Sin Sort / Dowry Experiences

cognos

And this is some how different than paying 2000 baht for a night of sex? And, you get to up grade to the

latest model every couple of years. :)

There is an old saying that if you put a penny in a jar for every time you do it over the first two years and then take a penny out of the jar over the next 60 years you will never empty the jar.

The only reason to get married is if you want to raise a family. Other than that it is cheaper and mentally easier to rent a wife. Kids and grand kids are great if you want them. :D

I love it when you post 'Forbsy' you always bring a smile to my face. You are a legend! :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got married in Australia first as thats where we met. Came to Thailand a year later to have another wedding for her family.

We had a western wedding here too and I didnt pay a thing. Her father paid for the reception and everything else and the morning of the wedding her uncle and aunty came around with money shaped in an umbrella with a thick stack of baht notes under it. Seems a bit different then most wedding described in Thailand.

But it might be more of a chinese style maybe? As her father is chinese as were the aunt and uncle

through the nose. ???

whahah if 100k and 10 bhat gold mean you paying through the nose. ,, my suggestion is thailand is too expensive for you ,

try Indonesia and maybe lao or burma ..

gosh .. how poor is the expat nowaday ..

my wife had not been married before

and even if she is i would be happ to pay the sin sod cos i love her .

i would not want to go more with silly farang who love to insult asian thinking .

go ahead and be your grumpy self . and die alone or angry cos you keep your money .

and my suggestion is RUn as fast as you can out of thailand ..

this place is too expensvive for you .. you should go to a cheaper country ..

come to make me think ..

like i said .. Sin sod is a scale to see if the husband is able to take care of the Wife .. and many thai pay this as a respect to the wife parent and showing them he is able to come up with the money ..

nobody said you got to pay it right away .. once ask ..

you can alway earn the Sin sod together .. and when you have the money then Get Married .

if you wife is demanding it NOW .. and if no money no married , then maybe you are taken for a ride ..

but most thai that i knew save up for Years together . and once there get the sin sod amount then there get married ..

so i don;t see why some farang is making all the noise when even thai that earn less money then some farang claim to be can afford it ..

plus most of the time you get the money back . but of cos in some case - there is relaly some Sin sod con case but please do not list those as example just like there is crazy and dumb farang , does not make all farang dum and silly ..

while most while thai in law as gambling loving and love to get drunk ..

let me tell you . i seen more farang got drunk and made a full of themself then i seen thai got drunk ..

do not let me compare when i come across farang who do not even know how to take a decent shower .. and yet come tell me he can take care of others .

if one can;t even take care of oneself how are you able to take care of others .

--

sad but true ..

is more complex then what you see and is alway a case by case basis .

--

Sin sod need not be paid right away .. if it true love , both cam stay in a relationship . while both try to get the Sin sod together . and get married after you get the Sin sod .

so most of the time what i see is just Guy who want all . want fast marriage . so there can apply for their visa ..

so if you want to stay in thailand don't compare thailand with your country . and if your country is better , GO Home

--

This HAS GOT to be a joke. huh.gif And this dude is Thai!! And has been living in THAI LAND? You didn't fool me for a minute homey!!! smile.gif

whahhahahahhahaaha ---- when youa re free i would be happy to treat you to Mac or A&W or KFC :)

just to see your Face -- PM me ok .. don't like type on forum .. i am a real person and i am not thai :D

let me know when you free ok ..

anyone i would be happy to meet up :D

i am busy from now till 11th ..

in fact i meeting some TV guys if that guy do call me

i am more free after 8 pm . and i stay near Bankapi .

pM me to make a appointment and i will be there , or give you a good date to meet up

You are the dream of every thai (bad) girl.

Hope none of them read what you write...guys don't go meet him, he is clearly dangerous!!

through the nose. ???

whahah if 100k and 10 bhat gold mean you paying through the nose. ,, my suggestion is thailand is too expensive for you ,

try Indonesia and maybe lao or burma ..

gosh .. how poor is the expat nowaday ..

my wife had not been married before

and even if she is i would be happ to pay the sin sod cos i love her .

i would not want to go more with silly farang who love to insult asian thinking .

go ahead and be your grumpy self . and die alone or angry cos you keep your money .

and my suggestion is RUn as fast as you can out of thailand ..

this place is too expensvive for you .. you should go to a cheaper country ..

come to make me think ..

