Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Can someone please advise me, i read very early on in this thread that someone managed to get both a Car Licence and a Motorcycle Licence by showing there UK full Drivers Licence, but this was 3 years ago.

I plan on going for my Thai Drivers Licence in a couple of days, I have all of my paperwork ready, so if anyone know if I can qualify for both while I am there without taking the test, Just the color and eye test,, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance guys. Pattaya_girl. 10th November, 2009.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those living in the Pattaya/Banglamung area - Verification Traffic Centre near Regents School, this has been my experience.

I obtained my One Year Temporary licences a year ago - Car & M/cycle same day. I had to do the colour, depth perception and reflex tests, but no driving whatsoever was involved. I don't recall if I also showed my UK licence, which is for car and m/bike as it happens, but I wasn't aware that anyone was taking a practical test.

My licences being up for renewal, I read a list of Docs Required on here, but it dates from 2006 and is incorrect.

I went 2 days before expiry - cannot - have to go back on the day of expiry - don't know what happens if you go after expiry.

Documents Required:-

Their form completed - one for each licence.

A Residence Certificate from Immigration - same as for buying car/motorbike but tick licence. They said only one required plus copy but Immigration say I must have two = more money.

Copies of Passport picture page, visa page, extension page and re-entry permit plus re-entry - same as I just did to get the Residence Certificate.

Medical Certificate - This involves the doctor asking whether I have any diseases, me saying no and her signing two forms. Transport said one plus copy OK but doctor said must have two = more money.

Passport obviously.

Money.

Thanks for your reply. It is strange you never took any actual driving tests if you did not show your UK drivers Licence, and you was issued with both Licences for Car and Motorcycle.............

I have now got all of my papers together what I need, just have to go to Immigration at Jomtien for the Residency letter...... I know I will get the Licence for the Car no problem, but was just wondeirng if my Full UK Licence will allow me to get one for a Motorcycle as well, without actualy having to be tested on a motorcycle, I was under the impression that the UK Licence was OK for Motorcycles under a certain CC.

Nevertheless, I will report back on Thursday with my outcome - cheers.

Thanks for your reply. It is strange you never took any actual driving tests if you did not show your UK drivers Licence, and you was issued with both Licences for Car and Motorcycle.............

I have now got all of my papers together what I need, just have to go to Immigration at Jomtien for the Residency letter...... I know I will get the Licence for the Car no problem, but was just wondeirng if my Full UK Licence will allow me to get one for a Motorcycle as well, without actualy having to be tested on a motorcycle, I was under the impression that the UK Licence was OK for Motorcycles under a certain CC.

Nevertheless, I will report back on Thursday with my outcome - cheers.

I'm not saying I didn't show it - can't remember I'm afraid. If I did, then as it happens it includes the motorcycle category.

You may be right about UK licence covering motorcycles anyway, but I don't think there are any CC limitations.

As I said, I wasn't aware of anyone taking practical tests, but it's possible some were. Anyway, I got my two temporary licences at the same time without.

Update - I am now the proud possessor of two (Motorcycle & Car) 5 year licences. I say 5 year, but actually they were issued 11 Nov 2009 and expire Sept 2015 (on my b'day) i.e. nearly 6 years - bargain eh?

They cost 530 baht each and a new photo' was taken at the desk.

They still include my current address on the back (someone said not). I don't what the process is if/when you move. I would guess a new Residence Cert. for the new address and a replacement/s licence/s - and pay of course.

If your paperwork is all correct it doesn't take long to get them - about half an hour on a busy afternoon in my case. There is no retake of the colour etc. tests and this is where the long waits are.

NB - for those pondering whether to bother and currently driving on UK or International Licences.

I am told that some (maybe all) Insurance Policies have a Thai small print clause stating that you must have a Thai licence for the insured vehicle.

I cannot quote this rule, but when I had some accident damage repaired it seemed to be confirmed. My insurance company was Virura/Virula (spelling?) and the repairer was (in house) Pattaya Garage. When the car was (eventually) ready for collection (oh no it wasn't) I received a call to tell me to be sure to bring my Thai Driving Licence. At collection I was asked to produce it, which I did, but I asked why they needed it. I was told that without a copy of it they could not claim/receive payment from the Insurer and, therefore, they would not release the car (unless I paid).

