astral

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi

does anyone have the exact address of the office where i can get my thai driving license? i know there's one in Mor Chit and one in Sukhumvit....is there any near Siam?

May I know the exact name of the place and their address?

Thank you.

hi

does anyone have the exact address of the office where i can get my thai driving license? i know there's one in Mor Chit and one in Sukhumvit....is there any near Siam?

May I know the exact name of the place and their address?

Thank you.

You can find the BKK addresses in the attached link:

http://driving.information.in.th/thai-dmv.html

That book will do it for you. :)
What book is that, doctor? :D

The Yellow House Registration Book. :D

Am getting confused here with whats needed for the 1 year licence can anyone explain what I need i'll explain my circumstances

I have a Non O visa

No work permit

I have a blue Tabian baan book for my condo-s

I got the doctors cetrificate to say Im sane etc

I need copies of visa 2 and passport and photos etc

I need to prove my address at the condos either via local amphur as said above , Immigration 3-6-week wait or British Embassy (same day) 1500 baht

I only have a BLUE Tabian baan book and I see "yellow" mentioned is blue ok?

Anything else..............inside leg measurement??? :D

Thanks In advance

I just went to try to get my license today at the Sukhumvit branch and failed the peripheral vision test as I am basically red-green colorblind.

Does anybody have any tips to pass this test? Is there a way around this? Are there any testing centers that don't have this test?

I just went to try to get my license today at the Sukhumvit branch and failed the peripheral vision test as I am basically red-green colorblind.

Does anybody have any tips to pass this test? Is there a way around this? Are there any testing centers that don't have this test?

Sorry I can't reply your question, but about Sukhumvit Branch was it crowded ? Long queue ?

And is there anybody who can confirm that it's possible to pass the test in Bangkok with a certificate of residence from embassy ? Or need the one from immigration ?

Thanks.

Edited by frenchFARANGbkk

Sorry I can't reply your question, but about Sukhumvit Branch was it crowded ? Long queue ?

And is there anybody who can confirm that it's possible to pass the test in Bangkok with a certificate of residence from embassy ? Or need the one from immigration ?

Thanks.

It was pretty crowded, I was #116 in the queue.

When I got my five year I was told no office in Bangkok will accept the Immigration Dept. letter any more. They require the affadavit of residence certified by your embassy if available. A work permit can be used instead if you have one. Chonburi will accept the Immigration letter because the Embassy is too inconvenient for Chonburi residents.

Thanks.

It was pretty crowded, I was #116 in the queue.

That book will do it for you. :)
What book is that, doctor? :D

The Yellow House Registration Book. :D

I only have a BLUE Tabian baan book and I see "yellow" mentioned is blue ok?

Would need to dig mine out to check for sure but if I remember correctly the blue one does not have your name in it as part of the purpose of the blue book is to register the land in the blue book owners name which (as a foreigner) you could not own. Therefore, without your name in it, the blue book could not be used as proof of residence.

A yellow book is pretty much a copy of the blue one but it can have your name in it as it is certifying you live there, not that the land is in your name.

That is the difference as I understand it, but I welcome any corrections.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Scottish Thailander

I failed mine too but got my license.

When I failed, nothing was written on my sheet.

Nothing was done.

So I just pretended that I passed and not one said anything down the line

as no one knew what happened.

No joke.

I just stonewalled it and it was never an issue for the lady printing the license.

Dont know it this will work for you but try it if you can.

Another way is to just not take the test.

Slowly get out of line and wander.

Maybe get back in line for the other tests in that section.

I bet no one will know or care.

JFYI

Good luck

Edited by paulfr

Nothing was done.

No joke.

I just stonewalled it and it was never an issue for the lady printing the license.

JFYI

Good luck

Which branch did you manage to pull that one off at? Was it busy at the time?

That may save me loads of time and money.

I just got my Thai driving licence today.

Some changes as compared to what was posted on the website.

