Help

choppychugger

Have just found out our yellow bank book (Ayudhya) is missing - and nearly 200,000 thb has been taken out of our account. We last saw it on Friday. Being Sunday we are having a bit of a nightmare getting hold of the bank untill our branch opens in an hour.

Can someone else take money out from your own branch without I.D and just the book?

Because we have only just noticed - what chance do we stand of getting our money back?

This isnt case of a rogue family member, and please hold back on criticism for losing the bank book. I just really want to know if we can get the money back.

In despair

Choppy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think your chances of getting the money back are very slim....you must report it to the police and hopefully they get off there lazy butts and find out who has with drawn the cash from your bank book....If the account is under your name, which I`m assuming you are a farang then chances are very slim....

Without finding out who has taken your money theres no chance getting it back....

goodluck mate....200,000 is alot of beer.....

Andy

Edited by junki3korean

You need to do a police report for at least the lost book. The bank will want to see that.

They require that even if the book is just lost before they will give you a new book.

IMO the bank is responsible because they should ask for an ID before handing over the money and I think there may be even a law that says that.

You need to do a police report for at least the lost book. The bank will want to see that.

They require that even if the book is just lost before they will give you a new book.

IMO the bank is responsible because they should ask for an ID before handing over the money and I think there may be even a law that says that.

thats just been done and all good - but what do you think the chance of getting our money back is?

I would say that your chances of getting the money back is very good. It may take a bit but you will get it back.

They bank should never hand over money without an ID of some type being shown.

thats just been done and all good - but what do you think the chance of getting our money back is?

The same thing happened to my wife and I a couple of years ago, to the tune of about 60k baht.

Despite the fact that it was my wife's account and the security video clearly showed a Thai male withdrawing the bank denied all responsibility. The bank told us the the book was our responsibility and so therefore it was essentially our fault, a fair point about keeping the book safe but how they could clearly give the money to the wrong person is beyond me.

Of course the police where as helpful as an Igloo in the desert. You've lost the money mate i'm afraid, the best thing for you to do now is to put it behind you and learn from it (keep the book safe in the future)

The same thing happened to my wife and I a couple of years ago, to the tune of about 60k baht.

Despite the fact that it was my wife's account and the security video clearly showed a Thai male withdrawing the bank denied all responsibility. The bank told us the the book was our responsibility and so therefore it was essentially our fault, a fair point about keeping the book safe but how they could clearly give the money to the wrong person is beyond me.

Of course the police where as helpful as an Igloo in the desert. You've lost the money mate i'm afraid, the best thing for you to do now is to put it behind you and learn from it (keep the book safe in the future)

Ok - that was kinda the way we were looking at it. Ouch - lesson learnt, just waiting to herar what the bank says.

This gives rise to another subject which is closely related: Electronic money transfers. I use them and so my friend's email with an attached discussion of a court decision rendered in a case involving a foreign wire transfer from a bank in Canada to Switzerland that did not get get deposited was of interest to me. Apaprently, if a bank can show that followed it's instructions (swift documentation etc.),the bank that sends the money is not liable. In this case the money went from one reputable bank to another but was not deposited. I don't know how it got lost. The Swiss bank denied liability as well, saying that it never arrived.

So, here's my question to the Thai banking experts; In the OP's case, if there was a "mysterious disappearance" what is the bank's liability? In the case of a wire transfer that is not deposited. what is the bank's liability, if the claimant can show that the money was indeed sent? I rely on electronic banking so, what the heck am I supposed to do?

Normally they have to match your signature (to the invisible one in your passbook) and take a photocopy of your ID card for large withdrawals.

So unless the person also stole your ID card and looks similar to you, then it's probably the bank at fault.

Edited by dave111223

My partner has just been to one of the banks branches - apparently they have told her that we have to wait to access the account until we are at the bank we opened the account in. So ALL we can do today is cancel the account? <deleted>

She was also told that if someone took the money then they cant give us the money back.

I guess the only thing I can do is get a picture copy of the culprit, and put up some reward posters in our local area??

I am out of the country, if anyone has a contact number for Ayyudhya bank in Phuket would really be appreciated.

cheers

I would say the bank is at fault.

