Why Do Single Farang Need To Show 65k?

loong

Do you really beleive this is an average ?. "As far as I know, the average wage in Thailand is about 10,000 Baht/month " ,,,apart from the issan workers these days have long gone, why do you think they have become so complacent ?. they have a lot more money than we think, they just dont brag about and dont mind living in a hammock in a tree, :)

The last time I looked at the statistics, the average wage was 10,000. Obviously some earn a lot more and many a LOT less. Personally, I would love to see the minimum wage raised from the paltry 150 Baht or so per day. Even in Bangkok, I doubt the shopworkers, waiters etc earn much more than the minimum wage set by the government.

Great, another "why we can not live here forever and free" thread.

You guys seem to assume all Thai ladies married to farangs are 100% housewifes. For a fact i know mine is not, she is working and making well above 40k per month. That will total min 80k+ in my case so already more than retirement extension...............

Great, another "why we can not live here forever and free" thread

It is not, so please don't try to turn it into one.

If you don't like this thread please feel free to not look at it again.

I've never applied for a marriage extension as I'm not married to my girlfriend. I use the 800K in the bank for over 50;s usually.

So I can't be absolutely sure, but I have read that the reason for a marriage extension is to "support a Thai spouse" - so maybe it's the immigration dept that assumes the wives are housewives.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great, another "why we can not live here forever and free" thread.

You guys seem to assume all Thai ladies married to farangs are 100% housewifes. For a fact i know mine is not, she is working and making well above 40k per month. That will total min 80k+ in my case so already more than retirement extension.

Also it is only fair that requirement is lower, that ways most if not all families can be together still ensuring the basic living standard is maintained. Also makes it bit more difficult and more hassle to use arranged marriages to gain entry to Thailand.

And for the rising requirements as stated in the other thread several times the answer is "inflation".

It ain't inflation in the country, it is inflation on "the man." Kind of like bush economics.

This whole thread is a smoke screen, obviously for those "in the know" that ran out of ammo in the original one.

Police order does not mention anything regards husband having to "support thai spouse". It's just for expenses, his or her's or whatever.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

But your right, i leave you "in the know" to it for now....

Edit: or should i just start my own thread "Why Thais are required to prove income, accommodation, return tickets, sponsors, cash in hand, TB x-rays etc to get a visa to west while westerners can enter and remain in Thailand indefinedly and free without any visa".... :)

Edited by MJo

This whole thread is a smoke screen, obviously for those "in the know" that ran out of ammo in the original one.

Police order does not mention anything regards husband having to "support thai spouse". It's just for expenses, his or her's or whatever.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I did not start this thread as a smokescreen for whatever thread you are referring to.

I started it because it struck me as strange that it's considered that a farang needs so much more to live on than a Thai.

I started it because of reading about a man who has ample income to take care of his family, but at the mercy of exchange rates doesn't have enough to qualify for an extension. In fact the only option left to him is to waste more of his diminishing income to exit the country to get a visa.

"Police order does not mention anything regards husband having to "support thai spouse"

On the immigration website.....

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service

post-12326-1244894972_thumb.jpg

Their words - not mine

I did not start this thread as a smokescreen for whatever thread you are referring to.

I started it because it struck me as strange that it's considered that a farang needs so much more to live on than a Thai.

I started it because of reading about a man who has ample income to take care of his family, but at the mercy of exchange rates doesn't have enough to qualify for an extension. In fact the only option left to him is to waste more of his diminishing income to exit the country to get a visa.

"Police order does not mention anything regards husband having to "support thai spouse"

On the immigration website.....

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service

post-12326-1244894972_thumb.jpg

Their words - not mine

Loong, there are three posters that follow stories on visas/immigration and then do what they can to turn an intelligent conversation into a shouting match. You can agree with them, disagree with them, or ignore them. One of the good things about ThaiVisa is the ignore button in the control panel. :)

Actually it's a common requirement aimed at protecting local employment. Basically an employer should hire a foreigner only if he has qualification that are not available in the country, which of course translates as a higher salary that the average local employees.

As many people said before, living in Thailand has never been written in basic human rights. You should prove that you will bring something that is not already readily available in the country. Your incomes is a quick way to evaluate your abilities.

Because it's a regulation, not a contest.

An important point that folks overlook is that locals (in any country) have the *right* to residence. Foreigners do not. How the gov't arbitrarily applies the details doesn't have to adhere to anyone's sensibilities. One may as well flip it and praise the gov't for its charity towards married folks.

:)

Well put. Foreigners don't have the right to stay in any country under the same terms as the locals, so why should Thailand be any different?

