Thailand's International Image, Just Sex Tourism?

thailandlover

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I am aware NOW that jokes in movies are an USA peculiarity only.

Could be that it all goes back to R&R at the time of the Vietnam war and consequences plus the virtual absence of American package tourists in Thailand

Yes, it probably goes back to Nam.

Only American movies, huh? Hollywood product is the most popular in the world, so it is significant.

There are indeed package tourists from the USA in Thailand, but not in massive numbers compared to Chinese for example, that is true.

Outside the Western non Anglicized world Hollywood movies are shown in their particular language. Such USA intern jokes are not translated 1:1 because the audience would be entangled.

As I said American package tourists are virtually not present. Not only in relation to Chinese. TAT numbers not only count tourists and here are many American business and (ex) military people (maybe they count the soldiers on aircraft carriers too :))

I don't know the percentage of Hollywood movies that are dubbed versus subtitled, so no opinion on your comment. I doubt you can supply that stat either. Certainly in Thailand they are almost always subtitled with the original English audio.

As I said American package tourists are virtually not present.

I am American and first visited Thailand on a package tour! It included Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Golden triangle, and Phuket. So I guess I don't exist.

USA based tour operators selling TOURS TO THAILAND:

Peony Tours

E-mail:

Information: Los Angeles: 626-289-1010; San Francisco

Trafalgar Tours

E-mail: [email protected]

Information: 800.854.0103

EEI Travel

Information: 800.927.3876

Travel Bound

Information: 800.808.9541

For Agents Only: 800-808-9541

Tauck World Discovery

Information: 800.468.2825

China Travel Service (U.S.A.), Inc.

Information: 800.899.8618

For Agents Only: 800.899.8618

Pleasant Holidays

Information: 800.448.3333

Accent Travel Group

Information: 1.800.422.3368

go-today.com

Information: 800.227.3235

Affordable Asia Tours

E-mail:

Information: 800.900.2446

General Tours World Traveler

Information: 800.221.2216

Globus

E-mail:

Information: 866.755.8581

Orient Flexi-Pax Tours

Information: 800.545.5540

For Agents Only: 800.545.5540

Abercrombie and Kent

Information: 800.323.7308

Aberdeen Tours

E-mail: info@aberdeentours. com

Information: 877.956.8886

SITA World Tours

Information: 800.421.5643

Pacific Delight Tours, LLC

Information: 800.221.7179

Travel Indochina

Information: 866.459.6162 (Canada:800.342.1957)

Goway.com

Information: 800.387.8850

For Agents Only: 800.387.8850

Signet Tours Inc.

Information: 877.388.1777

For Agents Only: 626.388.9876

Contiki Holidays

Information: 800.CONTIKI

For Agents Only: 714.935.0808

TRAVCOA

Information: 800.992.2003

Gate 1 Travel

Information: 800.682.3333

Majestic Vacations

Information: 800.476.5489

AAA Member Choice Vacations

Information: 800.292.3150

For Agents Only: 888.292.3150

GowayAir.com

Information: 800.387.8850

For Agents Only: 800.387.8850

Collette Vacations

Information: 800.832.4656

EF College Break

Information: 800.766.2645

GOGO Worldwide Vacations

Information: 888-567-0600

For Agents Only: 888-567-0600

Ritz Tours

Information: 800.900.2446

United Vacations Asia

E-mail:

Information:

American Council for International Studies

Information: 800.888.ACIS

Caradonna Dive Adventures

Information: 800.328.2288

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know the percentage of Hollywood movies that are dubbed versus subtitled, so no opinion on your comment. I doubt you can supply that stat either. Certainly in Thailand they are almost always subtitled with the original English audio.

I am American and first visited Thailand on a package tour! It included Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Golden triangle, and Phuket. So I guess I don't exist.

There are no subtitles in Hollywood movies in Germany for instance, not in the cinemas, not on TV, dubbed in German without that.

And virtually not present does not mean nobody at all.

Andy maybe you do not exist and I am communicating with a program.

Apart from all of you leaving the original topic,

did Carradine finish the movie he was here to do?

Anyone know the name of the movie?

No, he didn't finish it.

The film is called Stretch.

They changed the script.

Thanks for the update on the movie (to be, maybe)

A lot of high earning expat are looking for a base in Asia, Thailand has many advantage but if it doesn't evolved fast as an international business friendly place ..

You are exactly right. With the economy in the US Thailand is the place to open a business.

Back to topic.

I first came to back pack the country as it was, and still is, an easy place to travel.

And yes, I succumbed to the beauty that was in every bar...though I had NO idea it was so available before I left for Thailand. So this was not on the menu for me then. I recoil in horror at my total innocence and naivety back then! I was lucky to escape the web.

I came back again and again, and even stayed, for the fun, the beaches, the food, the smiles, and the welcomes.

Now I stay away because of the corruption, the snarls, the false welcomes, the TIB (Thugs In Brown), the lack of any genuine respect for foreigners, the unrest, etc.

