50 satang - 1 baht and take very little time up having them done.

There is no need to rub them up the wrong way, for what reason ? when the cost is so small.

Doing them at Immigration is 10 baht and as an officer once told me, this is for the inconvenience and extra time it takes to do them.

He also said they,d rather not have to do themand the cost would hopefully put them off not having them next time ect.

The officer will also copy all the required duplications you need in one go by the way if this happens. and is very useful.

They usually do them for you and do not send you away, with you having to leave the interview, to do them yourself.

On the other hand it could cost mega time and in some cases a long round trip to get a particular document that,s sitting at home.

Extra P.port photo,s are also handy.

Yes i know i,m posting the obvious, but sometimes visitors listen to others who have heard from a friend about this and that, and finish up making a return trip or being wound up before they even get to the Immigration office.

On a 90 day C.of Address not long ago, an English couple went to N.Khai believing they could get a new retirement visa based on such useless misinformation.

They were very polite and the officer was in return and due to this listened patiently to what they had to say genuinely sympathised with them.

Sadly the best he could do was advise them to cross into Lao for a a single non O visa that would qualify them to apply at this office as per rules ect.

I seem to remember they went back to Bangkok or somewhere due to additional problems related to funds for the couple.

They had every right to be disappointed but kept polite throughout and thanked the officer and ourselves ( for trying to help them and for giving them our advice which we had given and prepared them for, prior to the office opening.

I was very impressed with them and i felt proud to be English for a change, with a great feel good factor to boot, but I also felt sorry for them as well.

Stay coolllllllllllll and smile outwardly, because anything else will be counter productive.

IMHE that is, anyway.

P.S.

Rant in aid of N.Khai,s nice side, that i have always been given in recent years.

Edited by marshbags

marshbags,

Do you know if they accept the 90day reports by post.

I know they didnt in the past but Bkk was accepting all postal reports then.

maybe as we have become regionalised they may have started to cut down on the number of visitors to the office.

I think mac is gonna check Monday while he is there in person.

Mac,

Thanks

Going by reports on our local forum they are now accepting 90 day reports by post.

I gather that wasn't the case in the recent past .

I also now face the prospect of having to deal with Nong Khai. :)

Well its wait and see, my account is in the UK they can have bank statements from my internet banking as I don't receive paper statements and if they want a bank letter my bank will not send mail to Thailand either, but I don't have a bank book.

Its all wait and see next Monday. I have never had a problem in 5 years I dont see why it should change now

marshbags,

maybe as we have become regionalised they may have started to cut down on the number of visitors to the office.

Thanks for your post Tafia and think it is best for macb to give you the very latest as he has offered to do after his visit on Monday.

If only all Immigration Offices responded to email enquiries of this nature, it sure is frustrating and could save a whole lot of worrying and as in your case probable inconvenience.

I.m also reporting next week and will post my experience as i always do, hopefully a positive one again.

I,ll see if i get the same reply on posting 90 day reports as macb does, by the way.

marshbags,

Thanks for your post Tafia and think it is best for macb to give you the very latest as he has offered to do after his visit on Monday.

If only all Immigration Offices responded to email enquiries of this nature, it sure is frustrating and could save a whole lot of worrying and as in your case probable inconvenience.

I.m also reporting next week and will post my experience as i always do, hopefully a positive one again.

I,ll see if i get the same reply on posting 90 day reports as macb does, by the way.

Its only in the last 9 months that I have used the postal service from Petchabun sending copies of passport and TM 47 reporting slip Bkk Imm spot on and very helpful and returned all my copies. The last time at the beginning of this month that informed I would need to go to Nong Khai to re-new my Visa, but nothing about I could not continue my 90 day reporting.

Check this link on Royal Thai Immigration

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days