1) I didn't have to fill up any form/s

2) The officer took the photo for me (even though i brought my own), she said it's new policy coz they'll take the photo and put directly into the card when they print it

3) The 3D test isn't as difficult as it sounds, because all the officers there were in a very "sabai sabai" mood, the needles didnt have to be exactly aligned coz i'm quite sure mine wasn't exactly aligned.

4) There's an extra test where u put ur nose on a "plate" and there'll be 2 colored spots on the left and right near your eyes. The officer will change the color of the spot and ask you what color is that. I nearly died on this one coz the officer couldn't understand my english, finally i used Thai to say the colors.

5) After 4 tests I got my licence!

Hope this will be useful for others who intend to get a Thai licence.

Nothing was done.

No joke.

JFYI

Good luck

Which branch did you manage to pull that one off at? Was it busy at the time?

That may save me loads of time and money.

Sukhumvit Soi99 branch

It was very crowded that day but I think any day after 10am will be so.

Thais are not thorough.

I think you can do it too.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

A recent report (April 2009) says that documents required for first application are:

Original passport + 2 copies of visa page and main page;

Medical report (any doctor can supply)

Address confirmation from immigration + 1 copy;

Current International Driving Permit

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, another colour test, after that payment and making pictures.

For renewal

1. Expired drivers licenses.

2) A colour test & reaction test on computer is now required for renewal.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

Updated 5th May 2009

This post was updated just last month so I assume it is current and correct. It does not mention an Embassy letter confirming your address for the 5 year license. Sure hope not, I hate the trip to the U.S. Embassy in BKK. Has anybody been refused a 5 year d.l. due to not having a new address confirmation letter? My one year license will be expiring soon. Also, has anybody been refused a license due to eye test problems? My color vision is lousy, as is my depth perception. I had a difficult time when applying before, but managed to satisfy a cooperative examiner in Lopburi somehow.

I did my 5 year license about 10 months ago in Nong Chok. The embassy letter was required. You can use a work permit in lieu of the Embassy letter. At the time I did not have my work permit yet. Also, I was told by several offices in Bangkok that they do not accept Immigration letter as verification of address (Chonburi still will take). They will only accept the Embassy letter or a valid work permit.

What you need is:

A recent report (April 2009) says that documents required for first application are:

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, another colour test, after that payment and making pictures.

For renewal

in you own vehicle.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

Updated 5th May 2009

This post was updated just last month so I assume it is current and correct. It does not mention an Embassy letter confirming your address for the 5 year license. Sure hope not, I hate the trip to the U.S. Embassy in BKK. Has anybody been refused a 5 year d.l. due to not having a new address confirmation letter? My one year license will be expiring soon. Also, has anybody been refused a license due to eye test problems? My color vision is lousy, as is my depth perception. I had a difficult time when applying before, but managed to satisfy a cooperative examiner in Lopburi somehow.

Just got my 5-year Thai Driving License today (Monday 22nd June 2009); the information on this thread was very accurate and I thought I'd post my experience to help others in similar fashion.

My 1-year temporary Thai Driving License expired last Friday; I took a photocopy of my passport (including the visa page) work permit, expired Thai License, certificate of good health and the fee of 605baht. I was issued with a 5 year photo-card style Thai Driving License within an hour of arriving at the Sukumvit office.

In case anyone is unsure, as I was; getting a 5-year Thai Driving License requires no further tests.

My only advice is that both the 1-year and 5-year licenses are covered in a cheap holographic film which quite easily comes off and partially removes the underlying ink. I would advise people to get their licenses laminated at the test centre for only 20baht after they receive them.

The funniest aspect of the process was getting the health certificate before-hand at a local Thai clinic. Only 50baht. Although I had read about how inept and basic these 'health-checks' are and had been asked to get them before - nothing prepared me for the audaciously incompetent Thai 'Doctor' who examined me today. It was like he knew he had to be pathetic and was exaggerating a pre-rehearsed part: I was ushered in and sat down; "You ever have problem?" said the doctor vaguely, stethoscope already in his ears. "How long stay Thailand?" he scowled at the answer before checking inside my mouth with a LED key-chain torch from a good two-feet distance away. "You come from?" he demanded; then after a long pause, he blurted out "Mel Gib-sum" while jamming the stethoscope into my shoulder (?) and knee (?) and dismissing me outside. I just started laughing uncontrollably.

