Thailand - Tourism Disaster?

Abrak

I don't think the decline of tourists is good though I do like having room to walk on Sukhumwit. It's bad because it will increase crime and negative feelings towards Farangs even though it's not our fault Thailand has shot itself in the foot repeatedly then moved on to shot itself in the hands and maybe now even head. I posted on another thread I feel quite safe in Bangkok which is true however I don't feel safe at all in Phuket and would seriously question taking a holiday there vs. another safer destination. I do find many friendly and good matured Thai's but they are offset by a lot of aggressive arrogant and possibly dangerous touts harassing and exploiting tourists to an increasing degree. Think about it would you honestly let your old mother walk down most streets in Thailand?

Ah seriously! :) 'Would you honestly let yer ol' mum walk down most streets in Thailand' :D:D

Yer Ol' Mum would most certainly be 10000% safer 'walking down any soi, er street in Thailand'. Day or night, unlike some poor old biddy out on her way home from a night on the lash in Glasgie :D

My Mum is 80, lives in Govan and she's never had a problem.

She refuses to come to Thailand though, so we can't put your theory to the test.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put money on that Thailand will be back to normal in a few years, depending on if the globe recovers that quickly which im hoping for.

I'll take that bet.

One inevitable event and the period that follows wont be conducive to tourism.

The political crisis is far from over.

Thai society is more divided than ever.

The Southern insurgency looks to continue for the foreseeable and even worsen.

Border disagreements with neighbours remain unresolved, could even escalate into further violence.

Increasing censorship of the media and free speech.

Increasing bad press for Thailand internationally.

And much more.

There's so much more hindering a full recovery than just the global economy I'm sad to say, and I haven't even taken into account any of the factors why repeat tourists have decided not to return; higher prices, poorer service, increasing scams, more unfriendliness towards foreigners, visa hassles, airport closures, etc, etc, etc.

Thailand's had its day, other nations are now moving into the ascendency.

I would put money on that Thailand will be back to normal in a few years, depending on if the globe recovers that quickly which im hoping for.

I'll take that bet.

One inevitable event and the period that follows wont be conducive to tourism.

The political crisis is far from over.

Thai society is more divided than ever.

The Southern insurgency looks to continue for the foreseeable and even worsen.

Border disagreements with neighbours remain unresolved, could even escalate into further violence.

Increasing censorship of the media and free speech.

Increasing bad press for Thailand internationally.

And much more.

There's so much more hindering a full recovery than just the global economy I'm sad to say, and I haven't even taken into account any of the factors why repeat tourists have decided not to return; higher prices, poorer service, increasing scams, more unfriendliness towards foreigners, visa hassles, airport closures, etc, etc, etc.

Thailand's had its day, other nations are now moving into the ascendency.

Thats what people have been saying for 10 years. Some of the above have basically no impact on Tourism, most tourists dont even know Cambodia and Thailand hate each other.

Tourism is down everywhere, there is a global crisis on at the moment, ofcourse the numbers will be down. Thats just common sense.

Even the Tsunami didnt affect tourism as bad as everyone first though. I believe Thailand will always be a good tourist destination as long as the baht drops alittle more.

Thats what people have been saying for 10 years. Some of the above have basically no impact on Tourism, most tourists dont even know Cambodia and Thailand hate each other.

Tourism is down everywhere, there is a global crisis on at the moment, ofcourse the numbers will be down. Thats just common sense.

Even the Tsunami didnt affect tourism as bad as everyone first though. I believe Thailand will always be a good tourist destination as long as the baht drops alittle more.

10 years ago the outlook for Thai tourism was rosy, and none of the problems I highlighted were going to affect growth.

However 10 years ago was 10 years ago and Thailand has changed, not to mention rival markets which didn't really exist 10 years ago are finally getting their acts together.

I believe the mid 2000's will have seen tourism to Thailand at its peak, due to the factors I listed.