Thailand seen as a sex destination? Of course it is. But it is but one of the many. It bugs me when you get the wink wink here when you say you are going to Thailand. I point out that it would be far cheaper for me to go to Hamburg or Amsterdam for a fortnight of rollicking. The saving in the air fare alone would keep me occupied for a week or two.

Funny isn't it that we don't have the same impression of these (but a small sample of Europes sex cities, and there are dozens) as sex destinations, and what is on offer here puts the majority of the "sex" industry in Thailand to shame.

Davids untimely death has no bearing on any ones perceptiion of Thailand. In a week or two they won't remember where he died.

Edited by harleyclarkey

In a week or two they won't remember where he died.

I agree his death had nothing to do with Thailand. However, I totally disagree with you about what people will remember. His method of death was a scandal and it was sex related and it occurred in Bangkok which is strongly associated with sex in the west, so OF COURSE people will remember: IT HAPPENED IN BANGKOK. I don't think it will impact Thailand tourism much either way, nor will it change the sex reputation of Thailand either way.

The way for Thailand to change their reputation is to CHANGE THEMSELVES. I think it is currently a fair reputation, sorry, the truth hurts. Its easy and typical to blame foreigners for a problem created by Thais.

BTW, I know Amsterdam and Pattaya quite well. There is no comparison. Amsterdam is controlled and zoned and not really in your face, everywhere you go. If you want it, you go to the red light district. Otherwise, you can ignore it. Also, in Bangkok, the primary foreign tourist areas, Silom and Sukhumwit, prostitution everywhere you look.

Edited by Jingthing

In a week or two they won't remember where he died.

I agree his death had nothing to do with Thailand. However, I totally disagree with you about what people will remember. His method of death was a scandal and it was sex related and it occurred in Bangkok which is strongly associated with sex in the west, so OF COURSE people will remember: IT HAPPENED IN BANGKOK. I don't think it will impact Thailand tourism much either way, nor will it change the sex reputation of Thailand either way.

The way for Thailand to change their reputation is to CHANGE THEMSELVES. I think it is currently a fair reputation, sorry, the truth hurts. Its easy and typical to blame foreigners for a problem created by Thais.

BTW, I know Amsterdam and Pattaya quite well. There is no comparison. Amsterdam is controlled and zoned and not really in your face, everywhere you go. If you want it, you go to the red light district. Otherwise, you can ignore it. Also, in Bangkok, the primary foreign tourist areas, Silom and Sukhumwit, prostitution everywhere you look.

I agree with you ...1.Thais being reponsible for their behaviour.

This won't happen. It is, as I have to the point of boredom pointed out, the total lack of any proper authority in power in the LOS (Land Of Smiles or is it now the Land Of Snarls???). Corruption, corruption, and more corruption all the way down. Borne out recently by a survey of business (posted here on TV) that rated the police at the top of the corruption league.

Is it not the same as, say, Amsterdam? There are, as you point out, but a few sex areas for foreigners in Bkk out of a huge city of 5m plus? The red light area (yes smaller, but in a small city) has sex everywhere you look.

Am I correct in saying that the great majority of commercial/paid for sexual activity is inter Thai???

2.And no way will it impact on the tourism for Thailand. Why would it??

I actually think this number is fairly accurate with the caveat that others come for other reasons, but might experience the sex side as well. For example, a person may come for the golf, but might also hit a bar or two after the day's round.

Those boys are here for the bars.

The golf is the alibi.

Sex makes the world go round. Anything of a sexual nature sells.

You see it on billboards, in magazines, on television, in advertising and in newspapers. People eat it up.

The puritans of the world are so hung up on their own sexuality that they have to denigrate others.

Anything a bit out of the ordinary is always blown up in the press.

Sad but true, and world has a perception, fueled by the press,

that Thailand is the place for sex, and little else.

A great shame. :)

Most people in the states see LOS as the land of whores, political instabilty, beautiful beaches and a haven for pedos. It's too bad. :)

What is the reference you are citing for "most people"?

I'm just making a wild'a guess but it would be that "most people" in the states don't even know where Thailand is... But this is to me just another example of assuming that this perspective is widespread without any evidence.

I work in a very creative industry that runs the whole gamut of social backgrounds. Yeah, I have had people think it was Taiwan 555.

I live here in the State of Texas married to a really nice woman for 6 years and people ask her "Where are you from", thePhillipines, Mexico? She answers, "Thailand "and they say Oh!... Taiwan..No, Thailand... Is that in Japan? Seems like international news is only read by those who have some involvement or need to know like family or relatives living there. Ya know what I mean? I don't think that people are really concerned what happens in other parts of the world until it affects them or is something really bad . They know about the Sanami but how many Thai's do you talk to have kept up with the NBA playoffs. No basketball, no hockey, no baseball teams so by the same token why should they be involved with the sport. So what I'am trying to say if doesn't concern ya who cares.

I live here in the State of Texas married to a really nice woman for 6 years and people ask her "Where are you from", thePhillipines, Mexico? She answers, "Thailand "and they say Oh!... Taiwan..No, Thailand... Is that in Japan?

