Pattaya Is Finished

thaimate

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pattaya and Thailand in particular were a lot cheaper 10 years ago.

What a profound statement. Are there any places as cheap as they were 10 years ago?

It's the drop in other world currencies against the baht which is the main deterrent to tourism and spending, not prices in Thailand.

What about the Asian financial crisis of 1997 which caused a major collapse in the strength of the baht? That kind of makes a 10 year ago comparison meaningless.

I beleive a 10 year ago comparison is valid, because I feel thats the way Thailand is headed, back to the level of tourists it had 10 or 12 years ago, of course new tourists will arrive, Indians, Chinese etc etc, the farang may well find he is no longer as, hansum as he once thought

We're talking about a cost of living comparison. I can't see how anyone can draw valid conclusions about price differences when they're using a year just after a major currency collapse as their point of reference.

Spent 2 days in Pattaya and it looked like a normal low season to me.

A lot of tourists walking in the streets , but mostly russians and middle eastern people, maybe thats why the business is bad, they cant afford anything .

Edited by balo

Pattaya and Thailand in particular were a lot cheaper 10 years ago.

What a profound statement. Are there any places as cheap as they were 10 years ago?

It's the drop in other world currencies against the baht which is the main deterrent to tourism and spending, not prices in Thailand.

What about the Asian financial crisis of 1997 which caused a major collapse in the strength of the baht? That kind of makes a 10 year ago comparison meaningless.

It was the collapse of the baht 12 years ago which lulled many into a sense of false security, a la the 2 week millionaires getting almost 50 baht to the US$ or 80 plus to the GBP.

I rememeber the average to the £ was in the 38-40 range ( even seen it as low as 32 ), I believe today it was 53, still an increase of about 33%, the US$ was about 33 today, from the 25 baht it was pre 1997, an increase of about 32%.

You are of course correct, its the not the prices in Thailand that are a deterrent,but the price it costs to buy Thai baht that are the deterrent.

Lets say I was spending US$,3000 at an exchange rate of 45 equals 135,000 baht, the same amount of baht would now cost me roughly US$ 3860, an increase of almost 29%, I know no one who has had a salary increase over say the last 4 years of 29%.

Yes I agree with the original staement, Thailand offered better value for money at 25 baht per US$, even allowing for inflation.

What is killing Pattaya is greed, when I read statements such as the property market to increase by 500%

over the next 5 years I ask myself who is making these comments and what vested intrests do they have.

You know as well as I, you could get rid of 50% (at least) of the bars and no one would even know they were gone.

Pattaya will of course reinvent itself and continue, many may not like the direction it takes, will it go back to pre 1997 when many visitors were those expats working in Thailand, those in the offshore industry coming for some r&r or expats working in the middle or far east?

I beleive a 10 year ago comparison is valid, because I feel thats the way Thailand is headed, back to the level of tourists it had 10 or 12 years ago, of course new tourists will arrive, Indians, Chinese etc etc, the farang may well find he is no longer as, hansum as he once thought

The ten year comparison is valid.......some people just don't like or care to even discuss history. And I totally agree with your statement that "What is killing Pattaya is greed." Too bad, it used to be a nice place.

A lot of tourists walking in the streets , but mostly russians and middle eastern people, maybe thats why the business is bad, they cant afford anything .

What a load of bullocks! I heard on Thai news that Russian tourists spend more money in Thailand than any other nationality. Those Russians who travel in Thailand are not from the streets, they are well off people. Just for a notice :)

What a load of bullocks! I heard on Thai news that Russian tourists spend more money in Thailand than any other nationality. Those Russians who travel in Thailand are not from the streets, they are well off people. Just for a notice :)

Sorry but you are mistaken. Some may have money but the majority are poor who have paid for their version of the package holiday and have little left to spend when in resort. Subsidised flights, all in deals etc.

I see it on the ground.

If you actually believe Thai news then you've more problems than than this forum can help with.

Pattaya is not down & out , just resting.

Although it is interesting to note that Phuket & Bangkok are advertised as destinations for vacation in our Newspaper Travel Ads & NO mention of Patts.

Most destination for Tourists are suffering right now , but Malaysia & Bali are offering much , much better deals in the Asian area.

