Where To Buy Good Excercise Equipment?

Ajarn

I want some excercise eguipment, but not the kind sold at Tesco, et all. I'm looking for a Stairmaster, and something else you would find in a good health club. Cost is not very important. Any ideas?

Ajarn, I've been trying to get this kind of stuff - used - for a long time and it is hardly ever for sale. It is REALLY expensive. If you don't care about the price too much, just go to a gym with equipment that you like and ask them where they got it. It is easy, if you are willing to pay the full price.

I suggest checking out what's on display at the following:

Sports World at the rear of Central Kad Suan Kaew (3rd floor, I think)

Sports Dept inside Robinson at Airport Plaza

The gym/workout equipment shop about 150 metres south from Suan Dok Gate (inner moat road)

In addition to what they have on display, they can also order other machines (printed catalogues/brochures to see at the first two and online catalogue/photocopies at the third)

There's another place with assorted workout gear on Huay Kaew Road about halfway (west side) between Central Kad Suan Kaew & Amari Rincome - but they tend to have somewhat more basic items on display. Again, they can order.

Edited by Steve2UK

I want some excercise eguipment, but not the kind sold at Tesco, et all. I'm looking for a Stairmaster, and something else you would find in a good health club. Cost is not very important. Any ideas?

SPORTathlon in Bangkok. You can call this # 086324179 the guys name is Preecha, speaks OK English. Deals with high end fitness equipment, I just bought a machine from, nice smooth transaction. Professionally installed and serviced. I can highly recomend him & his company.

I build studio-quality Pilates exercise equipment. But I am in Canada until September. Can you wait?

Cheers,

Mark

(Pilates-Chiangmai)

What type of equipment do they use for Pilates? I thought you just needed a floor...

SPORTathlon in Bangkok. You can call this # 086324179 the guys name is Preecha, speaks OK English. Deals with high end fitness equipment, I just bought a machine from, nice smooth transaction. Professionally installed and serviced. I can highly recomend him & his company.

Thank you sk1max, this is the kind of information I'm looking for :)

Probably be better off with a rower than a stairmaster ole mate. It'll work most of the body as subtle or as tough as you like (if you have a good un) and they're comfortable for the most part. There's only one to get and that's the Concept II. There's a farang distributor in Bangkok who delivers up here - sorry, no longer ave details but a bit of digging on Concept II Rower Bkk and you'll come up with it. Will cost you in the region of 70 big ones, though, but will easily outlast you. The best all-round bit of kit I've ever worked with. Anything developed here will eventually just fall to bits.

Wiki

Probably be better off with a rower than a stairmaster ole mate. It'll work most of the body as subtle or as tough as you like (if you have a good un) and they're comfortable for the most part. There's only one to get and that's the Concept II. There's a farang distributor in Bangkok who delivers up here - sorry, no longer ave details but a bit of digging on Concept II Rower Bkk and you'll come up with it. Will cost you in the region of 70 big ones, though, but will easily outlast you. The best all-round bit of kit I've ever worked with. Anything developed here will eventually just fall to bits.

Wiki

I use the store that was already cited as being near the suan dok gate. I'll see if i can get you a name and more exact address. I've bought a treadmill and an elliptical trainer there. The treadmill brand was DK City and the elliptical trainer was Spirit Brand. I couldn't find anything about DK city brand despite my searches on the internet but the Spirit brand was very highly rated. I have had no problems with either. They both feel very sturdy not flimsy like the usual home exercise equipment. Have had no problems with either except that the spirit brand pulse meter is useless. But if I had gone for the next level up which was basically only an improvement in instrumentation, that probable would have been okay too. The point being that this store does offer high quality equipment. ght. And its prices were better than the big sports store at Central And when I need the equipment moved upstairs they came right over and did the job.

