Book Club

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in forming a book club?

I am cringing at myself even writing this but I thought it might be a fun thing to do and a good way to make new friends on the island. I was thinking of something simple like every member of the club chooses a book and then we all read them together and have an evening at the end of the month (or however long we allow ourselves to read the book) to chat about it and maybe have a few beers/coffees.

Haha.. I am such a geek! I've always wanted to start a book club but never got round to it!

I think it might be quite a nice way to get stuck into some books we might never have chosen otherwise.

If anyone is interested please reply in this thread.

:) (I think this is the only thread where this smiley is really appropriate)

I'd love to join your book club. I'm moving over to Samui (Lamai) next week and it would be a great way to meet new friends :)

Fantastic! That's great - we just moved recently too so looking for good ways to make friends here. Let's see how many others are interested then I'll start thinking about the best way to set up the uber-cool book club.

Good luck with the move!

I am cringing at myself even writing this but I thought it might be a fun thing to do and a good way to make new friends on the island. I was thinking of something simple like every member of the club chooses a book and then we all read them together and have an evening at the end of the month (or however long we allow ourselves to read the book) to chat about it and maybe have a few beers/coffees.

Haha.. I am such a geek! I've always wanted to start a book club but never got round to it!

I think it might be quite a nice way to get stuck into some books we might never have chosen otherwise.

I dont think its a cringe worthy suggestion at all. I think its a really good idea. I dont know where I would be wothout my books and sharing them with friends over a coffee or a few beers seems like a fine idea, why not? . Im back in the u.k and not back till the end of the month but would be interested.

I dont think its a cringe worthy suggestion at all. I think its a really good idea. I dont know where I would be wothout my books and sharing them with friends over a coffee or a few beers seems like a fine idea, why not? . Im back in the u.k and not back till the end of the month but would be interested.

I would also be a bit lost without my books. The idea of starting a book club came to me today as I was about to swap some books at the second hand bookstore and a friend nabbed my latest read before I could get there!

So that's three of us already! Smallprawn - let us know when you are back and I'll tell you how things are developing.

there is a kind of book club opposite the 2 nd hand shop where you can swap books ect and buy them

What do you mean by book club?

What I meant was a group of us getting together and choosing some books and then meeting up after reading each one to to talk about the book and have a few drinks/coffees/snacks - like a social event where people can share in their love for literature and meet like-minded people. :) Ok, time to go to bed...

Let's also watch Doctor Who and Star Track together! )) Great idea seruously, I would love to participate but move to Bali soon. I'll look for this thread if I decide to come back.

Let's also watch Doctor Who and Star Track together! )) Great idea seruously, I would love to participate but move to Bali soon. I'll look for this thread if I decide to come back.

God... it's true - I am a geek.... I love Star Trek! Sorry you won't be joining the book club but spread the word anyway if you can think of anyone else who might be interested. :)

God... it's true - I am a geek.... I love Star Trek! Sorry you won't be joining the book club but spread the word anyway if you can think of anyone else who might be interested. :D

Lol me too then I love Doctor Who! I'll watch David Tennant any day of the week :) Let me know when its sorted then it sounds good! Any idea on what part of Samui you are going to hold it? I don't drive tis why I ask.

God... it's true - I am a geek.... I love Star Trek! Sorry you won't be joining the book club but spread the word anyway if you can think of anyone else who might be interested. :D

Lol me too then I love Doctor Who! I'll watch David Tennant any day of the week :) Let me know when its sorted then it sounds good! Any idea on what part of Samui you are going to hold it? I don't drive tis why I ask.

Hi Perkie - In terms of location I think it is probably best if we wait and see how many people are interested and then determine a good location for everyone. Where will you be moving to?

I have now set up an email address for the book club: PM Me.

If anyone is interested and doesn't want to post on the forum you can email that address and I will keep you informed of the plans as they develop.

