Where Can I Get Abrasive Bathroom Cleaner

Latindancer

It seems that the only bathroom cleaner I can buy in Thailand is the non-abrasive type. Even if I buy the much-advertised "Vixol", the main ingredient is 20% hydrochloric acid. Others seem to be anything from 6 % to 15% of the same. This is good for cleaning the grout between tiles, as it reacts with the calcium carbonate, but it's pathetic for grease in baths, or any type of stain. In Australia there is a very fine abrasive called Jif, which is really great, and polishes surfaces as it cleans. It does not scratch as it is so fine, and comes as a viscous paste. But all I can find in Thailand is liquids in bottles. Have I missed something ?

Edited by Latindancer

I use same one Ioong. I have troubIe reading that kind of Thai script, as its fancier than normaI script, but I think as the Iast Ietter is ม so it couId very weII be that its pronounced simiIar to "Vim" (as its made by Vim). ..actuaIIy it Iooks Iike it might be "Wim". Its the same as Vim's scouring powder.

edit: I get it at Tops supermarket.

Edited by eek

Yes it's pronounced Wim. วิม

To help you know what to look for

post-12326-1244442533_thumb.jpg

Funny, the photo makes it look shorter and wider than it is. Oh well will be enough for you to spot it I hope.

Edited by loong

I couIdnt find a pic on the net. Did you take that photo Ioong? How sweet!! :D

I aim to please :)

EDIT I just realised my reply is unintentionally quite apt for a man talking about keeping the bathroom clean :D

Edited by loong

Hello again peeps,

I went shopping today and I'm sorry to say that my earlier post is now incorrect. In Tesco Lotus the price of Wim (Vim) has increased to 25 Baht.

Yes I know it's not going to break the bank, but 2 items on my shopping list have increased by 20% plus today.

I know it's off topic, but over the last year or 18 months I have seen many items jump by 20% - 100% more or less in one hit. What is going on?

Hi,

They have a product in the NEO japanese three price store theres one near phrom prong BTS down the soi of the bulls head near villa which is the Japanese version of Jif. Its in a white bottle with a green top and looks and works the same as Jif. I use this on my bath and it works the same as Jif. It about 60 baht but works really well and doesnt scratch the bath.

Hope this helps.

Um.... find an abrasive person and hire them as a cleaner.

Sorry....

:)

What a crass 'joke' - god I used to think your imagination was a bit better than that IJWT - obviously starved of decent company are we dear ?! :D

• 3 months later...
You are right about Jif, it is the best about. Good news is that you can now buy it at RimPing Supermarkets in Chiang Mai ... so it is available here in Thailand anyway

And while we're at it, where can we find something that will take hard water and soap deposits of of shower glass?? I have tried every commonly sold product in Tesco, Makro, Carrefor, Big C and Central Rama2.

Im about ready to resort to a putty knife and hammer and see if "chiseling it off" works :)

• 3 weeks later...
Yes it's pronounced Wim. วิม

To help you know what to look for

post-12326-1244442533_thumb.jpg

Funny, the photo makes it look shorter and wider than it is. Oh well will be enough for you to spot it I hope.

They sell this at any Tesco Lotus for 18 baht

Excuse me Ladies I am not a lady........ yet!

I own some condos for rent (regular cleaning required) and I introduced my wife to Jif/Cif from the UK.

It used to be available everywhere in Thailand until recently. I did find an extremely dusty bottle in all places a small mini mart in Loei ona trip there but it has dissapeared as far as I know discontinued.

I now bring supplies from the Uk regularly.

There is a product I will try and get a photo for easily removing the limescale someone mentioned just pour it on and agitate with a toothbrush and it all comes off, a yellow colour and it stinks in fact you have to leave the bathroom while its working. Fetches off soap scum too. Ill ask the wife for a photo.

Pardon me whilst I put my Pinny back on :)

You are right about Jif, it is the best about. Good news is that you can now buy it at RimPing Supermarkets in Chiang Mai ... so it is available here in Thailand anyway

And while we're at it, where can we find something that will take hard water and soap deposits of of shower glass?? I have tried every commonly sold product in Tesco, Makro, Carrefor, Big C and Central Rama2.

Im about ready to resort to a putty knife and hammer and see if "chiseling it off" works :)

I don't know if it will work on glass or not, but I bought a "tile cleaner" (or something like that) at either HomePro or Villa, an imported product and it works beautifully getting off soap scum etc from tiles, shower curtain and also metal faucet (need to leave it one 5-10 for the latter).

It is not widely available i.e. not at Lotus, tops, Big C. I have my eye out to buy some more so when I locate it I'll let you know. Pretty sure it was either HomePro or the Villa on Sukhumvit Soi 33.

I was sceptical when I bought as like you I find most of the cleaning products here not very good , had I known how well it works I would have stocked up!

...I introduced my wife to Jif/Cif from the UK.

It used to be available everywhere in Thailand until recently. I did find an extremely dusty bottle in all places a small mini mart in Loei ona trip there but it has dissapeared as far as I know discontinued.

I noticed the exact same thing recently, and I've looked everywhere for it. Other products either strip the surface or don't do anything at all.

In similar vein I just brought back a 1 kg bottle of lime scale remover from the UK to get rid of shower stains etc. The things we expats carry in our bags eh?!

No doubt someone is now going to tell me I can get it in 711 or somewhere equally ubiquitous.

No, it's not. And most of what is sold here as lime sclae rmeover doesn't work very well.

only thing I have found that is any good is the one I show in my last post.

Yabaaa, still waiting for the name of product you mentioned?!

My water source is an artesian well with oodles of lime and so this is an issue dear to my heart......

No, it's not. And most of what is sold here as lime sclae rmeover doesn't work very well.

only thing I have found that is any good is the one I show in my last post.

Yabaaa, still waiting for the name of product you mentioned?!

My water source is an artesian well with oodles of lime and so this is an issue dear to my heart......

Oops apologies ladies I had to have a "rest" for a week :) courtesy of the mods (not my fault the guy was a complete winker on that thread honest) who i must'nt mention I will beat the wife into sending me a photo and post back soooooooooooooooooooooooon

Now where is my pinny?? :D

Edited by yabaaaa

Thanks yabaa

i haven't seen it anywhere, where diod you buy it?

I have asked Mrs Yabaaaaaa but she was too off her head at the time to remember!! Just kidding........ Carrefour On Nut

My arms and my Air Asia baggage allowance also thank you profusely!