Just got my 5-year Thai Driving License today (Monday 22nd June 2009); the information on this thread was very accurate and I thought I'd post my experience to help others in similar fashion.

My 1-year temporary Thai Driving License expired last Friday; I took a photocopy of my passport (including the visa page) work permit, expired Thai License, certificate of good health and the fee of 605baht. I was issued with a 5 year photo-card style Thai Driving License within an hour of arriving at the Sukumvit office.

In case anyone is unsure, as I was; getting a 5-year Thai Driving License requires no further tests.

My only advice is that both the 1-year and 5-year licenses are covered in a cheap holographic film which quite easily comes off and partially removes the underlying ink. I would advise people to get their licenses laminated at the test centre for only 20baht after they receive them.

The funniest aspect of the process was getting the health certificate before-hand at a local Thai clinic. Only 50baht. Although I had read about how inept and basic these 'health-checks' are and had been asked to get them before - nothing prepared me for the audaciously incompetent Thai 'Doctor' who examined me today. It was like he knew he had to be pathetic and was exaggerating a pre-rehearsed part: I was ushered in and sat down; "You ever have problem?" said the doctor vaguely, stethoscope already in his ears. "How long stay Thailand?" he scowled at the answer before checking inside my mouth with a LED key-chain torch from a good two-feet distance away. "You come from?" he demanded; then after a long pause, he blurted out "Mel Gib-sum" while jamming the stethoscope into my shoulder (?) and knee (?) and dismissing me outside. I just started laughing uncontrollably.

Congrats !

The reports seem to indicate that there is no tests required when going from 1 year licence to 5 year licence as your experience confirms.

However several reports state that you need to take the tests again and watch some road safety video at BKK Sukhumvit office when you renew your 5 year licence to new 5 year licence. You know for sure after 5 years but you also could expect changes for the process before that :)

Would need to dig mine out to check for sure but if I remember correctly the blue one does not have your name in it as part of the purpose of the blue book is to register the land in the blue book owners name which (as a foreigner) you could not own. Therefore, without your name in it, the blue book could not be used as proof of residence.

A yellow book is pretty much a copy of the blue one but it can have your name in it as it is certifying you live there, not that the land is in your name.

That is the difference as I understand it, but I welcome any corrections.

Hope this helps.

Thanks yes there is no name in the blue book currently but apparently I will get my name in a yellow book here tomorrow (own several properties) if then my name goes in the YELLOW book do I then need a letter from the Embassy stating my address or not or will they accept the yellow book as proof i live there?

It is just an affadavit that shows where you live in Thailand. If you are a USA citizen you complete the form yourself and an Consular Officer asks you if you swear under penalty of perjury that the information on the form is true. If you answer yes they sign it and stamp the official Embassy stamp on it. It in reality means nothing but Thailand loves stuff stamped for your home country Embassy. For USA citizens it is currently 1,030 baht. For UK citizens I think it is around 2,300 baht from the UK Embassy.

I see in the first post it says "adress confirmation letter" from Embassy is required.

Is this confirmation of "address" or of "residency" as I am not resident but visit every year for 6 months.?

It is just an affadavit that shows where you live in Thailand. If you are a USA citizen you complete the form yourself and an Consular Officer asks you if you swear under penalty of perjury that the information on the form is true. If you answer yes they sign it and stamp the official Embassy stamp on it. It in reality means nothing but Thailand loves stuff stamped for your home country Embassy. For USA citizens it is currently 1,030 baht. For UK citizens I think it is around 2,300 baht from the UK Embassy.
I see in the first post it says "adress confirmation letter" from Embassy is required.

Is this confirmation of "address" or of "residency" as I am not resident but visit every year for 6 months.?

