Looking At Buying A Scooter Tomorrow

Hi all this will be my first bike purchase in thailand.

Its only a second hand scooter but just a couple of questions

Its taxed/insured and has green book.

1. Am i ok to use UK D/licence with International DL??

2. how does the insurance work out here,?? am i right in saying the bike is insured and not the person riding it?? so anybody can ride it?

3. is it best to put it in my name or the thai g/f's name? or dont it make any difference? the guy who is selling it said i need to go to the transport office to do the paperwork?? whats that all about?? and where is the one near sukhumvit??

4. whats the actual law regarding helmets??

5. anything else i should be made aware of?? legal wise??

I am sure these questions have been asked b4 but thanks for any quick answers

1 yes ok for a while, try to get a Thai licence if and when possible ( not too difficult )

2 not sure on that.

3 best to put it in your name (if you don't trust her ) ...but easier to put it in her name

you will need to go to the Land transport office and do all sorts of silly hoop jumping to get the name changed in the green book...or you could employ a "runner" who will do it for you for a small ? extra charge.

4 you should wear a helmet the law says so and doing so could save your life.

5 check the chassis and engine number on the bike match the numbers in the green book, that the person selling is the named owner in the green book...if the current owner doesn't want to go to the transport office you will need them to

sign copies of their ID and a "receipt of sale" document ( หนังสือสัญญาซื้อ ) with 2 witness signitures.

good luck !!! :)

Edited by johng

Scooter insurance is very cheap and covers almost nothing. Basic medical for driver (if have lisence and not drunk) and passanger.

Nothing for bike, and be aware NO THIRD PARTY DAMAGE. Whatever you hit, you pay for.

its easy to reg in your name, just bring Certificate of residence and passport. Owner should go with you, and bikes identity is checked by DMV before transfer.

Scooter insurance is very cheap and covers almost nothing. Basic medical for driver (if have lisence and not drunk) and passanger.

Nothing for bike, and be aware NO THIRD PARTY DAMAGE. Whatever you hit, you pay for.

its easy to reg in your name, just bring Certificate of residence and passport. Owner should go with you, and bikes identity is checked by DMV before transfer.

Depending on region they may insist on a long stay visa also.. Many changwats dont, especially the tourist / farang frequented ones.. But a non imm is the law.