How Close Are You To Packing It All In

deprogrammed

[Anybody who likes it here in my mind has their head in the sand and honestly is unable to make it at home for one reason or another.

Also The thais are as fake as they come. They smile at you and stab you in the back later.

Evil, ignorant folk they are

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

skooldaze!!!!

You are by far the most negative guy I have ever heard of. Have you lost it completely!! It is very easy when reading

what you write, to asssume that you have big problem in having a social life and act together with other people!!

You may be disapointed, but it doesn´t give you thr write to judge over ALL other people. If you have met a:holes

here judge them, but not a people in whole, that is EVIL.

All things you complain about, has been the same all since you came here yourself.

so accept it or just .....

Glegolo

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be working offshore 6 mths on 6 off, and need somewhere to stay for a couple of years so i dont have to pay UK tax, it was going to be LOS, but now im looking into the possibility of Singapore.

Reasons being Thai women arent what theyre cracked up to be, the only ones available to most Farang are whores, freelancers or girls that think i'm going to sponsor their shopping activities so they can look HISO to their peers, and im of an age where i need to think about settling down. I dont wish to be hassled when walking down a street all the time, most of BKK is out of bounds as i cant speak the language so i end up going to the same tourist trap places that are full of undesireables. And as the OP said the undertone of feeling i get that farangs are resented and not wanted here.

Maybe you gotta stop offering them money to talk to you

CORRECT. Plenty of decent partners out there, but I'm guessing you hang out in the WRONG PLACES.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

skooldaze!!!!

You are by far the most negative guy I have ever heard of. Have you lost it completely!! It is very easy when reading

what you write, to assume that you have big problem in having a social life and act together with other people!!

You may be disapointed, but it doesn´t give you thr write to judge over ALL other people. If you have met a:holes

here judge them, but not a people in whole, that is EVIL.

All things you complain about, has been the same all since you came here yourself.

so accept it or just .....

Glegolo

Gigalo:

I've got plenty of friends here, Thais and farang alike. I get along well with them, play golf and tennis with them, drink beer with them and eat with them regularly.

But I hate being treated and looked at as the jolly green giant when in public and assaulted with stares and people wanting to touch my kids when we are out as if they're some animals in a petting zoo. Not with those regular booger-picking fingers. And, "huh huh farang", is the racist comment I and all farang have to endure here on a daily basis. My kids here it too and I seethe.

It's not cute. It's racist, plain and simple.

Racist too are the policies of home ownership, the work permit, the 90-day check in with the gestapo, the yearly renewal of my marriage visa, the double pricing.

I only started complaining and later packing my bags when i realized just how racist this place is even to people that pull down big dough and employ people here. I'm no itinerant backpacker.

And don't fool yourself buddy. The majority of the people here, except the girls that fake you into believing they love you, would rather see YOU and ME the hel_l out of here. Thais are xenophobes. The poor thais want to take advantage of you, the rich thais wish you would leave and the middle class fit into either of the two aforementioned camps.

This country lost its charm for me a long time ago but not for the reasons you posted to start this thread. I'm tired of being treated like a criminal and having to check in with the authorities every 90 days.

Can't own land.

can'd own a house.

Have no rights.

COrruption is rife and gets in the way of conducting business and I won't pay bribes.

Complete lack of regard for safety.

The FILTH and RANK ODORS EVERYWHERE

Anybody who likes it here in my mind has their head in the sand and honestly is unable to make it at home for one reason or another.

Also The thais are as fake as they come. They smile at you and stab you in the back later.

Evil, ignorant folk you are.How long ago did Thai lose it's charm for you,still here you are????

Anybody who likes it here in your mind has their heads in the sand and honestly is unable to make it

at home for one reason or another, still here you are.Why you don't shut the <removed> up and move on ???

STILL HERE YOU ARE.Show us you have the eggs,whinge about it,whine about it,STILL HERE YOU ARE.

