Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Hi:

I´m so sorry, I forgot about the Letter from your Embasy showing your address in Thailand (is just a letter that says that you live in a concrete address, nothing special.)

Medical Certificate, NO need anymore, because now, them make all the test in the same office where you make the Licence.

Sandra

Odd? Last two license applications I got a letter from local Immigration Office confirming address. Has it now changed to an Embassy (Consular) letter?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi:

I´m so sorry, I forgot about the Letter from your Embasy showing your address in Thailand (is just a letter that says that you live in a concrete address, nothing special.)

Medical Certificate, NO need anymore, because now, them make all the test in the same office where you make the Licence.

Sandra

Odd? Last two license applications I got a letter from local Immigration Office confirming address. Has it now changed to an Embassy (Consular) letter?

Different letter with the same purpose, both are accepted. Immigration will normally be easier to obtain and cheaper.

I called into the Pranburi Traffic Office today.

To renew a 5 year Thai licence they want:

1. Thai license (expired) . Cannot be renewed on or before the expiry date.

2. Passport with Non -'O' Visa plus latest extension of stay if Retirement or support Thai wife. (Take a signed photocopy - not stated as a requirement but you never know)

3. Work Permit or Yellow Tabien Bahn or letter confirming your current address. Can be from Immigration, Tessabahn or Embassy although how a country Consulate can certify a Thai address as being valid escapes me.

4. You, in person before 0930 weekdays.

Received my two driving licenses (one year first application) for motorbike and car from Bangkok ...

For 2 licenses you need 2 residence certificates. ...

Is it possible that you need 2 original residence certificates for 2 licences (car and motorbike)? Maybe I misunderstand but last year I got my 1 year temporary licences (car and motorbike) at the Land Transport Office near Sukhumvit-Bang Chak. I got them using one residence certificate from the Canadian embassy. To get two would be very expensive (about $50 each) and doesn't seem to make any sense. I'll be going next month to renew for my 5 year licences and I hope I'm not going to need more than one residence certificate. Thoughts?

Cheers

TG

Received my two driving licenses (one year first application) for motorbike and car from Bangkok ...

For 2 licenses you need 2 residence certificates. ...

Is it possible that you need 2 original residence certificates for 2 licences (car and motorbike)? Maybe I misunderstand but last year I got my 1 year temporary licences (car and motorbike) at the Land Transport Office near Sukhumvit-Bang Chak. I got them using one residence certificate from the Canadian embassy. To get two would be very expensive (about $50 each) and doesn't seem to make any sense. I'll be going next month to renew for my 5 year licences and I hope I'm not going to need more than one residence certificate. Thoughts?

Cheers

TG

I wrote this already in another thread. I needed two original certificates of residence (from Thai immigration, Jomtien) for my two licences (Pattaya/Banglamung), upgrading from 1-year to 5-year. You will save 1300 baht per certificate if you get them from Thai immigration. Only 200 bt each. Need a photo for each certificate and one for immigration records.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I called into the Pranburi Traffic Office today.

To renew a 5 year Thai licence they want:

1. Thai license (expired) . Cannot be renewed on or before the expiry date.

2. Passport with Non -'O' Visa plus latest extension of stay if Retirement or support Thai wife. (Take a signed photocopy - not stated as a requirement but you never know)

3. Work Permit or Yellow Tabien Bahn or letter confirming your current address. Can be from Immigration, Tessabahn or Embassy although how a country Consulate can certify a Thai address as being valid escapes me.

4. You, in person before 0930 weekdays.

Good Pranburi DLT update for alien persons.biggrin.png

I will add as it seems forgotten many time when this topic post gets pull up again.

Mostly every DLT in provinces throughout Thailand have different ways of doing things and from time to time also may change requirements.

So if you want to know about licenses renewal say which province you are in and someone maybe able to give a close update.

As for Sukhothai :-

As in Post above No.1.:- The expire date for 5 year licenses are set to your birth date.

In Sukhothai for instance the passport number is not used, you are given a Thai ID number.

As in No.2.:- As stated photocopies are required in Sukhothai DLT for each license of the page with Passport number and picture plus a copy of Non immigrate visa or page of latest extension of stay page if retirement or support Thai wife.

As in No.3.:- Again in Sukhothai for instance a letter from your local police station is acceptable if you do not have any of the others mentioned.

And No.4.:- Always a good idea to take your Thai partner/wife/or friend with you to the local DLT for renewal.

Edited by Kwasaki

Kaoboi, thanks for your response. Did you also need two certificates for your two one-year temporary licences or only for the 5-year licences?

TG

Sorry, I don't remember. That was in Bangkok, the DLT office between Sukhumvit soi's 99 and 101, which is at Bang Chak BTS. It's always worth having extra copies/originals of everything.

You need original documents for each licence application.

