astral

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prachinburi Office 5 Year D/L extension today

Medical Certificate - 50B - 2 minutes at clinic next to Transport Department.

Copy of passport, permission to stay Non-Imm.

Original of Immigration Residence Letter.

Colour, reaction, depth perception test.

1 Hour Instructional video, Thai Soap Opera style road safety.

Change of address costs extra.

Total 655B and 1 hour 45 minutes

1. You have up to a year to change it after that you will get another 1 year license.

Nah, if the temporary license (1 yr) has expired for more than 1 yr you need to do the theory and practical tests. they will still give the full license (5yr).

Can I take (my first) Thai Driver's License test at any DLT in any province in Thailand?

1. You have up to a year to change it after that you will get another 1 year license.

Nah, if the temporary license (1 yr) has expired for more than 1 yr you need to do the theory and practical tests. they will still give the full license (5yr).

Can I take (my first) Thai Driver's License test at any DLT in any province in Thailand?

In my experience, yes. I took the test and exam at Pathum Tani while being BKK resident.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone ever actually pass the peripheral vision test? I fail every time but they still sign off on it and let me get the license. The Thai guys in front of me often seem to fail and get told to wait until the end of the queue for another try.

I passed it, not easy though, and saw plenty of others pass.

I couldn't do the peripheral vision test due to my colorblindness - could tell what side the light was flashing on, but not the colour. Kept saying the colours in Thai, getting them wrong - my favourite was 'see dam' (black). The guy was telling me to speak English, but I continued in Thai until he got bored and passed me.

Same here. Red/green colour blindness is very common in males, so maybe that's why so many people have a hard time with the test. My optician says my peripheral vision is within normal limits, but his test doesn't involve colours.

I also insisted on speaking Thai, hoping the tester would think I was just confused about the Thai words.

This last time they didn't bother with the easy depth-perception test. If they are going to skip a test, I wish it would be the peripheral vision one.

I was refused a letter stating residence by Phibun Immigration Office . They said I would only recieve this letter sfter I had been resident in Thailand for 90 days .

Helping a friend, we hit the same snag. I asked how he is supposed to legally get around town for the next 90 days and the new lady running the office told him to walk. Royal shirts, speaking Thai and lots of small talk didn't help unfortunately. :)

He's getting the embassy document instead.

Edited by ubonrthai

Received my two driving licenses (one year first application) for motorbike and car from Bangkok Land Transport Office near Morchit, and that's what I did:

First, go to immigration at Chaeng Wattana for a residence certificate. You need non-imm visa and at least one 90-day reporting. Bring the receipt for the reporting. Take care the number-girl understands what you want. I got the wrong queue and had to queue again at the correct place.

For 2 licenses you need 2 residence certificates. Each is 100 Baht and they will send it by EMS to your address. Takes about 2 weeks. Bring the standard photo copy set (passport, visa, departure card).

Copy the residence certificate, for each driving license one copy.

Copy the passport set, original driving license from home country, international driving license. One copy set for each Thai license.

Sign all copies.

In the morning, take BTS to Saphan Kwai. Walk on the right side towards north. After the Klong and before Soi 18, there is a small clinic. It looks like a motorbike repair shop, but it is a clinic. I asked at the minimart next door and the lady showed me the clinic.

100 Baht for a "medical certificate". The doctor can speak English. Takes 2 minutes.

Go further north 200m to the land transport office. Building 4, which is about another 200m on the right side. Learn to read the Thai number for "4", as nothing is written in English.

Go to second floor information. But before you queue, make copies of the medical certificate just outside the information office.

After the information lady checked all your papers, she will issue a queue number. If something is missing, she will send you for some more copies and you have to come back again.

The farang counter is 17/18. Not many people waiting there, and the lady can speak English. You get some more papers and have to go upstairs for some simple reaction / color tests.

The tests are easy and nobody fails. I noticed, that yellow looked a bit as light green, that may be only me, but be warned.

After the tests, get another queue number at floor 2 and then go back to counter 17/18. You will receive your licenses a few minutes later. No need to bring photos, as she will do it on the spot.

Costs: 360 Baht for 2 licenses.

If you have no international driving license, you need to have an additional driving test. So it's worth to apply early before your IDL expires.

The whole procedure took me about 1.5 hours. Quite efficient. Just don't come too late, as they have a lunch break from 12-13:00. There is little English spoken, but you can do it without the help of a Thai.

Has anyone changed the old style driving licence, which is on thin red cardboard paper measuring 97 x 64 mm (3-7/8 x 2-1/2 inches) and valid indefinitely, to the new style in credit card size format? I would like to know whether with such change the new licence is again valid without time limitation.