You strike me as the perfect candidate who can't make it at home.Go home, enjoy.We'll enjoy that you did,hope you do to.

I don't think you will be able to,where ever you go.Lot's of luck a---wipe.

Edited by kimincm

Well, I left in April. After 9yrs it was just time to move on until things with the politics get a little better. Also, my company exports went down to just about nothing. the domestic market I cant compete.. So Im back in the US, my wife is working on her visa and by the time she gets that I should have a new business here running. I will come back as I love Thailand, just don't know when. I left right after Song Khran, my house is one street over from the prime minister, we had protests almost daily, had the army camped out in front of my house for 4 days. Everyone was nice, but just not a good environment.

I hope that in the next 2-3 years Thailand will get the politics worked out and stable and the global economy picks up then I can come back. For now just shut down the factory and will work on things here. I still love Thailand, think Thai girls are 100% better than most western girls you meet. will be back..

With all the current uncertainties: poor exchange rates, rising prices, high crime, anti farang centiment, police shakedowns, road chaos, poor service, agressive Thais, constant change in visa regs, uncertainty if you have any rights to your house - even if you bought it in your wifes name, etc. etc. etc. - - - -

Are you close to throwing in the towel?

I am not sure where this perception that there is an anti farang sentiment comes from. Yes the visa rules are not as clear cut as it can be and there are changes every so often, there is red tape, there is dual pricing, there are scams (perceived or otherwise) and there are corrupt officials...but does all this add up to an "anti farang sentiment"? More likely, these are the "inconveniences of living in a third world country: it was a third world country when we arrived and it still is, so what exactly is this anti farang sentiment?

This country lost its charm for me a long time ago but not for the reasons you posted to start this thread. I'm tired of being treated like a criminal and having to check in with the authorities every 90 days.

Can't own land.

can'd own a house.

Have no rights.

COrruption is rife and gets in the way of conducting business and I won't pay bribes.

Anybody who likes it here in my mind has their head in the sand and honestly is unable to make it at home for one reason or another.

Evil, ignorant folk you are.How long ago did Thai lose it's charm for you,still here you are????

Anybody who likes it here in your mind has their heads in the sand and honestly is unable to make it

at home for one reason or another, still here you are.Why you don't shut the <removed> up and move on ???

STILL HERE YOU ARE.Show us you have the eggs,whinge about it,whine about it,STILL HERE YOU ARE.

You strike me as the perfect candidate who can't make it at home.Go home, enjoy.We'll enjoy that you did,hope you do to.

I left a year ago and come back only on trips with the wife and kids!And my career took off after leaving siam and so did our quality of life. Best thing I ever did was to LEAVE.

Edited by skooldaze

With all the current uncertainties: poor exchange rates, rising prices, high crime, anti farang centiment, police shakedowns, road chaos, poor service, agressive Thais, constant change in visa regs, uncertainty if you have any rights to your house - even if you bought it in your wifes name, etc. etc. etc. - - - -

Not throwing it in exactly . . . but let's just say I'm glad I'm off to Portugal for a few years on contract.

I don't experience any of what you describe where I live by the way. The house thing is worrying but just going to give the lot to daughter. I suppose it depends on where you live, how you live and whether you are accepted as part of the community.

Let's just say I know more neighbours here than I did living on the same street in the UK for 20 years. Says something dunnit?

Reports from the UK say big time food inflation there, high crime, road chaos, anti-farang sentiment, aggressive chavs . . . but at least the exchange rate is good!

I still get better value for money here than in most other places. I also remember the thiings that make me mad from my home country too. I work all over the world and the bottom line is that nowhere is perfect and this is still one of the better options (for me). If I could afford it i would move to Hong Kong.

I am always open to suggestions of a better place though, anyone????

Just returned from beautiful Penang. Cheaper now than Thailand. Everyone very friendly and they all speak English. 5-10 year re-entry visa, duty free car and permission to buy 2 properties. This is for retirees and the same as here regarding financial requirements. I also beleive that you could stay there as a tourist and do a visa run to the Thai border.

