Yakult Scam

pdavids

Early last week 4 small bottles of Yakult in a plastic bag were left hanging on the door of my condo. I checked the other three apartments on my level and all had the same plastic bags with Yakult inside. I considered it some sort of promotion. The Yakult was cold, so had obviously been recently placed on the door.

Over the next three to four evenings more small plastic bags with 4 Yakult inside were again left hanging on the apartment door. I was actually home on each occasion and no-one rang the bell. I figured the promotion was being overdone. I don't like Yakult, but brought it inside each time and put it in the fridge. You don't need Yakult going off overnight on your front door. And then last night, the doorbell rang and two ladies in Yakult caps and T shirts presented me with another 4 bottles and a bill for 68baht! They could not speak English and my Thai is limited, but I gave them the 68 baht, told them it was little better than a scam and not to leave any more Yakult.

Although peeved, I still admired the sheer audacity of it. Yet another Thai scam, or a misguided marketing effort on the part of Yakult? And how did they get into the building when security is very tight? The usual kickback, no doubt. This little exercise in condo blocks around town (I live in Sukumvhit) could be a nice little money earner.....

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too, appreciate a good "selling technique" if it takes me completely. Can laugh about it since i am/was not prepared for it, Just for that reason alone I would pay.

But now ..standby for the THAIVISA " YOU SHOULDNOT HAVE"...MOB

Edited by Carib

If it was unsolicited, it was a gift.

Reminds me of the Hari Krishnas giving flowers and books in the SanFran airport years ago. Then jabbering away about their religion. When you've had an earful, they tried to charge you for it.

If you hand it to me. unrequested, and call it a gift, I'm outta there. Gulp, gulp. Gone.

Thanks. I'll consider buying some later.

Don't let people make you feel guilty.

This is not a scam, These ladies work dammed hard for their money and make a honest living. I could see your point if they showed up demanding some crazy price like 500 baht or something but being charged a normal price for delivery is not a big deal, no need to classify this as a scam.

Most Thai families have more than two people living in the house so its normal to have a little bag of drinks dropped off. If you don't want it just tell them you don't want it, no big deal. We used to have a delivery of a whole bag full every few days and it was quite nice to have them in the fridge.

One of my best friends died a few years back and his wife has no other income other than selling these little drinks so I have first hand knowledge of how hard she works and how little she makes off it. I'm quite proud of her for being a good mom and raising up a kid in some pretty dramatic circumstance without having to bend over for her income.

If any of you guys has a chance to buy a few of these silly drinks to support a hard working and honest local you should consider a very small investment into the community. Please reserve the term "Scam" for the true "Scams" which typically involve hookers, the police, or degenerates, not industrious moms who are sending their kids to school by working for a living.

I like Yakult. I buy it often at 7-11s or local mini marts.

This kind of predatory sales has no place in a modern society.

If someone leaves something on my door, it's a gift. Who's to say some scallywag didn't come through collecting the lot?

Edited by Texpat

I have no idea about another "scam" in LoS :)

But i do admire the yakult girls cycling around the sois selling their milk.

Imagine cycling around the hot sois of Bkk everyday if they have discovered a new selling technique good luck to them.

Wonder wher they got he idea from?

The delivery ladies made a mistake delivering to the wrong address, no scam here, move right along.

Mai Krap and onethailand get it. As for those of you who would take the chance to scoff the Yakult and refuse to pay... how hard up are you to refuse to pay 68 baht? 

The same dolts that get taken for overcharged taxi fares, neighbors leeching their electric, higher hotel fares ....

If you're convinced these smiling people mean you only the kindest and heartfelt regards, you're an idiot. (not you per se, as that isn't nice ...)

Feel free to pay extra -- they really respect you for that.

Its not really a scam. It how these girls do business. We are just not used to it. These girls make a profit of like 0.5baht per bottle.

I was in my collegues machine shop once. This Yakult lady just came around and started putting straws in all the bottles and giving them out to everyone. After, she collected money from everyone. Once the straw is in the bottle you can't refuse so you have to pay. You have to request not to have one before she puts the straw in the bottle.

The point is if you didn't want any Yakult then you shouldn't have took it inside and should have left it on the door hanging.

Seriously though, you really though you would receive free Yakult? Its kinda like if someone put a brand new flat screen TV infront of your door. You take it in you bought it, its not free bro.

This is not a scam, These ladies work dammed hard for their money and make a honest living. I could see your point if they showed up demanding some crazy price like 500 baht or something but being charged a normal price for delivery is not a big deal, no need to classify this as a scam.

If any of you guys has a chance to buy a few of these silly drinks to support a hard working and honest local you should consider a very small investment into the community. Please reserve the term "Scam" for the true "Scams" which typically involve hookers, the police, or degenerates, not industrious moms who are sending their kids to school by working for a living.

Right on mister...well said. Texpat must be related to Bush in his scorn for hard-working "little" people! These Yakult ladies work hard in the hot sun all day for little money and provide a nice service for people who desire it. When we move, one of the first things we do try to hook up with the Yakult "girl" for our area and set-up a delivery schedule. Now, whether what happened to the op was an attempt to drum-up a little extra business in these hard times or an honest mistake (I would put my money on the latter), the fact that US$ 2.00 had to be paid really seems to be a bee up Tex's butt :)

If you didn't want it, just tell the condo management about it or the lady when you see them. Security lets them in because they are harmless and many people probably have orders they want filled.

LOL - reminds moi of when my younger brother came to visit us in LA - he actually got nabbed and taken out of LAX by a bunch of HK in a Chevy van - we hooked up with him 2 hours later, not before he had been sexually harassed by 2 or 3 young babes who tried to recruit him. The only difference is that he is 6'6' - 240lb. LAX banned them from the airport a few years later.

