Old Gold

sleepyjohn

Hi there

1. it's all in the title really.

I really don't like the stuff in the regular gold shops.

If I want to have an investment which really has some quality in return for a reasonable premium, where can I go?

2. An additional question:

Is old gold usually the same grade as the new stuff......and if not do they rub test it or what?

3. BTW what about really nice watches?

4. Thanx for all help!

If I want to have an investment which really has some quality in return for a reasonable premium, where can I go?

Is old gold usually the same grade as the new stuff......and if not do they rub test it or what?

Curious but confused (my usual state), I have to ask questions. Maybe the answers will let people give you more suggestions as where to get it.

Old 24K gold is no more valuable than new 24K gold, so what is it that you do not like about regular gold shops? The all have 24K gold.

My experiences say 24K gold is sold by the weight with very little added for workmanship, so 24K jewelry is "gold" and I would say reflects the gold market value almost exactly (if you buy the more simple pieces).

Are you after bullion with absolutely no workmanship mark up? I think most gold stores have it in some manner (maybe just small plates, gram ingots, etc.). If you are after "larger" amounts (whatever that might mean), I would bet any shop could put you in contact with source.

Old 24K gold is no more valuable than new 24K gold, so what is it that you do not like about regular gold shops? The all have 24K gold.

Exactly. I think the original question reveals an underlying misunderstanding about Thai gold and gold shops.

Gold jewelery in Thailand is swapped & sold a lot. The material is so soft that it'd be hard for something with a really intricate design to keep its shape for very long. Gold is gold, old or new.. matters little unless perhaps the OP meant a somewhat dented / worn look, but then you get that within a year or two. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The websites selling Thai gold state that it is not 24k. "Thai Baht gold jewelry items termed " THAI BAHT GOLD " is known and recognized worldwide as 96.5% pure gold by product weight (23K)."

The websites selling Thai gold state that it is not 24k. "Thai Baht gold jewelry items termed " THAI BAHT GOLD " is known and recognized worldwide as 96.5% pure gold by product weight (23K)."

Still, that's soft enough to not last forever unless it's soemthing really chunky in design.

I understand from a recent article in the BKK Post biz section that a major BKK gold trading company has just opened up a shop in the Nim Daily plaza (think Rimping Airport Central) that will offer coins, jewelery, investment bars...and futures. 96.5 and 99 both offered.

No more details from me, as I am not affiliated, and don't want to seem to be spamming the operation- just trying to help.

I guess you mean 23k.

What is it I don't like about the jewellery from regular gold shops?

It's the cheapest possible option......and to me it shows.

As for a watch I'm talking about a classic like an old Piaget I used to have long ago.

Thanks for the replies.....more welcome.

Edited by sleepyjohn

I guess you mean 23k.

What is it I don't like about the jewellery from regular gold shops?

It's the cheapest possible option......and to me it shows.

As for a watch I'm talking about a classic like an old Piaget I used to have long ago.

Thanks for the replies.....more welcome.

There are a couple of vintage watch dealers in Bangkok that have excellent reputations. I think there may have been an article about them in the Bangkok Post a few months ago. Again if you were to spend some time looking at places like Ratchada-Lat Phrao Market you might find some old jewelry. Only buy a vintage watch from a reputable dealer. There are just too many fakes in Thailand. Perhaps the big watch shop on Thanon Thapae can recommend a vintage watch dealer. They have an office in BKK also.

Hi there

4. Thanx for all help!

Canadian Gold is 99.9999999% pure..the purest in the world,#2 is the South African Krugerand

Hi there

4. Thanx for all help!

Canadian Gold is 99.9999999% pure..the purest in the world,#2 is the South African Krugerand

A Krugerrand is 91.67% pure gold or about 22 karat. Lots of other sources for higher purity.

When the OP talks about "old gold" I believe he is looking for something, which aside from its intrinsic value as judged by spot price, may have value owing to its craftmanship, it being categorized "antique" and perhaps unique or bearing an interesting provenance.

When the OP talks about "old gold" I believe he is looking for something, which aside from its intrinsic value as judged by spot price, may have value owing to its craftmanship, it being categorized "antique" and perhaps unique or bearing an interesting provenance.

I think so too, though something that's durable enough to make it to antique woudl simply not be called 'gold' in Thai because it'd be the non-Thai/Chinese 18K light yellow metal stuff. I think we're running into a glossary issue here; Thais wouldn't call 18K (real) gold.