Can't own land.

can'd own a house.

Have no rights.

I left a year ago and come back only on trips with the wife and kids!And my career took off after leaving siam and so did our quality of life. Best thing I ever did was to LEAVE.

If your life is so great NOW than why are you still on this site whining of how terrible it was for you and family? Most "happy" people would gladly leave their previous terrible life behind and not look back.

This is such an emotive subject.

I've only been here 3 years but have met people who couldn't stand it (and have gone back home), who have been here for 10+ years and enjoy the freedom (but are v vocal in the way they hate many aspects of life here), and others who have only been here for a short while (like me), and are giving it the benefit of the doubt.

The advantages are obvious - beautiful scenery, wonderful (if hot) weather, and smiling people. PLUS most importantly, a lower cost of living and, VERY availavble women!!

The disatvantages? Smiling (but falsely) - but then again, who cares?, never being truly accepted and a cost of living that is slowly increasing . Plus of course, the embarrassment of knowing that anyone who marries a Thai woman will be thought of as marrying a hooker!

Edited by F1fanatic

I ain't packing it in, no chance. Been here 6 years and i'm just getting started. My reading and written Thai is up to Prathom Level 2 now, so i still have a long way to go before i can understand as much as i want to. But i do think that is one important thing that most people coming to live here don't take into enough consideration - to learn about the language and culture, and to accept it for what it is and try to respect it too. You might find more enjoyment by embracing it than shunning it. Anti-farang sentiment??? Yeah maybe if you're a p+*ck you'll get that, but not cos you're farang, just cos you're a p+*ck......

I ain't packing it in, no chance. Been here 6 years and i'm just getting started. My reading and written Thai is up to Prathom Level 2 now, so i still have a long way to go before i can understand as much as i want to. But i do think that is one important thing that most people coming to live here don't take into enough consideration - to learn about the language and culture, and to accept it for what it is and try to respect it too. You might find more enjoyment by embracing it than shunning it. Anti-farang sentiment??? Yeah maybe if you're a p+*ck you'll get that, but not cos you're farang, just cos you're a p+*ck......

Although perhaps for the want of more delicate wording, this I agree with.

If you say so.

How many girlfriends did you have in your home country?

You're right though - anyone who disagrees with your opinions is a p..ck.

Then again, you might find it hard to believe, but some of us think you're just plain stupid.

Never managed to get a girlfriend in my home country - dam_n, how did you find me out so fast you slickster you?

Now i'll have to wallow in self-pity and go down the karaoke soi to seek solace for my shortcomings.

Well that's not such a bad thing after all and it's all part of, as i previously mentioned, embracing the culture :):D

I think it depends terribly on your stage of life. If you are financially independent, older, don't work, don't want kids etc. then you are free from many stresses. If you are young, have to work, are of an age where having a family is an issue, etc. then your perspective is totally different and I can imagine two people living in the same area, one from each of those groups, having very different opinions.

I think it is easier to say you are contented if you are older and not working with no responsibilities. When you add in complications, such as family and having to think for the next 20+ years, then it is a very different picture.

So to answer the question, I cannot. I think if you are rich enough to be able to do what you want then Thailand is not a bad base. I'm not sure it is the best choice for the uncertainty which will come, has to come, in say the next decade or sooner.

"With all the current uncertainties: poor exchange rates, rising prices, high crime, anti farang centiment, police shakedowns, road chaos, poor service, agressive Thais, constant change in visa regs, uncertainty if you have any rights to your house - even if you bought it in your wifes name, etc. etc. etc. - - - -"

Fortunately, I've had completely different experiences than you, and I'm enjoying my stay in Thailand.

Most of the bad things quoted could be any country in the world.As times goes on i think Thailand will get better not worse,for me anyway.Always remember my first visit to Arenal,Spain and the locals were out with knives, sticks,bats and shouting where are de english bastards.So to answer your question i have totaly different experiences and after 6 years bring on the next 25,i love it here.

