Annual Barbecue

happyvalleylady

location for party  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

....if it were in rawai we probably wouldnt take our dogs (shihtzus) as it would be a bit too far for us on the bike as opposed to the brewery which is close to where we live :)

date sounds good to us though wherever it is, looking foward to it!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....if it were in Rawai we probably wouldn't take our dogs (shihtzus) as it would be a bit too far for us on the bike as opposed to the brewery which is close to where we live :D

date sounds good to us though wherever it is, looking forward to it!

Not a problem, I'm sure we can arrange transport for you and your shithzus and for anyone one else for that matter.

Black , white , yellow, pink, Dogs, cats, monkeys, even humans, all welcome. Life ain't a dream, it's something to be lived. Let's party, let's make it better than the last and get rid of all this prevailing negativity.

:D:D:)

HB's not on at the moment, but I'm sure (as the voluntary organiser) he wouldn't mind. and I'm sure the rest of us would appreciate it so that the preferred venue can be finalised. Thanks sbk.

Perhaps there needs to be two annual events.

A kids, dogs, people friendly BBQ for the family oriented members, and then a Pattaya-style beer bar and whatever piss up for others who prefer a different type of evening out?

Perhaps there needs to be two annual events.

A kids, dogs, people friendly BBQ for the family oriented members, and then a Pattaya-style beer bar and whatever piss up for others who prefer a different type of evening out?

Now that's good thinking.

and there was also Donna suggestion of anyone posting that they'll be in the "Sloppy Bar" from 8:00 pm Sat next "Be there or Else" ........... :)

Good idea bags - after all, these things started as p1ss-ups, so two separate events would seem a good idea. Of course, you won't get TV supporting the both of them, because it involves travel expenses and time for TV staff (probably the major consideration) as well as the cost of food and refreshments. If the majority want the TV event as a family oriented event, so be it, but it's of no interest to me.

Good idea bags - after all, these things started as p1ss-ups, so two separate events would seem a good idea. Of course, you won't get TV supporting the both of them, because it involves travel expenses and time for TV staff (probably the major consideration) as well as the cost of food and refreshments. If the majority want the TV event as a family oriented event, so be it, but it's of no interest to me.

As is quite healthy in a forum is differing opinions. No worries, I'm easy.

I too am a dog lover and have multiple hounds, but I don't envision a get together party featuring or allowing dogs. I'm also not opposed to a family oriented party, and a pissup at two seperate venues and dates. BTW fiddlehead does a great job of playing music and entertaining.

I too am a dog lover and have multiple hounds, but I don't envision a get together party featuring or allowing dogs. I'm also not opposed to a family oriented party, and a pissup at two seperate venues and dates. BTW fiddlehead does a great job of playing music and entertaining.

i think if we are to allow dogs or children then it would be wise to have some ground rules, like children should be kept on a leash, whoops meat the dogs fruodien slip. :)

Frankly, the people I know on this Forum are active, meaning hoisting marginal tasting beers (marginal at best !) at an inland home brewpub will be dead boring. Also, doesn't seem like much of a "BBQ party". So Ping, like you something at The Phuket Brewery has no interest for me. I'll be on the beach surfing and playing volleyball, instead of farting up bad beer.

Also, from last years venue and experience it seems that most here would rather remain anonymous which means very little socializing. Yeah, lets have a party where people don't talk to each other...................WHOOOPIE!

So it looks like it'll be Donna's suggestion of an informal something. Maybe we'll drink Bier Lao at Nikitas, at least that's some good beer.

-OUT- HB

Is that he wind I hear flapping Ping's avatar or the wind going out of the sails regarding this BBQ?

Frankly, the people I know on this Forum are active, meaning hoisting marginal tasting beers (marginal at best !) at an inland home brewpub will be dead boring. Also, doesn't seem like much of a "BBQ party". So Ping, like you something at The Phuket Brewery has no interest for me. I'll be on the beach surfing and playing volleyball, instead of farting up bad beer.

Also, from last years venue and experience it seems that most here would rather remain anonymous which means very little socializing. Yeah, lets have a party where people don't talk to each other...................WHOOOPIE!

So it looks like it'll be Donna's suggestion of an informal something. Maybe we'll drink Bier Lao at Nikitas, at least that's some good beer.

-OUT- HB

Perplexing given your prior comment of, 'As is quite healthy in a forum is differing opinions. No worries, I'm easy.'

So am I to take it that you are only prepared to organise the event if it is at your choice of venue and on your terms? Well if it's any consolation, your chosen venue is currently one vote ahead, but it seems from your latest posting that you are withdrawing the offer to organise. Is that the case?

Is that he wind I hear flapping Ping's avatar or the wind going out of the sails regarding this BBQ?

-OUT- HB

Perplexing given your prior comment of, 'As is quite healthy in a forum is differing opinions. No worries, I'm easy.'

So am I to take it that you are only prepared to organise the event if it is at your choice of venue and on your terms? Well if it's any consolation, your chosen venue is currently one vote ahead, but it seems from your latest posting that you are withdrawing the offer to organise. Is that the case?

Good luck with the poll, yes, a whopping 9 votes we've got there, it proves a lot. Maybe it's 10 now? HOORAY !

I don't see anything to organize Mr. Ping, it's not a cohesive group so as I stated it looks as if the wind is out of the sails, fruit withering on the vine, whatever other cliche you want to throw in there

We have quite a few forum members here in Phuket, but it appears that most either don't want to come, or don't want to have any say in the matter. I would have thought we could at least get 40 BM's here to cast a vote one way or another.

I would probably be up for coming if its at the end of August and still happening? Im a bit hesitant to make arrangements yet though cos i dont arrive until the star of August. Would be me and the mrs...no kids no dogs.

