Baht Bus Driver

MisterFingers

So I was on Beach Road at Soi 5 at noon, and the Baht Bus beeped as it was approaching, I waved him down and he picked me up. I wanted to go to South Pattaya to shop. I was the only one on the bus.

Suddenly, at Central Pattaya road he makes a left turn. I frantically pressed the button for him to stop. He stopped and I got out. I pointed in the direction of South Pattaya and didn't pay the A-hole, because I had to catch another bus and pay again anyway.

So he beeps, then opens his door, curses in Thai, and gives me the finger. I just looked and walked away.

Did I do the right thing not paying him? Would anyone have done things differently?

Well you could learn a few words of Thai and remonstrate with him in a rugh and uncouth manner, but otherwise who cares, he probably wanted to to either

A: Eat

B: sleep

C: both of the above and couldn't be arsed to fit in with the plans of some "stupid farang" cause he is quite clearly of much higher status than you here, after all he is a "bus driver"

not that I know too much about baht buses, but according to my living dictionary beside me, it's in the manner of the way you hail the baht bus. If you have your hand fully extended with the fingers pointing out, it means you want to go all the way to Pattaya Tai. If you hail it with your hand more straight up, or with your thumb pointing back at you [away from the beach], then he knows you want to go down Pattaya Klang. "Everyone knows, even school kids", she says...

Also, she says you should have paid the minimum 5 baht - and you were very lucky you didn't get whacked over the head. There's stories of people ending up in hospital over 10 baht and some baht bus driver in a bad mood...

you got on the wrong baht bus. his route was to go on central pattaya road i assume and up along carefourr and homepro. he had to go on beach road to do this route. Next time just ask where they're going before you hop on.

The poster is right. He could've busted your knee caps over that. A thai would never get away with what you did.

Did you actually point in the direction of South Pattaya? most people do find out where the bus is going first before boarding.

But to be honest would it have broke the bank to pay him 10 baht?

No it wouldn't have. I just felt he didn't deserve it because he picked me up.

Most people just get on the bus assuming that it's going along beach road.

I've seen it many, many times. People don't ask, just get on, and the bus takes them along beach road.

I felt he was trying to rip me off.

He shouldn't have picked me up if he was going to turn.

My impression was that he was trying to rip off the tourist. And that's what I still think.

That's why he didn't get my money.

No, 10 baht wouldn't have broken the bank.

But I'd rather give 1000 baht to a nice person, than 10 baht to an A-hole who's trying to rip it off me.

Did you actually point in the direction of South Pattaya? most people do find out where the bus is going first before boarding.

I've seen it many, many times. People don't ask, just get on, and the bus takes them along beach road.

My impression was that he was trying to rip off the tourist. And that's what I still think.

But I'd rather give 1000 baht to a nice person, than 10 baht to an A-hole who's trying to rip it off me.

Once you get an understanding of the baht bus system you will know that different buses go different ways, each one has a route that they follow. Always ask where they are going before you get on. I dont think he tried to rip you off, it sounds like a misunderstanding on both parts. My "walking dictionary" (I like that term Merlin :o ) also says you should have at least paid the minimum 5 baht. And yes, be thankful you were able to walk away and get another bus without be hassled then or later by the baht bus mafia.

He wasn't trying to rip you off - you appear to be at "Farang - stage 3" - taking this kind of stuff way too seriously with a spot of "self-righteous indignation" mixed in. The fact is - it was you that misunderstood, not the driver.

Been here long ? Started haggling over the price of a Singha yet ?

Get a grip, otherwise you'll end up getting stabbed over 20 baht.

Try acting like you would at home....

Next - "Farang -stage 4" - Thai boxing lessons...

:D

Must be the only country on earth where they do'nt advertise the

route/destination, then again I aint been to Afghanistan, Togo or

Mali lately.

What happened to the Colour coded number which was supposed to signify the

route ?

AND I see they have ALL removed the price listing for group/private hires !!!!.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr :o

So I was on Beach Road at Soi 5 at noon, and the Baht Bus beeped as it was approaching, I waved him down and he picked me up.  I wanted to go to South Pattaya to shop.  I was the only one on the bus.

Suddenly, at Central Pattaya road he makes a left turn.  I frantically pressed the button for him to stop.  He stopped and I got out.  I pointed in the direction of South Pattaya and didn't pay the A-hole, because I had to catch another bus and pay again anyway.

So he beeps, then opens his door, curses in Thai, and gives me the finger.  I just looked and walked away.

Did I do the right thing not paying him?  Would anyone have done things differently?

Yep you should have paid your 5 baht it's quite a distance from soi 5 to center road

I've done the same only when I've pointed in one direction but he goes in another cos a load of Chinese have asked him to go to a particular place

I had it a couple of times where the driver didn't want my money, once when he wanted to change direction cos of bad traffic and another when he turned into soi yamoto (he said he forgot I was in the back) so I guess they ain't all bad :o

On 2 occations though the drivers wife told me the fare was 20 baht to which I have replied Pom mai die baa, sip baht gor die, kow na poot por por noi

(I'm not stupid, ok 10 baht and next time speak a little better) I think

Yeah, yeah, whatever. 