Cool Ok sounds like a plan. Well I'm leaving England for Samui tomorrow so not sure when I'll next be online, but feel free to PM me Lola. Otherwise you'll probably find me in the Ska Bar or Bophut Diving School on the main beach road in Lamai. See you all soon :)

Probably the best collection of books on Samui is at "The Wave" on Chaweng beach road.

I am sure that if you contacted Dave or Peter they would be pleased to help.

I would recommend Island books across from the 2nd hand shop in Lamai.I get all my books there as theres a great buy back system.Paul from Liverpool is a good lad and he has a hugh selection of books.He also serves drinks and has seating for maybe 20 people.He might even give you a special deal.

I would recommend Island books across from the 2nd hand shop in Lamai.I get all my books there as theres a great buy back system.Paul from Liverpool is a good lad and he has a hugh selection of books.He also serves drinks and has seating for maybe 20 people.He might even give you a special deal.

I second that. :)

I second that. :)

Great - that's useful to know thanks. I think we will need a few more people to get it going though - I'm not sure four is enough. I'm waiting for those people interested to PM me so we can arrange the logistics and I might also ask if a few cafes mind me putting up a poster or two.

I'll stop by the Wave and Island books and see if they'd like to get involved somehow.

:D

How about a club of EC Comics fans?

What's that when it's at home then?

What's what when what's at home? I have totally lost the plot...

EC Comics. Not sure what they are?

Still waiting for those PMs as the moderators wouldn't allow me to post the email address for the book club....

EC Comics. Not sure what they are?

Still waiting for those PMs as the moderators wouldn't allow me to post the email address for the book club....

Don't you mean DC comics?

I'm here in Lamai now, I was talking about the book club to a lady that owns the Ware 2 Be bar on Lamai Beach Road and she says she's interested in joining too!

really?

haven't even got the Book Title to discuss,

nor the club, nor the members! :)

I would like to join a book club, only point is , all the people must be reading the same book to have a discussion.I don't see anyone on the island, being able to supply 3-5-6 copies of the same book.

If you stick to classics over a certain age the copyright will have expired and can therefore be downloaded for free. These will also be stocked by many of the local bookshops cheaply, or if a member is due a visa run they can often be obtained, or ordered, in Malaysia

A Kindle is an electonic book, made by Amazon, there are other ebooks by Sony, google, etc. You can download thousands of books, newspapers onto a single device the size of a large book. People rave about them, they'd be great for travelling. Just read a great book called The White Tiger, and bought another ripper The Suspicions of Mr Whicherer. Happy reading, fellow nerds!

ps on holiday in Hong Kong now, tailors are annoying here too!

To: LolaSamui

How goes the progress of getting members or a location for some kind of meeting, I am aware this will

a. take time

b. at least some kind of agenda for possible 1st meeting

c. amount of members

d. Location to meet up

I really hope this can be at least pulled together.

Hello everyone! How cool to see so many new posts about the book club. Sorry, I've been enjoying not being in front of a computer for a couple of days.

I will look into some options for the book club - how it will be best to set it up. I will then post my suggestions on here.

Off the top of my head I would suggest that everyone who is interested in joining the book club suggests a title - then we throw all the suggestions in a hat and pick them out one by one. We would have to agree on an amount of time to read the book - I would suggest the book club meets once a month.

I think finding a venue will be the least of our problems but it would be very useful if those people that are joining could say which areas are best - then if 80% are in a certain area we'll hold it there.

Re: finding enough copies of the same books... I was thinking of approaching a bookshop to see if they'd be interested in supplying to us at a discount as we will be ordering bulk. If we agree on a list of books we can order them in advance.

I was intrigued by the Kindle when I first heard of it a year or so ago but then I personally quite like the feeling of turning pages and getting my book a bit wrinkly and warped reading by the pool.

As a first step - can I ask that everyone who is definitely interested in joining this book club send me a PM? Then I can start organising the rest of the details.

Ta!