Non-immigrant Visa - Pattaya/jomtien Immigration

Being under the age of 50 years old but married I have limited grounds to apply for a non-immigrant

After reading on this forum and other similar forums I again thought to ask the Pattaya/Jomtien immigration could I apply for my needed VISA using monthly income. At the same time a friend was in the office as well asking the same question.

The outcome; same question, same time, same office....two different answers!

I was told I could not use income in my application, I had to deploy 400 000 baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to application while my friend was told he could apply using income but had to show one year as evidence.

In both our cases we can produce the needed documentation the correct route but the fact the procedure changes even within the same office tells there are little credibility in what they say and it's likely to change before any documentation has been provided.

All I want is to being able to stay in Thailand holding the correct VISA, I want to provide the correct documents and what to do it correct and as the law states.

I come to the conclusion that I am not wanted in Thailand and accept it. For the first time in 10 years I leave to go to work without knowning when I can return. My family (wife and daughter) are left behind and must live with the uncertain future as well.

Another thing that come to my attention today was the near empty immigration office, before when I visited it has always been very busy but today it was less then 10 people inside! A sign that more people like me accept the message and have left to safer shores?

These are the official rules for a 12 month extension of stay from the Thai Police. Note it is not a Visa.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I am aware of the regulation but what can anyone do when the rules are not followed by the immigration office!

Quote"I was told I could not use income in my application, I had to deploy 400 000 baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to application while my friend was told he could apply using income but had to show one year as evidence."

It's anybodys guess what the procedure will be even when the law staes otherwise.......

I suspect it was a bit of confusion. Pattaya immigration has been know to give out conflicting and incorrect information. The front desk there can a be poor source of information.

They go by the written rules to a point and allow for both income and deposits.

If you use an income letter from your embassy they will also want to see a bank book as a back up to the letter. No fixed amount just a bank book showing some transfers into the account and withdrawls.

If you use the money in the bank option they have been reported to want it to be in the bank for 3 months instead of 2 as the rules state.

Being under the age of 50 years old but married I have limited grounds to apply for a non-immigrant

After reading on this forum and other similar forums I again thought to ask the Pattaya/Jomtien immigration could I apply for my needed VISA using monthly income. At the same time a friend was in the office as well asking the same question.

I was told I could not use income in my application, I had to deploy 400 000 baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to application while my friend was told he could apply using income but had to show one year as evidence.

In both our cases we can produce the needed documentation the correct route but the fact the procedure changes even within the same office tells there are little credibility in what they say and it's likely to change before any documentation has been provided.

All I want is to being able to stay in Thailand holding the correct VISA, I want to provide the correct documents and what to do it correct and as the law states.

I come to the conclusion that I am not wanted in Thailand and accept it. For the first time in 10 years I leave to go to work without knowning when I can return. My family (wife and daughter) are left behind and must live with the uncertain future as well.

Another thing that come to my attention today was the near empty immigration office, before when I visited it has always been very busy but today it was less then 10 people inside! A sign that more people like me accept the message and have left to safer shores?

If you are married, what would prevent you from returning with a single entry or multiple entry "O" visa?

If you are married, what would prevent you from returning with a single entry or multiple entry "O" visa?

Of course. poster might come back with a single or multiple O-visa.

But that is not the point.

I suppose the idea behind this posting is the way different officers seem to be using different rules.

Or, not really know the rules, or bending the rules depending on the way breakfast or lunch is digesting, or maybe even the dislike of one's face.

Far be it from me to know, I am just juggling my thoughts.

Or maybe, just maybe, because the way the rules are changed all the time.

Or maybe, the poster is just one of the many who cannot abide with this any more, or is getting fed up with a lot of things?

To the point of contemplating to leave.

Thing is, there are a lot of people out here, having a wife and children, taking care of them, are getting more and more uncertain if they can remain caring husbands & fathers.

Not about the money, not about the will to keep on doing what they do, but because of the "rules".

Yes, and maybe, just maybe, people are feeling more and more that we are not really welcome any more.

The money is, probably.

Thanks for comments.

hansnl summed it all up as I feel it is. There is a time for everybody when enough is just enough and I feel I am there now.

After "fighting" my rights for 10 years I feel like giving up because the changes and the lack of stability I need for myself and my family can't be provided.

I shall not go into details but my work is such I join and leave at different places around the world each time and since I travel on one way tickets I must have a VISA of course. My native country of Norway will not give me a multi entry VISA as they are not allowed by Thai immigration they claim when I ask for reasons. Singapore however will provide me with a 1 year multi entry non-immigrant VISA which to me is perfect as I am never home for more then two months at the time and the VISA allows me 90 days stay each time!

The point is why can't I get my needed VISA within Thailand? Why does two same internationals, at the same time in the same office asking the same question two different answers! The prossess time is also a problem as they won't give you any and since I can't be without my passport for weeks on end due to work it is all becoming so dificult and unpredictable I have lost faith and seek changes.

beachguy; I shall not abandon my family but I seek forsight and stability in order to be with my family, at this moment in time Thailand can't give me that forsight and my fighting spirit has over the years become less as I prevail to Thai immigration real intention by making the road for honest individuals so bumpy they simply give up and admit to the facts.

There are many like me who have commitments but can't apply for a retirement VISA due to being under the age of 50 years old. However, we are many that like to keep given our support and keep our commitment but being subjected to an uncertain future due to changes each full moon! If I had not have the commitment I have today, being a single guy I would have choosen other places to stay simply because I don't feel welcome in Thailand no longer.