Thanks for the info Merlin.

I'll span my hand and point to South (or North) Pattaya from now on.

If it happens again, I'll give him the 10 baht and the finger.

You face a lot of crap over next to nothing. Try the Dale Carnegie course

Well i guess he didn't read the "Bathbus driver smacks customer over the head with club over unpaid ride" article a few months ago doc :o

you got on the wrong baht bus.  his route was to go on central pattaya road i assume and up along carefourr and homepro.  he had to go on beach road to do this route.  Next time just ask where they're going before you hop on. 

The poster is right.  He could've busted your knee caps over that.  A thai would never get away with what you did.

This your answer :D

They have to follow routes, If you did ask and he lied then tough siht for him.

I hate the F***ing baht buses. (although i pay 24000bht a month to advertise in them) :o

you got on the wrong baht bus.  his route was to go on central pattaya road i assume and up along carefourr and homepro.  he had to go on beach road to do this route.  Next time just ask where they're going before you hop on. 

The poster is right.  He could've busted your knee caps over that.  A thai would never get away with what you did.

I hate the F***ing baht buses. (although i pay 24000bht a month to advertise in them) :o

H.ell dave, how much would you pay me per month to stick your stickers on my truck? :D

i might add that its parked next door to the owner of electric blues house every nite :D

although he is in luck as i shall be moving my staff from that building this month.

Ha Ha Ha. Yes doc. I want to win friends with some baht bus drivers, and influence other baht bus drivers. I think you're spending too much time on the computer.

Anyway, today it happened to me again. I did the hand span and got picked up. This time, four Thai women in the back. And sure ehough, it turned on Central Pattaya road.

This time, following the advice of the members on this board (Thanks for the advice as I asked for, but some of you didn't have to be so nasty), I went to pay the 10 baht.

The woman in the passenger seat refused my money and waved me off. Some Thai people are nice, recognize mistakes when they are made, and show gestures of kindness to foreigners.

Others....

H.ell dave, how much would you pay me per month to stick your stickers on my truck? :D

i might add that its parked next door to the owner of electric blues house every nite :D

although he is in luck as i shall be moving my staff from that building this month.

Electric Blues??

Do you mean Snowman? :D

Electric Blues??

Do you mean Snowman? :D

nope, me staff are using me truck, jees i wouldnt let all those scruffy lot stay at my place, so they live next door to the owner of electric blue :D i just use my car at the moment but will probably just buy a new truck for work, i really hate putting power tools on those sexy leather bucket seats :D

Yeah, yeah, whatever. 

Well i guess he didn't read the "Bathbus driver smacks customer over the head with club over unpaid ride" article a few months ago doc :o

The name says it all. Too many fingers I reckon Dark. :D

Pedro,

Very sound advice you offer. Thank you.

I think some visitors/guests in Thailand forget that they are guests. I would never risk bodily harm over a baht bus ride or the price of a beer.

If something like ten baht enrages you so much to complain about it on a forum, maybe this is not the correct vacation destination for you.

Thanks again for the reminder. cheers.

one last observation...

What would happen if something really went wrong for this guy?

Lets say his coffee was served cold, or his eggs were scrambled instead of sunnyside up, or the extra towels he requested were not delivered to his hotel room.

Now that, would be a real problem.

Pedro,

Very sound advice you offer. Thank you.

I think some visitors/guests in Thailand forget that they are guests. I would never risk bodily harm over a baht bus ride or the price of a beer.

If something like ten baht enrages you so much to complain about it on a forum, maybe this is not the correct vacation destination for you.

Thanks again for the reminder. cheers.

The reason I started this thread was to ask for advice, whether I did the right thing. Some people gave me good advice, and I appreciate it. I'm not a complainer.

I'm not a cheap guy either. I routinely tip 20 percent at restaurants and bars. Ask any date I've been on, she'll tell you I'm as generous as they come. I don't even haggle about prices at a market.

But if someone's trying to rip me off, I don't care if it's one penny or a thousand dollars, I get ticked off in principle.

Maybe this thread was going a little too fast for you, that you didn't pick up on that. I'm sorry I overestimated the intelligence of some of you.

I had no idea that I was risking bodily harm, as I've never heard about those stories. But if I was, it was out of principle of getting ripped off, not because of 10 baht.

Edited by MisterFingers

Ha Ha Ha. Yes doc. I want to win friends with some baht bus drivers, and influence other baht bus drivers. I think you're spending too much time on the computer.

Anyway, today it happened to me again. I did the hand span and got picked up. This time, four Thai women in the back. And sure ehough, it turned on Central Pattaya road.

This time, following the advice of the members on this board (Thanks for the advice as I asked for, but some of you didn't have to be so nasty), I went to pay the 10 baht.

The woman in the passenger seat refused my money and waved me off. Some Thai people are nice, recognize mistakes when they are made, and show gestures of kindness to foreigners.

Others....

Taxi's might be easier :o

Yeah, yeah, whatever. 

With this attitude you will porbably get your head kicked in , and wonder " Why did that happen?"

:o

Give him a bit of a rundown on just how angry a lost face Thai can really get Chon