Can Thais go to the western world and stay there simply because they have the same earning capacity as a bricklayer? I think not.

Why is it perfectly OK for a Thai school to pay a tefl farang 30K (with a work permit), but the same farang who doesn't work (and wires money from home) is required to come up with 40K a month?

This whole visa process hurts my head.

It is very hard to say what the actual average wage is in Thailand. You can look it up and you will likely get several different estimates.

Remember there is likely a big difference in average earnings of a Thai living in Bangkok and a Thai living in the hinterlands.

Just ask some of them........find out what the taxi driver makes.........the cook in a restaurant.....the local banker. My guess is that the average income for average Thais....the bulk of the population.....is probably close to 10,000.

Whatever, we know most Thais are able to live off of a small amount each month.....especially those living in rural areas, the bulk of the 65 million plus population.

Some "farangs" can also live off of a small amount if they live in the hinterlands and adopt a Thai lifestyle. And some do.

Personally, I see no reason for any official income requirement at all. If the foreigner has no money he can't stay, simple as that.

Certainly if he is married the wife will tell him to take a hike (problem solved).

Lopburi's point about single men and the view of the govt. towards them is likely on target.

But, again, I do not see why the govt. should be involved in a social-engineering-farang-culling project based on income.

If you don't have enough money, you have to leave no matter what the govt. policy is.

And if security is the issue--especially with younger men--there are ways of dealing with that (e.g., a security clearance check paid for by the applicant). But TIT.

You can already see farangs living and begging in the streets time to time. Usually they are begging money to get some cash to be able to leave.

To remove the income requirements it will result more and more of these cases and who then is responsible to finance their deportation / tickets back home ? Thai government or US, UK, <insert country> taxpayers ?

Not exactly the paradise tourist destination they want to promote when there is few fellow countrymen begging in each street corner...

I would say that a certain advance notice is lacking with regard to some of these changes- which would be in the interests of the government to avoid vagrancy- but ultimately I'd say if you can't plan for reasonable increases in the cost of living over time, you're going to be in trouble- and eventually down and out- no matter what country you're attempting to live in. If someone is living so hand-to-mouth that he can't afford the expense of leaving Thailand after coming here voluntarily of his own free will, he hasn't been running his life very well... but of course that's just my opinion....

Can Thais go to the western world and stay there simply because they have the same earning capacity as a bricklayer? I think not.

Why o why do people keep coming up with this. This is Thailand, not the western world. Yes (ho hum) it is difficult for a Thai to get a visa to the western world, but there is a lot more on offer to them if they are married to a citizen of that country.

If the Uk government announced that Thai citizens who are married to a Brit needed an income from outside of the country of 4 times the Uk average wage, the topic that followed that would make interesting reading.

If the Uk government announced that Thais are welcome to retire to the Uk as long as they have an income of 6 times the average wage, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'd think it was over the top.

..................Thailand has an obligation to protect its citizen against foreigners who will either drain the resources of the country or take jobs that belongs to the local. Nothing wrong with that, it's the policy of every country in the world...................

You are from France? If so how could you say that?

An important point that folks overlook is that locals (in any country) have the *right* to residence. Foreigners do not. How the gov't arbitrarily applies the details doesn't have to adhere to anyone's sensibilities. One may as well flip it and praise the gov't for its charity towards married folks.

Well put. Foreigners don't have the right to stay in any country under the same terms as the localsPolish can stay in Germany without any limitations for instance, so why should Thailand be any different?

Can Thais go to the western world and stay there simply because they have the same earning capacity as a bricklayer? I think not.Yes, if they are married to one. After some years they easily can get citizenship too if they want

Well put. Foreigners don't have the right to stay in any country under the same terms as the localsPolish can stay in Germany without any limitations for instance, so why should Thailand be any different?

Can Thais go to the western world and stay there simply because they have the same earning capacity as a bricklayer? I think not.Yes, if they are married to one. After some years they easily can get citizenship too if they want

Yeah, I drive on the right hand side of the road here because that's the way they do it back home. It can get kinda hairy but I know in my heart that the rules back home trump whatever setup they have here.

Different place, different game, different rules already.

:D

..................Thailand has an obligation to protect its citizen against foreigners who will either drain the resources of the country or take jobs that belongs to the local. Nothing wrong with that, it's the policy of every country in the world...................

I wish I could reply you but I don't really understand your point

Well put. Foreigners don't have the right to stay in any country under the same terms as the locals Polish can stay in Germany without any limitations for instance, so why should Thailand be any different?

Poland and Germany both belong to the European Union, Thailand doesn't.

