Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Just an afterthought. I have a Retirement Visa so I am thinking that as far as re newing a DL is concerned reading Non Immigrant Visa and Retirement Visa that the requirements are the same?

Yes no difference.

The list posted in post 1034 is all you need.

You take a color test is all ( red,yellow,green lights )

Not reaction test & no training course

Now I am confused I did not realize I needed to get another medical certificate, I thought it was for the 1 year only and then every 5 years once you are on the 5 year term.

Depends on the DLT you go to, they all have there own way of running things. facepalm.gif

OK will check it out locally see what they require, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I begin to think that most other things here, each office seems to have its own rules. In an earlier post I seem to remember it being stated that the licence must have expired before you can apply for the 5 year one. This week I have been shown a "5" year driving licence and the dates on the card are for 5 1/2 years.

Learn something new every day, unless you in the education system then thats another question.

• 2 weeks later...

This week I have been shown a "5" year driving licence and the dates on the card are for 5 1/2 years.

Learn something new every day, unless you in the education system then thats another question.

That is totally normal. Your one year license is valid one year from when you get it. Five year license is normalised to your birthday so any difference between date of expiry of one year license and your birthday is given as 'extra' time on your FIRST five year license. My first five year was five years + ten months.

This week I have been shown a "5" year driving licence and the dates on the card are for 5 1/2 years.

That is totally normal. Your one year license is valid one year from when you get it. Five year license is normalised to your birthday so any difference between date of expiry of one year license and your birthday is given as 'extra' time on your FIRST five year license. My first five year was five years + ten months.

And on your consecutive licenses as well, just renew after your birthday and you get almost 6 years.

And on your consecutive licenses as well, just renew after your birthday and you get almost 6 years.

Dam. I got my second five year in June and went on my b-day... If I waited a week I coulda had six! Thanks for the info SL.

Dam. I got my second five year in June and went on my b-day... If I waited a week I coulda had six! Thanks for the info SL.

Well in Suk on the second 5 year license you get 5 years they keep it birthday to birthday date and give you a Thai ID number there is no passport number on the new license.

I went to renew my 5-year licence today. After much messing around, I came back with a one-year licence because that is all they would give me as I am currently on a tourist visa. This was Sri Racha.

Perhaps I could have tried a different office and maybe got a better result.

I went to renew my 5-year licence today. After much messing around, I came back with a one-year licence because that is all they would give me as I am currently on a tourist visa. This was Sri Racha.

Yes, could be, but they are right. Tourist visa gives 1 year (temporary) license officially.

Yes, could be, but they are right. Tourist visa gives 1 year (temporary) license officially.

I have tried everything at Pattaya DLC to get a 5 year on the last two years renewals but no dice as I only ever have a visa waiver. Seems like the only thing they are really strict on.

I begin to think that most other things here, each office seems to have its own rules. In an earlier post I seem to remember it being stated that the licence must have expired before you can apply for the 5 year one. This week I have been shown a "5" year driving licence and the dates on the card are for 5 1/2 years.

I renewed my license yesterday, three days before its expiration. I have the temporary 1 year license, and I received the 5 year license. I was told to keep my current license with me until it expires, as the new license does not go into effect until the day after that.

I did not have to take the reaction or the color blind test this time, although I did have to take the color blind test when I received my medical certificate.

I submitted my forms and copies, and was out with the new license in less than 20 minutes.

I believe you are correct that different offices have different sets of rules. I also was under the impression that the license had to expire before you could renew, but decided to stop in early because I would be in the area.

Hi there stevenl ... mate, we talked about this before on another thread ... but last year I went to apply for a 1 year license on a tourist Visa and was flatly denied by the Samat Prakan Immigration.

May I ask ... did they get wrong or does rules interpretation vary so much from office to office.

The Samat Prakan licensing centre didn't care ... as long as I had the paper from Immigration ... fine by them what visa I had.

Hi there stevenl ... mate, we talked about this before on another thread ... but last year I went to apply for a 1 year license on a tourist Visa and was flatly denied by the Samat Prakan Immigration.

May I ask ... did they get wrong or does rules interpretation vary so much from office to office.

The Samat Prakan licensing centre didn't care ... as long as I had the paper from Immigration ... fine by them what visa I had.

If tourist visa, so not visa exempt entry, they did get it wrong.

Thanks mate ... thumbsup.gif

Samat Prakan Immigration Office ... dry.png

I'm penning another question ... so stick around please ... rolleyes.gif

Following on from above ... gentlemen, I need some help.

I have a duel entry Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa ... used with the first entry 3 weeks ago.

Not married ... no kids.

International Drivers License for both car and bike.

I don't 'report' anywhere.