like i said .. Sin sod is a scale to see if the husband is able to take care of the Wife .. and many thai pay this as a respect to the wife parent and showing them he is able to come up with the money ..

nobody said you got to pay it right away .. once ask ..

you can alway earn the Sin sod together .. and when you have the money then Get Married .

if you wife is demanding it NOW .. and if no money no married , then maybe you are taken for a ride ..

but most thai that i knew save up for Years together . and once there get the sin sod amount then there get married ..

so i don;t see why some farang is making all the noise when even thai that earn less money then some farang claim to be can afford it ..

plus most of the time you get the money back . but of cos in some case - there is relaly some Sin sod con case but please do not list those as example just like there is crazy and dumb farang , does not make all farang dum and silly ..

while most while thai in law as gambling loving and love to get drunk ..

let me tell you . i seen more farang got drunk and made a full of themself then i seen thai got drunk ..

do not let me compare when i come across farang who do not even know how to take a decent shower .. and yet come tell me he can take care of others .

if one can;t even take care of oneself how are you able to take care of others .

--

sad but true ..

is more complex then what you see and is alway a case by case basis .

--

Sin sod need not be paid right away .. if it true love , both cam stay in a relationship . while both try to get the Sin sod together . and get married after you get the Sin sod .

so most of the time what i see is just Guy who want all . want fast marriage . so there can apply for their visa ..

so if you want to stay in thailand don't compare thailand with your country . and if your country is better , GO Home

--

This HAS GOT to be a joke. huh.gif And this dude is Thai!! And has been living in THAI LAND? You didn't fool me for a minute homey!!! smile.gif

whahhahahahhahaaha ---- when youa re free i would be happy to treat you to Mac or A&W or KFC :D

just to see your Face -- PM me ok .. don't like type on forum .. i am a real person and i am not thai :D

let me know when you free ok ..

anyone i would be happy to meet up :D

i am busy from now till 11th ..

in fact i meeting some TV guys if that guy do call me

i am more free after 8 pm . and i stay near Bankapi .

pM me to make a appointment and i will be there , or give you a good date to meet up

You are the dream of every thai (bad) girl.

Hope none of them read what you write...guys don't go meet him, he is clearly dangerous!!

Dangerous? Seems to me he's a responsible family man. I guess if you considered a responsible family man dangerous than you're right :)

You people really need to read and understand the idea of Sin-Sod >>>>>http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sin-Sod-Explanation-t85581.html

Edited by Misplaced

the think with sin sod with so much explanation going on and non of the OP who posted a Sin sod thread ever go search and consider and if you had look there would be so many Thread about sin sod or one coming up every few week .. and the cycle go on ..

so is easy to understand .. most just jump in the train without even knowing where is going .. but lack the aventure heart to try .

Fear is very scarey it can make a normal person .. show it worst ..

and not knowing where his money will go .. can bring out the monster in a perosn ..

maybe that how the Thai in law test their Son in law ..

see his true color ..

in asia we say " pluck a few feather off the chicken and you see it color "

the think with sin sod with so much explanation going on and non of the OP who posted a Sin sod thread ever go search and consider and if you had look there would be so many Thread about sin sod or one coming up every few week .. and the cycle go on ..

so is easy to understand .. most just jump in the train without even knowing where is going .. but lack the aventure heart to try .

and not knowing where his money will go .. can bring out the monster in a perosn ..

see his true color ..

I wish someone would pluck a few feathers off you! :)

well i did said so ,

when ever anyone of you is free - <

PM me arrange a meet up just simple or cheap meal :)

MAC , KFC , A&W or maybe MOO kata :D i will bring my wife along too :D

would be happy to meet some new faces ,

:D and maybe you have a chance to pluck my feather or if we are the the same kinda of bird which will flock together whhahahahah

ion case we got same feather

see his true color ..

Ta22 you have to be a Troll.

No man in his right mind would do the same as you.