Wiki

If you want to purchase a Concept II rowing machine in Thailand then the best way is to contact Concept in the USA. Get their web address from the internet and email them. I did this, and have documented it in several posts on here some 12-18 months ago. I purchaed the bog standard one for some 1100 US Dollars, 40,000 baht approx. and that included all the taxes and delivery to my front door.

The reason Concept will sell direct to you is that they do not have a registered outlet in Thailand, (well they did not when I bought mine). Even the top of the range one will not cost too much more, certainly not the 70,000 you mention.

If you want to pay through the nose then go ahead, but why when with a little work on the keyboard, it can be purchased at half price.

Hope this helps Ajarn

Wiki

If you want to purchase a Concept II rowing machine in Thailand then the best way is to contact Concept in the USA. Get their web address from the internet and email them. I did this, and have documented it in several posts on here some 12-18 months ago. I purchaed the bog standard one for some 1100 US Dollars, 40,000 baht approx. and that included all the taxes and delivery to my front door.

The reason Concept will sell direct to you is that they do not have a registered outlet in Thailand, (well they did not when I bought mine). Even the top of the range one will not cost too much more, certainly not the 70,000 you mention.

If you want to pay through the nose then go ahead, but why when with a little work on the keyboard, it can be purchased at half price.

Hope this helps Ajarn

How does it work?? Do I sit on it? Lie on it? What do I excercise with?

I wish the picture had someone using it. It would be a lot clearer to me :)

I don't know if my old body can use it easily...

Hope this helps Ajarn

You must have an older model then as the latest E model in the UK are well over £1,200 off the shelf - over 60k. Are you sure yours has a fan and seat? :)

How do you think a rower works, Ajarn? Did you have trouble finding Thailand? :D

I noticed the stuff at central was actually RUSTY! Really badly rusted as well, so I wouldn't recommend buying there.

Coincidentally, just last night I noticed that the Leaders Fitness above the Tesco on Hang Dong Road had a range of gym equipment with price tags on it. I wasn't really paying attention but I saw a gym quality multigym for 28k. They have several stairmasters in the gym so they might have one for sale. As I said, I wasn't really looking

If you're in the area might be worth popping in for a look.

Edited by Theyreallrubbish

How do you think a rower works, Ajarn? Did you have trouble finding Thailand? :D

I could always afford an engine in my boat, so I never rowed. And thank goodness the pilot knew where Thailand was... :D

Because my left side is week, my left arm is almost useless, so I think ths rowing machine is a 'next step' for me, but thanks for the video. Any ideas for something to gain leg strength ? I though a stairmaster would be good, but I have no idea what is available out there...

... snip ... Because my left side is week, my left arm is almost useless

Sawasdee Khrup Khun Ajarn,

If you cannot easily get outside the house, that's one thing : if you can get around Chaing Mai : a few thoughts :

1. you can join the Centara/Duangtawan fitness center for one month for 900 baht and try out all their machines, finding which ones you can use, and which ones you can't : then use that knowledge to select the right one for use at home.

2. buying any piece of equipment for > 60K baht would also pay for more than six years membershiop at a fitness center like Centara/Duangtawan where you have sauna, steam, swimming, etc.

3. if using a stairmaster : you are going to probably need to stabilize your body (depending on your condition, your balance, etc.) with one arm at least on the rails of the stairmaster : will this be comfortable for you ?

4. swimming can be an excellent way to strengthen a "weaker" side of the body; you can move the weaker arm through a wide range of motion against gentle resistance.

Hope this is helpful !

best, ~o:37;

I could always afford an engine in my boat, so I never rowed. And thank goodness the pilot knew where Thailand was... :)

Because my left side is week, my left arm is almost useless, so I think ths rowing machine is a 'next step' for me, but thanks for the video. Any ideas for something to gain leg strength ? I though a stairmaster would be good, but I have no idea what is available out there...

They work the legs really well in a non-impact way; in fact just about any major area you focus on, but especially the quads. You could just rest your weak arm on the handle, take the tension with the right, and then push with the legs. The trouble with the stairmaster or treadmill if you're struggling with your legs is it's going to be tougher going. A bike would be one-up from this but is not as all-round or as comfortable as the rower. Static ones also become tedious.