I'm not on any Blue, Yellow or Pink books for that matter ... I'm staying at the gf's Farm in the Samat Prakan area. (just outside Bangkok)

I'd like to get the 1 year Thai Drivers license for both Car and Bike.

I just got the gf to telephone the Samat Prakan Immigration Office to ask what is required to get my residency letter.

She can back all confused because the Samat Prakan Immigration Office office said I needed a work permit. Obviously wrong ... but maybe I asked for the wrong thing.

I have read back through the advices on some of the preceding pages ... but most talk is about the 5 year license ... and everyone's situation/office/dealing officer/interpretation seems to be different.

So documents do I need?

I'll start with what I've read and then please add ...

Documents for car & motorcycle licenses:

* 2 copies photo page of passport

* 2 copies Non-O visa & entry stamp

* 2 copies departure card

* Original & 2 copies of International Drivers Permit

* Medical Certificate ... ???

What do I ask for at the Samat Prakan Immigration?

Can anyone write that document in the Thai script?

What do I need to take to Samat Prakan Immigration for them to provide me with the required document?

Any other tips?

Replies will be warmly appreciated ...

Thanks ...

Thanks mate ... thumbsup.gif

Samat Prakan Immigration Office ... dry.png

I'm penning another question ... so stick around please ... rolleyes.gif

The immigration office should just hand over the form, and leave the decision on the license to the licensing office.

Form TM 18. Requirements vary, sometimes they want rental contract, sometimes rental contract plus house papers plus ID card owner, sometimes they'll settle for electricity or water bill. See here for download of the correct form, on immigration website when you click on TM18 you get TM20.

The remark 'workpermit is needed' probably means you're on the right track, since if you have a workpermit (or yellow housebook) you don't need tm18.

Edited by stevenl

Thanks for the info ... but I have to probe deeper.

I have none of the above.

I have no work permit ... I have, instead a Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa.

I have no rental contract or house papers, ID card owner, electricity or water bill.

I'm staying at the gf's Parents Farm.

What are my options?

Sorry to be a PIA

Thanks for the info ... but I have to probe deeper.

I have none of the above.

I have no work permit ... I have, instead a Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa.

I have no rental contract or house papers, ID card owner, electricity or water bill.

I'm staying at the gf's Parents Farm.

What are my options?

Sorry to be a PIA

Your be OK just get your arse down to your nearest DLT and get your licenses.

I have answered your PM.

K.

Is it enough with a tourist visa to apply for a Thai drivers license or do you need a non immigrant visa?

Tourist visa can theoretically get the temporary one-year driving licence.

You really should have read this thread as it is all in here but, in summary, with a tourist visa, Immigration Office may decline to give you a residence certificate (หนังสือรับรองการตรวจสอบที่พำนักอาศัย) or Land Transport Office may decline to issue a licence due to local decisions or unfamiliarity with the situation.

Is it enough with a tourist visa to apply for a Thai drivers license or do you need a non immigrant visa?

I think you're located in Pattaya, if so then there is no problem acquiring a residence certificate nor a one year temporary license on a tourist visa. Other immigration offices/LTOs might have stricter rules.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is 100% the right place to ask this, but I feel guilty starting a new thread for it...

I have a motorcycle (I know i know wrong forum) and a 1 yr temp motorcycle license here, and when I bought the bike and got my license I used my work permit as the address confirmation thing. But I'm going to be done working soon, the work permit will be taken away, and then I'll, by paper, be a tourist...

What happens if I try and renew my license or sell my bike? They'll need a copy, right? But will they know it's revoked/will it still be valid for those purposes? Could I get away with it and hope they don't notice, esp. if the expiry date on the WP is still in the future?

I'm not sure if this is 100% the right place to ask this, but I feel guilty starting a new thread for it...

I have a motorcycle (I know i know wrong forum) and a 1 yr temp motorcycle license here, and when I bought the bike and got my license I used my work permit as the address confirmation thing. But I'm going to be done working soon, the work permit will be taken away, and then I'll, by paper, be a tourist...

What happens if I try and renew my license or sell my bike? They'll need a copy, right? But will they know it's revoked/will it still be valid for those purposes? Could I get away with it and hope they don't notice, esp. if the expiry date on the WP is still in the future?

My first question to you would be how long are you going to be a tourist for, and are you planning to stay in Thailand or what ???

My first question to you would be how long are you going to be a tourist for, and are you planning to stay in Thailand or what ???

Hard to tell, I'm gonna bum around for a bit, and there are a couple of job opps here for me but I might move elsewhere. I guess what I'd like to address is worst-case scenario, ie. me here on a 60-day tourist visa, and not going to stay, thus needing to sell the bike without WP.