Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I believe I can do that in the DoLT next to Morchit BTS station. It's where I got my 1 year and 5 year bike licenses.

I don't know if getting a car license will be a separate card or the same one?

Or if I still need a Cert. of Residence from Immigration as I already possess a 5 year license?

If I can get one of them from Immigration with only my Non-Imm (expired) and Extension of Stay (based on Education) ?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe I can do that in the DoLT next to Morchit BTS station. It's where I got my 1 year and 5 year bike licenses.

I don't know if getting a car license will be a separate card or the same one?

Or if I still need a Cert. of Residence from Immigration as I already possess a 5 year license?

If I can get one of them from Immigration with only my Non-Imm (expired) and Extension of Stay (based on Education) ?

They are two separate licences.

I don't think the visa is the key to the Cert of Res - you still need proof of address and not sure if they will take a 5 year licence with it on if recently issued - I would ring Immigration and check what they will accept?

Don't forget your medical cert. as well.

Is it possible to obtain a Thai 1 year licence with a Tourist Visa?

Yes, if you can state that you have a permanent adress in Thailand.

I got my first one year DL like that.

Tourist Visa and Cert. of Residence from my consulate.

I cant find my driving licence nor intern driving licence. As i have non b and i guess its best way to get new licence. Anyone knows about the procedure at buri ram? Is it true you have to bring your own car? Any phone numver from departmaent of land transport in buri ram?

• 2 weeks later...

OK get this: I went today to Chaeng-Wattana and applied for two residence certificates for my two licences. They charged me THB 400 for the two, approved them and said they'll send them to me within 3 weeks. They did NOT ask for any photos. They did NOT ask for any evidence of my residence at all! (I had my lease ready in my bag but they never asked to see it.) All they asked for was a copy of my passport, the payment, and for me to fill out their form, on which I wrote my address. So indeed, it seems every office (and maybe every officer) is different smile.png

Cheers,

TG

I see that you need to wait for 3 weeks to receive certificate of residence from Immigration. If I go to the Embassy, can I collect it the same day?

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

Does anyone know if there is a time limit from the expiry date of the 1 year license and still being able to use it to apply for the 5 year?

Do you for instance have to apply within say 5 working days of its expiration?

Cheers

Rags

The 1 year license is good for 30 days following it's expiry date. You need to apply for the 5 year license before the end of the 30 days after the 1 year expires.

OK get this: I went today to Chaeng-Wattana and applied for two residence certificates for my two licences. They charged me THB 400 for the two, approved them and said they'll send them to me within 3 weeks. They did NOT ask for any photos. They did NOT ask for any evidence of my residence at all! (I had my lease ready in my bag but they never asked to see it.) All they asked for was a copy of my passport, the payment, and for me to fill out their form, on which I wrote my address. So indeed, it seems every office (and maybe every officer) is different smile.png

Cheers,

TG

I see that you need to wait for 3 weeks to receive certificate of residence from Immigration. If I go to the Embassy, can I collect it the same day?

Normally you should get the certificate from immigration straight away.

The 1 year license is good for 30 days following it's expiry date. You need to apply for the 5 year license before the end of the 30 days after the 1 year expires.

Maybe you should say where you are. In Banglamung (Pattaya City), I upgraded from 1-year to 5-year in late October after my 1-year was expired for almost 2 months.

Hi everyone, I've just renewed from the 1 year to 5 year license and rather than bombarding the forum with all the details, I've share about the experience here http://i3ruceky.com/?page_id=1835 hopefully it helps.

Quick background if it helps to set a scenario, I have a Full South Australian Drivers License and am here on a partner visa where I can't work so I don't have a work permit and I'm based in Bangkok.

I just got my Residence Certificate today; which I submitted the application last Friday, paid the counter lady 500 baht upon collection with no receipt.

With the RC, and the DL from my home country, will I be able to obtain a Thai DL without any issue? What other documents do I need? Do I get it the same day or? How many photos are needed?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my Residence Certificate today; which I submitted the application last Friday, paid the counter lady 500 baht upon collection with no receipt.

Was that in Bangkok, Chaeng Watana?

I just saw that my consulate put the residency letter up to 1,680 baht. From 800b last time I needed one.

I hate going to and dealing with immigration, but this time I think it will be worth it.

With the RC, and the DL from my home country, will I be able to obtain a

Thai DL without any issue? What other documents do I need? Do I get it

the same day or? How many photos are needed?

Take your passport, and a few photos, and a medical cert from a clinic.

I went down to the Ministry of Land Transport at Jatuchak today to renew my 5 year driving licence and was told that I needed proof of address, which I haven't time to do before I return to UK on Tuesday. I had joked by telling her to slow down when she was rushing me to present my passport photocopy, apparently this levity in a the presence of such an important official, she hands out queue numbers, was too much.

I tried a second time with a different woman, while the first was away, but the situation was lost, she supported her colleague, so I had wasted my time. Unlike Immigration there doesn't appear to be a number clearly displayed which one can ring if one needs to speak to a senior officer. I suppose most of the applicants are Thai and they don't complain.

I am now really peed off because I have just Googled the ministry website and found that I need only the old licence and my passport to renew the five year licence. Does anyone know if they are following The rules down there?

I am sixty seven years old and very experienced in dealing with 'precious' bureaucrats having been abroad for some thirty seven of those years, but it is difficult to know what will upset them. I know that these were relatively 'old birds' but not senior to me!

I went down to the Ministry of Land Transport at Jatuchak today to renew my 5 year driving licence and was told that I needed proof of address, which I haven't time to do before I return to UK on Tuesday. I had joked by telling her to slow down when she was rushing me to present my passport photocopy, apparently this levity in a the presence of such an important official, she hands out queue numbers, was too much.

