Entrance Price To National Parks In Phuket

Gra777

The other day i took my thai girlfriend to the KHAO PHRA THAEO NATIONAL PARK in Phuket.Previously it had been free to enter but this time i had to pay 20 baht for my girlfriend and 200 baht for myself despite showing my thai driving licence.Then i read yesterday that all national parks are giving 50% discounts owing to the lack of people.Have i been duped?

Standard fee is 400 Baht, so with 50% discount the 200 baht is correct.

The dual pricing though is a disgrace IMO, especially for people living and working here, and therefore paying taxes here.

You won't have many places to go, or eat, if you adopt this strategy.

Don't pay! It is shameful that you should have to pay TEN TIMES more because of the colour of your skin. Boycott all places that have this racist policy.

I love it when this topic raises it's head, as it does frequently, because I'm always the the only person in the thread that doesn't have an issue with duel pricing, and everyone gets very feisty. It's obviously something people feel very strongly about. To me it's quite logical. Phuket is in a poor country making a living from tourism and national parks are one of their best natural resources. Why wouldn't they try to make a few quid from them. You need to look at it the other way round. You're not being charged more than Thai people. Thai people are being charged less, because they, on the whole, are poor people. The prices are fairly proportioned with the two different incomes. Nobody has a problem when kids and old people are charged less for the very same reason. Once you have stopped worrying about other people, you need to ask yourself is this good value for money. As far as I'm concerned a couple of quid to spend a day in beautiful national park is fantastic value for money. If your argument is that you live and work here, then maybe you have a point, but on the other hand, nobody asked you to leave your country and come and live in a country where the economy is much worse. As far as Thai people are concerned you are still a Farang who has the ability to be very wealthy by Thai standards, so why should you pay less than any other Farang.

I love it when this topic raises it's head, as it does frequently, because I'm always the the only person in the thread that doesn't have an issue with duel pricing, and everyone gets very feisty. It's obviously something people feel very strongly about. To me it's quite logical. Phuket is in a poor country making a living from tourism and national parks are one of their best natural resources. Why wouldn't they try to make a few quid from them. You need to look at it the other way round. You're not being charged more than Thai people. Thai people are being charged less, because they, on the whole, are poor people. The prices are fairly proportioned with the two different incomes. Nobody has a problem when kids and old people are charged less for the very same reason. Once you have stopped worrying about other people, you need to ask yourself is this good value for money. As far as I'm concerned a couple of quid to spend a day in beautiful national park is fantastic value for money. If your argument is that you live and work here, then maybe you have a point, but on the other hand, nobody asked you to leave your country and come and live in a country where the economy is much worse. As far as Thai people are concerned you are still a Farang who has the ability to be very wealthy by Thai standards, so why should you pay less than any other Farang.

So that would basically mean that if this was the other way round and we employed the same tactics in the UK unless you are arian and can speak perfect english you have to pay double for any service you use. I can imagine how well that would go down.

When they complain we could then say...well nobody asked you to come here, go back to your own country!

Don't pay! It is shameful that you should have to pay TEN TIMES more because of the colour of your skin. Boycott all places that have this racist policy.

Agreed!

Isn't there some kind of website where all those places & businesses are mentioned?

People always make comparisons, when it comes to this topic, where there is no comparison to be made. The U.K is flooded with immigrants coming from poorer countries because they can earn (or be given, more often than not) more money than they can get in their own country, so doubling the price for them isn't even close to being the same thing. For your comparison to make sense, the visitors to the U.K would have to be from a country where they earned, on average, ten times more than people do in the U.K. and of course that country doesn't exist. So you're just highlighting the fact that you're not looking at it from a logical perspective.

Sorry, discriminating on someone based purely on the colour of their skin, is terrible and should be stamped out.

It's as simple as that.

Tuk Tuk drivers and tourist shops trying to make a fast buck from holiday makers is one thing.

Government condoned discrimination is another.

It's inhuman.

As a teacher in Phuket, please don't tell me that i'm rich compared to a great many Thai people. I'm not.

You only have to look at the number and types of cars on the road which i couldnt even afford the repayments on.

