Manual Vs Automatic Transmission

Denim

A friend has asked me to check the Thai listings for a clean secondhand Toyota Yaris with manual transmission. Mission impossible it seems. Why have the Thais taken so strongly to Automatics. As far as I know the main advantage is that your left leg gets a rest in traffic. But thats about it. Against this, automatics generaly consume more gas than their manual counterparts, can't be towed any great distance and can't be push started if you accidently flatten the battery. Plus, manual gives you the decision as to when to change gear so if you want to scream through the gears you can. So what is the facination with Automatics ? Kudos ? Face ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend has asked me to check the Thai listings for a clean secondhand Toyota Yaris with manual transmission. Mission impossible it seems. Why have the Thais taken so strongly to Automatics. As far as I know the main advantage is that your left leg gets a rest in traffic. But thats about it. Against this, automatics generaly consume more gas than their manual counterparts, can't be towed any great distance and can't be push started if you accidently flatten the battery. Plus, manual gives you the decision as to when to change gear so if you want to scream through the gears you can. So what is the facination with Automatics ? Kudos ? Face ?

Living in city..certainly BKK...Automatic anywhere else Manual...

Why have Thai taken so strongly to auto's - easier to drive...less thinking... :)

Personally, everytime I have driven an auto, I ways feel less in control of the car for reason

- automatics generaly consume more gas than their manual counterparts,

not anymore

- can't be towed any great distance

People buy cars to drive, not to tow them around, so they might not see the usefulness of manuals for that purpose

- and can't be push started if you accidently flatten the battery.

People don't buy cars to push start them either. I've never seen anyone push starting his car here, only an ad for M-150 or something. Maybe they should buy manuals to enjoy that bonding activity. Are they missing a lot?

- manual gives you the decision as to when to change gear

Why would people need that extra bother? Why not just push gas and let the car decide. Cooks don't ask you when to put salt in your dish either - you just order and they deliver.

Why would people need that extra bother? Why not just push gas and let the car decide. Cooks don't ask you when to put salt in your dish either - you just order and they deliver.

Driving fast, i really need to decide which gear I want. Lets say I m entering a sharp curve at high speed in 3rd gear/5500rpm. Entering the curve I step off the accelerator for a brief moment to create a oversteer (slight rearwheel drift). With auto it would shift to 5 th gear. Exiting the curve I need all the accelerating power available, still in 3 rd gear/5000rpm.

Tiptronic used to do it acceptably, now its paddleshift.

Driving fast, i really need to decide which gear I want. Lets say I m entering a sharp curve at high speed in 3rd gear/5500rpm. Entering the curve I step off the accelerator for a brief moment to create a oversteer (slight rearwheel drift). With auto it would shift to 5 th gear. Exiting the curve I need all the accelerating power available, still in 3 rd gear/5000rpm.

Tiptronic used to do it acceptably, now its paddleshift.

Ok...Micheal Schumacher....think you should put the Play Station down now..... :)

Thais are not racers, they don't care if manual will let them oversteer at 5,500 rpm. In fact they'd be shit scared if that happens.

I really dislike this kind of general description of 60+ million people. If you had said most thais or most drivers, fine.

I v had some fun races with thai drivers :)

really dislike this kind of general description of 60+ million people. If you had said most thais or most drivers, fine.

This thread from the OP down is about generalisations and we all understand that there are exceptions, don't get so worked up about it.

People buy cars to drive, not to tow them around, so they might not see the usefulness of manuals for that purpose

People don't buy cars to push start them either. I've never seen anyone push starting his car here, only an ad for M-150 or something. Maybe they should buy manuals to enjoy that bonding activity. Are they missing a lot?

Ever heard the term......' shit happens '. A friends got a brand new Automatic Honda Jazz but within a week he had accidently flattened the battery ! Had to go out and buy jump leads and get his neighbour to jump him.

I just don't see it as any bother at all changing gear ? Is it really such a huge inconvenience ? Does it take such a huge effort ? I'll make an exception for people who have to drive up and down Sukhumvit though, where you're lucky to get out of second.

Okay I definately prefer manuals, however in the traffic I have become lazy & an Auto car will suffice.

Having said that, I cannot stand those crappy little auto motorcycles & MUST definately have a motorcycle with a clutch & a six speed gearbox.

Generally in company cars automatics have lower mainainance and are in better mechanical condition than manual cars. Probably this shows that manual drivers are the worst drivers. :)

Im going toe to toe with you today Harry. :D

If you were to examine real drivers and compare the art of driving a manual properly & that of the auto driver merely 'moving' the vehicle, you would see that dynamics of driving a motor vehicle has MUCH MUCH MORE to do than merely selecting 'D' for drag and steering the thing.

In answer to the OP's question, I think its just laziness with Thais that make them opt for Auto. I asked a Thai friend and his opinion is that Thai's are very ' mak ngai ' ( ? ) which he explained as doing whatever was easiest. As in when going shopping many prefer to double park right near the stores entrance ( tough shit on whoever has to move the car ) rather than walk an extra 20 yards from the many free spaces at the back of the car park.

In the U.K you have to take a lot of driving lessons before you take a driving test which is not so easy to pass and cannot be passed by bribery. If you pass in an automatic you are only allowed to drive automatics. Consequently , IMO the general standard of driving is a lot better and there are less accidents. Here , autos are popular because they are easier and require less in the skill dept. If they break down....mai pen rai. Doesn't happen often so is not a consideration. I know that my neighbor hasn't even got a jack or a wheel brace in case he gets a puncture ! There's optimism for you. When he did get a puncture he just drove it on the rim for 5k to the nearest garage . :)

Generally in company cars automatics have lower mainainance and are in better mechanical condition than manual cars. Probably this shows that manual drivers are the worst drivers. :)

Im going toe to toe with you today Harry. :D

If you were to examine real drivers and compare the art of driving a manual properly & that of the auto driver merely 'moving' the vehicle, you would see that dynamics of driving a motor vehicle has MUCH MUCH MORE to do than merely selecting 'D' for drag and steering the thing.

Gotta agree with you. There are drivers and then there are those who hold the steering wheel. :D

Ever heard the term......' shit happens '. A friends got a brand new Automatic Honda Jazz but within a week he had accidently flattened the battery ! Had to go out and buy jump leads and get his neighbour to jump him.

Toyotas usually include emergency kits with every car, so no need to go and buy jump leads.

Neighbour, btw, was probably happier to let him start the car off his battery than push that Jazz down the soi himself.

Toyotas usually include emergency kits with every car, so no need to go and buy jump leads.

Neighbour, btw, was probably happier to let him start the car off his battery than push that Jazz down the soi himself.

Emergency kits in Toyota?

I have purchased new last 5 years one Yaris, two Vigo, one Fortuner and one Camry. No emergency kit in any of them, and certanly no jump leads.

automatic transmission - considering being not a car driving maniac, most important is convenience. Left hand is free for other activities.
Well said ,how are we supposed to use the phone/eat/ drink whilst changing gear, oh no, give me an automatic anyday,. :)