Most of these 'ladies' are scouts - sussing out the locale for desirable gear. 100,000 volts on your doorknob will work.

BR>Jack

Reminds me of the Hari Krishnas giving flowers and books in the SanFran airport years ago. Then jabbering away about their religion. When you've had an earful, they tried to charge you for it.

Its not really a scam. It how these girls do business. We are just not used to it. These girls make a profit of like 0.5baht per bottle.

I can confirm that, in our country village, we have a lady who supplements her income by cycling round weekly, delivering a dozen Yakult at a time, so this is a normal distribution-channel here in Thailand. Remember when fresh milk was delivered to-your-door daily in the UK ?

OK these ladies didn't speak any farang languages, so couldn't give a hard verbal sales-pitch to the OP, but they seem to have got the message across to him anyway. Good for them ! :)

Most Thai families have more than two people living in the house so its normal to have a little bag of drinks dropped off. If you don't want it just tell them you don't want it, no big deal. We used to have a delivery of a whole bag full every few days and it was quite nice to have them in the fridge.

One of my best friends died a few years back and his wife has no other income other than selling these little drinks so I have first hand knowledge of how hard she works and how little she makes off it. I'm quite proud of her for being a good mom and raising up a kid in some pretty dramatic circumstance without having to bend over for her income.

No, it is a SCAM. In a real country, that kind of activity would be illegal. I would have told them to F'off and then slammed the door in their face.

Of course it's a scam. Strangers leaving unordered objects on your property and then coming by later and charging you for them? I've never had Yakult and don't want to, if they leave them at my apartment they aren't getting anything from me. And no, I don't particularly want bags of Yakult hanging on my door knob for who knows how many days until they show up with the "bill" for stuff I don't want.

If Pizza Hut randomly left a pizza at my door, and came by the next day for payment, I wouldn't pay them either.

No, it is a SCAM. In a real country, that kind of activity would be illegal. I would have told them to F'off and then slammed the door in their face.

Ah, you are the lovable type I presume

Come to my house to SCAM me, you will get the full force of it.

Come to my house to SCAM me, you will get the full force of it.

Well you cannot help it. Force is probably THE thing where you are from. Does the force go up with the amount of yakult??

Most guys here support working girls and their extended familys - so cut the selfrightious lecturing.

You seem to miss the point - what would you do if some poor milkman in England left 4 pints of unwanted milk o your doorstep each day and wanted you to pay :)

PS Yakult is good for you. I would buy it if they deliverd to my door - if they asked me first.

Warning!

Danger!

Any scheming scamming little girls selling scout cookies or tiny little yogurt drinks who show up on the doorsteps of a grouchy expat will be chained up, water boarded, shot in the face with a war weapon, then dismembered and dumped into the closest river. Grouchy expats cannot be expected to take any crap off little girls!

P.S. Soundman, Good one, I got a good laugh out of that. Im guessing some of the tough talkers here know nothing of Thailand and have never been introduced to a true Thai scam which usually involves a large payment of cash for no other reason than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can just picture them jumping out at a police checkpoint, disarming a cop, then pistol whipping the MIBs over a two hundred baht traffic scam that many of us have encountered and dealt with politely so many times we cant even be bothered to remember them anymore.

Warning!

Danger!

Any scheming scamming little girls selling scout cookies or tiny little yogurt drinks who show up on the doorsteps of a grouchy expat will be chained up, water boarded, shot in the face with a war weapon, then dismembered and dumped into the closest river. Grouchy expats cannot be expected to take any crap off little girls!

P.S. Soundman, Good one, I got a good laugh out of that. Im guessing some of the tough talkers here know nothing of Thailand and have never been introduced to a true Thai scam which usually involves a large payment of cash for no other reason than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can just picture them jumping out at a police checkpoint, disarming a cop, then pistol whipping the MIBs over a two hundred baht traffic scam that many of us have encountered and dealt with politely so many times we cant even be bothered to remember them anymore.

The point is Mr Krap: it would be normal to ask first - thats all. You know just ask any potential customer if they would like it. MAYABE SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE YAKULT.

To all of you guys who think it is not a scam pls. leave me your addresses and I will come tomorrow and leave a can of singha,chang,leo or what ever I just charge you the next day whit a few baht extra. I don't think you can get away with this any where in the world. Yes in the western world you get samples of shampoo or what ever in your mail box but no one comes to collect any money :)

I like Yakult. I buy it often at 7-11s or local mini marts.

This kind of predatory sales has no place in a modern society.

If someone leaves something on my door, it's a gift. Who's to say some scallywag didn't come through collecting the lot?

you buy yakult like products at 7-11.

Yakult is sold directly by these girls, not via third party convinience stores. It is the company's business model in thaland at least.

And yes, these girls work hard for their dosh. They could lie on their backs, but they chose not to.

Lesson learnt: Never take stuff which doesn't obviously belong to you.....

Edited by samran

Most guys here support working girls and their extended familys - so cut the selfrightious lecturing.

You seem to miss the point - what would you do if some poor milkman in England left 4 pints of unwanted milk o your doorstep each day and wanted you to pay :)

PS Yakult is good for you. I would buy it if they deliverd to my door - if they asked me first.

What a load of horse sh#t, Yakult is full of sugar. In that tiny small little bottle (65ml's) there is a massive 11.5grams of sugar, that ism 2 heaped tablespoons of sugar. Before you say it is "good for you" do your research. Yakult is garbage.

I wonder what happens to the Yakult that the sales ladies hang on door knobs and that the residents don’t take inside. Do the sales ladies make the round once more after a short time and collect those bottles?

--

Maestro