So far you have provided no evidence to the contrary other than the myopic, and widely held Thai belief, that if and when the global economy recovers everything will be back to boom times. Misplaced optimism IMO. Things were on the slide way before then.

Edited by Oberkommando

10 years ago the outlook for Thai tourism was rosy, and none of the problems I highlighted were going to affect growth.

However 10 years ago was 10 years ago and Thailand has changed, not to mention rival markets which didn't really exist 10 years ago are finally getting their acts together.

I believe the mid 2000's will have seen tourism to Thailand at its peak, due to the factors I listed.

So far you have provided no evidence to the contrary other than the myopic, and widely held Thai belief, that if and when the global economy recovers everything will be back to boom times. Misplaced optimism IMO. Things were on the slide way before then.

This is a key factor. Once the global economic situation betters, there will be more tourists in total. And even if Thailand can overcome all the latest bad publicity and actually goes out to attract tourists, the other countries who are doing a better job will be getting their share.  Thailand had close to a monopoly as a SE Asia destination for a number of years now.  No more.

None of us have provided evidence. What you have stated is your opinion on what will affect tourists in Thailand for the future.

Thailand has had political unrest and negative international media for decades.

Thailand's tourist numbers will always be unpredictable as we have seen in the past.

One thing to remember is that what Thailand actually achieved in terms of tourism was fairly impressive. I think last year they had close to 15 million visitors while say the Phillipines had around 1.5m. Bali is 3 times the size of Phuket but will probably have 2m tourists or so while Phuket even with numbers down will manage about 4 million.

As someone stated, Thailand gained a near monopoly in the tourist industry that was bound to be eroded at some point especially as the country has no obvious competitive advantages other than the sex trade.

How many of those millions are airport 30 day visa runners who live here (ha ha)? I think all of those are counted so what do those numbers really mean, exactly? I don't trust statistics in general but statistics in Thailand are a fiction on a higher level.

Simple answer really, in aviation English is the required language and you will see English in all major airports around the World.

If Thais can live well without farang, why are so many driving cars, using telephones, watching televisions, eating at McDonalds and going to the cinema?

Pol Pot had a similar vision of Cambodia returning the country to year zero without foreign influence and restoring the pride of the Khmer empire and look what happened there.

Oberkommando is correct, but so is Birdman to a degree. Thais CAN live on very little. Those living in the country and small villages been doing so for centuries. But, WHO WANTS TO? Thais used to walk everywhere or take bicycles. Today, most Thais won't walk 200 meters if they can ride a motorscooter.

Packaged fast foods are almost an epidemic and you see their wrappers tossed everywhere.

Most of us who have become accustomed to luxuries don't want to give them up and will make excuses why we shouldn't. People all over the world have access to the internet and they SEE what others have, and only naturally want the same. Nobody wants to go backwards, and to think anybody would do so willingly is foolish.

When I got home to Canada at the end of March I was continually being asked about the dreadful problems in Thailand. I said "What problems? I didn't have any problems." That is because I was not involved with the airport fiasco and I stayed away from any and all political rallies. That doesn't mean there weren't terrible reports sent all over the world which DID affect the tourism industry in a VERY negative manner. The fiasco at the airport probably did more damage to the Thai tourism industry than even the down turn in the economy. Foreign governments were issuing travel warnings to all travel agencies throughout the world recommending not visiting Thailand. It will take a while for people to forget.

Most of us understand that tourist facilities expansion was happening too quickly in Thailand and eventually the bubble would burst. Well, it has burst and it will take a while to recover. I just feel sorry for all those that were affected at the lower end of the pay scale. For many it was the only good paying job they had.

When I got home to Canada at the end of March I was continually being asked about the dreadful problems in Thailand. I said "What problems? I didn't have any problems." That is because I was not involved with the airport fiasco and I stayed away from any and all political rallies. That doesn't mean there weren't terrible reports sent all over the world which DID affect the tourism industry in a VERY negative manner. The fiasco at the airport probably did more damage to the Thai tourism industry than even the down turn in the economy. Foreign governments were issuing travel warnings to all travel agencies throughout the world recommending not visiting Thailand. It will take a while for people to forget.