Just got back from a combo of KL & Singapore & it was cheap .....thats what it is all about in my book , value for the Buck.

:)

Many Vietnamese hotels are offering a 30% discount, supported by the government.

It's a <Vietnam 2009> campaign so see your local travel agent.

But don't bring anything you don't want to lose - petty thievery is still alive and well throughout VN.

I was out and about last night, again. Walking Street was very busy. It felt like high season. In fact, all week it's been busy.

That is strange I thought we have even had 2 days that everything was closed,and still it was busy. :)

I was out and about last night, again. Walking Street was very busy. It felt like high season. In fact, all week it's been busy.

even an estate agent in pattaya wouldn't get away with that rubbish :)

Edited by BusyBee123

That is strange I thought we have even had 2 days that everything was closed,and still it was busy. :)

There were plenty of people in Walking Street on the 2 Bhuddist holidays and not everything was closed.

Another busy night tonight.

As a guy who actually lives in the tourist area of Pattaya and gets around the tourist areas everyday, I'm reporting what is actually happening in the streets.

Pattaya is far from finished.

"Manchester nightlife is of course much more lively..." said the fox when he couldn't reach the "sour" grapes :D

"Manchester nightlife is of course much more lively..." said the fox when he couldn't reach the "sour" grapes :D

One possibility: Walking Street is still a bit busy late at night (because of its reputation), but the rest of Pattaya-Jomtien is dead, dead, dead. So using Walking Street as the measuring stick is likely misleading.

All I know is that everyone I talk to tells me Pattaya-Jomtien is dead like they have never see it before. Odd that one unnamed poster sees things so differently.

just spent a week there. Make no mistake Pattaya is Dead with a capitol D! Of course every tourist will gravitate to walking st if they didn't there would be no where else to go as its Dead. I would say at 9pm the crowds are 50% what they used to be. The blues factory had 11 people at 1am. The hard rock hotel cafe you could never get a seat after 10pm but at 11pm the bar area was deserted

Many Vietnamese hotels are offering a 30% discount, supported by the government.

It's a <Vietnam 2009> campaign so see your local travel agent.

But don't bring anything you don't want to lose - petty thievery is still alive and well throughout VN.

Never had any issues in Saigon or on my travels in the delta. It does go on I suppose but so it does everywhere.

Funnily enough my friend who is an Estate agent has seen more buisness this month than the previous months put together.He is not sure though whether its a blip or not,he can only hope .

as for me i still think Pattaya isnt finished ,but will never be an upmarket destination .

There were plenty of people in Walking Street on the 2 Bhuddist holidays and not everything was closed.

Another busy night tonight.

As a guy who actually lives in the tourist area of Pattaya and gets around the tourist areas everyday, I'm reporting what is actually happening in the streets.

Pattaya is far from finished.

I have to agree , I stayed in Pattaya for 2 days on Monday and Tuesday this week and was surprised to see so many people out in the streets. Most of them looked like tourists, a lot of russians and middle easterners, some scandinavians too.

Maybe many bars and restaurants have problems but the street life was busy .

just spent a week there. Make no mistake Pattaya is Dead with a capitol D! Of course every tourist will gravitate to walking st if they didn't there would be no where else to go as its Dead. I would say at 9pm the crowds are 50% what they used to be. The blues factory had 11 people at 1am. The hard rock hotel cafe you could never get a seat after 10pm but at 11pm the bar area was deserted

You spend a week there, and you can now comment on how it is for every week of the year. Of course people who actually live there all year round wouldn't know much, would they?

Pattaya is never "dead".

Odd that one unnamed poster sees things so differently.

Are you in Pattaya, or do you just get your info from talking to people?

Walking Street is the perfect indicator as to how busy Pattaya is. That's where people go at night. That's where I go at night. Right now the whole area is a hive of activity.

Edited by tropo

Walking Street is the perfect indicator as to how busy Pattaya is. That's where people go at night. That's where I go at night. Right now the whole area is a hive of activity.

Where I am living now is irrelevant. What is relevant is that people living in Pattaya are stating it is dead, dead, dead. Many on this thread have stated that.