As it happened, I had driven for about 18 months on an International and only got my Thai licences 2 weeks before the accident - scary huh?. I was also assured that if I had not been able to produce a Thai licence at the scene then I would have faced a fine.

I am only quoting my experience as I understood it, with the intention of encouraging drivers to take the trouble to get one. Even for roadside checks I have seen the BiB refusing to accept anything other than a Thai Licence = 200 baht 'fine'.

• 2 weeks later...

Just renewed my 5 year license, I was concerned that it had expired by a month. This was not a problem and new license is valid till oct 2015. By the way had to do the reaction and coloured light test and sit through the driving education movie.

This was done in Rama 2 .

It is just an affadavit that shows where you live in Thailand. If you are a USA citizen you complete the form yourself and an Consular Officer asks you if you swear under penalty of perjury that the information on the form is true. If you answer yes they sign it and stamp the official Embassy stamp on it. It in reality means nothing but Thailand loves stuff stamped for your home country Embassy. For USA citizens it is currently 1,030 baht. For UK citizens I think it is around 2,300 baht from the UK Embassy.
I see in the first post it says "adress confirmation letter" from Embassy is required.

Is this confirmation of "address" or of "residency" as I am not resident but visit every year for 6 months.?

Might have guessed the good ole Uk embassy would be raving expensive!! So having your name in the Yellow book is no good for proof of address then when applying for a 1 year licence?

Wow this is a long long thread!

Thanks to everyone for posting very useful information.

I think I know what I will need but I have a question. I've seen posts from US citizens saying they basically swear that their address is correct and their embassy take their money and stamp the letter.

Does anyone know what the UK embassy/consulates require for their (doubly) expensive stamp? I'm going to be living with g/f in her sisters house, how do I get proof of living there?

Won't have any bills or official letters in my name there which is the normal UK way of proof of address, anyone got any experience with this? I've emailed UK consul in Chiang Mai (I'll be in Chiang Rai) and hopefully it can all be done by post as I don't fancy schlepping around for paperwork. Going off what has been said in this thread the Amphur documents are no longer acceptable by the DLT, although most of the posts refer to Bangkok, anyone done this in Chiang Rai?

Appreciate your help as always.

Biff

Further to my earlier post I have received this reply from UK embassy in Chiang Mai;

Dear Mr xxxx,

Thank you for your email to the British Consulate. Please see the attached file of how to obtain a Thai driving license.

Please see the document that we require as follows;

- your current passport

- fee for a standard letter is Baht 2,088 pay in cash at the Consulate.The process takes 1 working day.

- completed registration (LOCATE) which available on the website www.ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk

As you will be residing in Chiang Rai, you can send us a copy of your passport and proof of your address by post. Standard fee a letter is 2,088 Baht plus 100 Baht for returning by post. Please arrange payment by "Money Order" (OR Thananat in Thai) from local Post Office. Please make payment payable to "British Consulate" to be cashed at "Mae Ping" Post Office.

Please contact us nearer the time before you submit the application to confirm the fee.

Our office is open from Monday - Friday from 9.00-11.30 am. We are located at: British Council Compound, 198 Bumrungraj Road, Muang District, Chiang Mai 50000.

Please let me know if you require further asisstance.

They also attached a document;

DRIVING LICENCE

To obtain a Thai driving licence from the Thai authorities you will need the following documents:-

PASSPORT (original plus a copy)

VALID NON-IMMIGRANT VISA

LETTER FROM THE EMBASSY (confirming residency)

DOCTOR’S CERTIFICATE

VALID DRIVING LICENCE

TWO PHOTOS (1” x 1”)

You may have to sit a driving test and pass a written test on traffic signs. If you take your current overseas licence with you, you may only be required to sit the written test.

Please check with the Land Transportation office where you need to apply as this does depend on where you reside.

TO OBTAIN THE RESIDENCY LETTER FROM THE BRITISH EMBASSY

Register with the Embassy (details on how to follow below) then please also bring your original passport with you.

Complete the request form and state the address to be used on the letter

The fee for this service is Baht 2,088

The letter can be collected the following working day after 09.00 am or sent to you by

EMS (Express Mail Service – Baht 100)

LOCATE - CONSULAR ONLINE REGISTRATION

We encourage you to register with the British Embassy - new Consular online registration system (LOCATE) at http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/ or www.fco.gov.uk/locate. With facility in LOCATE, you will be able to 'manage' i.e. update and change, your own information at a later date, such as contact details, dates in the country, inform us of your plans etc.