Has anyone changed the old style driving licence, which is on thin red cardboard paper measuring 97 x 64 mm (3-7/8 x 2-1/2 inches) and valid indefinitely, to the new style in credit card size format? I would like to know whether with such change the new licence is again valid without time limitation.

My wife did this, and the new license after conversion of the old unlimited license was 5 years duration.

My wife changed her old almost unreadable paper unlimited validity motorbike licence to a new plastic photo licence at Hang Dong, Chiang Mai, the new one was issued for the same unlimited time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Received my two driving licenses (one year first application) for motorbike and car from Bangkok Land Transport Office near Morchit, and that's what I did:

First, go to immigration at Chaeng Wattana for a residence certificate. You need non-imm visa and at least one 90-day reporting. Bring the receipt for the reporting. Take care the number-girl understands what you want. I got the wrong queue and had to queue again at the correct place.

For 2 licenses you need 2 residence certificates. Each is 100 Baht and they will send it by EMS to your address. Takes about 2 weeks. Bring the standard photo copy set (passport, visa, departure card).

Copy the residence certificate, for each driving license one copy.

Copy the passport set, original driving license from home country, international driving license. One copy set for each Thai license.

Sign all copies.

In the morning, take BTS to Saphan Kwai. Walk on the right side towards north. After the Klong and before Soi 18, there is a small clinic. It looks like a motorbike repair shop, but it is a clinic. I asked at the minimart next door and the lady showed me the clinic.

100 Baht for a "medical certificate". The doctor can speak English. Takes 2 minutes.

Go further north 200m to the land transport office. Building 4, which is about another 200m on the right side. Learn to read the Thai number for "4", as nothing is written in English.

Go to second floor information. But before you queue, make copies of the medical certificate just outside the information office.

After the information lady checked all your papers, she will issue a queue number. If something is missing, she will send you for some more copies and you have to come back again.

The farang counter is 17/18. Not many people waiting there, and the lady can speak English. You get some more papers and have to go upstairs for some simple reaction / color tests.

The tests are easy and nobody fails. I noticed, that yellow looked a bit as light green, that may be only me, but be warned.

After the tests, get another queue number at floor 2 and then go back to counter 17/18. You will receive your licenses a few minutes later. No need to bring photos, as she will do it on the spot.

Costs: 360 Baht for 2 licenses.

If you have no international driving license, you need to have an additional driving test. So it's worth to apply early before your IDL expires.

The whole procedure took me about 1.5 hours. Quite efficient. Just don't come too late, as they have a lunch break from 12-13:00. There is little English spoken, but you can do it without the help of a Thai.

I went this morning in Buriram and needed exactly these documents, so spot on. The green light looked grey to me so I had to ask him to start again. I didn't have to watch the film (I have been driving for 40 years after all) although I signed in as though I had. So I got my license before everyone else. For some strange reason I at last feel that I arrived here, after all the rigmarole of getting an 'O' Visa, getting through the marriage process, getting a visa extension and a confirmation of address from Immigration (you might want to do these two things at the same time, I didn't).

You don't need a translator with you to get through the childish tests, they took me last so they were sure how to do them.

I immediately went for a beer or two before driving home, sorry about that.

There is a rule that you can not have a permanent five year driving license if you are here on Tourist VISA,

wether local rule or not I don't know. Only one year temporary if you here on tourist VISA.

Tourists can't get DL because they have not an address registered with Immigration or their embassy. Tourists generally won't need one anyway.

Edited by cooked

There is a rule that you can not have a permanent five year driving license if you are here on Tourist VISA,

wether local rule or not I don't know. Only one year temporary if you here on tourist VISA.

Tourists can't get DL because they have not an address registered with Immigration or their embassy. Tourists generally won't need one anyway.

They can get a Thai DL, even on 30 day visa exempt entry, just no 5 year DL.

• 3 weeks later...

Had two frustrating visits to Nonthaburi immigration this week, trying to get a residency certificate to get our 1 yr. drivers license converted to 5 year. In Chiang Mai for the 1 year license we just needed a copy of the lease, but this week, Nonthaburi immigration demanded a copy of the homeowner's house registration and a form showing that we lived in that house. We got that after some delay and hassle, and went back to immigration today, only to be told that the rules have changed, and that Nonthaburi immigration no longer will issue any residency certificate, and that we need to get this from our embassy (more painful, and much more $$$ involved, but, oh well). It wasn't clear to us with our limited Thai whether this is a policy of all immigration offices now, or only the one in Nonthaburi.

