Western Transvestite In Bangkok

BobTheG

Hello, I'll be in Bangkok after 2 weeks. I'm a crossdresser from the UK and was wondering if it's safe to go around dressed as a woman. I don't want to feel too uncomfortable or to upset anyone. I found a possible place to stay at Somdet Chao Phraya/Khlong San near the river. What is that area like? I'd really prefer to avoid areas with lots of Westerners especially younger stag party/backpacker types as I've found them to be the most narrow minded. So for that reason are there any areas I should specifically avoid or go to?

Also are there any places which sell larger size shoes and places which would do false nails for men? How about leg waxing, I've found some places through searches but is there anywhere recommended? Thanks, Bob

Edited by BobTheG

I used to see a western MTF transgendered person on the BTS going home from work often and never once did I see anyone take a second look at her. I also had a Dutch MTF acquaintance that lived in Bkk for a number of years, and remember she told me she never had any issues in her daily life with harrassment either. In my opinion, it might be best to avoid Kaow San Rd (backpacker central) and maybe lower Sukhumvit sois as both areas of the city are farang ghettos of sorts, so you might encounter discrimination there.

I think any nail salon place would be more than happy to accomodate you, and also i think there may be a couple of shops in Pratunam that sell large size shoes that I'm sure would accentuate your calves fabulously! :)

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your trip here!

Bob,

i would say that you absolutely have nothing to fear in Thailand, in my experience it is one of the most open and tolerant places i've seen.

i was attacked insulted harressed ect..... in different parts of the world but never ever in Thailand, people will not even stair or give you any look.

... I'm a crossdresser from the UK and was wondering if it's safe to go around dressed as a woman. I don't want to feel too uncomfortable or to upset anyone. ...

I think it depends if you look like a woman or if you look like a bloke in a frock.

You will be safe no matter what you look like and wherever you go like but if you look like a rugby player in mini skirt and stilettos then you can expect some people to take the piss.

... I'm a crossdresser from the UK and was wondering if it's safe to go around dressed as a woman. I don't want to feel too uncomfortable or to upset anyone. ...

I think it depends if you look like a woman or if you look like a bloke in a frock.

You will be safe no matter what you look like and wherever you go like but if you look like a rugby player in mini skirt and stilettos then you can expect some people to take the piss.

I saw a farang crossdresser walking past Tony Roma's near Nana BTS last month....looked like a bloke in a frock. No one seemed at all bothered by it.

"if you look like a rugby player in mini skirt and stilettos then you can expect some people to take the piss. "

A bit of piss taking I can handle, just want to avoid large groups where it can happen so Sukhimvit seems out.

"as long as you keep your dick in your dress you should be ok"

LOL! Well in public yes I'm sure I can do that.

"I hear the double A stationery store do a good range of heavy duty scotch tape"

LMAO!! Yes but I'm sure I can buy before I go...

"I hope they have a good supply of brown paper bags also"

<confused> whatever for?

I have a different point.

Not sure whether you want to get friendly with other cross dressers / TVs in Bangkok (and I realize that their not the same).

Why? Gatoey , as they are known in Thailand (meaning TVs) have a somewhat negative image (not all of course) and many Thais will look and say "Isn't she beautiful", knowing full well that it's a gatoey, but would not want to get friendly, because of stories about theft, etc. But I say again quickly, not all are like this.

As other posters have shared, the chance of violence or abuse is just about zero. Thais are very tolerant and generally quite open minded. "It's his/her life and up to you" additude is quite strong. Thais are not violent people, and they will go out of their way to avoid violence.

I'm aware of a recent incident when a group of Western and Thai gatoeys were thrown out of an expensive up market family oriented condo buildng here in Bangkok because they were loud, rude to the other condo owners, stole things from the lobby, and had a constant trail of paying customers into their room. And the owner had quite a big bill to fix the damage caused to the walls, furniture, etc.,

As I said, suggest you be a little careful of you you get friendly with - but maybe that's not in your plans anyway. Plus, of course, you can find good and and not so good people in any sector of any society.

Perhaps you might like to post a 'report' after your visit. I'm sure there must be quite a few people who would interested to read about your adventures and experiences in Thailand.

Welcome, and please enjoy.

i would say that you absolutely have nothing to fear in Thailand, in my experience it is one of the most open and tolerant places i've seen.

i was attacked insulted harressed ect..... in different parts of the world but never ever in Thailand, people will not even stair or give you any look.

While tolerance is generally pretty broad (to coin a phrase), it is not limitless. I once saw an old Thai woman spit in the face of a Thai ladyboy.