For long-term residents who have registered with us, we also strongly advise you re-register your details with LOCATE.

British Embassy

Consular Section Tel: 0-2305 8333 from 9.00-11.00 a.m. only

14 Wireless Road Fax: 0-2255 6051

Bangkok 10330 E-mail: [email protected]

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/

Opening hours:

Monday - Thursday 8-11.00 am and 1 – 3.15 pm

Friday – 8-12 noon (ONLY)

There are a couple of discrepancies in the email and the letter, the email states that proof of address is required (I've asked them what proof)

and the attached letter mentions a request form but doesn't mention proof of address. When/if they supply me with said request form and acceptable proof of address, I'll post a copy here.

Hope this is useful.

B

NO PHOTO is needed as they now issue you what is called a "Smart Card" and take your picture on the spot. The license is a BIG step above the old style "Khao-San Road" bogus looking one. It has holograms, great lamination, and is written in both thai and english. What is NOT on the new license anymore is your home address; although the officer said if the police run the bar code thru a MICR reader (located in almost all thai police cars) the information comes up on a screen.

Good post tod - lots of useful info, but the above part is at odds with my experience. Both my old 1 year and my current 5 year licences had/have my home address on the back (in Thai only - actually, the current one has my work address, since this is the address on my WP, but it's my understanding they'll put whatever is on your proof of address/residence onto the licence).

I did not read all of this thread. But I just got my license in Khon Kean last week and all i had was my Texas drivers license. They made me go down and make a copy of the TDL Laws showing what the restrictions were and when i showed it they took my pic and issued my license on the spot. Very professional. And very nice folks.

I had to bring my health paper, and residence papers. That was it. It is really nice. Now i do not have to worry about that when driving . So If anyone is from Texas, now they have all of the paperwork at Khon Kean .. So you should only have to show your Texas license and get a Thai license.

.....................................................Does anyone know what the UK embassy/consulates require for their (doubly) expensive stamp? I'm going to be living with g/f in her sisters house, how do I get proof of living there?...............................................

I have to say I don't really understand all this expensive Embassy stuff, but presumably it varies from place to place.

In Pattaya at least (sorry not Chiang Rai) a Residence Certificate from Immigration is what is required. It is 200 baht and is the same document you need to buy a car or motorbike. You apply one day and collect it the next. If you need both licences then the Verification Centre said a copy would suffice for the second one.

For proof of address Immigration have previously accepted a copy of an apartment rent agreement in GF's name, though I do have household bills in my name now. I wonder if they would accept your expiring licence, which has your address on the back (assuming it's still correct).

Edited by mickba

You would need the International Driving Permit if you did not want to take the tests.

See here for information about obtaining one in the UK International Driving Permit

totster :)

Actually when I got my Thai licenses the 1st time. They told me they would have accepted my Michigan licenses and I would not have to take either of the tests. But it was expired so I did take the tests. The written test I failed the first time, the only information they had in English were the meaning of the street signs. An officer lent me a copy of Thailand motor regulations translated into English and I passed it the next day. The driving test was extremely simple. Renewal was incredibly easy, I showed up with my expired licenses and a form which for 30 baht a doctor(?) signed without seeing me.

Hi All,

Just want to share my experience of renewing my Thai driving license on a Tourist Visa.

My Thai license was first obtained in Sep 2008 at the Head Office in 1032 Phaholyothin Road

Chatuchak. I was living in Din Daeng at the time when I took my license and this office covered my district. I took both the theory and practical tests as I did not have any prior driving licenses before. Took me 2 times to pass the practical test.

My license was expired at the end of Sep 2009 and I was unable to return to renew it until 3 Dec 2009.

This time round my Non-Immigrant Visa had long expired and I was on a Tourist Visa (30 days). My fiancee and I had also moved to Lumlukka, Pathumthani.

2 scenarios of renewing my license appeared:

1. either I renew it back at the Head Office in Chatuchak using my old address as I have not changed my residence yet (I still retained letters from the bank with my old address on it)

2. I renew it at Pathumthani offices (was told by my Father-in-law that there were 2 license offices in Pathumthani)

I chose Scenario 2: renewing it at one of the 2 Pathumthani license offices.