Then there is the issue of tax payments. Many so-called poor Thai people fall under the threshold for paying tax. Another large proportion cook the books and also dont pay tax.

I pay the full whack as an employee of a Thai company.

I speak pretty good Thai. I pay tax. I have a work permit and tax card. And i absolutely refuse to pay any more than the Thai rate.

I've never been refused either by the way.

My favourite infamous one is Wat doi suthep in Chiang Mai. Big BIG sign saying 'foreigners' which herds you into a ticket booth area, Thais - even Muslim Thais go in for free.

I stood my ground, said i was Budhist and paid tax here, and they let me in for free.

I will not tolerate discrimination in any form.

My favourite infamous one is Wat doi suthep in Chiang Mai. Big BIG sign saying 'foreigners' which herds you into a ticket booth area, Thais - even Muslim Thais go in for free.

I stood my ground, said i was Budhist and paid tax here, and they let me in for free.

It's only a sign, absolutely nothing to stop any person walking straight into the Wat. That's what I did when at Doi Suthep and I was not challenged. There are no ticket collector on the gate, and when has there ever been a fee to enter a Wat in Thailand ??

Sorry, discriminating on someone based purely on the colour of their skin, is terrible and should be stamped out.

It's as simple as that.

Tuk Tuk drivers and tourist shops trying to make a fast buck from holiday makers is one thing.

It's inhuman.

As a teacher in Phuket, please don't tell me that i'm rich compared to a great many Thai people. I'm not.

You only have to look at the number and types of cars on the road which i couldnt even afford the repayments on.

Then there is the issue of tax payments. Many so-called poor Thai people fall under the threshold for paying tax. Another large proportion cook the books and also dont pay tax.

I speak pretty good Thai. I pay tax. I have a work permit and tax card. And i absolutely refuse to pay any more than the Thai rate.

It has nothing to do with the colour of the skin. The fact that people can't see past the 'racist' angle is the problem. If I went to Romania or Moldova, two extremely poor countries, where the locals have almost the same colour skin as me, I would expect, and be happy, to pay more for an attraction than the locals did, even if I lived and worked there.And by your theory, Japanese tourists would pay Thai prices based on being the same colour! You chose to be a teacher in Phuket. You did not have this economy forced on you but chose it voluntarily. The simple fact is, in Farang money it is a very fare price for what you get, and most Farangs that are paying it have earned the money in Europe or America etc. and have no right to complain. Those of you that work here, your case is a bit stronger, but I still maintain you have no right to complain that you do not earn enough money to pay the full price when you chose to leave a country where you could to come and work here. You want your cake and eat it too!! Not to mention that the parks are run pretty well by Thai standards and the money is put to good use. Finally to use the word 'Inhuman' is a joke. You don't know how privileged you are to have the choice to live here or in a Western country, don't take it for granted.

I went to the Gibbon rehab center in the center of the island about a month ago.

The guy at the gate told us (2 farangs, one Thai adult and 4 Thai kids) that we would have to pay 400 baht.

We showed him our Thai drivers licenses that proved we lived here.

He said we had to pay the farang price of 200 baht each (the sign also said Thai's 40 baht, kids 20 or something like that)

So, we figured, since his math was way wrong, it was negotiable.

We said, how about 200 baht for everybody.

He insisted on 400 baht even though the sign gave all the prices above.

We said, no thanks. Then proceeded to drive around (you can drive some back roads and get past the ticket booth)

I know we snuck in but didn't feel guilty as it was pretty obvious to us that he was going to pocket the extra money anyway since he wasn't going by the prices listed.

But usually, my Thai drivers license gets me in at Thai prices.

So that would basically mean that if this was the other way round and we employed the same tactics in the UK unless you are arian and can speak perfect english you have to pay double for any service you use. I can imagine how well that would go down.

When they complain we could then say...well nobody asked you to come here, go back to your own country!

Asmall markup is acceptable...not 10 times the amount.

OK pensioners and children get concessions at home...but not this differential.

I witnessed a coachload of tourists getting back on the bus to a similar tourist attraction...as they were discriminated against.