OK i spent 4 days sleeping in airports in London/India and Singapore and an extra 500gbp to get here due to the airport closure last year, that didnt stop me returning ....... On April 2009 the day of Songkran i got to BKK was staying in Petchburi Rd Soi 1 and was awoken to 1000's of army and police firing what at the time i thought was live amunition at protesters i met the night before, there were buses on fire and it was total chaos .... whilst this made me check out the hotel 1 day later it wouldnt stop me coming back.

But what will stop me coming back is feeling threatened in situations similar to that in post 32

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2776240

And the general anomosity and genuine dislike Thais seem to be more willing to let out towards farang these days, when they arent getting their easy money off stupid farang! And i just cant see how this is going to get any better with an inevitable retraction of the tourist industry.

Edited by ilovefashionTV

Those of us who know and love Thailand won't stop coming. Most of us know how to circumvent all the troublesome spots. We understand the problems with immigration and tourist visas. We know there are problems and risks involved when dealing with police. We understand the risks of driving and traveling on Thai roads. We know the Thai government is not a particularly stable one and there is only a limited amount of help from our respective consulates if we get into trouble. But, we weigh the risks and think it's still worth it.

The problem lies with foreigners who don't understand what we know, and they are negatively influenced by bad press reports. The bad world economy just ascerbates the problem.

The problem lies with foreigners who don't understand what we know, and they are negatively influenced by bad press reports. The bad world economy just ascerbates the problem.

To most of the world's population, (people who are not members of this or similar Thai oriented boards + certain % of former visitors) Thailand is not much different to, say, Tanzania. One bad word and they cross it off of their list.

I just heard something on the news, saying that the Thai government was suddenly going to listen to posts on TV and use TV as a basis for the governmental discussions. Turns out that its easier for them to just replace names on here and read the bickering bs arguments back and forth to each other than waste time coming up with their own, equally pointless arguments.

If it isn't one thing with you people, its another. Price of beer, price of food, price of hotels, price of airfare. Why, back when I was a boy, I was able to by a 1kg bag of candy for a tuppence! Blimey gor! Gas was $0.10/gallon! Yarr! Me dubloons ain't worth a brass farthing in Siam! Rebel scum! Vive le Revolution! Vive le Roi! Up the proletariat! Sir! The peasants are revolting! They've always been revolting, now they're rebelling! You just don't understand the complexities of Thai society, they're so sweet and innocent, just like little children!

Yawn. There. I've summed up the rest of this thread in almost as equally derogatory manner as I'm sure you lot will manage. Next thread please.

I just heard something on the news, saying that the Thai government was suddenly going to listen to posts on TV and use TV as a basis for the governmental discussions. Turns out that its easier for them to just replace names on here and read the bickering bs arguments back and forth to each other than waste time coming up with their own, equally pointless arguments.

If it isn't one thing with you people, its another. Price of beer, price of food, price of hotels, price of airfare. Why, back when I was a boy, I was able to by a 1kg bag of candy for a tuppence! Blimey gor! Gas was $0.10/gallon! Yarr! Me dubloons ain't worth a brass farthing in Siam! Rebel scum! Vive le Revolution! Vive le Roi! Up the proletariat! Sir! The peasants are revolting! They've always been revolting, now they're rebelling! You just don't understand the complexities of Thai society, they're so sweet and innocent, just like little children!

Yawn. There. I've summed up the rest of this thread in almost as equally derogatory manner as I'm sure you lot will manage. Next thread please.

Look Hobbler if you go back to the original post you will see it raises a very valid question. Which is why this year is say Bali seeing record numbers of tourists by say 20% while Thailand is seeing tourists numbers drop 20%. That is bound to get a wide range of responses from Thais are xenophobic bastards to tourists are put off by all the farang scumbags that are permitted to pollute the country.