I've got a really good rowing machine, but I also have arthritis in my wrists and it hurts too much to do it for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time. I would guess that it is impossible if you can only use one arm that works efficiently.

You should definitely try any machine first at least few times to make sure that you don't just waste your money.

I build studio-quality Pilates exercise equipment. But I am in Canada until September. Can you wait?

Cheers,

Mark

(Pilates-Chiangmai)

What type of equipment do they use for Pilates? I thought you just needed a floor...

There are two basic aspects to Pilates work. The first is indeed the 'floor work', done on a mat and without any other equipment.

This is the popular form these days - you find large mat classes in gyms and all over the place. Mat work is important and helps stabilize the whole body with its emphasis on deep core abdominal engagement.

Unfortunately, a group class of 40 people is not a good place to start dealing with injuries etc. Also, there has been a real degradation of teaching quality in the last decade, with people able to get 'qualifications' in teaching mat work in as little as a weekend...

Equipment work - done on some of the most amazing equipment ever made (my opinion!) - is usually rehab or athlete focused. Pilates invented 4 major and another 4 or 5 smaller pieces of equipment. The Reformer, the Wunda Chair, the Cadillac, and the Ladder Barrel are the large ones, with the Spine Corrector, Spine Supporter, Magic Circle, and the Arc Barrel are the important small ones. (Contrary to popular belief, the large Swiss Ball, while used a lot in Pilates, was not invented by Joe himself).

For the last fifteen years the whole rehab profession has been incorporating Pilates methods into its work. It is very common these days to find a Pilates Reformer machine in a rehab or chiropractic setting.

Many athletes and sports-teams have added Pilates to their repertoire and they use a lot of the equipment, as it can take athletes to a much higher plane.

Generally it is only at the Pilates studios that you will find a full complement of equipment, and these are the places that have the higher qualified teachers...

Here are some photos of Pilates equipment in action http://pilates-chiangmai.tripod.com/id7.html

Those are commercial pieces of equipment - the units I build can be seen on the web-site's main page.

Cheers, Mark

ps - I built and sleep in a bed designed by Pilates - amazing. Wake up feeling loose and limber, rather than all stiff.

Hope this helps Ajarn

You must have an older model then as the latest E model in the UK are well over £1,200 off the shelf - over 60k. Are you sure yours has a fan and seat? :)

I am well aware of the price in the UK. The reason that it was so cheap is that it was bought direct from the manufacturer so there was no middle man mark up. The Thai tax on it was only some 5-10%, as it is an exercise machine. So comparing UK price to US direct from factory prices with very little tax and no shop mark up does not really compare, does it Einstein? :D

Edited by mickmac

If you are starting from a relatively weak physical condition I would not recommend a rowing machine yet 9 although i think for real all round fitness they take some beating) but a cross-trainer is very good to start to get the body towards fitness and a decent one only costs about 9000 baht because there is no electric motor needed

Ajarn,

If you have'nt been excercising for awhile maybe you should start with something like this-

NTEX05808_xl.jpg

The Nordic Track website has many many types of machines, maybe you'll find one you like-

Nordic Track

That looks great to me. I would have a place to take a nap too! :)

Have you had a stroke?

Yes, I have had 2 major strokes. The first one 8 years ago affected my walking, the second one, about 2 years ago, affected my legs more, and my voice. I can't sing a note, and I can't walk without help. But my right arm and leg are normal, so I can still drive and work the computer :)

Ajarn,

If you have'nt been excercising for awhile maybe you should start with something like this-

NTEX05808_xl.jpg

The Nordic Track website has many many types of machines, maybe you'll find one you like-

Nordic Track

That looks great to me. I would have a place to take a nap too! :)

It looks very similar to a stationary recumbent bike.