Legal Problem

hlfourie

For god's sake, pay the man some cash to settle it, else this could become very nasty for you, if it ends up involving the Police and Courts, you might get a black marker on your Visa/Passport, and Thailand don't like criminals.

Reading your update, it looks like they might get you on attempted murder.

You really need to finish this and quick.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the thai man would have been in the grounds of your house and you would have smashed him on the head (in the area of the house)

you will be given the right to state that you were defending your ground on an possible assault or robery.

to the state that you have mentioned he was 3 days in the hospital, so you must have smashed his head like you would do in a baseball game.

on the other thought, try to handle the price down to a half (50,000.-) it is still a lot of money. but it will spaere you all the trouble you have to go through. advise is also to leave a police report on that what has happend

Hi all , thanks for the advice and comments. Sorry for taking so long with an update on this issue but yes i am in big s#!t now with this guy. He is out of the hospital and medically OK, I decided not to pay the money yesterday and go to court as it came out that the so called family that were demanding the money wer'nt even actually family and secondly after getting some feedback from Thais in my area Pattaya (Hat Yai) the meen was a known trouble maker and drunk. I went to the police station this morning and send I was not going to pay the man and want to lay a charge against him for trspassing and threatning my family. The police said I could not make a charge because I was in the wrong and that I wanted to kill the man and not just chase him off my property.

Will advise soon

The Police may well be dealing with this in the time honored manner in which they deal with most events like this. Which is to take the easiest option. You have more money, therefor you pay compensation of some sort.

The risk now though appears to be that the police are involved and this could blow out of proportion.

Have you seen copies of the medical bills ? You could re-visit the Police station and say that as you don't believe you are in the wrong you do not wish you pay compensation, but you would like to help the police with their situation you will pay for the mans medical bills.

Have you received any advice from a Lawyer ? how much trouble could you be in, in the worst case scenario ? Additionally, pleading guilty to something like this in order to face a lesser charge could result in you becoming persona non grata next time you re-enter the Kingdom. It might be easier to just make it go away...

Bottle of whiskey and B5000 (on top of medical bills) might work...

Make him prove it.

i wish i could say that-that is what i would do if i were in his situation, but i really do fear the consequences when the drunkard *does* "prove the point". let's face it, the OP DID beat the guy over the head with stick. therefore, he is truly guilty. sure it sounds bad ass to lie to the police and try and outdo the (deplorable) "justice system". but, what happens when this does turn sour?

anyway, it's commendable to fight this but the fact of the matter is, he's guilty. he may pay quite the penalty...

Nope.

This is Thailand, not, "back home."

Drunks get busted up every day by other Thais and they ain't hauling in tens of thousands of baht when they sober up.

This is opportunistic -- full stop.

Call it what it is.

No Thai would pay this drunk, why should a farang?

We're continually implored to play by their rules. I suggest the OP do just that.

Edited by Texpat

Drunks get busted up every day by other Thais and they ain't hauling in tens of thousands of baht when they sober up.

This is opportunistic -- full stop.

i hear you and you are certainly correct. tens of thousands is absolutely ridiculous. however, i do think 10,000baht should cover the medical bills and get the guy a couple bottles of whiskey for the ongoing headaches.

I HAVE HAD GOTTEN A FRIEND AND HE WAS IN A SIMILAR SITUATION,

GUESS WHAT HAPPEND WHEN HE DID NOT PAY. POLICE DID NOT HELP HIM. BECAUSE HE WAS A FOREIGNER, IF THIS IS YOUR HOUSE IN YOUR NAME THEN IT IS BAD LUCK. BUT IF IT IS ONLY A RENTEDS ONE THEN I SHOULD THINK THAT YOU SHOULD MOVE TO ANOTHER AREA. BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT STOP BOTHERING YOU UNTILL YOU GIVE THEM WHAT YOU WANT. OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE SOME UNPLESANT DAYS.