Tourists are turning away from this country and going elsewhere - it is a simple fact. Maybe a bunch of cynical expats puts them off, if thats your point well fine. When you consider that the number of 5 star hotel rooms in Bangkok is going to increase 40% over the next 4 years but current occupancy is 15-30% you are looking at a major economic disaster.

Surely you have something better to do than dismissing a thread that you clearly havent read the point of in the first place.

Look at the numbers of tourists in Bali compared to Thailand and you'll have your answer. We all wish that tourist numbers in Thailand would drop to the levels found in Bali, but it just isn't going to happen. We are stuck with this tourist madness here in Thailand and while we are enjoying a brief respite as it is the low season and there is the advantage of a worldwide economic slump, the good news won't last long.

Reading thru the posts it seems most of us are in agreement that the dramatic rise of tourism in Thailand has been a disaster, that a few Thais and many foreigners do make a phenomenal amount of money off the labors of a few underpaid workers, and that things were much more sustainable a decade or two past. Let's hope this tendency toward a more positive tourist industry (mainly smaller numbers) continues.

While I don't see that "most" agree on the disastrous increase in tourist numbers, I would agree, though IMO it is the increase of high end tourists that has been most detrimental. These people have no interest in Thailand other than as an exotic destination, with luxurious hotels and fawning staff. To feed their endless demands for "infinity pools" and other obscenities, once beautiful beaches have been destroyed, forests and mangroves encroached, local populations enticed to become servants in their own lands.

Ever since the economic crisis loomed last year, I have been writing that I hope all the development companies go bankrupt, and all the farang "investors" lose everything that they commited in the name of greed over environment. I still hope that, though it may not mean a return to those idyllic beaches of the mid '90s. Once a perfect beach has been overbuilt with concrete monstrocities, there's probably no going back.

Do you have any facts to back your statement that "many foreigners make lots of money off poor Thais"? I'd have thought that those who own the land make the real money.

IMO, even if there is a return to smaller tourist numbers, the genie is not going to go back in the bottle, with some magical return to life as it was 15 years ago.

OK i spent 4 days sleeping in airports in London/India and Singapore and an extra 500gbp to get here due to the airport closure last year, that didnt stop me returning ....... On April 2009 the day of Songkran i got to BKK was staying in Petchburi Rd Soi 1 and was awoken to 1000's of army and police firing what at the time i thought was live amunition at protesters i met the night before, there were buses on fire and it was total chaos .... whilst this made me check out the hotel 1 day later it wouldnt stop me coming back.

But what will stop me coming back is feeling threatened in situations similar to that in post 32

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2776240

And the general anomosity and genuine dislike Thais seem to be more willing to let out towards farang these days, when they arent getting their easy money off stupid farang! And i just cant see how this is going to get any better with an inevitable retraction of the tourist industry.

Nothing is going to stop me RETURNING to Thailand, even the situation as related in post 32 ( that sort of thing has been going on with baht bus drivers as long as I've been going to Pattaya- a very long time ), unless Cambodia can recreate the night life and ease of living that I experienced in Thailand in the early to late '90s. If that happens, it's bye bye Thailand, hello Cambodia. Bad and nasty people exist in every country that I've lived in, but nowhere beats the friendliness of the average Thai bar girl.

Reading thru the posts it seems most of us are in agreement that the dramatic rise of tourism in Thailand has been a disaster, that a few Thais and many foreigners do make a phenomenal amount of money off the labors of a few underpaid workers, and that things were much more sustainable a decade or two past. Let's hope this tendency toward a more positive tourist industry (mainly smaller numbers) continues.

I would like to see your evidence that most of the money earned from tourism in Thailand goes into the pockets of foreigners.

I would like to see your evidence that most of the money earned from tourism in Thailand goes into the pockets of foreigners.

