Are There Any Banks Not Charging New 150 Baht Fee?

Are there any banks not charging this fee? I went in and took money with passport got dinged a 14.50 charge for taking 17,000 baht so that was no good.

14.50........ baht, $, GBP, Euro? And which Thai bank? (I'm betting US$ and Bank of Ayudhya - who are reported to charge 3% for over-the-counter-withdrawals....... not all Thai banks do)

ATM fee-free:

Government Savings Bank

UOB

AEON

Bank of Ayudhya (some confusion about whether it's still fee-free from all their ATM's and for how long)

Many posts on this subject - as well as over-the-counter withdrawals - in an existing topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...it-t255263.html

Reasonably up-to-date overview here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2769868

Are there any banks not charging this fee? I went in and took money with passport got dinged a 14.50 charge for taking 17,000 baht so that was no good.

please clarify,

you went in, which bank?

got dinged 14.50? what currency?

what type of card? debit or credit?

14.50........ baht, $, GBP, Euro? And which Thai bank? (I'm betting US$ and Bank of Ayudhya - who are reported to charge 3% for over-the-counter-withdrawals....... not all Thai banks do)

ATM fee-free:

Government Savings Bank

UOB

AEON

Bank of Ayudhya (some confusion about whether it's still fee-free from all their ATM's and for how long)

Many posts on this subject - as well as over-the-counter withdrawals - in an existing topic: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...it-t255263.html

Reasonably up-to-date overview here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2769868

Just tried Government Savings Bank in mall at Nongkhai and they wanted 150 baht. Aeon no charge.

Sorry about my post it was Farmers Bank or Kasakorn Bank with my bank in America. I made two transactions 1 was at an atm and I paid the 150 baht and took 17,200 baht the exchange rate was 34.05 this worked out to $505.76 US plus another 2 charges for non atm $5.00 plus $5.06 Farmers bank plus the 150 baht total for withdrawing my cash was about $14.50 US. Next day I went into Farmers Bank with my passport took a cash advance on my debit card for 17,000 baht and the exchange rate worked out to 34.34 costing me $495.56 US plus a International Transaction fee of $14.86 US. The total to get the 17,000 baht was about $510.33 .The big difference in exchange rates actually makes the 2nd transaction better for me I think. My brain is having a meltdown here maybe someone can crunch these numbers a little better and tell me what they think is the better deal? I think if I use an atm without the 150 baht charge that is my best bet???Thanks in advance.

Sorry about my post it was Farmers Bank or Kasakorn Bank with my bank in America. I made two transactions 1 was at an atm and I paid the 150 baht and took 17,200 baht the exchange rate was 34.05 this worked out to $505.76 US plus another 2 charges for non atm $5.00 plus $5.06 Farmers bank plus the 150 baht total for withdrawing my cash was about $14.50 US. Next day I went into Farmers Bank with my passport took a cash advance on my debit card for 17,000 baht and the exchange rate worked out to 34.34 costing me $495.56 US plus a International Transaction fee of $14.86 US. The total to get the 17,000 baht was about $510.33 .The big difference in exchange rates actually makes the 2nd transaction better for me I think. My brain is having a meltdown here maybe someone can crunch these numbers a little better and tell me what they think is the better deal? I think if I use an atm without the 150 baht charge that is my best bet???Thanks in advance.

Which two days did you receive the 34.05 rate and the 34.34 rate, respectively? You might want to check out the Bank of Thailand's average interbank rate for each of those days to see how much of the difference in exchange rates you received was simply due to market forces (supply and demand for the currencies involved).

17,000 baht and the exchange rate worked out to 34.34 costing me $495.56 US plus a International Transaction fee of $14.86 US.

It is the 3% that your home bank adds. It is also added to any credit card purchase in foreign currency.

Be careful with Ayuthha, although says no fee....when you get your statement from the UK 150 baht has been charged for each withdrawl

Realy ? my statement shows no 150 baht fee for using Ayudthaya ATM's in Pattaya and no mention of a charge on the ATM screen. :)

22-May.-09 Cash Bay/Thanon Pattaya Tai BR CHONBURI. 10000.00THB at 54.124.

3-Jun.-09 Cash Bay/Com Building Pattaya CHOLBURI. 5,000.00THB at 56.091.

• 2 months later...

At an ATM of UOB bank, I just withdrew 20,000 THB from my USD-denominated account at a US bank, and was not charged a fee. I only got 33.75 THB per USD, which is a little below the published rate today of 34.03 (on Yahoo Finance). I don't know if withdrawal through another bank's ATM would change the exchange rate; I doubt that it would.

Just tried Ayuthha yesterday - in The Mall, Bang Kae - it wanted 150 baht.

- Roger -

I use bank of Ayudhya in Thonglor and do not pay 150baht, I check my UK account on line and there is no indication of this fee, there is however a fee from my Uk bank

At an ATM of UOB bank, I just withdrew 20,000 THB from my USD-denominated account at a US bank, and was not charged a fee. I only got 33.75 THB per USD, which is a little below the published rate today of 34.03 (on Yahoo Finance). I don't know if withdrawal through another bank's ATM would change the exchange rate; I doubt that it would.

See my post on the long-running (and very comprehensive) thread already covering this subject. Rather than resurrect an old (and less detailed) thread on the same subject, I suggest that members post only on that one - so that all relevant information is in the same place (even if you have to plough through a lot of posts to find what you're looking for).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2953120

• 1 month later...

Well, three days after I made the above post, I went back and made another withdrawal from UOB bank, and by then they had started charging 150 baht -- just like the other banks.

HOWEVER . . . last week, around September 14, I made a withdrawal from GOVERNMENT SAVINGS BANK, and was not charged a fee. Then, today, I made another withdrawal from the AEON THANA SINSAP BANK, and was not charged a fee. Both these ATMs were at Carrifour, on the Super Highway, in Chiang Mai, and were from my bank account in USA. Unfortunately, neither of these banks has a large number of ATMs -- like Bangkok or Siam Commercial Banks :)