21 New Cases Of Influenza 2009 In Pattaya

george

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 Dont listend to complacent idiots on this board that might get you or your loved ones killed. :)

I agree with this, The Thai Gov could have been on this situation 2 months ago when any educated person could figure out that Thailand was at risk. I expected naysayers when I posted on this subject before, either the first or second thread started on the subject which was closed. What is interesting is to see people who are in a complete state of denial on how this will effect all of us in Thailand with the newest information we now have.

I told the wife to wait three months and we would see what happened, it only took two and now there are confirmed cases of people coming to Thailand on holiday in good health and leaving with Swine Flu.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail....&con_type=1

Nightclub workers treble Thailand's swine flu tally

Friday, June 12, 2009

The number of confirmed cases of swine flu in Thailand nearly tripled to 46 yesterday, with most of the new infections detected among workers at a nightclub in the seaside resort of Pattaya.

And a Hong Kong visitor has claimed to have contracted the virus on the southern resort island of Phuket. Thai premier Abhisit Vejjajiva has sent Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai Witthaya there to investigate.

"There are new confirmed cases both in Pattaya and Phuket," the prime minister said. "But none of these confirmed cases is in a serious condition."

Health officials reported 30 new cases across the kingdom, including a young British traveler, and said more were expected. But they urged people to remain calm.

Twenty-one of the new infections were found among the Pattaya nightclub workers, who were tested after two Taiwanese tourists claimed to have contracted the disease there upon their return home.

Four other cases were found at the privately run St Gabriel's College in Bangkok. The college has now announced it will close for one week.

The remaining five infected people in Thailand are being kept in quarantine.

Since the virus was first discovered in the United States and Mexico in April, 74 countries have reported more than 27,000 cases, including 141 deaths, according to figures from the World Health Organization.

In Australia, the flu tally has ticked up by 39 to 1,263 cases, with 1,011 in the southern state of Victoria. Authorities in the state said four people were being treated in hospital intensive care wards.

That was a potentially worrying escalation for Australian health chiefs, who have previously reported only mild symptoms among flu victims.

But the flu has spread rapidly in Australia - the world's fifth worst- hit country - since sick passengers were allowed to leave a cruise ship in Sydney late last month.

Victoria has recorded numerous cases of domestic transmission, which occurs when the virus spreads between people within a community rather than the infection being driven by people coming from overseas.

In Germany, 27 children from a Japanese school in Duesseldorf tested positive for flu. The Japanese families affected have been quarantined in their homes and the school closed.

AGENCIES

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1829...flu-alert-level

Local authorities in Pattaya are stepping up measures to contain the spread of the virus and ensure the town is clear of H1N1 in a month.

Pattaya Mayor Itthiphol Khunplome said more than 80 health volunteers have been dispatched to monitor closely the health of the immediate families of the infected patients.

A surveillance centre has been set up in Bang Lamung Hospital and 420,000 anti-viral tablets were distributed to medical facilities.

I was just denied entry to Noir Disco on 3rd rd this evening. Reason given: all foriengers will be not be allowed in for the next 3 days due to the flu outbreak. I explained that I am working in Pattaya and produced my Thai Driver's liscence as ID but was still denied

I was just denied entry to Noir Disco on 3rd rd this evening. Reason given: all foriengers will be not be allowed in for the next 3 days due to the flu outbreak. I explained that I am working in Pattaya and produced my Thai Driver's liscence as ID but was still denied

This is classic. Did you end up out at some other Disco or was everything closed? Supposedly 17 venues were ordered closed according to one Newspaper, well see what the story is after the sun comes up and Thai News gets translated into English.

“Containment is no longer a feasible option,” Dr. Keiji Fukuda, deputy director general of the World Health Organization, announced Monday night in Geneva after a meeting of the agency’s emergency committee on the spreading swine flu virus. “The world should focus on mitigation." This was reported on April 29th.

Mitigation guidelines issued by the CDC (February 2007) include social distancing strategies to reduce contact between people:

•closing schools

•canceling public gatherings

•planning for liberal work leave policies

•teleworking strategies

•voluntary isolation of cases

•voluntary quarantine of household contacts

Bloody Farangs coming here with your desease and destroying our tourists inductry.

Thais do a much better job at destroying their tourist industry and their image of a calm quiet society all by themselves.