You misread my post which was admittedly written poorly. I didn't say that most of the money earned from tourism in Thailand goes into the pockets of foreigners. What I was implying was that most of the big profits goes to the many foreigners and the small percentage of Thais who own the properties. The large portion of Thais in the tourism industry are eeking out a living and earning chump change while they are forced to abandon the communities they grew up in and live a difficult migratory existence.

You misread my post which was admittedly written poorly. I didn't say that most of the money earned from tourism in Thailand goes into the pockets of foreigners. What I was implying was that most of the big profits goes to the many foreigners and the small percentage of Thais who own the properties. The large portion of Thais in the tourism industry are eeking out a living and earning chump change while they are forced to abandon the communities they grew up in and live a difficult migratory existence.

Would like to know how a farang couple staying at Thai owned hotel in Hua Hin is responsible for the above in bold?

It isnt the one incident that bothers me, but more the growing hatred towards us farang from a significant section of Thais in tourist resorts.

English people would be a lot more respectful to Thais coming to England then what exists the other way round.

I speak a little Thai and try to be polite when dealing with Thais, but I almost never feel that they are anything but friendly and helpful to me. I don't know what you people are doing to them.

The truth is that I'm surprised that more of them don't hate us. I hear how a fairly big percentage of farangs treat my staff when they do not know I am listening. It is like Thais treat stray dogs when something is bothering them.

The amazing thing is that as soon as I stick my head out from the back room and ask if I can help them in English, their problem goes away. Most of the problems that I see are being caused by farangs, not Thais.

It isnt the one incident that bothers me, but more the growing hatred towards us farang from a significant section of Thais in tourist resorts.

English people would be a lot more respectful to Thais coming to England then what exists the other way round.

I speak a little Thai and try to be polite when dealing with Thais, but I almost never feel that they are anything but friendly and helpful to me. I don't know what you people are doing to them.

The truth is that I'm surprised that more of them don't hate us. I hear how a fairly big percentage of farangs treat my staff when they do not know I am listening. It is like Thais treat stray dogs when something is bothering them.

The amazing thing is that as soon as I stick my head out from the back room and ask if I can help them in English, their problem goes away. Most of the problems that I see are being caused by farangs, not Thais.

Im talking as a tourist not as someone involved in the expat scene.

I speak a little Thai and am very polite but in the centre of town they are without doubt ruder and there is an undercurrent of aggression that wasnt here 10 years ago, if farangs didnt constantly turn the other cheek there would be a lot of trouble.

I really doubt the differences in recent tourism trends between Bali and Thailand have anything to do with xenophobia or any other trivial social perception. I think it is all a matter of the global recession. Australians can't afford to come to Thailand in the numbers of previous years, so they now go join the masses of their fellow countrymen in Bali for a much more affordable vacation. Thailand is losing not only the Aussies electing the less expensive trip to Bali, but Europeans now might opt for the Greek Isles instead of Thailand, and the Americans now may opt for Mexican beaches instead of Thailand. Geographically speaking, Thailand is not in the best location for attracting tourists during a recession, especially the beach resorts which offer nothing different from any other warm climate beach destination around the globe.

No, I did read the thread and its the same rubbish I've seen in many other posts. There are a few valid points, but the majority is just recycled crap from other threads, bringing nothing knew to the table.

As to why tourism in LOS is low right now . . . you have looked out the window, or read about the global economic downturn, right? "rainy season" "recession" Most people I know back in the states, even if they have secure jobs, are concerned about their jobs and saving. Vacations outside of the US are the last things on their mind. This is also the rainy season in LOS, when tourism usually plummets.

Fact: A lot of the occupancy rates at the 5 star hotels were from businesses. Global downturn, businesses suffer, businessmen don't travel as much.

Fact: 5 star hotels in LOS are cheaper, better staffed, and overall better than anything in the Greek isles. Greek "service" is miserable and surly on the best of days and part of why I will never set foot in a Greek speaking country again.