Might have guessed the good ole Uk embassy would be raving expensive!! So having your name in the Yellow book is no good for proof of address then when applying for a 1 year licence?

5yr to 5yr renewal, Samut Prakan

Needed:

Passport (copies of photo and last stamp pages)

Work permit (copies of photo and address pages)

old licence

(NO medical certificate required)

Arrived before 8am, already a lot of people there but there are staff at Samut Prakan at that time checking your documents.

09.00 video session (Samut Prakan has sessions at 9.00, 10.00, 11.00 and 13.30 - but I think the first two sessions were filled with people who got queue numbers before 8.30.

They were a little behind time so we didn't quite get to the end of the video.

Can someone tell me if Nong Shogun walks again or is he confined to a wheelchair for life?

10.00 downstairs for the 4 tests (had to wait nearly 30 minutes for another group to finish).

Test 1 - tester points to colours on the chart, you shout them out.

Test 2 - peripheral vision test

Test 3 - brake reaction, hit the brake pedal on the red light

Test 4 - depth perception

11.00 upstairs to pay, photo taken and receive licence

11.15 finished

I just did the 1 year in May this year (2009).

You don't need a letter from your embassy IF you have a work permit. You don't need any photos at Jatujak (mor chit) - they take your photo there on a digital camera and the new driving licences are very spanky - looks better than my British one and not at all like a Khao San road job. 100 baht for the licence (1 year) and 105 baht for the photo service.

You need copies of: work permit, passport, and home country driving licence (if you're a brit like me this counts as an IDP because its also a Euro licence). You also need a medical certificate (original) which will cost you about 100 baht.

Go to building 4 at the Land department opposite the BTS station at Jatujak. Or get off the subway, its signposted. Go to the second floor info desk. She'll send you round the corner to desk 17 for the foreigners. You'll do some form-filling then they'll send you to the 3rd floor to do the eye tests which are great fun! If there's a lot of people it can get a bit chaotic, but the staff (unlike other officals I've come across in Thailand) are pretty nice and friendly so long as you don't act like a <deleted> (when I went, there was some obnoxious european trying to complain in thai to the woman at the info desk...he was giving her all sorts of shit because HE didn't have the right docs - you got the impression he thought just cos he could speak in thai he could be a <deleted>. Result? She told him to bugger off and come back another day with the right papers. Ha bleeding ha!! สมนำหน้า)

After the eye test, go back to the info desk on the 2nd floor. Show her the form the eye test people gave you. She'll send you round to desk 17 again, they'll take your digital photo, take your money then give you a flash little driving licence card.

Depending on the queues, you could do it within 30 mins to 2 hours. Afternoons seem to have the shorter queues.

Good luck!

Edited by SoftWater

What you need is:

For renewal

in you own vehicle.

Updated 5th May 2009

If you have your name in a yellow tabien baan you dont need the letter form your embassy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

I'm going to get my first (1-year) Thai driving license on a Non-ED visa (no work permit).

Does anyone know, if they accept letters from Immigration certifying the address in Pattaya?

Or I need to go to the embassy in Bangkok first?

Just renewed my 5 year license in Pattaya as follows

Got there about 11.15am and went to the desk outside to get the application form and let them check my documents.

After photocopying every page in my W/Permit and a couple of pages in my Passport she gave me a number

and told me to go upstairs at 1.00pm. (No medical Cert req'd)

There was probably about 100 people milling about doing the same.

1.00pm and I am waiting for my number to be called, eventually at 1.30pm I was called to pay the money (605 baht) and then told to wait again "You sit Down"

After about 30mins I was called to do the colour test, red. green or yellow, then on to the reaction test. I passed these tests and was then told to sit down for TRAINING 1 hour. I was given a Highway code book and was told to read it for 1 hour! Yes, 3pm I was called again for my Picture to be taken and at 3.30pm I walked out of the building holding my new License. I don't know why but my license was extended for 6 years. Expiry date July 2015. Total time 4hrs 15mins

My advice:Get their 8.00am and be one of the first to be processed