As mentioned above, I needed only one original address certificate to get my two one-year licences (car & motorbike) last year at Sukhumvit/Bang Chak, which is why I was surprised to hear some people needed two for the five-year licences. I haven't done 90 day reports (haven't had to, due to travel) and I don't have a work permit or yellow tabien bahn (I'm retired and just have monthly leases) so I'm not sure I could get the certificates at Immigration. There's no way I'm paying the Canadian embassy $50 each for two identical certificates, unless Land Transport insists. It seems to me it really makes no sense. After all, I only have one original passport, and they don't even get to keep it, so why should I bring two original residence certificates? Both applications must go into one file under my name anyway ... or so it seems to me :)

Anyone else have any experience getting both car and motorbike licences with a single residence certificate?

Cheers,

TG

As mentioned above, I needed only one original address certificate to get my two one-year licences (car & motorbike) last year at Sukhumvit/Bang Chak, which is why I was surprised to hear some people needed two for the five-year licences. I haven't done 90 day reports (haven't had to, due to travel) and I don't have a work permit or yellow tabien bahn (I'm retired and just have monthly leases) so I'm not sure I could get the certificates at Immigration. There's no way I'm paying the Canadian embassy $50 each for two identical certificates, unless Land Transport insists. It seems to me it really makes no sense. After all, I only have one original passport, and they don't even get to keep it, so why should I bring two original residence certificates? Both applications must go into one file under my name anyway ... or so it seems to me smile.png

Anyone else have any experience getting both car and motorbike licences with a single residence certificate?

Cheers,

TG

It seems that some points in info are being confused IMO, in answer I take the originals (passport etc) of all required with me and also take photocopies one for each application.

As mentioned above, I needed only one original address certificate to get my two one-year licences (car & motorbike) last year at Sukhumvit/Bang Chak, which is why I was surprised to hear some people needed two for the five-year licences. I haven't done 90 day reports (haven't had to, due to travel) and I don't have a work permit or yellow tabien bahn (I'm retired and just have monthly leases) so I'm not sure I could get the certificates at Immigration. There's no way I'm paying the Canadian embassy $50 each for two identical certificates, unless Land Transport insists. It seems to me it really makes no sense. After all, I only have one original passport, and they don't even get to keep it, so why should I bring two original residence certificates? Both applications must go into one file under my name anyway ... or so it seems to me smile.png

Cheers,

TG

It seems that some points in info are being confused IMO, in answer I take the originals (passport etc) of all required with me and also take photocopies one for each application.

I was talking about the medical & residency documents, originals of both are required by law for each application but obviously some LTD's give little regard to this on occasions.

Cheers,

TG

I was talking about the medical & residency documents, originals of both are required by law for each application but obviously some LTD's give little regard to this on occasions.

Exactly the point I was trying to make before not all DLT's are the same, Sukhothai no medical certificate required and a letter from the local police comfirming address is enough.

As mentioned above, I needed only one original address certificate to get my two one-year licences (car & motorbike) last year at Sukhumvit/Bang Chak, which is why I was surprised to hear some people needed two for the five-year licences. I haven't done 90 day reports (haven't had to, due to travel) and I don't have a work permit or yellow tabien bahn (I'm retired and just have monthly leases) so I'm not sure I could get the certificates at Immigration.

How are you staying in Thailand? If you seek to get a 5-year licence, you need a non-immigrant O or O-A visa. It would be in your passport. Take that and usual photocopies plus proof of residence, like utility or mobile phone bill or lease contract, to immigration. Pay 400 baht for two original certificates of residence. That's only about $13. Unless I missed something above.

There's no way I'm paying the Canadian embassy $50 each for two identical certificates, unless Land Transport insists. It seems to me it really makes no sense. After all, I only have one original passport, and they don't even get to keep it, so why should I bring two original residence certificates? Both applications must go into one file under my name anyway ... or so it seems to me smile.png

The answer is: This is Thailand. E.g., if I mail in my 90-day report, I don't need to send my passport. But if I do it personally or send someone, I need to show my passport.

How are you staying in Thailand? If you seek to get a 5-year licence, you need a non-immigrant O or O-A visa. It would be in your passport. Take that and usual photocopies plus proof of residence, like utility or mobile phone bill or lease contract, to immigration. Pay 400 baht for two original certificates of residence. That's only about $13. Unless I missed something above.

I've got an O-A which I will be extending this week. Thanks for your suggestion - in Bangkok which immigration office would I take those items to in order to get my residence certificates, and how long would you expect it to take? I'll be going to the Bangkok Chaeng-Wattana office tomorrow to get my visa extension so maybe I could do it all in one visit!

TG

Edited by TerraplaneGuy

I've got an O-A which I will be extending this week. Thanks for your suggestion - in Bangkok which immigration office would I take those items to in order to get my residence certificates, and how long would you expect it to take? I'll be going to the Bangkok Chaeng-Wattana office tomorrow to get my visa extension so maybe I could do it all in one visit!

TG

Exactly, do it all in your one visit to Chaeng Wattana. Pick up the extension and certificate of residence request forms at the same time. You will need to photocopy the new extension passport page and other stamp pages before submitting them with your residence certificate request. And remember: you need THREE photos, one for each licence request and one for their records -- like they need more photos!