Fact: LOS is a long flight!

Fact: Every country in the world is on the brink of major economic disaster right now. The economic situation in LOS is partially due to the downturn in manufacturing and the weird tax structure the Thai government has on goods. Thaksin's policies didn't pay for themselves, no matter how much the non-tax paying people up in Isaan loved them.

Fact: Songtaew drivers are surly bastards that are often drunk. I don't expect anything from them other than point a to point b. I also always make sure I've got plenty of change/20 baht notes for them. Plan accordingly and never give them money you expect back.

Fact: Cost of living goes up. That tuktuk driver isn't expecting t go home to a bottle of lao khao anymore, he's expecting to go home to a bottle of lao khao and UBC.

Opinion: Bali is Ibiza for Aussies. No thanks.

Look Hobbler if you go back to the original post you will see it raises a very valid question. Which is why this year is say Bali seeing record numbers of tourists by say 20% while Thailand is seeing tourists numbers drop 20%. That is bound to get a wide range of responses from Thais are xenophobic bastards to tourists are put off by all the farang scumbags that are permitted to pollute the country.

Tourists are turning away from this country and going elsewhere - it is a simple fact. Maybe a bunch of cynical expats puts them off, if thats your point well fine. When you consider that the number of 5 star hotel rooms in Bangkok is going to increase 40% over the next 4 years but current occupancy is 15-30% you are looking at a major economic disaster.

Surely you have something better to do than dismissing a thread that you clearly havent read the point of in the first place.

Well in the touristy area's the problem is the drunk holigans who get drunk and abuse the Thai people, after taking it for awhile they will start to feel abit of hatred IMO, but I only think this would effect a small number of Thai's.

If Thai's were well known for coming to England and being abusive to the english people, I dont think the response would be a positive one either.

Look what happened in Australia, Cronulla had a few lebanese people abusing the aussies and then there was a full on riot. With what I have seen in Thailand, im suprised alot of Thai's have not caused a riot against farangs. But this is just my opinion of what I have witnessed.

Hobbler

Why state the obvious? If the thread is "rubbish" why contribute :D

It raises some valid points.

Of course there's a global downturn, it's low season and tourist numbers are down across the board. But we're not only talking about the here and now are we?

What does the future hold? Do you really think that 5* hotels are that much better or cheaper in LOS as opposed to other countries? Have you checked the rack rates recently! Beaches better? Culture unique?

That's the same kind of naive form of arrogance that's got the Thai tourism industry into a deep pile of doo-dah!

If you're sitting at home in Australia, Europe or America and wanted to take the wife and 2.2 kids somewhere "exotic" would you really pick Thailand when there are so many other destinations in the world?

I think not... :)

RAZZ

Hobbler

Why state the obvious? If the thread is "rubbish" why contribute :D

It raises some valid points.

Of course there's a global downturn, it's low season and tourist numbers are down across the board. But we're not only talking about the here and now are we?

What does the future hold? Do you really think that 5* hotels are that much better or cheaper in LOS as opposed to other countries? Have you checked the rack rates recently! Beaches better? Culture unique?

That's the same kind of naive form of arrogance that's got the Thai tourism industry into a deep pile of doo-dah!

If you're sitting at home in Australia, Europe or America and wanted to take the wife and 2.2 kids somewhere "exotic" would you really pick Thailand when there are so many other destinations in the world?

I think not... :)

RAZZ

Right now you wouldnt due to what has happend recently around the world, but I believe most of the tourists are here for the nightlife, there are far more party animals here then familes.

If the world recovers soon and the baht is more resonable, Thailand will always be a popular tourist destination and will be for years to come. Not even the Tsunami really effected Thailand to what everyone predicted.

And when alot of people think of an exotic holiday destination, Thailand will come to mind offen.

The only thing that will stop Thailand is,

- The baht staying High

- North Korea drops a bomb Thailand