Longest Solar Eclipse Will Sweep Thailand

sbk

A Prachinburi astronomer said yesterday that Thais would be able to observe a solar eclipse for about six minutes tomorrow from approximately 7-9.30am.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/21

Very good... someone needs to tell the idiot how to tell the time... 7-9.30 is not 6 minutes...

I wonder what determines how fast an eclipse will last. Does the Speed of the earth slow down or the sun speed up? I would think it is generally the same speed on every eclipse. I don't know much about this subject so I don't know.

The distance from the earth to the moon and the earth to the sun changes. This changes the arc angle between the earth-moon-sun. The closer the moon to earth, the wider this angle thus more time for passing across. Just an educated guess. :)

Also add the angle that the moon is crossing the path of the sun counts too.

At 90 deg. to BOTH sun and earth, it crosses in the least amount of time,

left to right /up to down, etc, in the shortest distance of travel vs time.

But at 45 degs, the moon is crossing at an angle

so must travel longer 'time and distance wise' to actually displace the sun at on viewpoint.

for the same AREA of displacement, since some half of the moons travel is towards or away from the sun

and/or the earth, rather than across the path diagonally.

Hope this makes sense.

C'mon, not near as exciting as one of those 100% eclipses. Yet to see one of those in my life.

I was in Marazion, Cornwall, UK in '99. Weather was fantastic the day before totality. Turned partially cloudy on the day with a huge cloud covering everything on the vinegar strokes. Never been so disappointed. It was, however, pretty surreal as a giant shadow rolled in and tens of thousands of people oohed and ahhed, birds buzzing around not knowing what to do. It's a must if you ever have the chance to see a total eclipse :)

I saw that too on Fristal beach after partying all night and day, it was well cloudy but as you said on the vinger strokes they broke and had a really good view of it and wasnt dissapointed.

my mate was sleeping in the car cos he was too wasted and i walked about 20 mins to get him to wake up just before it, his reply was f-off. mates ehhh!!!

A Prachinburi astronomer said yesterday that Thais would be able to observe a solar eclipse for about six minutes tomorrow from approximately 7-9.30am.

And the same guy can explain to me why the earth rotates in an Easterly direction when observed from the Southern hemisphere. :)

When lost in the outback (Australia) it is handy to know when your head is at 90 degrees to your arm and if your right arm points to the sun in the morning you are facing North whilst in the afternoon pointing the same will have you facing South. Around midday you just guess!

I am so glad I checked this thread to find that the eclipse is next month rather than tomorrow, there was an outside chance that I would have actually woken up for it (Between 7.00 and 9.30)

I'll just miss it next month instead.

Edited by Moonrakers

SBK,

Do you think you could add to your daily list of jobs to do, perhaps a 48hr, 24hr & 20 minute warning before this event.

Perhaps you could also provide a telephone reminder service to those members not logged in 20 minutes before the event. :)

I'll put it on my calendar neverdie. Just send me your phone number and I will be sure to call you at 5 am to remind you :D

Does that mean we are going to get woken up in the morning by people scaring away the dragon eating the sun?

No, not any dragon; Rahu. I was here for the last eclipse and its most definitely Rahu that swallows the sun.

Go ahead. Be so vain. Fly your Lear Jet to northern Bhutan.

Bhutan sure beats Nova Scotia for cool! :)

Carlie told me many years back, when she was with J.T., that she couldn't

really remember why she had been so pissed off when she wrote that song.

She also added that she made so much money from it, it now only

makes her smile and laugh at the whole thing.

Having seen a total eclipse, I think most people would find it a great experience. If you get there and the weather cooperates, you are likely to feel astonishment and wonder as well as seeing something very beautiful. While I won't get to this one, I am hoping to see the next one in Asia after that. Take a look at the path of totality, check your travel schedule, you never know :)

• 2 weeks later...
SBK,

Do you think you could add to your daily list of jobs to do, perhaps a 48hr, 24hr & 20 minute warning before this event.

Perhaps you could also provide a telephone reminder service to those members not logged in 20 minutes before the event. :D

I'll put it on my calendar neverdie. Just send me your phone number and I will be sure to call you at 5 am to remind you :D

Does that mean we are going to get woken up in the morning by people scaring away the dragon eating the sun?

No, not any dragon; Rahu. I was here for the last eclipse and its most definitely Rahu that swallows the sun.

Ohhh there you go again sbk, pretending you don't already have my phone number :) .

5am, ewww, perhaps you could video the eclipse & post it for me, so I can watch it at say errr 9am.

I wonder what determines how fast an eclipse will last. Does the Speed of the earth slow down or the sun speed up? I would think it is generally the same speed on every eclipse. I don't know much about this subject so I don't know.

