First One Year Extention

My wife and I hold O-A (Retirement) Visas with multiple entries issued on August 24, 2oo8. We entered Thailand in September 2oo8 and want to renew now for another year.

We were told that we could leave Thailand to cross over to Cambodia and get the extention for one more year, without e.g. money in the bank required.

If this is so, we would like to do this "Visa Run" on our own in our own car.

Is the border crossing near Soi Dao possible?

Are the borders open on Sundays?

Are all the forms available?

Can we cross the border in our own car?

Thank you for any help.

Felix

You will not be renewing your visa. You will be using another entry that it allows. You can do it at any border crossing. There is no paperwork required other than for the visa to enter Cambodia.

Unless you have a reason to do it now you could wait until just before your visa expires in August. Any entry after that date will require you having a re-entry permit that you can get at immigration.

You can drive across the border in your own car if you have the cars registration book plus some other paperwork It might be easier to just park your car and walk across the border.

The border is open every day of the year.

You will not be renewing your visa. You will be using another entry that it allows. You can do it at any border crossing. There is no paperwork required other than for the visa to enter Cambodia.

Unless you have a reason to do it now you could wait until just before your visa expires in August. Any entry after that date will require you having a re-entry permit that you can get at immigration.

You can drive across the border in your own car if you have the cars registration book plus some other paperwork It might be easier to just park your car and walk across the border.

The border is open every day of the year.

Joe, I thought one year extensions of stay were only granted by Thai Immigration. I just got mine yesterday, but by visiting the U.S. Embassy then Immigration (as you may have seen by my other thread), complete with the hassle of satisfying the financial requirements.

I assume what you said above it true, but I am very surprised such an easy financial requirement loophole exists by doing the Cambodia thing? Never read about that option for the one year extention to the Non-Imm O-A before. If so, that's what I'll do next year. Any downside?

Edited by Lopburi99

My wife and I hold O-A (Retirement) Visas with multiple entries issued on August 24, 2oo8. We entered Thailand in September 2oo8 and want to renew now for another year.

We were told that we could leave Thailand to cross over to Cambodia and get the extention for one more year, without e.g. money in the bank required.

If this is so, we would like to do this "Visa Run" on our own in our own car.

Is the border crossing near Soi Dao possible?

Are the borders open on Sundays?

Are all the forms available?

Can we cross the border in our own car?

Thank you for any help.

Felix

I've done the Cambodia run several times before when I had tourist visas. Joe is right, walking across the border I believe would be much easier, as I've observed cars and trucks waiting in a long line each time before. If you walk however, be prepared to fend off the locals who persistently try to get a few baht from you.

The method involves the multi entry non immigrant OA visa only. It does not apply to single entry or non immigrant O visa extensions. It is a new entry - each entry of the multi entry OA gets a one year stay from entry date (as long as the visa is within its one year of validity).

It is not an option for those on normal extension of stay and the following year the person will normally do the normal extension of stay routine.

Joe, I thought one year extensions of stay were only granted by Thai Immigration. I just got mine yesterday, but by visiting the U.S. Embassy then Immigration (as you may have seen by my other thread), complete with the hassle of satisfying the financial requirements.

I assume what you said above it true, but I am very surprised such an easy financial requirement loophole exists by doing the Cambodia thing? Never read about that option for the one year extention to the Non-Imm O-A before. If so, that's what I'll do next year. Any downside?

It is not an extension of stay they are getting. They have multiple entry non immigrant OA visas that they got at an embassy or consulate which are valid for 1 year and give a 1 year permit to stay for each entry.

They are just going to do another entry that will give them a one year permit to stay from the date of entry.

The method involves the multi entry non immigrant OA visa only. It does not apply to single entry or non immigrant O visa extensions. It is a new entry - each entry of the multi entry OA gets a one year stay from entry date (as long as the visa is within its one year of validity).

It is not an option for those on normal extension of stay and the following year the person will normally do the normal extension of stay routine.

Sounds like people getting a non imm OA in the future should get a multiple entry one if they are worried about passing the financial qualifications in the next year or need additional time for funds to become available, etc. It appears to offer an option for a guaranteed extra year or more which could really be important for some folks.

Edited by Lopburi99

Yes but not all Consulates issue the multi entry and it can only be obtained in your home country and requires medical and police clearance reports. It is not what you obtain from Immigration here in Thailand.