When Will The Madness End?

kankaroo

I was in Korat yesterday and as usual, the 2 pm "no alcohol" was in effect at my "favorite" watering holes :o . I had heard that an exception to the law was being made at the pubs in "The Mall". So, just to check it out :D , I made a beeline for "The Mall". Sure enough the bars on the lower level and the "Singha Garden" on the first level were hopping and the booze was flowing. Stayed there until about 4 pm and they were still serving. Go figure.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had lunch at 12.45 h in the street restaurant around the corner and guess who was also there at a neighbouring table and had some Heineken?

Three police officiers in full uniform (obviously not off duty yet but just taking a break from managing the traffic in the heat)  :D while I was a good boy entertaining myself with a plate of kao pad moo and a bot of Singha soda water.  :D

I find it my sworn duty to point out to you that 12.45 is in fact not during the hrs of 14.00-17.00 :D

and guess what, just got back from a afternoon session at the german beer garden at soi 7, was there from 2.30-5.30pm :o

the beer/booze was flowing as freely as ever :D

go figure, tit :D

Just had lunch at 12.45 h in the street restaurant around the corner and guess who was also there at a neighbouring table and had some Heineken?

Three police officiers in full uniform (obviously not off duty yet but just taking a break from managing the traffic in the heat)  :D while I was a good boy entertaining myself with a plate of kao pad moo and a bot of Singha soda water.  :D

I find it my sworn duty to point out to you that 12.45 is in fact not during the hrs of 14.00-17.00 :D

and guess what, just got back from a afternoon session at the german beer garden at soi 7, was there from 2.30-5.30pm :o

I strongly suggest that people DO NOT put the addresses of establishments that are open during prohibition. People have been asked to ring the police if they see a place open,and I am sure they would love to know where to look by just logging on to Thai visa ( which they do anyway) Come on Kreon use that little grey matter as a famous Belgian used to say.

I strongly suggest that people DO NOT put the addresses of establishments that are open during prohibition. People have been asked to ring the police if they see a place open,and I am sure they would love to know where to look by just logging on to Thai visa ( which they do anyway) Come on Kreon use that little grey matter as a famous Belgian used to say.

my grey matter is fine, its just a fact, that its one of the many establishments in bangkok and pattaya that are open for business as usual, which is for all to see with our own eyes :D

my grey matter is fine, its just a fact, that its one of the many establishments in bangkok and pattaya that are open for business as usual, which is for all to see with our own eyes :D

I have to agree with Kreon. The police are very aware of what is going on at the Beer Garden (Biergarden), same at "The Mall" in Korat. Doesn't seem fair though to other establishments that seem to be "forced" to comply. I don't know, TIT. During my expat years in Bangkok, I used to live in an apartment on Soi 7, and the Biergarden was my "second home". :D

]

I have to agree with Kreon. The police are very aware of what is going on at the Beer Garden (Biergarden), same at "The Mall" in Korat. Doesn't seem fair though to other establishments that seem to be "forced" to comply. I don't know, TIT. During my expat years in Bangkok, I used to live in an apartment on Soi 7, and the Biergarden was my "second home". :D

What people don't seem to understand, is the cop on the street doesn't give a hoot about if you're open or not. But the type of police that read Thai visa are the ones that do give a hoot. They cannot see if a place is open from the fourteenth floor of a high rise block,but press a button,send someone out to check and gain brownie points,that is another question. I would hate it if someone put on Thai visa

' Please Mr Plod, the nasty ( or nice) farang pub in Surin Bus Station is serving beer whenever you want it and <deleted> your rules.' which in all fairness is just about what Kreon said on the net. And any way if it doesn't subside,but escalates then the police have a ready made list of who's open and who's not. I'm not trying to be funny or nasty, just sensible. You don't know who might be reading this.

What people don't seem to understand, is the cop on the street doesn't give a hoot about if you're open or not. But the type of police that read Thai visa are the ones that do give a hoot. They cannot see if a place is open from the fourteenth floor of a high rise block,but press a button,send someone out to check and gain brownie points,that is another question. I would hate it if someone put on Thai visa

' Please Mr Plod, the nasty  ( or nice) farang pub in Surin Bus Station is serving beer whenever you want it and <deleted> your rules.'  which in all fairness is just about what Kreon said on the net. And any way if it doesn't subside,but escalates then the police have a ready made list of who's open and who's not. I'm not trying to be funny or nasty, just sensible. You don't know who might be reading this.

