Global Income

JohnGotti

You live in Thailand on either a tourist visa or a non immigrant O visa. You have an income stream derived outside of Thailand (working through the internet). Your business or profession has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand... Could you run into problems with the government here for not having a work permit/not paying taxes?... Just curious about the actual laws. Has anyone here ever been questioned about such by either an Immigration Officer or a police officer on the street?

Well I know a short and simple answer but it really isnt that much help. The answer is 'Yes' on the basis that under the Labour Act works is defined as 'making and effort' and 'showing expertise' 'whether for remuneration or not'. So you are clearly working without a work permit.

The law tends to be only applied if (1) you are under contract and/or (2) you are receiving payment IN Thailand. I say tends with no particular special expertise and I do know of at least one case where it has been applied without contract and without payment (in which case you dont qualify for a work permit). And that is probably the best advice of all, if you feel that you actually qualify for a Thai work permit, you are virtually 100% certain to be at 'risk' of getting into trouble for not having one.

You live in Thailand on either a tourist visa or a non immigrant O visa. You have an income stream derived outside of Thailand (working through the internet). Your business or profession has absolutely nothing to do with Thailand... Could you run into problems with the government here for not having a work permit/not paying taxes?... Just curious about the actual laws. Has anyone here ever been questioned about such by either an Immigration Officer or a police officer on the street?

I don't think it matters where your bank account is. My understanding is that the tax man considers that the money you earn while in Thailand is earned in Thailand, and therefore subject to his taxation.

I think that is not so different from most other countries.

SC

Only income remitted to Thailand is taxable, not your entire global income.

Even then, there may be a dual tax agreement between Thailand and your home country.

If you have already been taxed at home, then there is no further tax to pay in Thailand

Seems to be alot of disagreement on this issue.

1 thing is certain. You have to pay tax on the income if not here then in your home country or the county of the income.

You (should)have pay tax on the income either from source or here. That is a fact.

How do I know because my UK accountant has told me so.

Seems to be alot of disagreement on this issue.

1 thing is certain. You have to pay tax on the income if not here then in your home country or the county of the income.

You (should)have pay tax on the income either from source or here. That is a fact.

How do I know because my UK accountant has told me so.

Agreed utilimately you have to pay tax somewhere......

Hi

Not sure i would agree, i don’t have to pay tax in my home country when i stay away more than 183 days a year, i do only been back a few times the last many years, i work offshore (not in Thailand) so why should i pay tax, if i have to pay tax too Thailand then i would like the same benefit i would get in my home country

Hi

Not sure i would agree, i don’t have to pay tax in my home country when i stay away more than 183 days a year, i do only been back a few times the last many years, i work offshore (not in Thailand) so why should i pay tax, if i have to pay tax too Thailand then i would like the same benefit i would get in my home country

Valid point and I don't the rules only what my accountant said.

If you generate money then you have to pay tax somewhere.

Maybe the difference is yours is a salary(maybe your head office pays tax against you as offshore?) and the Op sounds like he is running a business but not paying tax anywhere.

Completely different in my opinion.

Hi

Not sure i would agree, i don't have to pay tax in my home country when i stay away more than 183 days a year, i do only been back a few times the last many years, i work offshore (not in Thailand) so why should i pay tax, if i have to pay tax too Thailand then i would like the same benefit i would get in my home country

1. Not resident in home country - No tax payable

2. Where are you working offshore, if its in a tax free country, assuming here middle-east ?? - then obviously no tax payable, or is the company paying the tax for you ??, as the company I work for in Thailand does for me ??

3. Assuming here you are in Thailand less than 180 days a year ??, not working here - No tax payable

Hi

Not sure i would agree, i don't have to pay tax in my home country when i stay away more than 183 days a year, i do only been back a few times the last many years, i work offshore (not in Thailand) so why should i pay tax, if i have to pay tax too Thailand then i would like the same benefit i would get in my home country

2. Where are you working offshore, if its in a tax free country, assuming here middle-east ?? - then obviously no tax payable, or is the company paying the tax for you ??, as the company I work for in Thailand does for me ??

3. Assuming here you are in Thailand less than 180 days a year ??, not working here - No tax payable

Hi

My company don’t pay tax, work as contractor, work all over the world but mostly here in Asia, but have been working in North Sea without paying tax, not that i try to avoid but i don’t have to pay tax

Hi

Hi

My company don't pay tax, work as contractor, work all over the world but mostly here in Asia, but have been working in North Sea without paying tax, not that i try to avoid but i don't have to pay tax

Well if you are working in the British sector of the North Sea, you should be paying tax.. :) , if your are not cant see how you can work there legally....sounds to me your company is fiddling things...if they are be very very careful as at the end of the day, you are liable not the company....

Well maybe in the future and we have all heard the rumours that we may be taxed on our forign income if we live here on a yearly visa! But hey Thailnd is happy at the moment because we have just had our first "Stealth Tax" here already! Yes the 150 baht surcharge at the ATM for every withdrawel with a forign banks atm card....

Hi

Hi

My company don't pay tax, work as contractor, work all over the world but mostly here in Asia, but have been working in North Sea without paying tax, not that i try to avoid but i don't have to pay tax

Well if you are working in the British sector of the North Sea, you should be paying tax.. :) , if your are not cant see how you can work there legally....sounds to me your company is fiddling things...if they are be very very careful as at the end of the day, you are liable not the company....

You dont work offshore do you, believe me different rules