The irate ticket man tried to agree a cheaper price...but was rebuffed...and rightly so.

Surely then well heeled Thai folk can pay the full whack..or am i missing the point.

Nope...it's another form of Thai greed ...and a policy that will see this countries tourism and fortunes decline.

Thailand may have finally admitted there is a recession...shame they cannot adjust their business practices to attract more custom.

Perhaps Thai Airways can reduce their prices to Bangkok to fill planes rather than cancel flights and orders for the A380 Airbus.

People always make comparisons, when it comes to this topic, where there is no comparison to be made. The U.K is flooded with immigrants coming from poorer countries because they can earn (or be given, more often than not) more money than they can get in their own country, so doubling the price for them isn't even close to being the same thing. For your comparison to make sense, the visitors to the U.K would have to be from a country where they earned, on average, ten times more than people do in the U.K. and of course that country doesn't exist. So you're just highlighting the fact that you're not looking at it from a logical perspective.

Best of both worlds-pay 1/10th in Thailand and collect generous benefits in the west. Where can I sign up?

The Thai guy driving the mercedes pays B40 and I pay B400. Asians really have to shake their collective heads at farangs; they rip us off and we agree with them (because they're poor...)

If double (or more) pricing is really correct, then why does not Thai McDonalds charge tourists B270 for a hamburger and Thais B27? Or why not charge the farang B400,000 for Honda Wave but charge the Thais the regular B40,000 price? Still "great" value for money, right?

Double pricing is just plain wrong. But why should they not when it seems that most farangs agree with them?

It's as simple as that.

It's inhuman.

It has nothing to do with the colour of the skin. The fact that people can't see past the 'racist' angle is the problem. If I went to Romania or Moldova, two extremely poor countries, where the locals have almost the same colour skin as me, I would expect, and be happy, to pay more for an attraction than the locals did, even if I lived and worked there.And by your theory, Japanese tourists would pay Thai prices based on being the same colour! You chose to be a teacher in Phuket. You did not have this economy forced on you but chose it voluntarily. The simple fact is, in Farang money it is a very fare price for what you get, and most Farangs that are paying it have earned the money in Europe or America etc. and have no right to complain. Those of you that work here, your case is a bit stronger, but I still maintain you have no right to complain that you do not earn enough money to pay the full price when you chose to leave a country where you could to come and work here. You want your cake and eat it too!! Not to mention that the parks are run pretty well by Thai standards and the money is put to good use. Finally to use the word 'Inhuman' is a joke. You don't know how privileged you are to have the choice to live here or in a Western country, don't take it for granted.

Unfortunately, your attitude is what contributes to the reputation that Thailand currently has as an overpriced, poor value venue. If you feel that it's charitable to be able to contribute more, as a 'rich' farang, then this should be voluntary, not compulsory. Unless you introduce equality of pricing at all levels of particularly Government venues (i.e. National Parks etc), then the norm for many Thai businesses is that farang are happy to pay double or quadruple the normal Thai prices. Your attitude is contributing to what many foreign residents object to, namely being taken for granted, and worst, being taken for fools.

Unfortunately, your attitude is what contributes to the reputation that Thailand currently has as an overpriced, poor value venue. If you feel that it's charitable to be able to contribute more, as a 'rich' farang, then this should be voluntary, not compulsory. Unless you introduce equality of pricing at all levels of particularly Government venues (i.e. National Parks etc), then the norm for many Thai businesses is that farang are happy to pay double or quadruple the normal Thai prices. Your attitude is contributing to what many foreign residents object to, namely being taken for granted, and worst, being taken for fools.

How can my opinion help make people think Thailand is over priced and a poor value venue, when I am saying the exact opposite. I'm saying that a couple of quid to spend the day in a national park is great value. I earn well in the west and spend my money in Thailand where money goes five times as far, I think living here is fantastic value for money, and I don't take that for granted. I never have this constant feeling of being taken for a ride that everyone seems to have. I pay the same as Thais for food in the market, food in Thai restaurants, shopping centers etc, and if I come across someone trying to take the piss, I simply don't go there again. I have said this before on another thread about the same subject. If you can't afford a couple of hundred baht for a day out then ask yourself, do you have enough money to be a guest in someone else's country, and is it maybe time to go home.