Lampard: I won't say I don't know what you mean and if you were able to "slide", I promise I wouldn't advertise that on "TV". Just like if my "favorite" establishments in Korat were able to "slide", I wouldn't give their names either at this point. But The Mall in Korat, and the Biergarden on Soi 7, I am of the opinion that the "ones who give a hoot" know perfectly well about these places and choose to ignore them. Why? Don't know. TIT. :o

' Please Mr Plod, the nasty  ( or nice) farang pub in Surin Bus Station is serving beer whenever you want it and <deleted> your rules.'  which in all fairness is just about what Kreon said on the net. And any way if it doesn't subside,but escalates then the police have a ready made list of who's open and who's not. I'm not trying to be funny or nasty, just sensible. You don't know who might be reading this.

Lampard: I won't say I don't know what you mean and if you were able to "slide", I promise I wouldn't advertise that on "TV". Just like if my "favorite" establishments in Korat were able to "slide", I wouldn't give their names either at this point. But The Mall in Korat, and the Biergarden on Soi 7, I am of the opinion that the "ones who give a hoot" know perfectly well about these places and choose to ignore them. Why? Don't know. TIT. :o

As I was reading your post I had to go downstairs and refuse beers to two Germans who popped in for a sunday morning pint. It is a real bugger ,us being in such a prominent position,and of course having the Police General as an occasional customer. ( he has pesonally warned us) Whoever says that all it takes is a bit of money to keep in with the police has not been to Surin. How is it in Korat? I hear plenty of Farangs that say all the time ' Show them a wad and they'll eat out of your hand' but I have never met one yet that has done it.

maybe the boys in brown have a piece of the action :D

As I was reading your post I had to go downstairs and refuse beers to two Germans who popped in for a sunday morning pint. It is a real bugger ,us being in such a prominent position,and of course having the Police General as an occasional customer. ( he has pesonally warned us) Whoever says that all it takes is a bit of money to keep in with the police has not been to Surin. How is it in Korat? I hear plenty of Farangs that say all the time ' Show them a wad and they'll eat out of your hand' but I have never met one yet that has done it.

Lampard: Korat? payoffs? Not sure. The "small" places say that a payoff is not possible. But I suppose a place like "The Mall", there are probably some very influential people involved. Again, fair? Nope. You and I can only hope that this will be a short lived enforcement.

Lampard:  I won't say I don't know what you mean and if you were able to "slide", I promise I wouldn't advertise that on "TV".  Just like if my "favorite" establishments in Korat were able to "slide", I wouldn't give their names either at this point.  But The Mall in Korat, and the Biergarden on Soi 7, I am of the opinion that the "ones who give a hoot" know perfectly well about these places and choose to ignore them.  Why?  Don't know.  TIT. :o

maybe the boys in brown have a piece of the action :D

general2ad3tw.gif

I have to think that somebody is getting a piece of the action to "turn the blind eye".

Edited by Ken

I really don't know what you lot are going on about, I can get a beer any time of the day or night, my local 7-11 never locks the fridge my local store stays open till 1am and will sell me beer anytime. I work from home and can get locked into some long stretches of work which calls for strange sleeping habits and time keeping but I loke a nice beer when I decide to pack it in for the day and have never been refused a drink anytime of the day or night. See anyone who is interested up my way, your shout. :o

I used to think this law was a little strange, and i still do, i don't pretend to understand the logic behind it.... but learn to live with it . I have a policy of not getting on the piss until the sun is very low in on the horizon . 6ish this time of year I guess. One should try living in the Middle East where u have to apply for a licence to shop at a grog shop, or (worse) resort to brewing foul home brews because booze is banned outright .

Having said that, i am sure these kinda laws are easily got around by locals with clout. On election day, my aunt had a party , but what is a party without beer ? Solution, ring the local Soi corner store, who deliver with the beer disguised deeply in plastic bags . :o

hmmm...I wonder if the beer stall at the upstairs food hall at tescos in amphur Suphanburi is serving during restricted hours. Then maybe I could get a Chang while waiting for the downstairs liquor shop to open at 11.

They were selling beer upstairs while I was waiting for the liquor store to open but was drinking coffee. Not having driven on the "other" side of the road for some time makes me a little more cautious.

For the real bummer - try being in LOS around election time! I had not prepared ahead and you couldn't buy nothin' from noon on Saturday thru 1800 Sunday. Not even a beer in a hotel! :o