Why are people so eager to stay annonymous? It seems like a good shout to have a BBQ where you can get to know other members...

I would probably be up for coming if its at the end of August and still happening? Im a bit hesitant to make arrangements yet though cos i dont arrive until the star of August. Would be me and the mrs...no kids no dogs.

Why are people so eager to stay annonymous? It seems like a good shout to have a BBQ where you can get to know other members...

Jeez i just read this thread all the way through and didnt realise a couple of things.

Is it only aimed at long term members?

Is the BBQ completeely free for food and drinks; If this rules some members out can they pay and still come?

Can I come if its happening? lol

I really hope we can can get this gig off the ground 25 or 30 people would make it valid, maybe we need to re think the venue.

kids dogs cats rat and bunny's welcome.

can we get something going

And I dont expect anything free.Afterall this is Thailand.

Past experience is that people tend to jump on board once the thing is finalised, but so far only 13 people have voted and some of those are only prepared to attend if it is held at a certain venue. If people want a TV sponsored event, there will need to be considerably more people who will commit to attending at any chosen venue. However, in my view, TV events should be for members and a friend/spouse. They are not family days. Thus the 'one guest only' rule. The venue should reflect accordingly. (Just my opinion.) I would attend any location under that stipulation, but unless more members show interest, these seems to be no point pursuing this as a TV sponsored event at this particular point in time. (The poll seems to have served only to divide.)

(Peterocket - these events are open to people who contribute to TV [youself included]. Rules are put in place to prevent people from joining TV for the sole purpose of being eligible to go to the event. Though this may seem odd, the experience of the event at the Rattri two years ago, which had less stringent rules, was that quite a few people joined TV, made one post [and attended the event] and were never heard from again. The term used on the night was 'freeloaders', and there were plenty of them. Presumably they were friends of other TV members and joined to get around the 'one guesty only' rule.)

Yes, this is a bit mind-boggling to me also.

Thai Visa is the most popular forum in Thailand with lots of action everyday. Meaning, many are interested in what's going on.

But, when it comes down to a party to meet in person, only a handfull are interested.

Possibly reasons:

1/ many are unsociable and prefer to hide behind their computer screen

2/ some have had "hot-headed" arguments with fellow members and are afraid of a confrontation.

3/ too many live too far away and don't wanna drink and drive

4/ prior commitments

Anyway, the one last year at Friendship Beach was lots of fun and I met some very interesting people.

Got to meet a few "famous" ones too. (In my mind anyway)

At this one, i'd love to see Huggy and LivingKata shake hands. Maybe they already even know each other and don't realize it???

Past experience is that people tend to jump on board once the thing is finalised, but so far only 13 people have voted and some of those are only prepared to attend if it is held at a certain venue. If people want a TV sponsored event, there will need to be considerably more people who will commit to attending at any chosen venue. However, in my view, TV events should be for members and a friend/spouse. They are not family days. Thus the 'one guest only' rule. The venue should reflect accordingly. (Just my opinion.) I would attend any location under that stipulation, but unless more members show interest, these seems to be no point pursuing this as a TV sponsored event at this particular point in time. (The poll seems to have served only to divide.)

(Peterocket - these events are open to people who contribute to TV [youself included]. Rules are put in place to prevent people from joining TV for the sole purpose of being eligible to go to the event. Though this may seem odd, the experience of the event at the Rattri two years ago, which had less stringent rules, was that quite a few people joined TV, made one post [and attended the event] and were never heard from again. The term used on the night was 'freeloaders', and there were plenty of them. Presumably they were friends of other TV members and joined to get around the 'one guesty only' rule.)

Ok well i reckon im up for it...i'll keep an eye out to see if it happens

Not quite sure why it says "you have already voted in this pole" when I havent voted on anything!?

Not quite sure why it says "you have already voted in this pole" when I havent voted on anything!?

Think you clicked on to look at the poll results, and that means you made a null (no) vote. Once you do that your vote (null) has been cast and you can't vote again.

My random thoughts about this:

So are we looking at a pissup/meetup, or a BBQ?  Brewery would be perfect for a pissup, but not BBQ as I can't see management giving us the go ahead for a BBQ at their establishement...although I may be wrong.

Why are forum members so reluctant to meet each other? fiddlehead touched on this, but I'm still at a loss as to why members don't want to know their fellow BM's.

Where are the forum moderators in this as I can't see them in this thread at all, except for snipping posts, but no real imput or leading by example.

New members, old members and everyone else involved should be able to attend if you have given some time and input into TV, Phuket :).

My random thoughts about this:

So are we looking at a pissup/meetup, or a BBQ?  Brewery would be perfect for a pissup, but not BBQ as I can't see management giving us the go ahead for a BBQ at their establishement...although I may be wrong.

Why are forum members so reluctant to meet each other? fiddlehead touched on this, but I'm still at a loss as to why members don't want to know their fellow BM's.

Where are the forum moderators in this as I can't see them in this thread at all, except for snipping posts, but no real imput or leading by example.

New members, old members and everyone else involved should be able to attend if you have given some time and input into TV, Phuket :).

well i will still but you the beer that was in my snipped post re the re run concert in Laguna on the 17th on another topic. Maybe that concert could be the TV get together we all wear a white rose or something :D

So far this topic is a member generated discussion about whether Thaivisa will have an official get together & BBQ this year. It was suggested by Forum Admin (sbk) that if enough members were interested then a request should be made to Thaivisa to host an official Thaivisa event. I'm not aware that Thaivisa have yet agreed to sponsor this event.

Speaking for myself, for a variety of reasons, it is unliklely that I will attend any member get-together whether official or unofficial.