What Documents Are Required For A Retirement Visa?

The officer told me there had been a change in the law and now the government does not allow the third option of combining outside income plus a bank account for a total of 800,000B.

Talking to a friend last week, he had just come back from the UK... He told me 5year ago that from now on his Kids would have to Visit him here as he was to old and the flight to the UK was to much strain he is in his 80's.. Anyway the outcome was that Immigration would not renew his extension on combining UK Pension plus a bank account for a total of 800,000B, that was why he had to make a flight back to the UK to get a new A-0 Visa..

I thought he had made a mistake as many here use the UK Pension plus a bank account for a total of 800,000 baht, but maybe he was correct ??

It is funny that exentsion can quote a police order:

5.4 Foreigner who wishes to extend his or her stay shall submit a request for extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer or a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate showing an amount of not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht. A one-year extension of stay shall be granted at the discretion of the immigration officer to the foreigner as long as he or she meets the above requirements.

that is nowhere mentioned. In his post he also doesn't mention where he got it from.

Posts containing rumour and the replies to it have been removed and after we had time to ivestigate the information given by "extension" made available again.

"Extension" has informed us the rules he quoted came from the website of the Thai Foreign office:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

The rules in there clearly state or an income certificate plus a deposit account showing a total amount of not less than 800,000 Baht.

That is the same as what the police order says. No information is available to confirm the information given by "extension", also not in Thai. Normaly the immigrationpolice will publish a change to a policeorder on it's website, we cannot find any new rules there.

Part of the information comes from the Foreign office, while the rules for an extension of stay are made by the immigration police, under the ministry of interior.

We can only asume that the information given is incorrect. Of course we will look further into it but so far it is just a rumour and we don't want people to panic on unconfirmed rumours. Because of that I close this thread.

If anyone has relevant information please contact a moderator by PM and we can add it here or open the thread again.

We had confirmation today by an immigration usperintendent that there have been no rule changes to the retirement extension. The rules are still as described in police order 777/2551.

I can only conclude that it is a case of misinterpretation by the local immigraiton office "extension" used or that immigration where confused with the extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai national.

I have recieved the follwing PM from "extension" with the request to give you all an update:

I would like to update my posting about requirements for the retirement visa. When I wrote the original posting I should have said that I had been “told” by my provincial immigration officer that there were changes in the rules, which he said now forbids foreigners from combining outside income with a bank deposit. I have since learned that there have NOT been any changes to Order of the Royal Thai Police Bureau No. 777/2551 (2008), 2.22 section (5), which states “or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date” (http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page).

Today I called the Government Contact Center at 1111, which is working with the Immigration Bureau. The woman asked me for all the details in good English and then called the Immigration Bureau. She called back to say that Order 777 is correct and there have been no changes. She said she did not have any authority to call my provincial immigration office and asked me to call the Immigration Bureau Call Center at 1178. She said you need to listen to one of the recorded messages and then press #2 for “fast service.” I did that and talked to another woman in English who took all the details. She called my provincial immigration office and then called me back. She said the provincial office now agrees that there have not been any changes to the law and urged me to meet with them again. I have since made an appointment to do so.

This confirms that the immigration officer made a mistake and was probably confused with the extension for based on marriage to a Thai.

As this settles it, case closed.