Dengue Fever In Pattaya

wilko

Just to let you folks know that there is four different stages before one can say such disease is fatal.

1. First time, you get the willies of fever, headache, nausea, vomiting and a headache to always remember. From this point on DEFINITELY DO YOUR BEST TO AVOID GETTING IT AGAIN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Second time this same condition is even worse than the first and your recovery will be very slow indeed. Definititely requiring hospitalization no doubt for a solid two weeks NOT TO MENTION THE HEADACHE!!!!!!!

3. Third time this same condition will cause bleeding from your openings and even thru the skin, and if you are lucky to get immediate hospital treatment at its beginning you will survive but be in a hospital for a solid month!!!!!!!!!! After this PLEASE FORGET EVER WANTING TO OR YOUR URGES to go to any country that has DENGUE on their list. Choose another place free from it to visit from this point on FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

4. FOURTH TIME------->This round, say your prayers, make sure your last will is in place and up to date, say your final goodbyes because it is usually always FATAL. Less than 0.5 % ever survive this stage.

Anyone who catches Dengue you will be actually SICK for a whole month like it or not. The headaches will be obviously be with you for one solid month. As time goes by during this month the headaches will slowly abate and it gets less in intensity.

No doubt you will be PRACTICALLY SACKED in the bed for a solid week. So if you get the chance, bring next to the bed plenty of water, your waste pan to do your bathroom duties, and if you have any appointments cancel all of them for two a solid weeks. Most importantly PLEASE have someone with you during this time period, because you will obviously need their help and if you are getting really bad, they can get you to the hospital PRONTO. This option is for those who choose not to go to the hospital which to me is VERY STUPID INDEED.

Catching DENGUE is one disease nobody wants to catch-----> So each has to do their best in protecting yourself.

I suggest TO ALL FOREIGNERS please buy ULTRATHON from 3M company. You can find this at OUTDOOR SPORTSMAN STORES or in most sports shops outside of THAILAND. They have it in two styles. One being a cream and the other as spray. For the SPRAY- You can do your clothes and follow its instructions. As of the creme put it on your body at all exposed areas. The good thing about this creme it is EXTREMELY VERY EFFECTIVE and lasts a good 12 hours giving those squito's a good pow wow. But PLEASE REMEMBER it lasts only 12 hours, so you have to apply it again each day. I suggest you apply such during the hours between 6 AM and 10 AM of the morning and during the afternoon after 3 PM. This is the time periods of heavy mosquito activity. The rest of the day and into the night they are around, but with this creme your protected.

With this Ultrathon, your chances of catching DENGUE is greatly reduced to less than 5 %.

By the way the mosquitos here when they BITE you will not feel the bite like you feel such in America. You will not even know you are being bitten unless you can have sensitivity in your skin telling you something is on your body. The bite lasts only like 20 seconds or less. They are very quick indeed. The bite will cause the area to swell up a bit and then it becomes itchy as heck. By this time then you know you got zapped by a squito and it is too late. After this keep your fingers crossed. If no Dengue, the bitten area takes a good week to go away.

So for me if I experience ANY of DENGUE symthoms you can bet I am CHECKING IN to a hospital and plan to stay there a good solid 7 to 10 days like it or not. I will not chance it at all trying to recover such by myself in my room. You can bet on that part. Depending on which hospital you choose, for the most part it is affordable even for those who have low income or on a tight budget.

So I suggest to all Foreigners, put aside a sufficient amount of funds in your budget for any hospital stay in Thailand and for any medications needed, to cover your back. IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST.

Hope this information is of HELP to you ALL. Good Luck

Daveyo

Thanks Dave. Very helpful. I was one of the stupid ones in my room, but I won't do that again. I'm also going to look for Ultrathon. Do you know if or where I can get it in Thailand? I'm very susceptible to mosquito bites.

Thanks.

Thanks Dave.  Very helpful.  I was one of the stupid ones in my room, but I won't do that again.  I'm also going to look for Ultrathon.  Do you know if or where I can get it in Thailand?  I'm very susceptible to mosquito bites.

Thanks.

Active ingrediant is DEET.

This is the 3M explanation. DEET

My wife had Dengue when she was about 7, Bleeding and all...does anyone think the kids will have any antibodies? I think there are different strains of Dengue..thus probably not the same as 20 years ago..Anyone know?

Thanks Dave.   Very helpful.  I was one of the stupid ones in my room, but I won't do that again.  I'm also going to look for Ultrathon.  Do you know if or where I can get it in Thailand?  I'm very susceptible to mosquito bites.

Thanks.

Active ingrediant is DEET.

This is the 3M explanation. DEET

My wife had Dengue when she was about 7, Bleeding and all...does anyone think the kids will have any antibodies? I think there are different strains of Dengue..thus probably not the same as 20 years ago..Anyone know?