Exactly, do it all in your one visit to Chaeng Wattana. Pick up the extension and certificate of residence request forms at the same time. You will need to photocopy the new extension passport page and other stamp pages before submitting them with your residence certificate request. And remember: you need THREE photos, one for each licence request and one for their records -- like they need more photos!

Hey Kaoboi, thanks! Will they give me the residence certificates while I wait or do they mail them, or make me come back to pick them up later?

Hey Kaoboi, thanks! Will they give me the residence certificates while I wait or do they mail them, or make me come back to pick them up later?

Someone else who uses Bangkok immigration will have to answer that. In Jomtien, I got the certificates within minutes after the request. Get there at office opening to give yourself the best chance for same-day service.

... And remember: you need THREE photos, one for each licence request and one for their records -- like they need more photos!

Do I need the 3 photos for the application for the residence certificates at Immigration? Or for the applications later at Transport for the licences themselves? And how big do they have to be?

Thanks,

TG

... And remember: you need THREE photos, one for each licence request and one for their records -- like they need more photos!

Do I need the 3 photos for the application for the residence certificates at Immigration? Or for the applications later at Transport for the licences themselves? And how big do they have to be?

Thanks,

TG

Photos for the residence certificates. Size, standard Thai visa size. All photo shops know this stuff.

OK get this: I went today to Chaeng-Wattana and applied for two residence certificates for my two licences. They charged me THB 400 for the two, approved them and said they'll send them to me within 3 weeks. They did NOT ask for any photos. They did NOT ask for any evidence of my residence at all! (I had my lease ready in my bag but they never asked to see it.) All they asked for was a copy of my passport, the payment, and for me to fill out their form, on which I wrote my address. So indeed, it seems every office (and maybe every officer) is different :)

Cheers,

TG

OK get this: I went today to Chaeng-Wattana and applied for two residence certificates for my two licences. They charged me THB 400 for the two, approved them and said they'll send them to me within 3 weeks. They did NOT ask for any photos. They did NOT ask for any evidence of my residence at all! (I had my lease ready in my bag but they never asked to see it.) All they asked for was a copy of my passport, the payment, and for me to fill out their form, on which I wrote my address. So indeed, it seems every office (and maybe every officer) is different smile.png

Cheers,

TG

You must devastatingly beautiful one way or the other.laugh.pngbiggrin.png

OK get this: I went today to Chaeng-Wattana and applied for two residence certificates for my two licences. They charged me THB 400 for the two, approved them and said they'll send them to me within 3 weeks. They did NOT ask for any photos. They did NOT ask for any evidence of my residence at all! (I had my lease ready in my bag but they never asked to see it.) All they asked for was a copy of my passport, the payment, and for me to fill out their form, on which I wrote my address. So indeed, it seems every office (and maybe every officer) is different smile.png

Cheers,

TG

Amazing Thailand! So you're going to get two certificates each with a blank photo insert. Hope that works at the DLT. Of course, DLT takes its own photos for the licences. Please update us in a few weeks with your Bangkok DLT experience.

I will definitely update the group but it won't be until the end of February when I go for my licences. I'm hoping I can stick the photos on the certificates at Transport. I'm not sure I looked devastatingly beautiful at Immigration today (although I'd like to think so - anyway I shaved and wore a clean white shirt). The officers did not ask for my phone number, if that's any indication. Yes there were two, a male and female (possibly the male was a trainee; the woman was the one in the uniform). Neither asked for photos or confirmation of address. For all they know I could be living in Milwaukee.

Cheers,

TG

Exactly the same happened to me. I told them I wanted both licences but I only had to fill in 1 form, cost 200B. See what happens when I get letter and apply for licences whistling.gif wink.png

I have a 5 year Thai Motorbike License.

I have an old Non-Imm O multi-entry Visa based on Marriage. It is currently Extended based on Education. I live in Bangkok.

I want to rent out a car so want to get a Car license.

How do I go about getting a separate Car License?

Can I get a Cert. of Residence from Chaeng Wattana using my 6 month Extension based on Education and my wife's Rental Contract?

With that is it just a case of going to the local DoLT and can do the tests and get a separate Car License?

I have a 5 year Thai Motorbike License.

I have an old Non-Imm O multi-entry Visa based on Marriage. It is currently Extended based on Education. I live in Bangkok.

I want to rent out a car so want to get a Car license.

How do I go about getting a separate Car License?

Can I get a Cert. of Residence from Chaeng Wattana using my 6 month Extension based on Education and my wife's Rental Contract?

With that is it just a case of going to the local DoLT and can do the tests and get a separate Car License?

Personally I would go to your local DLT if no one comes on from where you are and just ask them what there requirements are.

There is a place in Bangkok where your can do a test & get your license all in one day if I remember correctly maybe someone will come on with the Telephone No. & address, maybe a search will bring it up.