I had one case where I transferred money to someone at the bank counter and the bank clerk punched in the details wrongly.

In other words I filled out the paper correctly and they punched in a wrong number so it went to the wrong acct.

In fact if I had have checked correctly I would have seen the wrong name on the receipt print out.

I only noticed when I double checked the receipt at home( the next day - weekend)

I took it to the bank on the Monday and they automatically corrected the mistake (person X hadn't spent the money yet!).

I asked the bank supervisor what would happen if person X's acct empty. She said bank clerk who made the mistake would have to take responsibility.

Many times at the bank desk I have been asked to rewrite my signature because it is not the same on the bank book (I am someone who often signs differently), and they know my face at the bank, so I don't see how this person got away with it.

It happenned to me once and it was because i used a computer with key logging software on it in bangkok , they got all my details and used my account to make international money transfers, so you have to be carefull now I wont do any bank transfers online unless I use my own PC and I always use norton internet security software to safegaurd against keyloggers and viruses etc.

Doesnt help that my partners signature is just her name written in her handwriting in Thai.

She just spoke to the main hotline and they reiterated that if some one else used the bank book to with draw cash then there is nothing we can do. They advised us to go to the branch and speak with the manager and view the video footage.

I am back tomorrow - and I think I am going to need a bit of wood to chew on as I'm not the coolest ( jai - yen ) person in these situations.

I must add that the bank acount is a joint one, with my signature on the book aswell. Surely they would have wanted both signatures???

Have just found out our yellow bank book (Ayudhya) is missing - and nearly 200,000 thb has been taken out of our account. We last saw it on Friday. Being Sunday we are having a bit of a nightmare getting hold of the bank untill our branch opens in an hour.

Can someone else take money out from your own branch without I.D and just the book?

Because we have only just noticed - what chance do we stand of getting our money back?

This isnt case of a rogue family member, and please hold back on criticism for losing the bank book. I just really want to know if we can get the money back.

In despair

Choppy

You say OUR bank book, does this mean that it was a joint account? If so, then surely both of you would have to sign to withdraw.

Doesnt help that my partners signature is just her name written in her handwriting in Thai.

She just spoke to the main hotline and they reiterated that if some one else used the bank book to with draw cash then there is nothing we can do. They advised us to go to the branch and speak with the manager and view the video footage.

I am back tomorrow - and I think I am going to need a bit of wood to chew on as I'm not the coolest ( jai - yen ) person in these situations.

I must add that the bank acount is a joint one, with my signature on the book aswell. Surely they would have wanted both signatures???

It will be interesting to hear if you recognise the peron who withdrew it!

Joint accounts can be one or both signature required depending on how you set them up.

You may need to consult a lawyer if bank will not accept responsibilty and indeed a false signature was used. They often act on your perceived power.

It will be interesting to hear if you recognise the peron who withdrew it!

Good luck and lets hope you can come out of the situation with good result :) My bank manager is OK and find him helpful so hope yours is to!!!

Fortunately I know a fairly reputable lawyer. Will wait and see how it goes tomorrow.

Lopburi3 - I will look into that also - We recently obtained a mortgage from another bank and needed a 6 month statement from Ayudhya bank. To obtain this we both needed to be present for signatures.

Sorry for my post above choppychugger, we were typing at the same time and yours got there before mine! Anyway good luck with everything and please let us know the outcome.

W

Edited by Westerner

Joint accounts can be one or both signature required depending on how you set them up.

You may need to consult a lawyer if bank will not accept responsibilty and indeed a false signature was used. They often act on your perceived power.

Correct, I hav a joint account with my wife and it was set up so that either one of us can withdraw alone.

I's also go see a lawyer and see what can be done as it's the banks mistake.

Fortunately I know a fairly reputable lawyer. Will wait and see how it goes tomorrow.

Lopburi3 - I will look into that also - We recently obtained a mortgage from another bank and needed a 6 month statement from Ayudhya bank. To obtain this we both needed to be present for signatures.

That may be a different matter - my bank also insisted both of us be present to issue a letter of account balance for Immigration even though only one needs to sign for withdrawal. In there mind both account holders had to be present to get a statement but only one could take out all the money. No logic to it.

Edited by lopburi3