For one thing you cannot get a visa here. You can get an extension of stay at immigration.

Maybe if you were asking about getting a visa they were giving you the correct information. Some consulates do want you to show that you have money in the bank and would not accept proof of income.

You will not get a multiple entry non-o in Singapore anymore. It will have to be KL or Penang. Both will want to see a bank book with some money in the account. Approximately 100,000 baht seems to be a good number.

If you meet the financial requirements you can easily get an extension of stay at immigration. Then apply for a multiple re-entry permit which would allow you leave and enter as many time as you want for the length of your extension.

They don't keep your passport when you apply for an extension. You apply for your extension and then you have a 30 day wait period while they consider your application. If you apply 30 days before your current visa entry runs out you could leave and return using a re-entry permit as long as you are back before your permit to stay runs out. If your permit to stay expires during that 30 day wait you then go into a period of limbo because you would not be able to leave without loosing your application.

Ubonjoe: I phoned Singapore two days ago and they confirmed I would get a non-immigrant O multi entry given I could meet the documentation requirements. One of the requirements was "evidence" of 400 000 THB or equvivalent in other currency in my bank with a up to date statement to confirm from the bank. I aksed could that bank be in Norway, the answer was any bank and currency equvivalent to 400 000 THB or more. I have not been to Singapore since february 2008 but the answers was then the same and I did get a VISA showing my Norwegian bank statements like they told two days ago!

When I say "VISA" at Pattaya/Jomtien immigration I do mean extension of course as I do apply on the strenght of a current non-immigrant VISA obtained in Norway in april 2009. My mistake using the wrong words.

I can meet all the requirements but I would rather leave money in my Norwegian bank then in a Thai bank and I would rather apply using my monthly income but that is my battle. My statement is also that everything has a price and a level were you no longer are willing to go beyond. I have have been her too long and battled the system too many times and my will to stay in Thailand is not at any price. I am no longer willing to "run around Asia" to obtain a VISA I should easily be able to obtain localy!

Also repeating myself due to my work I can not be without my passport for weeks on end and when local immigration can not give me any prossess time to expect other then "it's done when it's done" so I can not use their service nonethless!

One thing is certain, it will be different next year and it won't be better then today!

You are aware that you do not give your passport to Immigration during the processing time? You are free to travel with a re-entry permit as long as you can return by the reporting date. It is not ideal but it is not like you have no passport.

The only good reports for getting multiple entry visas of any kind in Singapore has been for people that are residents or citizens there. So if you go there you may be in for an upleasant surprise.

You should be able to show income by using a letter from your embassy. Even money earned by working you shoud be able to get an income letter from them by showing some proof of income.

I cannot understand any reason for not putting money in the bank here. You have to spend money here to support your family. You can deposit it and then it use during the year and then bring it up to 400,000 baht 2 (or 3) months before you make your application.

lopburi3:"You are aware that you do not give your passport to Immigration during the processing time? You are free to travel with a re-entry permit as long as you can return by the reporting date. It is not ideal but it is not like you have no passport."

I was not aware of this, thanks.

ubonjoe: As far as Singapore I have never failed when applying and my first application was in 2002 when it was free and my last VISA obtained was 2008 when it was a bit more documentation but I had no problems at all, 24hours later I had the VISA in my hand showning bank statements from my Norwegian bank (not verified even by the Norwegian embassy!). There might be changes this year of course and that is the core of the issue I am trying to get across on this forum today, the neverending changes obtaining a rightfully VISA.

I lived in Ubon for 5 years ahead of coming to Pattaya and over those years I could never get a bank account in my name. I had a joint account in Krung Thai Bank. I could not show a work permit so the banks refused me an account in my name only. After I came to Pattaya it was easy to get a bank account but the law of the land is still the same (as in Norway, UK with others) you must have a work permit to obtain a bank account. Based on that I see my bank account illigal and my trust in the Thai society having seen money being withdrawn from close friends bank account etc I will not deploy a bigger amount then I can afford to loose so to speak. I transfere monthly to my bank account so solve this issue. I am aware that I would make my application issue so much easier to deploy 400 000 THB into my account and I might just do that if no other options are avaliable.

My point is though: There are other options but when you ask the immigration you always get different answers and why should the prossess be so difficult?

I don't think there is so much more to add other then we all know about the difficulties living correct in Thailand and it does come to a high price as well, a price many might see as too high and too much problems attached and in the end enough is enough.....like me!

I will be leaving tomorrow for work and I will come back but when and on what VISA I don't know yet! One thing is for sure and that is that the balanse between living in Thailand or live elsewere is in favour of elsewere this moment in time!

It's frustrating more then anything.

Again thanks for all your comments.

I can only tell you what the latest reports about getting visas in Singapore say.

There is no law or regulation that says you can't have a bank account without a work permit. It it is a nonsense rule that some bank branches use to keep form letting you open an account. Bangkok banks website even has info for opening a bank account if you don't have a work permit or even for a person with just a tourist visa.

Your funds are fully guaranteed by the goverment now.

I don't don't know why you were given conflicting information by immigration.

We can give you up to date information here that we get from reports by the members. That's how we can give you the requirements of different offices.

The money requirements needed for an extension are the biggest ones and we have given those to you.

The rest is just basic paper work. Marriage certificate, wifes house book and ID card and her for an interview. Then copies of your passport pages and departure card. Some photos of you and the wife in and around the house plus one showing you both that also show the house number. And a map to your house.