Isn't there some utopia I can go live where everyone is filthy rich (enforced by $1mUS held on deposit) and no dope-smoking bar mat stealing crims (background checks prior to entry)?

Would it be too much to outlaw tattoos or smoking?

Edited by Texpat

I wish I could reply you but I don't really understand your point

Well put. Foreigners don't have the right to stay in any country under the same terms as the locals Polish can stay in Germany without any limitations for instance, so why should Thailand be any different?

Poland and Germany both belong to the European Union, Thailand doesn't.

But they are both independent countries. So are Thailand and Laos and Cambodia. And they belong to ASEAN the present EU equivalent in SEA.....

the logic is super simple. they are being nice to married couples. a married farang has stronger ties to Thailand. Its like asking, "Why was my wife's family nicer to me after we got married than when I was just her boy friend?"

Edited by JohnGotti

Their words - not mine

Thai law - not mine

When I started this topic, I asked the question "why is it considered that a family can live on 40K, when a single person needs 65K"

You responded by saying that people here assume that the Thai wife has no income. So what was your point? That 40K isn't considered ample?

I pointed out that the immigration website actually uses the words "to support a wife who is a Thai citizen"

You then come back with the law that simply states that the husband has to have an income of 40K.

Correct me if I am wrong, I'm not an expert in extensions based on marriage.

Didn't the law used to state that the couple had to have a joint income of 40K ?

If so, then they certainly considered that a family income of 40K was sufficient.

Now the husband has to have an income of 40K, so he has to be capable of supporting the family just with his income.

My wife had a good job, earning 26-46 K per month, depending on bonus.

but she is qualified for a whole lot more, doesnt get it because she is female.

she is actually more pissed than me on this because her best friend is a Falang woman married to a Thai,

and she gets everything................Is that fair ?????

freddie

Indeed, it used to be a combination of collective income -- 40K

Now it's farang only -- 40K

Unless you have a job where a thai school can pay you 23K with a work visa. Then you're permitted to live at the pauper income -- but working.

poot hua.

Edited by Texpat

Isn't there some utopia I can go live where everyone is filthy rich (enforced by $1mUS held on deposit) and no dope-smoking bar mat stealing crims (background checks prior to entry)?

Would it be too much to outlaw tattoos or smoking?

Singapore. But I think they require a 2m USD investment for a non working/non married/non retired visa.

Yes it´s not easy to be a sucker for Thailand and try to live by their rules! 5555 :D

Heard from a "friend" he only had to show papers he was married to his Thai Wife and then he got his Non – Imm. Visa at The Thai Embassy in Sweden!

Didnt belive my ears so i asked him about what sum he had to show , what he earned every month or his bank deposit etc. but he didnt´understand anything of what i said!

Later i saw a copy they gave him at the embassy and that sorted things out abit!

Here´s a quote from the Royal Thai Embassy Stockholm Sweden:

A . If you are married to a Thai citizen or have a relation with a Thai citizen as parents or

children to a Thai citizen, the following documents must be submitted.

*Marriage certificate or extract of the population registration (personbevis) indicating that you

are married to a Thai citizen (in case of married )

*Birth Certificate or Personbevis, indicating that you are parents or children to a Thai citizen

*Copy of Thai ID card or Thai passport of your Thai spouse

B. If you are retired and aged 50 and above the following documents must be submitted.

*Pension income from Social insurance (försäkringskassan) or Private insurances company

is not less than 65,000 Baht per month or bank statements showing that deposit cash in the

account is not less than 800,000 Baht during the past 3 months.

*Extract of the population registration (Personbevis)

Here´s the link. -----> Royal Thai Embassy Stockholm Sweden ... sorry , how come i cant´post URL´s here? :D

Anyway you see some Farang dont need to show any bhat at all , he have done it this way twice now .. no im not married to my TGF .... Yet! :)

ps. Those 40-65k i never understod if it´s money before or after tax and how can they know i dont have to spend them on other things then living in Los?? 555 Velly stupid system me thinx! :D

Actually it's a common requirement aimed at protecting local employment. Basically an employer should hire a foreigner only if he has qualification that are not available in the country, which of course translates as a higher salary that the average local employees.

As many people said before, living in Thailand has never been written in basic human rights. You should prove that you will bring something that is not already readily available in the country. Your incomes is a quick way to evaluate your abilities.

But rhe money requirement is not for a work visa which would have to be applied for separately and there are restricted employment laws in place to provent foriegners taking jobs that Thais can do.

The alternative would be to meet the 400k in the bank requirement though. If any foreigner living in Thailand can't cough up $12k in a onshore Thai bank then it's probably better that the farang in question just move to a cheaper country to live in anyway.