Hi folks. My first thai gf explained sin sort to me, and outlined clearly her expectations should we ever marry . She was an only child and her parents were not too well off, so she gave close to half her pay cheque to them. The story was that her Dad lent his car to a relative, who got in an accident and was charged with something like vehicular homicide. Her Dad as a result lost all his savings, as the relative had no money. She therefore required a large sin sort to help her parents. Her niece had married a German guy and he had paid half a million Baht as sin sort. The gf said since she had more education than her niece (and to not lose face :D:D ) she would want the same amount at least. She was a decent person, but we went our separate ways. Later I was blessed and met the future wife, and sin sort was brought up by her. She half j :D ked that 2 million baht was the amount of sin sort I would have to pay her Dad, "but never mind because my Dad has enough money ( her family is large and varies from one quite rich family member to mostly middle class ), and you will get it back." Later she decided 200,000 Baht was plenty along with 2 Baht of borrowed gold from a sister for show. 200 one thousand baht bills looks pretty pathetic and miserly :D , so she cleverly told me to get the money in new 100 baht notes. We went to a few banks in Phuket, but none had new notes..a distant relative worked in a bank so we went there and got them..it looked like alot until you knew they were hundreds. The next morning her sister came over to our house with a bag, full of the 200,000 Baht. Even though her Dad doesn't need the money, we gave him 20,000 B and now 10,000 B a couple times a year as tradition and a small token of respect..just wondering what your good or amusing sin sort experience was like or you heard about. Be safe..

:):D :D :D

Hi folks. My first thai gf explained sin sort to me, and outlined clearly her expectations should we ever marry . She was an only child and her parents were not too well off, so she gave close to half her pay cheque to them. The story was that her Dad lent his car to a relative, who got in an accident and was charged with something like vehicular homicide. Her Dad as a result lost all his savings, as the relative had no money. She therefore required a large sin sort to help her parents. Her niece had married a German guy and he had paid half a million Baht as sin sort. The gf said since she had more education than her niece (and to not lose face :D:D ) she would want the same amount at least. She was a decent person, but we went our separate ways. Later I was blessed and met the future wife, and sin sort was brought up by her. She half j :D ked that 2 million baht was the amount of sin sort I would have to pay her Dad, "but never mind because my Dad has enough money ( her family is large and varies from one quite rich family member to mostly middle class ), and you will get it back." Later she decided 200,000 Baht was plenty along with 2 Baht of borrowed gold from a sister for show. 200 one thousand baht bills looks pretty pathetic and miserly :D , so she cleverly told me to get the money in new 100 baht notes. We went to a few banks in Phuket, but none had new notes..a distant relative worked in a bank so we went there and got them..it looked like alot until you knew they were hundreds. The next morning her sister came over to our house with a bag, full of the 200,000 Baht. Even though her Dad doesn't need the money, we gave him 20,000 B and now 10,000 B a couple times a year as tradition and a small token of respect..just wondering what your good or amusing sin sort experience was like or you heard about. Be safe..

You rooky.............100,000 bt is more than enough if the girl loves you and that story about the car accident is right out of thai 101,her joking about big money tells me she sees you as buffalo :) ................good luck

Agreed on 200,000. Her parents are long divorced and her grandparents raised her from age 11 or so. The deal was 50,000 for each of the 4 of them. Then I was asked for 200,000 extra for show money. I was really clear that I wanted to see that back.

So we have a nice pile of money and to my total surprise the entire 200,000 came back + 100,000 more. The family decided that 100,0000 was enough. What a happy guy I was. Made the mistake however of not taking that bag of cash to the bank because in the end the wedding ended up costing much more than anticipated (400+ people) and all of the money never found it's way back into my pocket.

I have a friend from a well to do family who lived most of his life in the US. When he married he gave 1,000,000 and ended up getting 2,000,000 back. His comment was "if I'd known I would have given more..." Then my maid's daughter got 10,000 and the boy's family has problems now because they borrowed the money and God knows what interest rate. It's a fallacy to say Thai's don't do this any more.

All and all it was one of the best days of my life - topless ladyboy and all :-)

I've been here 20 years and never heard anything like this.............you are a troll :)

:):D:D:D

If you are tired, go to bed..I laughed all the way to the bank too..cheers..

