Painter Needed

I have inadvertantly damaged a condo stairwell carrying furniture through up the staris and have been advised that I need to re-paint the wall. The condo contractor quoted 52,000 baht as he claims that the paint is 'special' and that the entire floor needs to be painted and we cannot just do a 'touch up' job. I know this is <deleted> but need to get a couple of counter quotes. Any advise?

I have inadvertantly damaged a condo stairwell carrying furniture through up the staris and have been advised that I need to re-paint the wall. The condo contractor quoted 52,000 baht as he claims that the paint is 'special' and that the entire floor needs to be painted and we cannot just do a 'touch up' job. I know this is <deleted> but need to get a couple of counter quotes. Any advise?

ask them for the paint spec, and offer to use your contractors?

Sound like a real joke to me.

How many square metres of wall do you need to NOW paint to do the entire floor?

You can go get a 3 gallon can of paint for about 600 baht, a roller tray & roller for 100 baht, a brush for 20 baht and a man will paint it all for about 200-250 baht (days work). JOB DONE!

52,000 baht, thats rediculous, obviously this mans a bit of a <deleted>. :) No doubt the origninal paint job was done with less than grade A paint & heaps of water - thai style :D

It cost me 5,000baht to do my whole house outside and the surrounding walls. This included the paint.

I'd get a private quote without letting on how much the condo contractor has stated. You can then inform him that you can't afford to pay that much since it's costing you 52,000baht to have ATM tatooed on your forehead.

Oh I get it they want you to use the same paint that NASA use on their space shuttles.

Offer to go with him to buy the paint and you pay the paint shop directly, and then have him use his labor at 300 baht a day a person to slap it on the walls, add 2000 baht for his profit and would suspect you can see the whole thing done for a bit less than 52000 baht.

Edited by Rimmer

How damaged is the wall? Is reconstruction work involved as well? If so, that could boost the price a bit, but agree that B52,000 sounds a bit high.

How visible is the stairwell wall that the entire floor needs to be painted (presumably so everything matches)? Many condo stairwells are off in isolated corners, if not enclosed behind doors on each floor.

Only paint scratches. No chips or anything. I have had 2 seperate independant quotes and they have come in at 20k and 25k. I will get a 3rd one tomorrow. The damage was done carrying a piece of furniture up the stairs and it seems that one corner of the furniture was touching the wall fairly frequently.

The chappy was talking it big, threatening a jail term if the damages weren't repaired. Quite funny really.

Take a ton of pictures ASAP together with the days newspaper. That way you can avoid "additional" claims.

Post said pics here and let us see the 52,000 baht worth of damage.

Hire a painter for the day, as many have suggested, go to home pro and ask them for paint. Pay the painter generously (500 baht per day) for a 3 day job and you have a spectacularly done wall.

Start by calling Home Pro. www.homepro.co.th

They are always helpful.

Paint chips and scrapes are a pretty normal thing to happen in a building and the people paid to maintain the building should be perfectly well equipped to repair minor damage at a moment's notice. This is just opportunism. I would offer them a couple of 1000 baht as a take it or leave it offer.

Come on get real, 52k, 20k, 25k.....these are all airy fairy quotes. It sounds like you need to get a thai friend to help you with this one, you must have SUCKER written on your forehead......firkurnell.

How does anyone even know who caused this damage?

If it was you, give yourself and uppercut and take more care in the future, ur kinda leading with ur chin.

• 2 weeks later...

ask them for the paint spec, and offer to use your contractors?

We've used a CM company called NewLook InteriorPaint&Design with excellent results. 'Believe they advertise here. Give them a call - you'll be surprised!

• 1 year later...

If it's just a "touch up job" why not just buy a can of paint and a brush and do it yourself in a hours or so?

You can get good quality washable paint for about 1400THB per 2.5 gallon, which should be plenty to touch up any marks.

Edited by dave111223