How can my opinion help make people think Thailand is over priced and a poor value venue, when I am saying the exact opposite. I'm saying that a couple of quid to spend the day in a national park is great value. I earn well in the west and spend my money in Thailand where money goes five times as far, I think living here is fantastic value for money, and I don't take that for granted. I never have this constant feeling of being taken for a ride that everyone seems to have. I pay the same as Thais for food in the market, food in Thai restaurants, shopping centers etc, and if I come across someone trying to take the piss, I simply don't go there again. I have said this before on another thread about the same subject. If you can't afford a couple of hundred baht for a day out then ask yourself, do you have enough money to be a guest in someone else's country, and is it maybe time to go home.

I can understand your sentiment, and like you, I live in an environment where I mostly pay the same as Thais in the market or many other facilities etc. However, being 'charitable' shouldn't come into it. Yes, there are many instances where pricing of food and services are equitable, but the point that I'm making is that if we subscribe to a different pricing policy based on 'farang' or Thai, that's to be deplored, which is typical where tourists rather than more streetwise residents are concerned. Discounts, reduced prices for OAP's, children, that is of course a given in any environment, but not because someone is from a different country. I question your mathematics on the X5 scenario, but obviously I'm not acquainted with where you live or lived before. Understand, it is the supposition that because someone is from a supposedly richer country, they can afford to pay twice the price of someone local is totally alien to me. The reality is that most people from other countries have saved hard to visit Thailand, and believe in doing so they will enjoy the experience of a different culture and lifestyle. To be so blatantly overcharged is insulting, and sours what should be an enjoyable vacation. Please, don't roll out the 'guest' scenario, I'm afraid that's been over done.

The most pleasurable experiences in Phuket, at least as far as I'm concerned, are at minimal cost or nothing at all, i.e some of the beaches, views tc, and there are some excellent facilities to be had at a price also. However, the price should be equitable to all.

I'm a firm believer in contributing to the society that I chose to live in, and am prepared to pay a premium to do so. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm going to roll over and say 'thank you and do me again' for being ripped off at every opportunity.

I went to the Gibbon rehab center in the center of the island about a month ago.

The guy at the gate told us (2 farangs, one Thai adult and 4 Thai kids) that we would have to pay 400 baht.

We showed him our Thai drivers licenses that proved we lived here.

He said we had to pay the farang price of 200 baht each (the sign also said Thai's 40 baht, kids 20 or something like that)

So, we figured, since his math was way wrong, it was negotiable.

We said, how about 200 baht for everybody.

He insisted on 400 baht even though the sign gave all the prices above.

We said, no thanks. Then proceeded to drive around (you can drive some back roads and get past the ticket booth)

I know we snuck in but didn't feel guilty as it was pretty obvious to us that he was going to pocket the extra money anyway since he wasn't going by the prices listed.

But usually, my Thai drivers license gets me in at Thai prices.

I talked to the man, went to eat at the nearby restaurant was told you could get in there after 3pm, free :) not tried it mind !!

It's only a sign, absolutely nothing to stop any person walking straight into the Wat. That's what I did when at Doi Suthep and I was not challenged. There are no ticket collector on the gate, and when has there ever been a fee to enter a Wat in Thailand ??

Sorry but on the occasion that i visited, i WAS stopped at the entrance to wat doi suthep.

I had to go into the ticket booth and explain my case to them, they then issued me with a free guest pass ticket which was duly collected by the man at the entrance.

The point of all this is that by having the government condone such sweeping generalisations that all Thais are poor and all foreigners are rich, leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

A tourist who comes here is assumed to be rich because 'you can afford to fly here'. Well what if he scrimped and saved 1000 pounds over 2 years for a dream break, blew half on a ticket and prudently spent the other half whilst here. He is hardly rich is he?