As chatchy mentioned earlier in this thread, there are four strains of dengue in Thailand. Once you've contracted one strain, you're immune to that one and thus you have only three other chances to get it. Medical statisticians reckon you have a one in 10,000 chance of catching dengue from a mosquito bite.

A vaccine against dengue has been developed by the US Army Medical Corps, working out of a lab in Kamphaeng Phet. The vaccine is now in the human trials stage, and the results haven't been made public yet.

The vast majority of cases reported in Thailand occur during the rainy season, with the bell curve peak coming between June 15 and Aug 15 in the average year.

Does the usage of Ultrathon (aerosol or lotion) has any limitations for small children?

If not the ULTRATHON, may be there are other DEET-based insect repellents available in Thailand for immediate use.

If someone is coming to Thailand in a short while, and is willing to bring Ultrathon along, please PM me for details.

I'm sure, many more members will be interested to buy it.

Does the usage of Ultrathon (aerosol or lotion) has any limitations for small children?

If not the ULTRATHON, may be there are other DEET-based insect repellents available in Thailand for immediate use.

If someone is coming to Thailand in a short while, and is willing to bring Ultrathon along, please PM me for details.

I'm sure, many more members will be interested to buy it.

There are HEAPS of DEET based repellants available. :o

from my understanding, thai people (that have lived in thailand) get dengue and malaria differently than falangs; cant remember where i read it but try searching .... something indeed due to antibodies, exposure or whatever, something along the lines of us israelis with jiardia; our kids are all very resistant, the average american gets doubled over with the parasite.... but dont take this as gospel i;m searching my files .....

isnt there a thai epidemology center that has info? in is reliable?

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 y.o. daughter is very susceptible to mosquito bites...

So, I have ordered ULTRATHON 3M (4 tubes of lotion) online from Medshop Express with delivery via Deutsche Post. I didn't order the spray cans since the Air delivery problems. The cost including delivery was US$39.20 charged to my Bangkok Bank visa card.

If I recall correctly, I have ordered it on 21 Feb. and get it today delivered to my home without any extra charges. Actually, I didn't get any info from the visa yet, so I don't know what will be the cost in THB, but who cares...

Just another example of how the Internet changed our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend is currently in hospital, he has a fever and his skin is turning yellow, is this dengue?

The hospital did a blood test but they arnt telling us whats wrong with him (local up country hospital), I think they don't know, all they've said is that he has to stay in hospital.

He's on a drip and they want him to take paracetamol but hes not taking them.

He's supposed to be flying home on saturday, will they let him fly?

Edited by mcfester

A friend is currently in hospital, he has a fever and his skin is turning yellow, is this dengue?

The hospital did a blood test but they arnt telling us whats wrong with him (local up country hospital), I think they don't know, all they've said is that he has to stay in hospital.

He's on a drip and they want him to take paracetamol but hes not taking them.

He's supposed to be flying home on saturday, will they let him fly?

Could be malaria. I've had it a few times and my liver blew up to the size of a football (apparently). Hurt like ######. Not just the liver. Everywhere.

If it is his first time, the chances of dignosing it are less than the second time around. Don't know why this is, it just is.

Tell him to take the paracaetamol as if they aren't giving him anything else for the pain it's better than nothing at all.

Drink HEAPS of water.

And if the whole family is in there (is he Thai?) tell them to bugger off and let him get some rest.

Not Dengue, sound more like jaundice or liver failure, tell him not to be so stupid and take the paracetamol, Thia doctors are perfectly well trained

Jaundice is a sign of liver failure for whatever reason. In liver failure a person should never take paracetamol/Tylenol (same thing). This drug is hepato toxic and any Dr. with half a brain should know this.

Pgrin

There are HEAPS of DEET based repellants available. :o

In TOPS and the like you can buy "Off" or "Deepwoods Off" which are also mosquito repelants containing DEET, there are also other similar brands available. What you have to check is how much DEET is actually in them, in some the active ingredient is so low that it is totally ineffective.

If you are not dating or your partner is nasally debilitated you could always rub yourself all over with Garlic Oil ! ! ! I have been told it works very well.

Jaundice within Thailand is usually associated with Hepatitus A. Which frequently leaves a patient with fever, headaches, tiredness etc as well as Jaundice.

More info, precautions (NO PARACETAMOL) and treatment can be found at:

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/Hepatitis.html

If this is the case and your friend decides to travel then it will be important that he takes plenty of water with him/her on the plane as air travel causes dehydration. Avoid all alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...
I was bitten about 10 times at night while in Bangkok.  I believe the date was the 20th of March.  No problems so far.

My question is this:  how long does it take symptons to start if I have the virus?

This s_hit is too scarry!

The mozzie carrying the Dengue virus (Aedes) is a day-time one; it bites largely moroning and until dusk.

The usual incubation period is 3 to 5 days.