I tried a second time with a different woman, while the first was away, but the situation was lost, she supported her colleague, so I had wasted my time. Unlike Immigration there doesn't appear to be a number clearly displayed which one can ring if one needs to speak to a senior officer. I suppose most of the applicants are Thai and they don't complain.

I am now really peed off because I have just Googled the ministry website and found that I need only the old licence and my passport to renew the five year licence. Does anyone know if they are following The rules down there?

I am sixty seven years old and very experienced in dealing with 'precious' bureaucrats having been abroad for some thirty seven of those years, but it is difficult to know what will upset them. I know that these were relatively 'old birds' but not senior to me!

Errrrm yes you need to prove your address, maybe look on young man google.

Simply bring the required documents, which includes certification of residence or workpermit, and you'll have no problems.

Yes I think that you are right.

I looked at www.dlt.gov.th. and there is no official requirement for an address for temp. First 5 year or subsequent renewals. But then, what is official? anything anyone in authority says I suppose.

Obviously someone decided that proof of address is necessary on the day you apply. I would think that since they need to see a visa it would be accepted that an address is known by officialdom already. But I suppose it shows consistency across all departments of the Civil Service in that Immigration can't coordinate activities within the same building, e.g. the 90 day reporting department is unable to integrate with visa extensions.

Occasionally one is successful and gets an encouraging glimpse of logic only to be frustrated later.

I should have started the process at the end of last month, now I will abandon my attempts to renew before the expiry date and renew when I return in October.

Yes I think that you are right.

I looked at www.dlt.gov.th. and there is no official requirement for an address for temp. First 5 year or subsequent renewals. But then, what is official? anything anyone in authority says I suppose.

Obviously someone decided that proof of address is necessary on the day you apply. I would think that since they need to see a visa it would be accepted that an address is known by officialdom already. But I suppose it shows consistency across all departments of the Civil Service in that Immigration can't coordinate activities within the same building, e.g. the 90 day reporting department is unable to integrate with visa extensions.

Occasionally one is successful and gets an encouraging glimpse of logic only to be frustrated later.

I should have started the process at the end of last month, now I will abandon my attempts to renew before the expiry date and renew when I return in October.

You're better of renewing after expiry date anyway.

But certidicate of residence is a requirement.

I cant find my driving licence nor intern driving licence. As i have non b and i guess its best way to get new licence. Anyone knows about the procedure at buri ram? Is it true you have to bring your own car? Any phone numver from departmaent of land transport in buri ram?

Go to nearest DLT within buri-ram any car as long as it's legal and ask what you need or google phone number and find out what papers you need for that office and you will have to take a test as you have not got your original license.

^ Dealing with Thais is a beautiful experience, isn't it.

Didn't you bring them some fruit or a pink Doreamon keyring or teddybear?

Should I do that just to get in the queue?

Perhaps, but maybe not nowadays.

Next year and thereafter though.... :(

Maybe you should say where you are. In Banglamung (Pattaya City), I upgraded from 1-year to 5-year in late October after my 1-year was expired for almost 2 months.

I upgraded today from a one year to five year at Prakhanong, BKK. My license expired in November 2011

How old are you when they wont re new. and you need to be re tested. Looks like never round here.coffee1.gif

Never heard of re-tests and as for age renewal I guess when you are unable to walk or wheel your wheelchair into your local DLT. laugh.png

me and wf.went to renew our driving licence from 1yr.to 5yrs.once again i was made out to be a fraudulent person.

as the thai's have only got to produce an id.card,i took along my thai.tax id card with my name and address on it,my notification of address at immigration done tues.2april [90days],a letter from tax office with my name and address on it,and the letter from immigration last year which cost 500bht.[land and transport dept.bkk.]say its free,none of these they would except,this was at the licencing dept.next to tesco on mittapap rd.korat,my wf.protested and they then phoned the other place at jo ho and she was told they will not except any of these[proof of address] only a letter from immigration will do the wf said the websight says its free but imm.charges 500bht.i dont know about that she said.

another pissed off farang.t.i.t. taffy in thailand.

me and wf.went to renew our driving licence from 1yr.to 5yrs.once again i was made out to be a fraudulent person.

as the thai's have only got to produce an id.card,i took along my thai.tax id card with my name and address on it,my notification of address at immigration done tues.2april [90days],a letter from tax office with my name and address on it,and the letter from immigration last year which cost 500bht.[land and transport dept.bkk.]say its free,none of these they would except,this was at the licencing dept.next to tesco on mittapap rd.korat,my wf.protested and they then phoned the other place at jo ho and she was told they will not except any of these[proof of address] only a letter from immigration will do the wf said the websight says its free but imm.charges 500bht.i dont know about that she said.

Understand very annoying but comes back to which DLT you deal with, they seemed to have changed quite a few things over the years and different offices making up their own rules.

Still hope you get it sorted and before it comes to renewing your next 5 year license best to get a yellow book.

You come with lots of papers but not with the required paper: recent proof of address from immigration or workpermit.

The only one you should be pissed of at is yourself.

You come with lots of papers but not with the required paper: recent proof of address from immigration or workpermit.

i was at imm.on tues.90day reporting i thought that was to confirm your address,do they actually know that i live there what proof have they[ imm.]have.thai tax id.card confirms my name/add.cheque stub with refund of tax to me.jan.2013.so what you say being charged 500bht.for something that is suposed to be free is ok.

i was at imm.on tues.90day reporting i thought that was to confirm your address,do they actually know that i live there what proof have they[ imm.]have.thai tax id.card confirms my name/add.cheque stub with refund of tax to me.jan.2013.so what you say being charged 500bht.for something that is suposed to be free is ok.

Charging for something that should be free is a different subject.

You came not with the correct papers, so of course they won't/can't help you.