My boss, on the other hand, owns one of the nicest hotels in Phuket, as well as various other businesses, and his driver chooses from a small fleet of Mercedes and an Audi TT to whisk my boss around in. He pays 40 b for entrance and i pay 400 baht?

Its just the fact that you cant make huge generalisations about someone's wealth based purely on the fact that they are western or Thai.

The phuket gazette used to publish a top 10 tourist complaints list.

After jet skis and tuk tuks, the 3rd place used to always be 'the feeling of getting ripped off'

Tourism really does play a large part in Thailand's economy - look at their annual GDP figures - and the 3rd complaint in Phuket is of feeling ripped off. Now the gazettes report doesnt actually specify entry to national parks, but one can hardly argue that government condoned dual pricing is helping the matter.

Someone also said that the parks are 'good value'.

I've been to a goodly number, as i'm sure many members on here have too, where the 'park' is an unkept, litter-strewn area of land with a dribbly water fall in it with no facilities save a coupe of itinerant samlor drivers selling somtum and fruit.

I will never ever subscribe to dual pricing and i will never make an assumption about someone's wealth based upon their ethnicity.

Not to mention that the parks are run pretty well by Thai standards and the money is put to good use.

To say that the money is put to good use, explains everything about you and needs no further comment.

No one in a right state of mind would declare something like that.

I seriously cant believe that you think a foreigner who works and pays taxes in thailand earning a thai wage should then be charged more than a local thai person when they go to a local national park.

At what point does someone not become a guest and get treated as a local, if it was up to you i guess never. If after living somewhere for a few decades being married to a thai person having thai children, running a business that benefits the locals you still get treated as a rich tourist i think there is something wrong. I believe there are lots of people in this situation on this forum (although not me...lol).

I seriously cant believe that you think a foreigner who works and pays taxes in thailand earning a thai wage should then be charged more than a local thai person when they go to a local national park.

At what point does someone not become a guest and get treated as a local, if it was up to you i guess never. If after living somewhere for a few decades being married to a thai person having thai children, running a business that benefits the locals you still get treated as a rich tourist i think there is something wrong. I believe there are lots of people in this situation on this forum (although not me...lol).

You still make it sound like you've been imprisoned here and that you have no choice but to live here and pay taxes, you're here because your life is much better for being here, if it wasn't you would have gone home by now. People like you only look at things from your side of the fence, poor me I have to pay £4 to get in to a national park, poor me I'm being ripped off by all these Thai people trying to over charge me, Boo hoo. If your telling me that if you were born in a developing country you wouldn't milk tourists for everything you could, and that you would be so principled that you would be happy to make less money so the tourists weren't being ripped off then you're a lier or very deluded. If there was duel pricing say when American tourists went to England or vice versa then that would be ilogical and wrong but when one of the countries is as poor as Thailand it makes perfect sense. I guess maybe I'm just happier than others, I don't feel the need to moan about much when I'm in Thailand.

I wouldnt go to any government facility, even though with work permit and residency plus 3 half Thai kids I could probably get in at Thai price...just cant be bothered with it.....Windsor Castle £14.50....the Queen should start charging Thais £145 for entrance ...see how they like it

You still make it sound like you've been imprisoned here and that you have no choice but to live here and pay taxes, you're here because your life is much better for being here, if it wasn't you would have gone home by now. People like you only look at things from your side of the fence, poor me I have to pay £4 to get in to a national park, poor me I'm being ripped off by all these Thai people trying to over charge me, Boo hoo. If your telling me that if you were born in a developing country you wouldn't milk tourists for everything you could, and that you would be so principled that you would be happy to make less money so the tourists weren't being ripped off then you're a lier or very deluded. If there was duel pricing say when American tourists went to England or vice versa then that would be ilogical and wrong but when one of the countries is as poor as Thailand it makes perfect sense. I guess maybe I'm just happier than others, I don't feel the need to moan about much when I'm in Thailand.

And a U.K. student on a gap year £20,000 in debt and doing voluntary work in Thailand should pay 10 times more than a Thai that has a 2 million baht merc...........grow up...its a disgust that dual pricing exists and is just another nail in Thai tourism