Hi folks. My first thai gf explained sin sort to me, and outlined clearly her expectations should we ever marry . She was an only child and her parents were not too well off, so she gave close to half her pay cheque to them. The story was that her Dad lent his car to a relative, who got in an accident and was charged with something like vehicular homicide. Her Dad as a result lost all his savings, as the relative had no money. She therefore required a large sin sort to help her parents. Her niece had married a German guy and he had paid half a million Baht as sin sort. The gf said since she had more education than her niece (and to not lose face :D:D ) she would want the same amount at least. She was a decent person, but we went our separate ways. Later I was blessed and met the future wife, and sin sort was brought up by her. She half j :) ked that 2 million baht was the amount of sin sort I would have to pay her Dad, "but never mind because my Dad has enough money ( her family is large and varies from one quite rich family member to mostly middle class ), and you will get it back." Later she decided 200,000 Baht was plenty along with 2 Baht of borrowed gold from a sister for show. 200 one thousand baht bills looks pretty pathetic and miserly :D , so she cleverly told me to get the money in new 100 baht notes. We went to a few banks in Phuket, but none had new notes..a distant relative worked in a bank so we went there and got them..it looked like alot until you knew they were hundreds. The next morning her sister came over to our house with a bag, full of the 200,000 Baht. Even though her Dad doesn't need the money, we gave him 20,000 B and now 10,000 B a couple times a year as tradition and a small token of respect..just wondering what your good or amusing sin sort experience was like or you heard about. Be safe..

Easy...never paid Sin Sot....The outlaws opinion on this....Sin Sot is a Thai on Thai thing, their daughter was marrying a farang and Sin Sot doesnt exist in Farang culture, therefore not required, I do however give them a few thousand a month and have paid for the nephews party when he went into the monkhood + a few other things....every body seems happy with this arrangement

I agree with you, but I have never seen any Thai lady who subscribes to this idea (Farang pays no sin sod). If anything, the price goes up if a Farnag is involved, usually one million starting price. The whole business is disgusting, in my opinion and out of date by a couple of hundred years.

360,000 asked for.

I refused.

250,000 was next.

I refused.

180,000 after that.

I refused.

In the end I paid for the wedding, clothes, photos, food and reception, 2 Baht gold & a small amount of cash.

My reasons for refusing were on the grounds she had already been married and had 2 kids. But to make a token gesture was acceptable to me. Anything more and I would have walked - should have :)

Total 80,000

Well, someone had to pay for the party :D

360.000 asked for a woman who was married before and has two children? This is good example of how stupid Thais think Farangs are, when it comes to this. Do you think they would have the balls to suggest such to a Thai, if they could even find one to marry her?

Hi folks. My first thai gf explained sin sort to me, and outlined clearly her expectations should we ever marry . She was an only child and her parents were not too well off, so she gave close to half her pay cheque to them. The story was that her Dad lent his car to a relative, who got in an accident and was charged with something like vehicular homicide. Her Dad as a result lost all his savings, as the relative had no money. She therefore required a large sin sort to help her parents. Her niece had married a German guy and he had paid half a million Baht as sin sort. The gf said since she had more education than her niece (and to not lose face :D:D ) she would want the same amount at least. She was a decent person, but we went our separate ways. Later I was blessed and met the future wife, and sin sort was brought up by her. She half j :) ked that 2 million baht was the amount of sin sort I would have to pay her Dad, "but never mind because my Dad has enough money ( her family is large and varies from one quite rich family member to mostly middle class ), and you will get it back." Later she decided 200,000 Baht was plenty along with 2 Baht of borrowed gold from a sister for show. 200 one thousand baht bills looks pretty pathetic and miserly :D , so she cleverly told me to get the money in new 100 baht notes. We went to a few banks in Phuket, but none had new notes..a distant relative worked in a bank so we went there and got them..it looked like alot until you knew they were hundreds. The next morning her sister came over to our house with a bag, full of the 200,000 Baht. Even though her Dad doesn't need the money, we gave him 20,000 B and now 10,000 B a couple times a year as tradition and a small token of respect..just wondering what your good or amusing sin sort experience was like or you heard about. Be safe..

Easy...never paid Sin Sot....The outlaws opinion on this....Sin Sot is a Thai on Thai thing, their daughter was marrying a farang and Sin Sot doesnt exist in Farang culture, therefore not required, I do however give them a few thousand a month and have paid for the nephews party when he went into the monkhood + a few other things....every body seems happy with this arrangement

I agree with you, but I have never seen any Thai lady who subscribes to this idea (Farang pays no sin sod). If anything, the price goes up if a Farnag is involved, usually one million starting price. The whole business is disgusting, in my opinion and out of date by a couple of hundred years.

Thats why one can't generalize, but we do anyway,me too..however in my wife's case it was never about money with her, in general... :D ...it was for show for her large family,as they are very traditional and she wanted to please her family.

Agreed on 200,000. Her parents are long divorced and her grandparents raised her from age 11 or so. The deal was 50,000 for each of the 4 of them. Then I was asked for 200,000 extra for show money. I was really clear that I wanted to see that back.

