Early Retirement Visa

I'm just wondering if the Thai authorities ever 'bend' the rules regarding the issue of retirement visas to those under the age of 50.

I'm 46, and am just about to get my 3rd year with a non-immigrant B visa. I do have a Thai ltd company, and a WP, but my WP is not 'tied' to my B visa (ie - the B visa was issued separately from the WP).

However, I don't actually 'work' in LoS (by the definitions given in previous posts), and I have a healthy income every month from my UK business. So it makes some sense (maybe), to bin my Thai company, WP and B visa, and go for a retirement visa instead.

I'm marrying a Thai woman later this year. If it's important to the process, I hold a couple of UK degrees (in rocket science!!), and I make regular donations to Thai charities :o. I usually bring about 1 million baht into LoS every month.

I could get an Elite Card to give me 5 years visa-entry into LoS (yes I know this vard is cr*p and expensive, but it's the 5 year visa that interests me)

Thanks!

Simon

PS - And what about PR? I think my 3 years of non-imm B visas count for nothing in this process. And I'm not clear from previous posts if PR can be obtained if you don't work in LoS. Does holding an Elite Card help wrt getting PR?

1. PR requires 3 years of extension of stay (you say your work permit has nothing to do with your B visa so can only assume you do not have an extension of stay but do 90 day visa runs). PR is not automatic in any sense - the minimum time requirement to apply is all the 3 years provides.

2. I believe it very unlikely immigration would ignore 4 years but you could ask - providing proof of money transfers of 1 million baht per month might help.

3. After marriage you could obtain support Thai wife extension of stay for O visa on a yearly basis with 400k in bank account and your foreign employment.

4. There is also the possibility of an investment type visa (not the card) and that seems to start at only 3 million baht. You should talk with immigration office for details.

5. I suspect you are not supposed to hold the Elite card if you live in Thailand full time so not sure how it would affect PR, or even if the visa would qualify toward the 3 years on "yearly visa extensions" as these are 3 month type extensions AFAIK.

I don't think this really helps your situation, but I was told that you can apply for retirement at the age of 49.

Apparantly, in Thai law, you're 1 year old at birth

Not sure if this is true.

But we are not Thai. :o

From reports I have seen it does make for a good laugh but they know how we count and do the same. But it might be worth a try for those that are "going on 50".

I'm not sure what you are after..Do you want PR..or do you want a relatively hassle free way to be in LOS

Of course I realise reading all this that if you are bring $25K into LOS every month you probably have reasons to be elsewhere..that is a net UK pa income of c£170000 What on earth do you do with all that dosh? Cannot imagine why you are asking us!! as presumably you can pay the best lawyers in town.

.... I usually bring about 1 million baht into LoS every month.....

You don't have to answer this, but what do you do for a living Simon? 12,000,000 baht every year is a lot of money - you can easily afford an investment visa (buy a condominium for 3 mil.). Was it a typo? :o

Typo, truth or boast......I am waiting the reply!!

I am probably not far from the truth if I say most of us are living on + or - 1m Baht one year not one month

Edited by srisatch

I would keep you Thai Ltd company going.

1. You can use it to buy property here.

2. Keep the illusion of work. Continue to have the company "pay" you a salary and pay the tax.

Even if the income really comes from overseas.

This will stand you in good stead if you go for PR later.

While this is going on you can put your feet up, or whatever takes your fancy.

Not a typo about my work! I usually bring in about 1 million baht every month, but I keep another million or 2 million baht offshore every month!

And what wonderful job do I have to earn all this money? I spoke about it before on this forum. I write the software for, and operate mobile phone SMS chat and dating services. (These are the services where you can chat with 'sexy Susan' for the pricley sum of 150p per message!!

I can manage this business 'remotely' from Thailand, with my servers 'offshore' in Guernsey. I run this business alone, and have been doing it for about 6 years....

Thanks for all your good advice!

Simon

PS - what do I do with 1 million baht every month? I give some to Thai charities, some to my wife (!) and then usually invest the rest. I'm not the sort of guy with a 'big face'! (eg - I just counted how many pairs of shoes I own and the answer is exactly 1!!)

I don't think this really helps your situation, but I was told that you can apply for retirement at the age of 49.

Apparantly, in Thai law, you're 1 year old at birth

Not sure if this is true.

But we are not Thai. :o

From reports I have seen it does make for a good laugh but they know how we count and do the same. But it might be worth a try for those that are "going on 50".

I tried that a couple of times during the last six months of being 49. Never a hesitation in saying "no" until my 50th birthday, at least in Chiang Mai. On my 50th, I got a stamp for 13 months, 10 minutes after passing my paperwork over to them...