On 3 Dec 2009 (Thur), I made a trip with my fiancee and my Father-in-law to the license office at Klong 4 Klong Luang District. To get there, you will have to drive to Eastern Ring Road out past the Thanyaburi Interchange, take the Klong Luang exit, go straight to a 'slit' road under a main road (not sure what the name of this road is and forgot to ask). The office is located inside the Inland Container Depot. Very huge compound, you will need to drive all the way to the end and make a right turn. It is not easy to get to this place without the help of a local residing in Pathumthani. I was told that even some of the Taxi drivers there don't even know the way to this office and would take you the other office instead.

The building looks rather new and is rather quiet. My fiancee led me to the office to the left as she had just renewed her license at the same office not long ago. I was crossing my fingers and the lady at the counter took a check on my documents:

1. Passport photo page - 1 x copy

2. Departure Card (TM 6) - 1 x copy

3. Arrival Stamp page - 1 x copy

4. Residency Affidavit (obtained from embassy) - 1 x copy

The lady paused after checking the 4 documents and I thought she rejected my application as I did not have a Non-Immigrant visa. Nope to my surprise, instead she requested that I go and obtain a doctor's certificate and she would proceed with my application immediately. My Father-in-Law drove me to a clinic around the vacinity, can't remember the name of the clinic but it was TM Clinic or something. The doctor is relatively young late twenties/early thirties and conversed well with me in English. 30 baht and I was out with the cert. Drove back to the centre again. This time, my application was processed and she said my license would be renenwed for 5 years. Whoopee!

Paid the following fees:

1. Application fee - 5 baht

2. Forgot what is this for (will update later) - 50 baht

3. Renewal fee for 5 years - 500 baht

4. Photo taking/card making fee - 100 baht

5. Plastic folder for license - 10 baht

Total: 665 baht

So there you have it, my license is now valid up till January 2015 and I did it without the presence of a Non-Immigrant visa. My driving license now reads 'Pathumthani 1' at the bottom which states where the license was granted, so I guess that there is more than 1 office in Pathumthani afterall.

In my view, I think its best that you get a local in Pathuthani to accompany you there. Some of the documents were in Thai only and I had to reply on my fiancee to fill it up for me. Also, don't assume that renewal applications can't be done on a Tourist visa. Yes, I might have been lucky here but still I think the key here is try to mask whatever documents you don't have with other documents you have obtained. Of course with all that said, it does still matter where you renew your license and not to mention that small element of luck plays. Thats why this forum is here for all of us to share and discuss our experiences.

Best regards,

Jon

Mondays are bad.

Fridays are bad.

Any time before or after a public holiday is bad.

There are no good times - they are always busy so just get there very early.

The 5-year license is very easy to get. No forms to fill in, no medical cert., no Immigration letter (unless you have changed address). Just take your expired Thai license, your passport (and a copy), two photos (you can get these done at any one of a number of shop-houses across the road from the Centre) and 505 Baht. Takes all of 30 minutes - if you get there early.

DM

A question though: Does the drivers license office use a digital camera or not??

And are all those UN cards I see around valid or copies... I have to go through that mess next year and I thought I had been told that the license included the international part for a Thai license but only valid for a few months... Who did the renew recently...

You were very very lucky :)

yep possibly but it's worth a shot if you don't want to take the driving test's

should have made it a little clearer, I did also have the other necisarry stuff, a Non-Im visa and a letter from British Embassey stating residence, they accepted the photocard licence instead of a IDP and didn't need to get it translated!

Do not think you were lucky the very same way I got my license 3 months ago along with several other farangs same day

Yesterday, I renewed my 5-year licence (which had expired in July!) at the traffic place in Tivanon Road, Nonthaburi. All they wanted was copies of my passport and work permit (no medical certificate was required) and my expired licence. I had to sit through 45 mins of a video and then take the colour blind and reflex tests. After that, I went downstairs and they issued me with a very trendy licence with digital photo, holograms etc.

The whole process took about an hour, most of which was the 45 minute video.

I'm a driving virgin, never had a drivers license, but planning on starting the process. I have a Marriage Visa, 1 year (since 4 years), but no work permit. That should be valid to:

1. Apply for a driving school.

2. Learn, learn, learn.

3. Get the documents (residency confirmation, medical, etc).

4. Pass the driving test.

5. Get my license.

Is that correct? I'm worried I'd need a work permit or something as I never had a drivers license before.

Nobody knows? :)

I'm sitting with the printed requirements issued by the CM driving licence office beside me.