You are right as times go on things change. Did you know that Thailands population over 65 years old is about 2%? I have been exposed to Thailand on/off for 36 years. Housing cost is worldwide Asseded price but its vallue is less. My wife(Thai-American) and I were going to retire here and use Thailand as our base to travel the world. Starting with Thailand. There has never been a trip in country that the Thai police has not shaked us and we have gottened tired of that.

We have decided to use the USA as our HQ, simply because we can afford a home and security not to mention civil rights. :)

I'll be working offshore 6 mths on 6 off, and need somewhere to stay for a couple of years so i dont have to pay UK tax, it was going to be LOS, but now im looking into the possibility of Singapore.

Reasons being Thai women arent what theyre cracked up to be, the only ones available to most Farang are whores, freelancers or girls that think i'm going to sponsor their shopping activities so they can look HISO to their peers, and im of an age where i need to think about settling down. I dont wish to be hassled when walking down a street all the time, most of BKK is out of bounds as i cant speak the language so i end up going to the same tourist trap places that are full of undesireables. And as the OP said the undertone of feeling i get that farangs are resented and not wanted here.

Wow, what a poor experience of Thailand you must have had. If you have only been to the tourist traps, I can understand why you might think this, but you are truly wrong.

I totally agree... Some of my best experiences in Thailand have been in the "back streets" of BKK, I have never felt unsafe walking about & have always been treated well by all Thai's. I love finding places far off the beaten track of general "tourist traps"... One of my favorite places to stay in a Village, near Thali Noi in Songkla Province, where "whities" very rarely venture... I will be heading there for my forth visit next week & know I will be welcomed by the villagers (Rice farmers, mostly)... hard working "down to earth" people... My decision to retire & move to Thailand was a result of several trips I had made here.

I have lived on Samui, for about a year now, (19 months in Thailand) in a quiet area, most of my neighbours are Thai & we all get on very well... I help them & they help me... and no I do not "buy" their help! Samui offers a good mix of "East & Western cultures". My first choice was Phengnan, which is a great place for a holiday (except Haad Rin!!!) but too basic & rent much higher by $100 month than what I have on Samui... much better house & landlord here too.

I spend more time with Thai's than the "farangs" who seem to think sitting in the bar all day, is all there is about life... they are really missing out on soooo many great things you can find & do without bar hopping & woman hunting in a bar!...

You meet far more genuine people that way... as with anywhere in the western world...

I am very happy & no plans to leave! I guess life is what you make it... many people on this forum are so negative about Thailand... (I am not sure why they stay!!!) it ain't that bad! ... in fact it's bloody good!

Edited by samuijimmy

I left thailand 4 yrs ago after living there from 1984 to 2005. I saw the good thailand but it has changed so much and the relaxing life style of time past is gone. There is good and bad in every country but Thailand has changed so much that only the people who lived there for a LONG time can attest to this . I have not returned to Thailand since leaving in 2005 and really have no desire to go back. And the Thai government certainly is doing their best to drive tourist and expats away. Had my time in the sun there but no more....thank you.

My life is here in Thailand and I am very happy about that.

Even if I have been here for quite some years I still look at myself as a guest and let the Thai people run their own country. How they do it is not my business. If you treat Thai people with respect you are likely to get the same back.

Those only seeing the bad things are likely to do the same in any other country as well.

Here Here,Thailand is wonderful,great beaches,great pricing and great teachers

Been here 9 years Paradise. A lot are leaving because the UK is catching on they are claiming benefits but living here. Also a few can't afford to be here hard luck, go wherever you wish, leaves more of this beautiful country for me.

I left thailand 4 yrs ago after living there from 1984 to 2005. I saw the good thailand but it has changed so much and the relaxing life style of time past is gone. There is good and bad in every country but Thailand has changed so much that only the people who lived there for a LONG time can attest to this . I have not returned to Thailand since leaving in 2005 and really have no desire to go back. And the Thai government certainly is doing their best to drive tourist and expats away. Had my time in the sun there but no more....thank you.

i'm interested to know why you joined a Thai forum 2 years after you left here and have no intention of coming back...whats so interesting about this forum for you?