They should be thankful that the old, the lame, the perverts, child molesters and the odd genuine tourist still goes there to spens some money. Otherways they are stuffed! They are just too lazy to do any real work!

I'm on my way to Bangkok in a couple of weeks, I probably bring with me the flu so be warned.

Just staying at the airport will be dangerous enough, I just hope I survive the flight.

Edited by balo

Bloody Farangs coming here with your desease and destroying our tourists inductry.

THE FARANGS DIDN'T DESTROY YOUR TOURIST INDUSTRY, THEY MADE YOUR TOURIST INDUSTRY!!! You destroyed it by yourselfs, by being greedy for money, treating many tourists badly, CORRUPT POLICE and RACIST against them, plus all the problems made by your RED and YELLOW shirts these are the facts, NOT FLU.

So dont try passing the blame, when you have only yourselves to blame and your problems are far from over they are just starting best of luck.

AMAZING THAILAND, VERY TRUE!!!

PS, Remember that you are not the only country with sun, sea, sand and cheep prices, not that Thailand is that cheep anymore there are many places much cheeper nearby I dont think I need to name them.

I have lived in Thailand for 20 years so I think I know what I am talking about, but know I am thinking of leaving the LAND OF FALSE SMILES!!!

This is just the start. Watch it spread like wild fire over the next few weeks. Typical example is Australia, Melbourne in particular, last week, single figures, today 1,300 plus cases and rising. The message is keep off trains, and other places where people are in close proximity.

what's the big deal ,as flu goes,the swine flu is quite mild with very low mortality rates :)

And NOBODY talking about CHIKUNGUNYA FEVER in the South...now spreading quickly north, with thousands affected in Phuket as I write this.

VERY high fever, tremendous body pain, very long term recovery(up to ONE YEAR! from severe Arthritis-like symptoms and joint pain and stiffness, no vaccine, no cure.

I live in Patong and I am in my FOURTH week of this shit!

The silence is deafening!

And NOBODY talking about CHIKUNGUNYA FEVER in the South...now spreading quickly north, with thousands affected in Phuket as I write this.

VERY high fever, tremendous body pain, very long term recovery(up to ONE YEAR! from severe Arthritis-like symptoms and joint pain and stiffness, no vaccine, no cure.

Check the Phuket forum as there are a couple of threads on this topic.

I wish you a healthy and speedy recovery. :)

I think if they service staff in restaurants and bars would break with tradition and wash their hands with soap and water while not coughing and sneezing into the food and drink at least in Thailand we can nip this pandemic in the bud. A two week moratorium in nose picking past the first knuckle will help prevent Thailand from become a flu hub.

Wow- I'd never heard of CHIKUNGUNYA FEVER- just googled it. Makes this silly piggy flu that everyone is so worked up about seem pretty wimpy... Wishing you a speedy recovery. :)

Could Thailand become the SEA hub for these nasty viruses? :)

Maybe those of nervous disposition should stay home just in case the sky falls on them. I do not decry the notion that this may be the beginning of a worldwide disaster, but please people, lets us, for the moment at least, keep a degree of perspective. Already the impressionable are running around like headless chickens.

Odds are pretty good that LOTS of us reading this are going to get this, either in the first wave or later waves.
The announcement essentially warns WHO's 194 member nations to expect the arrival of the new flu strain, which is likely to infect up to one-third of the population in the first wave and return in later waves over the next several years.
Washington Post

If -- and that is a big IF -- this virus would mutate to a much more deadly flu like in 1918, it would have been probably best to have been infected in the first and much less dangerous wave already, as the body then has antibodies. Just a thought.

You can usually take what the World Health Organisation (WHO) says with trust. Why? Because the plutocrat gangsters who run our world do not mess with health issues. They know a pandemic can kill off the rich & powerful as well as the impoverished millions.

It's not just a government-drugs industry scam. The WHO is worried because a mutated/mutating swine flu virus could spark a global pandemic for which there would be no quick answer.

Yet there are some simple prophylactic measures you can take. For rundown & tips, try one site -

http://www.survivetheflu.com

The 1918 – 1920 outbreak took out mainly fit, healthy young adults. It tuned their bodies' strong immune system against them. Many died in 24 hours.

What you do about it is a personal choice. Maybe the best defence is accurate information. I'm too old to bother about myself . Old Git Tom