1 not required

2 not required

3 residency cert (or Yellow book or Work permit), medical cert, Non immigrant OR Tourist Visa

4 Start training at 9am if no licence (all training given on day), written test 1pm

5 Get licence

Best to know which pedal for clutch, brake and accelerator before the course but not required.

Edited by pjclark1

Just got my first 5-year licenses for car and motorcycle from the Nong Bua Lam Phu LTO (it's the newest and smallest province in Thailand). Got there about an hour after they opened, and there was no wait - everybody else was already processed into the far end of the building for reaction tests and such. Went in with my expired-the-day-before licenses, and two copies of: the tambien baan, the medical certificate, the passport photo page, departure card, arrival stamp, and current extension stamp. Had to fill out two of the application forms. Handed them all over to the nice clerk, who checked me in the computer, then did the fastest stamping work I'd ever seen on those signed copies lol... She stapled my old licenses to the forms, and directed me to the photo booth. I asked about tests (yeah, maybe not smart, but it all went so fast!) and she said, we don't bother testing farang for the 5-year, what's the point? Or words to that effect, as translated by my wife. Then she said, maybe in 5 more years, they'll test, but who knows (with a big smile)...

10 minutes all up, done. Amazing!

This week, I not only got the driver's licenses, but also the extension to my retirement visa, all with no problems. Issan is great!

As my 1 year temporary driving license was expired, I applied today at the Land Transport Office number 3 in Bangkok, close to Onnut for a new license.

I needed no photographs (they are taking on-site) but they did want the medical certificate, proof of address, and copies of the passport, as well as a look at the passport.

Non tests were required.

All-in-all I was ready in about 15 minutes with a new 5-year driving License :)

• 4 weeks later...

I,ve not read all the thread, but wish to imput the latest news re a 5 year renewal I was given yesterday for anyone who may wish to check it out at their nearest DL office.

I telephoned the local D.L. office at AEK Udonthani to check out the timing for renewal of my 5 year licence which is due while I,m back in the U.K.

They informed me I could apply up to ninety days prior to it,s expiry date or up to one year after.

I double checked what I was being told and they confirmed the above criteria.

They also confirmed they take your photo themselves and the new licence is a credit card type, which is good news and more user friendly than my last one.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

• 2 weeks later...

I've been driving here on my foreign license for years and never bothered to get a Thai one. Yes, even my insurance policy covers, since the "fine print" only states that you must be driving on a valid licence from any country. But I thought maybe I should be a good citizen and go get a Thai one.

Two quick questions:

- are work permits accepted as proof of residence, or do you also need the embassy letter?

- regarding the peripheral vision test, must one have perfect peripheral vision in both eyes? I have loss of some peripheral vision in one eye and I'm not sure whether that would fail my eye test.

I'd be doing mine at the Chatuchak main office.

I've been driving here on my foreign license for years and never bothered to get a Thai one. Yes, even my insurance policy covers, since the "fine print" only states that you must be driving on a valid licence from any country. But I thought maybe I should be a good citizen and go get a Thai one.

Two quick questions:

- are work permits accepted as proof of residence, or do you also need the embassy letter?

- regarding the peripheral vision test, must one have perfect peripheral vision in both eyes? I have loss of some peripheral vision in one eye and I'm not sure whether that would fail my eye test.

I'd be doing mine at the Chatuchak main office.

I got mine the other day in On Nut. I had copies of all pages of my work permit which after I signed every page they were happy with. Also need passport front, visa and departure card copied. I had an Australian and international licence, not interested in the Australian but happy with the international. Same deal here sign every page of the copies. Also a driving medical from a doctor somewhere. Cost 205 Baht, and 3 hours.

The peripheral vision test is a bit strange and I have never seen anything like it before. You sit on a stool with you nose pressed up against the machine. The examiner is watching your eyes and you have to look straight ahead at a yellow sticker. They then have red, yellow nad green lights on either side which you have to correctly identify the colour of. I failed the first time and got told to continue with all the other tests, passed all those OK so back for the test again but nice friendly examiner. No problems.

The GF could not understand why everyone else was watching videos and taking tests etc and I did not have to, I am pretty sure it was because of work permit and international licence, but could be wrong as TIT and that explanation is a bit to logical.

Costs nothing but a 30 baht for the medical cert and a bit of time so give it a go.