No, because I come from UK, with its huge uncertainty regarding the exchange rate, rising prices, high crime, anti Christian white heterosexual sentiment, police shakedowns, road chaos, poor service, aggressive Somalis, no apparent immigration regs at all for the half million or so who get in every year, uncertainty if you have any rights to walking down the street without getting knifed by a bunch of drug-crazed children. Nah, mate. I'd rather be a second class citizen here.

Singapore rocks.... its got all the good things Bangkok has, and none of the shi_t

You need more money for sure, but not THAT much - if you are comparing with the Sukhumvit prices. You can get a reasonable condo on the outskirts for around 15,000 b per month. Normal living, rates, electric, supermarket food is all comparable to Bangkok. Drinking is expensive in Singapore, the food is fantastic!

'm interested to know why you joined a Thai forum 2 years after you left here and have no intention of coming back...whats so interesting about this forum for you?

Thailand/Thais, have the ability to either enchant or wound folks deeply and often permanently. A lot of people on these Thai related forums haven't been here in years and sometimes decades.

:)

I came here 9 years ago, with low money and I open a small business. After all this time, I have 3 good running restaurants, an happy wonderful family and quite everything I need. Said that, I have seen Thailand change a lot (in worst) in the last years. I don't talk about tourisn, business, etc, I talk about the country and the thais.

So, my family and me, have taken the decision to go away and next year we shall go in Bali, to start again.

I don't want to speak here how Bali is better, cheaper, quieter, more friendly, etc. (for me). Just say we don't feel happy anymore in Thailand.

Just my contribute.

So in Thailand, you have 3 successful restaurants, a happy wonderful family and everything you need, yet, you are throwing all in and blaming the country and the Thais?

BALONEY!

You are probably leaving because of your own failures. :)

And that's the same for many others who prefer to blame everyone else rather than themselves for their lack of success here.

I don't throw up everything. Just selling, for a good price, 2 of the 3 restos to have some cash to start a new business and build a new house.

Knowing what is my business, I'm sure the new activities I'll open next year in Bali will be successful.

You are probably leaving because of your own failures.
Which failures you talking of? Come to meet me in KPG and I'll show you those :D

I repeat, after ten years, my family and me, just choose to leave this changing country (and believe me, Koh Phangan people mostly are really changed!)

We are very excited with the new prospective! :D

Not just yet but I am slowly looking at other places, like Malaysia, for when it's time to move on. I can't see myself living here for the rest of my life, but one never knows where the road is going to take him tomorrow, so I suppose it's all up in the air anyway.

Many on here speak about the way farang are looked upon and treated by Thai people.

It is a sad fact that in most cases a Thai persons first real contact with a farang other than the airport, Is a drunken loudmouthed abusive one. That has just fallen out of a bar or off his motorbike.

Unfortunately this has led to farangs being stereotyped, which in my opinion is very sad, I know many farang and i consider them very good people. With the exception of a very small minority.

On the otherhand i also know some of my own country men that i would not pee pee on if they were on fire. Good and bad in all not just farang, and it would be nice if we could all treat each other with the respect that we would like to receive.

Plus of course, the embarrassment of knowing that anyone who marries a Thai woman will be thought of as marrying a hooker!

This image is now ruining my relationship with my Thai girlfriend, thanks to my discriminating parents. It was a disaster since I decided to took her to The Netherlands. I decided to keep it quite, can't fight my parents. I will work a while to get money, and get the heck out of here. Yes, it's nice to have an advanced economy here, but there's no love anymore. It's only greed here. What's life worth if you need 300k euro for a small house to buy, and even need a loan for the freaking car? Work yourself to death until 67 and hopefully " retire " happily. :)