Best Deals For Bangkok Hotel Next Weekend

gerryBScot

We are coming into Bangkok for the weekend and looking for a decent hotel for a couple of nights preferably with lifts as the missus is extremely pregnant. I am sure there are many good deals to be had in these difficult times. Sukhumwit/Ploen Chit area preferred. Any suggestions and recommendations welcome. Many thanks

With the pregnancy, your main consideration will be transport and movement, both of which are or perhaps should be limited. I'm also presuming that you will be using public transport.

I often use the Aspen on Suk Soi 2 which you can book here http://www.aspenbangkok.com/ currently at Bt1799 including breakfast which is quite good. Some way down Soi 2 I admit but taxis are always outside, though perhaps sometimes wanting an agreed fare they will usually go for the meter. You're not going to walk to any hotel from a Sky Train with your missus so the distance is not important. Great hotel, good room service and easy access to everywhere in that region. Top TV / DVD entertainment as well. About 18 months old I think.

If that doesn't suit, post up your budget so we have some idea of where to look or recommend.

With the pregnancy, your main consideration will be transport and movement, both of which are or perhaps should be limited. I'm also presuming that you will be using public transport.

I often use the Aspen on Suk Soi 2 which you can book here http://www.aspenbangkok.com/ currently at Bt1799 including breakfast which is quite good. Some way down Soi 2 I admit but taxis are always outside, though perhaps sometimes wanting an agreed fare they will usually go for the meter. You're not going to walk to any hotel from a Sky Train with your missus so the distance is not important. Great hotel, good room service and easy access to everywhere in that region. Top TV / DVD entertainment as well. About 18 months old I think.

If that doesn't suit, post up your budget so we have some idea of where to look or recommend.

Thx looks good will be driving in good to see it has a car park.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey we stayed at the Aspen Suites but the cheap rooms had gone so we paid 2,099 for a bigger room. It was a really nice, cheerful pleasant place. I'd happily recommend it to people. Thanks for the tip

Re Hotels in Sukhumvit.

My latest fave in that area, having spent many nights in the three Dynasty chain hotels around soi 4 (all good value) and slightly more upmarket Majestic Grande (soi 2) and Davis Hotels in the soi low 20s (both now too expensive) and the now hugely overpriced Westin Grande and Sheraton Grande adjoining Asoke BTS, is the Darjelling - no not Darjeeling - on soi 18.

1,600 baht (from memory) well appointed and modern rooms (free wireless and DVD). This includes a simple choice of only 4 breakfasts but they are cooked to order and nicely done . Has a lift. This is a small 20 room boutique hotel with friendly staff. The usual discreteness is shown when needed but this is not the knocking shop that the Dynastys are. Another upside is convenience - 5 mins walk from Asoke BTS and underground although maybe the steps would be too much for pregnant missus, but the torrent of taxis on Sukhumvit are 50 metres from the front door.

Only downsides - no pool (small spa) rooms a tad small and the area is not as 'interesting' as soi 2/4, though soi Cowboy is only 5 minutes walk for those inclined to the bar etc scene. Had to add some downsides as it suddenly occured maybe I won't get in so easily again if I sing its praises too highly.

Funnily enough it is my Thai fiance who still prefers the Dynastys for their chance to gawp at falangs in all their majestic dissolution (been there done that - so not knocking copy!)