Do You Want The Pattaya Taxi Cars To Use Their Meters?

Jingthing

Do you want the Pattaya taxi cars to use their meters?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I noticed more "noise" on the board about how the Pattaya taxi cars (ironically called Pattaya taxi meters) have meters but will never USE the meters. The charter prices they demand are way over the top, basically a huge multiple over what the same distance ride would cost in Bangkok. For example a 50 baht Bangkok taxi ride may be 300 to 400 baht here :D . The Pattaya taxi cars, btw, are owned by the same company that controls the Pattaya baht buses :D , and this was allowed :D by Pattaya City Hall.

So, given that good business is to give CONSUMERS what they WANT :) , do you LIKE the current no meter system, or do you WANT them to USE the meters?

Edited by Jingthing

i am trying to imagine why people wouldn't want them to use the meters. The only reason I can think of it if you are a radical environmentalist and are opposed to all private transport. The current system translates into the cars sitting idle most of the time waiting for the few people willing to be overcharged. If they used the meters, they would be engaged MUCH more, burning precious fossil fuels.

Edited by Jingthing

The poll is a bit of a loaded question JingT! :)

Maybe it should read "Should it be mandatory for Pattaya Taxis to switch on their meters at the start of a fare?" being policeable by the meter light being illuminated on top of the taxi when there is a passenger sitting inside.

Any taxi found not abiding by this law will get a 5000B fine (paid by the driver, not the passenger) of which the arresting officer gets to keep 3000B personally as his commision.

The poll is a bit of a loaded question JingT! :)

Maybe it should read "Should it be mandatory for Pattaya Taxis to switch on their meters at the start of a fare?" being policeable by the meter light being illuminated on top of the taxi when there is a passenger sitting inside.

Any taxi found not abiding by this law will get a 5000B fine (paid by the driver, not the passenger) of which the arresting officer gets to keep 3000B personally as his commision.

great idea! Let's draw matches on who goes first and introduces this to City Hall :D

I voted don't care as I don't use them but I suppose, strictly speaking they should be forced to use them. On the other hand as they are reportedly run by the Baht bus Mafia I would rather see them run out of town completely, as the roads are already overcrowded with their other infernal offerings! :)

In addition to being *required* to use their meters, I'd like to see a service like dialing *1661 to reserve a taxi for a small (B25?) surcharge to pick you up whereever you are. I live in a semi-obscure area and the chance of a taxi ever randomly driving by is slim, so a *1661 would be ideal.

Thought I'd try one a week or so ago as it was really hot & the thoughts of an aircon ride to jomtien seemed a good idea.

Took ten minutes to flag one down outside of Royal Garden Plaza, first one did'nt want to go to Jomtien. Another ten minutes to get 2nd one, he ok'd Jomtien, so jumped in.

Meter not switched on. Asked him to switch it on, he said 150baht to Jomtien. I opened the door to get out....ok,ok,ok...switched the meter on.

Got to Jomtien, meter said 42bht...I gave him 60. He was'nt too happy. But I was cool.

Meter not switched on. Asked him to switch it on, he said 150baht to Jomtien. I opened the door to get out....ok,ok,ok...switched the meter on.

Got to Jomtien, meter said 42bht...I gave him 60. He was'nt too happy. But I was cool.

Thanks for that, it is a surprising story. Generally, they will tell you the charter price when you first engage them and will not entertain turning on the meter. Other readers, don't count on many repeats of the above story. I also think they will generally ask 200 baht to inner Jomtien. Maybe some are getting desperate. GOOD!

Edited by Jingthing