Help! Non-immigrant Ed & O Visas

Hello,

hope I can find some help on here as my wife and I are now thoroughly confused and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I (both UK citizens) plan to move to Phuket where our 3 children will be attending the British School starting in August of this year.

The school has advised us that we as parents should apply to the Thai Embassy in Tokyo, where we currently live, for 90 day Non-Immigrant O visas.

We would also submit Non-Immigrant ED visa applications for our children.

Once in Phuket we could then apply for a 12 month extension for all of us based as guardians of our 3 children.

The problem we have found is that Tokyo Thai embassy will not issue a Non-Im O visa to the father in this situation, but only to the mother.

We pointed this out to the school to which they said the law has changed and it should be allowed.

However, we have also found out that Singapore will not issue them either, and its highly unlikely in HK unless we plead "special circumstances".

What are the options left open to me as a father here? Apply for a tourist visa (are they 60 or 90 days)?

What would I have to do after that? Could I extend it once in Thailand or would I have to go out of the country every so often to get a new one? How many times could I do this given we intend to live in thailand for at least the next 5 years or so like this (then i can apply for a retirement visa once I reach 50).

Can one apply for subsequent tourist visas from neighbouring countries where one is not resident (eg, HK or singapore)?

The school also said that the Thai embassy in KL does issue Non-Imm O visas to the father as well as the mother, so it seems the rules are applied differently depending on the location of the embassy. (I will be calling the one in London tonight to find out what they say).

Can anyone help on this or have you encountered this situation yourselves and how were you able to get round it please?

Many many thanks in advance.

This has come up before and the embassy mentioned was Singapore.

It probably would be best for you to get a tourist visa and travel here. Then go to KL for your visa. Flights to KL from Phuket are relatively inexpensive if purchased in advance.

Are you aware that to get an extension of stay at immigration you will need to show 500,000 baht in a Thai bank for 30 days before applying for the extension.

It probably would be best for you to get a tourist visa and travel here. Then go to KL for your visa. Flights to KL from Phuket are relatively inexpensive if purchased in advance.

Are you aware that to get an extension of stay at immigration you will need to show 500,000 baht in a Thai bank for 30 days before applying for the extension.

Thanks for that. Yes we were told by the school that we would need BHT500k for each of myself and my wife for 3 months prior, updated passbook and recent statements. So at least that is sorted out.

You think I could apply for the visa from KL even though I would not be a resident there? As on the forms it asks for current and permanent address (i guess my current address at that time will be Phuket and permanent one I could put an address in UK or omit altogether?)

From limited reports Immigration has not been happy to issue extensions of stay for education to both parents (even when two children/deposits involved) so you may have further issues. Although your UK passports may be helpful.

If you have issues you can most likely obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Perth that would allow 90 day stays for 15 months before another required.

Thanks for that. Yes we were told by the school that we would need BHT500k for each of myself and my wife for 3 months prior, updated passbook and recent statements. So at least that is sorted out.

You think I could apply for the visa from KL even though I would not be a resident there? As on the forms it asks for current and permanent address (i guess my current address at that time will be Phuket and permanent one I could put an address in UK or omit altogether?)

Not a problem to get your visa in KL. Expats from here make trips there for a visas all the time. I think the school probably has good info on where to go for the visa.

For the extensions I think they should be able help with those also.

From limited reports Immigration has not been happy to issue extensions of stay for education to both parents (even when two children/deposits involved) so you may have further issues. Although your UK passports may be helpful.

If you have issues you can most likely obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa from Perth that would allow 90 day stays for 15 months before another required.

Not sure if this would be a solution or if it would be frowned upon...

If two children, would it be possible to competely separate the visa applications for each child and each parent?

Dad takes chil #1 and apply's for ED visa and Extension on Non Im visa. If you can not get one over seas, could dad get his tourist visa and change in Thailand to Non O and then extend in Thailand?

Mom get's her Non O over seas based upon Child #2 and extends in Thailand? She also handles the Visa request for Child #2.

Is this possible? I presume if it is, then they would each need 500k in separate accounts for a total of 1 mil?

Edited by CWMcMurray

Thanks again everyone.

But bloody hel_l Lite Beer...you werent wrong. I spoke to the London Embassy and they were especially unhelpful.

I spoke to the Hull Consulate (apparently the oldest one in UK) and they were extremely helpful.

Im visiting my parents in a few weeks time and I think I will take the trip up to Hull from London just to get this done.

The lad basically gteed both my wife and I a Non-Imm O visa based on the fact we will have 3 kids studying in Thailand.

Amazed how good their website is and how helpful the 2 people I spoke to were.

Once again, Lite Beer, thanks very much