So we have a nice pile of money and to my total surprise the entire 200,000 came back + 100,000 more. The family decided that 100,0000 was enough. What a happy guy I was. Made the mistake however of not taking that bag of cash to the bank because in the end the wedding ended up costing much more than anticipated (400+ people) and all of the money never found it's way back into my pocket.

I have a friend from a well to do family who lived most of his life in the US. When he married he gave 1,000,000 and ended up getting 2,000,000 back. His comment was "if I'd known I would have given more..." Then my maid's daughter got 10,000 and the boy's family has problems now because they borrowed the money and God knows what interest rate. It's a fallacy to say Thai's don't do this any more.

All and all it was one of the best days of my life - topless ladyboy and all :-)

I've been here 20 years and never heard anything like this.............you are a troll :)

Yes, I could see how you'd think that with me embellishing the story with the topless ladyboy story...

post-19158-1244159197_thumb.jpg

200 one thousand baht bills looks pretty pathetic and miserly :) , so she cleverly told me to get the money in new 100 baht notes.
She comes from a conservative thai/chinese family,

The wish to use of red 100-Baht notes, with a chinese/thai family, may have been because it is seen as being a lucky or auspicious colour. Certainly that was the reason in our own case. That it also looks like more money, was a happy coincidence. :D

360,000 asked for.

I refused.

250,000 was next.

I refused.

180,000 after that.

I refused.

In the end I paid for the wedding, clothes, photos, food and reception, 2 Baht gold & a small amount of cash.

My reasons for refusing were on the grounds she had already been married and had 2 kids. But to make a token gesture was acceptable to me. Anything more and I would have walked - should have :)

Total 80,000

360.000 asked for a woman who was married before and has two children? This is good example of how stupid Thais think Farangs are, when it comes to this. Do you think they would have the balls to suggest such to a Thai, if they could even find one to marry her?

And 360 was a low end quote.

I have been asked for a lot more than that by others.

In this case it was an Aunt who was doing all the pushing. The family (mother and father) never asked for anything at all even though they do not have much money. They could not even afford to replace the broken food cabinet - I strained my wrist as I dug deep into my wallet and bought one for 2,500.

In those few instances where they ask for ridiculous sums of money. I get the feeling they tot up the family debts and use that as a yardstick for sin-sot.

I have had 2 Thai women tell me that a Thai man would never marry them. On asking why they replied it was because they already have children. Not sure if that is usually the case or not. If it is, it is a bleak outlook for many women.

We got married in the regestry, no expensive wedding, no sinsot and NOTHING to to outlaws.

Co-signed.

/../

Ditto.

And Sin Sod is a show of wealth, not a payment, and should be handed back to the family or atleast the wife as a safety measure. _IF_ it is done right. But of course farangs will happily pay here and think that is how it is done.

360,000 asked for.

I refused.

250,000 was next.

I refused.

180,000 after that.

I refused.

Total 80,000

Ya no Thai and I mean NO thai man would ever pay a dime of sin sod for a previously married women and it would GREATLY insult the thai husband to be if it was mentioned. :D

According to my wife (we're legally married but the Bhuddist wedding follows soon :D ), the real meaning of Sin Sot was to pay the mother back for the milk she gave her daughter when being a baby. The Sin Sot was not more than like 40 thb....

We will do a small Sin Sot, but will get the money back. She finds it a strange twist to the old tradition that one has to pay a fortune. Guess I'm lucky to have her too... :)

That's not true. WHat your talking about is boon khun. That's the reason a lot of the girls are hooking.....................boon khun baby!!!!!!!!!!!!ya suck that $$ :D right out!

Ever heard of something called a paragraph or was this a deliberate format?

A woman should follow her husband. Western culture does not believe in this practice so of course your wife and her family should not expect to receive a sin sot care package. However, if she is wearing the pants in the relationship, I guess she will make the rules.

Why is he a troll? It sounds like you are just jealous bitter to hear that some Thai girl's parents decided to give her daughter and their husband a million baht wedding gift. Would you have called him a troll if he said the couple was Thai? Would that have been ok or would your ego still have hurt too badly?

• 7 months later...

Hey, if it makes a man feel like more of a man...

Not much different to driving a Corvette really... Oh, except when you realize how silly the corvette is, you can at least get some money back. There is always someone willing to take it off your hands and pay you for it... same can't usually be said for the bride... :)