Waking Street is an indicator. But it is not representative of the whole. Therefore, it is not a perfect indicator. For that, you need a wider sample. Again, people living in Pattaya are stating that "the town is dead."

One of my friends told me Walking Street was a bit of an exception. Again, that means it is not representative of the whole. Having lived in the area for many years, I know that it is an exception because of its reputation.

The only way Walking Street would be a perfect indicator is if it was the only place people went to in Pattaya. You could then ignore the rest of the city..........which you seem to be doing.

You spend a week there, and you can now comment on how it is for every week of the year. Of course people who actually live there all year round wouldn't know much, would they?

Pattaya is never "dead".

You should never assume troppo, I spend a week there every month for years so I get to see the fading of Pattaya in an instant whilst locals don't notice it as much . Bit like getting fat ,you may not notice it straight away but a buddy who hasn't seen you in a few months certainly will (know what I mean?)

Its dead thats a fact but dont panic it will rebound in the next 3-4 years when the global down turn slows and the red shirts ,swine flu etc are forgotten

Edited by zorro1

Things will be fine again soon enough in Pattaya. That is when the world economy is up and running again.

Pattaya being less crowded is nothing more then a temporary dip which has nothing to do with the airport closure last year, nor with farangs being 'targeted' by Thais, nor with some minor unrest between people wearing yellow and people wearing red shirts, even that tsunami some years ago didn't mean anything really (not even in Phuket after 2/3 years), the single reason is the state of the world economy. In one or two years the crowds will have returned.

Such a fuss about nothing.

Edited by MayBeLater

I think the truth comes not from people counting the number of pennyless Ivans on Walking Street but from businesses all over Pattaya. I don't know any businesses owners saying that times are good or even moderate for the year. If there is a crap "high" season, then pull the plug on many people as there is little left in many kitties to last out.

Things will be fine again soon enough in Pattaya. That is when the world economy is up and running again.

Absolutely true.

The Yellow shirts did not totally wreck last high season, but they certainly brought a lot of yearly profit margins down. Let us hope that they have learned their lesson. :)

Pattaya is never "dead".

You should never assume troppo, I spend a week there every month for years so I get to see the fading of Pattaya in an instant whilst locals don't notice it as much . Bit like getting fat ,you may not notice it straight away but a buddy who hasn't seen you in a few months certainly will (know what I mean?)

Its dead thats a fact but dont panic it will rebound in the next 3-4 years when the global down turn slows and the red shirts ,swine flu etc are forgotten

I should never assume? Why not? If you spend 12 weeks a year in Pattaya spread out over the entire year you should have indicated that.

Edited by tropo

Where I am living now is irrelevant. What is relevant is that people living in Pattaya are stating it is dead, dead, dead. Many on this thread have stated that.

Waking Street is an indicator. But it is not representative of the whole. Therefore, it is not a perfect indicator. For that, you need a wider sample. Again, people living in Pattaya are stating that "the town is dead."

One of my friends told me Walking Street was a bit of an exception. Again, that means it is not representative of the whole. Having lived in the area for many years, I know that it is an exception because of its reputation.

The only way Walking Street would be a perfect indicator is if it was the only place people went to in Pattaya. You could then ignore the rest of the city..........which you seem to be doing.

Sorry Texas, but I disagree. Walking Street is a perfect indicator of tourism in Pattaya because most tourists go there.

I think the truth comes not from people counting the number of pennyless Ivans on Walking Street but from businesses all over Pattaya. I don't know any businesses owners saying that times are good or even moderate for the year. If there is a crap "high" season, then pull the plug on many people as there is little left in many kitties to last out.

No one doubts that business in Pattaya is down. What I'm saying is that Pattaya is not dead and certainly not finished.

Starting tonight I shall be taking photos around town to show how lively it still is.

Starting tonight I shall be taking photos around town to show how lively it still is.

Can you go into that gogo bar on the right handside as you get into Walking Street where the girls dress as 1950s air hostess, and take a picture of the girl in a red outfit who hands out the Sambuca and Tequila ... The prettiest girl in all of Pattaya

PS Ive never seen anywhere in LOS as quiet as what Pattaya was last month, maybe itll pick up soon with the summer holiday season only 1 week away.

Edited by sanmiguellight