We stopped by the Land Transportation office in Nonthaburi because we were concerned that our licenses expire this weekend, but the very nice woman at the counter told us two things -- first, she said that we had to EITHER have a work permit, a residency certificate from our embassy, or a letter from Thai police (which the Thai folks in line with us seemed to have, though I'm not sure how one would get such a thing). Apparently with a work permit (which doesn't apply in our case), a residency certificate isn't required. And, she said that we had up to a year from this weekend to get it done, without any problem -- I hope this is correct and that if we get stopped for anything between now and getting it renewed we won't face any trouble, though obviously we'll do this as quickly as we can.

Had two frustrating visits to Nonthaburi immigration this week, trying to get a residency certificate to get our 1 yr. drivers license converted to 5 year. In Chiang Mai for the 1 year license we just needed a copy of the lease, but this week, Nonthaburi immigration demanded a copy of the homeowner's house registration and a form showing that we lived in that house. We got that after some delay and hassle, and went back to immigration today, only to be told that the rules have changed, and that Nonthaburi immigration no longer will issue any residency certificate, and that we need to get this from our embassy (more painful, and much more $$$ involved, but, oh well). It wasn't clear to us with our limited Thai whether this is a policy of all immigration offices now, or only the one in Nonthaburi.

We stopped by the Land Transportation office in Nonthaburi because we were concerned that our licenses expire this weekend, but the very nice woman at the counter told us two things -- first, she said that we had to EITHER have a work permit, a residency certificate from our embassy, or a letter from Thai police (which the Thai folks in line with us seemed to have, though I'm not sure how one would get such a thing). Apparently with a work permit (which doesn't apply in our case), a residency certificate isn't required. And, she said that we had up to a year from this weekend to get it done, without any problem -- I hope this is correct and that if we get stopped for anything between now and getting it renewed we won't face any trouble, though obviously we'll do this as quickly as we can.

Just go to your local police station where you live and ask them to write a letter confirming the address where you live, sometimes they charge and sometimes they don't but give them some tea money anyway 200 baht is usually enough.

• 3 weeks later...

My 5 year licenses (Car & motorcycle) expire in a few months. I no longer live in Thailand, but will be there on holiday around the time the licenses expire. I want to renew both licenses for another 5 years as they are useful for trips back to Thailand and the surrounding countries, and I may move back to Thailand in the semi-distant future. Some questions:

Will all the usual paperwork still be required for a 5 year renewal? Planning to do this at the head office in Mo Chit, Bangkok.

Is a Non-Immigrant visa absolutely necessary? I can obtain one (I'm married to a Thai) but would like to avoid the hassle and expense of course.

For the embassy letter, will the embassy want proof that I live in Thailand?

What is the window of time before/after expiration for renewing the 5 year licenses?

Yes, same paperwork as usual, sometimes a medical is asked for, sometimes not.

Non-imm is required for a 5-year license.

Not sure about embassy letter, as I’ve always use a letter of residence, obtained from immigration.

You can renew about 90 days early to 1 year late. (If you’re a few days late renewing, you will get close to 6 years on your new license.)

Yes, same paperwork as usual, sometimes a medical is asked for, sometimes not.

Non-imm is required for a 5-year license.

Not sure about embassy letter, as I’ve always use a letter of residence, obtained from immigration.

You can renew about 90 days early to 1 year late. (If you’re a few days late renewing, you will get close to 6 years on your new license.)

Thanks. I'll plan a trip to a neighboring country and pick up a Non-O marriage while there. From what I've read on here, I'll have to get the residence letter from my embassy since immigration requires proof that you live in Thailand, which I don't have.

Since you’re married to a Thai, have your wife make copy of the address page of her blue book and the page with her name on it, (the house book). Bring that along with a copy of her Thai id card to immigration, all copies signed by her.

This is good enough in Pattaya to get a letter of residency, but of course it could be more difficult in BKK. Maybe someone from BKK can correct me if this is not possible there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

All you need is:

Your paspport with a Non Inmigrant Visa Class *O* (or similar), no more.

Sandra

Thanks, but that seems too easy. I expected a letter from Immigration confirming address, copies of visa and extension, expired 5 year licence, medical certificate, reaction test, colour test etc?

Hi:

I´m so sorry, I forgot about the Letter from your Embasy showing your address in Thailand (is just a letter that says that you live in a concrete address, nothing special.)

Medical Certificate, NO need anymore, because now, them make all the test in the same office where you make the Licence.

Sandra