Best not use Texas as the benchmark of public opinion then :)

Of course Thailand has a reputation and many Thais who have emigrated do little to change that at times.

Does Thailand really care about it's external image - I don't think it really gives a toss.

Do WE care about it's image - I certainly don't. I can have relationships in Thailand that I could not contemplate in England and I also know where to go if I want to see some of the culture.

It seems like half of the stories about Thailand that make the international news are about its sex tourism image and industry.

Who ever Mr Quarantine was: they may kill themselves where ever they like. It is a personal decision.

The news will make out of it what they like - as usual - and if they focus on sex stories: do we need to read or listen to that?

...and I also know where to go if I want to see some of the culture.

Please help. After only one year here, I am desperate to find a little culture somewhere in Thailand :) Suggestions?

Get out of Jomtien for a start and stop mixing with the people you are with. Then get off your arse and go and look for it. If you cannot find any culture then Thailand is clearly not for you :D

Edited by Chaimai

What do you want them to talk about? Thailand's thriving hi-tech industry ? its sizzling cultural life ? Honestly, when people talk about the "magical kingdom" it's not Thailand they have in mind.

Indonesia has Bali; Cambodia, Angkor Wat; Vietnam, Halong Bay; Thailand has Pattaya !

The only advantage Thailand has among the above mentioned countries is Thailand is a relatively safe, modern, developed place. But it won't last, they're catching fast.

A lot of high earning expat are looking for a base in Asia, Thailand has many advantage but if it doesn't evolved fast as an international business friendly place ... well ... Thailand will still have Pattaya.

At this moment, the 3 places in the world most worth exploring and investing in are China, China and China. Thailand has a different kind of appeal.

I live here in the State of Texas married to a really nice woman for 6 years and people ask her "Where are you from", thePhillipines, Mexico? She answers, "Thailand "and they say Oh!... Taiwan..No, Thailand... Is that in Japan?

Best not use Texas as the benchmark of public opinion then :)

Of course Thailand has a reputation and many Thais who have emigrated do little to change that at times.

Does Thailand really care about it's external image - I don't think it really gives a toss.

Do WE care about it's image - I certainly don't. I can have relationships in Thailand that I could not contemplate in England and I also know where to go if I want to see some of the culture.

You don't care if your Thai female friends and relatives get harrassed? You don't care if foreign embassies give them a hard time when they are trying to apply for a visa?

...and I also know where to go if I want to see some of the culture.

Please help. After only one year here, I am desperate to find a little culture somewhere in Thailand :) Suggestions?

Get out of Jomtien for a start and stop mixing with the people you are with. Then get off your arse and go and look for it. If you cannot find any culture then Thailand is clearly not for you :D

At least a bit of Thai culture is reflected in every aspect of life in Thailand. Including Jomtien.

I live here in the State of Texas married to a really nice woman for 6 years and people ask her "Where are you from", thePhillipines, Mexico? She answers, "Thailand "and they say Oh!... Taiwan..No, Thailand... Is that in Japan? Seems like international news is only read by those who have some involvement or need to know like family or relatives living there. Ya know what I mean? I don't think that people are really concerned what happens in other parts of the world until it affects them or is something really bad . They know about the Sanami but how many Thai's do you talk to have kept up with the NBA playoffs. No basketball, no hockey, no baseball teams so by the same token why should they be involved with the sport. So what I'am trying to say if doesn't concern ya who cares.

Come on. They must have watched The Beach.

I have only recently discovered that the sex pests are in the minority, since I met up with a relative and her husband here I have been introduced to a completely different side of BKK. Everyday working Thais and farrangs who do not just speak about bar girls and actually spend their time contributing positively to Thai society, all different backgrounds and levels of wealth but importantly morally grounded, compassionate, fun, intelligent people. I think it is far too easy to come here and get in with the wrong crowd, or lose yourself in bars. Lets face it, you have to question the sanity of somebody who drinks all the time and surrounds themselves with prostitutes in seedy bars, then chooses to cast aspersions on a whole nation of women based on his experience of soi cowboy/nana etc.

I agree,but unfortunately in some areas all the farang men seem to have ex b/g as a wife or a g/f and this makes it very difficult to have normal conversations with them,they always revert to the bar scene.

That is a wonderful point. Unfortunately, I believe that no matter how bad things get, Thailand will never be ready to treat "farangs"

equally, or even respectfully. If Thais want to rid their culture of the extreme xenophobia they are inflicted with, the place to start is

with the educational system. Few Thais are taught much in the way of world geography, world history, or the geopolitical makeup of the

world. How can you not be afraid of something you know nothing about? The average Thai knows little about world war II, or Europe,

nor can they find even five of the most important countries of the world on a map. My only point is that in order to feel comfortable

with foreigners, you must be taught something about their world. Foreigners may as well be visiting from another planet, as far as the

Thais are concerned. Our world is that foreign to all but the best educated, and most well traveled of them.

Thais at least are a third worlds country

the global so called leaders teh americans, most of them do not know what is going outside their country, nor do they have an idea where countries are, some even do not knwio what extend beoyond their state border.