The distance from the earth to the moon and the earth to the sun changes. This changes the arc angle between the earth-moon-sun. The closer the moon to earth, the wider this angle thus more time for passing across. Just an educated guess. :)

I'll add that the sun does neither relative to us (speed up or slow down). One bit of trivia for the layman; a total eclipse of the sun from earth is finite in that the moon is moving away ever so slightly because he's too big for us and through tidal action. I expect Wiki would tell you how long, but it's not in the order of billions of years. We'll all be in the ground through pig flu before then anyhow.

Well this is what i got in 98, though the weather was not cooperating.

Eclipse 6-9 minutes before totality

Grains of Baily

Sometimes called Bailey's Beads.

I have been looking for a String of Pearls shot, but no luck.

But this is a nice site on a recent eclipse.

http://www.willianenpetra.nl/ec/ec_pages.htm

Edited by animatic

Another good link.

http://www.eclipse-chasers.com/tsePhoto.html

http://www.wavelengthphotography.com.au/eclipse/Eclipse.asp

and wavelengths decent string of pearls shot

wavelength_2002SolarEclipse.jpg

And an interesting site for eclipse tours

http://www.wincoeclipsetours.com/

Oops checked the links above, my '1998 6-9 minutes before totality' shot

was an incomplete link and I can't edit it. So here it is again.

Eclipse2.jpg

Edited by animatic

• 3 weeks later...
I hope everyone in Thailand knows they can't look directly at it without welders goggles or equivalent. :D Or stick a pin through cardboard then look at the image created by the light passing through the hole. :)

Nice of The Nation to remind everyone of these safety measures.

Yes!

My GF was going to look at it with dark glasses!!!

Catch the solar eclipse

By The Nation

Published on July 20, 2009

Telescopes will be provided for stargazers and those interested in watching the solar eclipse on Wednesday at a major observation site in Pathum Thani and eight other locations around Thailand.

National Science Museum scientists will also explain at the site about the natural phenomenon, which will occur from 7am to 9.30am. A thousand tinted pairs of spectacles will be provided for free.

A total solar eclipse cannot be observed within entire Thailand, and the time it begins will vary depending from where it is observed. Call 02 577 9999 extension 2102 or 1835 for more information.

The National Astronomical Institute of Thailand (NAIT) said the duration of the eclipse will be exactly from 7am to 9.19am. Countries and areas where a full eclipse can be seen are India, China, Japan and the South Pacific.

After the total eclipse in Thailand in 1995, this solar ecplise will set a record as the longest so far in the 21st Century, with a duration time of six minutes and 39 seconds. It will last the longest in Chiang Mai - two hours and 12 minutes - as well as be the largest eclipse, with 69 per cent of the moon's shadow covering the Sun.

Bangkokians can see it from 7.06am to 9.08am and can view the moon's shadow at a coverage percentage of 42.2 at 8.03am.

The NAIT is cooperating with Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok and eight universities and colleges in other parts of the country to arrange observation sites from which people can view the eclipse.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/20

Catch the solar eclipse

By The Nation

Telescopes will be provided for stargazers and those interested in watching the solar eclipse on Wednesday at a major observation site in Pathum Thani and eight other locations around Thailand.

National Science Museum scientists will also explain at the site about the natural phenomenon, which will occur from 7am to 9.30am. A thousand tinted pairs of spectacles will be provided for free.

A total solar eclipse cannot be observed within entire Thailand, and the time it begins will vary depending from where it is observed. Call 02 577 9999 extension 2102 or 1835 for more information.

The National Astronomical Institute of Thailand (NAIT) said the duration of the eclipse will be exactly from 7am to 9.19am. Countries and areas where a full eclipse can be seen are India, China, Japan and the South Pacific.

After the total eclipse in Thailand in 1995, this solar ecplise will set a record as the longest so far in the 21st Century, with a duration time of six minutes and 39 seconds. It will last the longest in Chiang Mai - two hours and 12 minutes - as well as be the largest eclipse, with 69 per cent of the moon's shadow covering the Sun.

Bangkokians can see it from 7.06am to 9.08am and can view the moon's shadow at a coverage percentage of 42.2 at 8.03am.

The NAIT is cooperating with Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok and eight universities and colleges in other parts of the country to arrange observation sites from which people can view the eclipse.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/07/20

From The Nation!!! " with a duration time of six minutes and 39 seconds. It will last the longest in Chiang Mai - two hours and 12 minutes"

Phra jao

Edited by caf

Catch the solar eclipse

By The Nation

Telescopes will be provided for stargazers and those interested in watching the solar eclipse ...

Let's hope they also provide white sticks.

Catch the solar eclipse

By The Nation

Telescopes will be provided for stargazers and those interested in watching the solar eclipse ...

Let's hope they also provide white sticks.

Let's also hope they also provide serious neutral density filters to protect eyes.

1 second in a telescope looking at this type of eclipse without a filter

can blind you permanently...

Edited by animatic