What Happened To Affordable Peanut Butter?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friendship recently started stocking a Mission PB with only peanuts and a hint of salt and its terrific...

What do you mean by recently? There was no Mission PB of any kind there a few days ago, not even a empty shelf slot for it.

Substitute peanuts for garbanzo beans, and voila... peanut butter.

But I've never done that or researched it before... All I know is, around my home here in BKK, there are always guys in the street selling in-shell peanuts. But the one time I tried them, they were soggy and soft... clearly not dry roasted.

Anyone want to chime in with tips on where to buy the right kind of peanuts here, and what recipe to use for a food processor. Having homemade peanut butter without all the oils and preservatives and chemicals might be kinda nice!!!!

My wife buy's the "Soggy peanuts" all the time .... I toast them in a wok with a little oil, on a low flame, just make sure you keep them moving or they burn quickly, 5 to 6 min and give one a taste, (Caution!! Rocket hot!!) add a pinch of salt, or what ever flavors you like,... will take a few tries till you get the hang of it, so don't put all your nuts in one basket,.... till your confident....

Next stop, home made peanut butter..... Never tried it, but a pestle and morter might do the trick......

S.J.C

Ahh...I wondered what the Thai vendors here were doing with their peanuts... they looked good from the outside....but when I tried some.... YUCK!!!!!.... That's one Thai food custom I won't be adopting... steamed peanuts???? You gotta be sh--ing me..... :D

:)

Steamed peanuts is a very southern thing in teh US.  Jimmy Carter swears by steaming them.

I don't know if the Thai version is anythign close to the US version, though.

Additives or not, I am a Skippy Creamy man myself.  At least once a week here in Thailand, I make a peanut butter, huckleberry jam, and Miracle Whip sandwich.  Love them!  :D

You know...that raises an interesting question... See, talking about peanut butter opens all kinds of doors...

Back in the U.S., there are, depending on where you live, some pretty reliable retail markets for purchasing healthy foods, and of course tons of online/delivery options... Trader Joe's in California and Whole Foods Markets are among the prominent store retailers, and I'm sure there are other smaller regional outlets in other parts of the country...

But what about here in Thailand and Bangkok in particular??? I've yet to come across anything that comes close to being an overall source for healthy/health/natural foods. As Colin points out above, it seems you've gotta run here for this and there for that in order to find these kinds of things, and it's always a bit hit and miss as to whether a particular item is in stock...

Thus, anyone know of a good, overall source for health/healthy/natural foods products here in Thailand and BKK in particular???? Or failing that, what option would be as close as we can get???

It was available in the Central Food Hall in Central World last time I looked. The nearest substitute I have found when they are temporarily out of stock is Healthy Mate Unsweetened Extra Crunch, this is just as good but more expensive. Also, it is NOT IN THE PB SHELF AREA! It is on the Organic shelves.

I'll have a look next time I'm in the area and update the availability. I do find I get quite a lot of exercise running round different shops trying to eat healthily!

I like Whole Foods (or WHole Paycheck, as it is known), but I LOVE Trader Joe's.  They are one of my biggest US customers, but I am one of their most loyal customers as well.  It would be great to see them open up a store in BKK, but really, I would love to see any similar-type store open here.

I make a peanut butter, huckleberry jam, and Miracle Whip sandwich.
Miracle Whip? That sounds like one of those "You know you're a redneck if ... jokes.

I love that stuff much better than mayo (except for on my French Fries where only real quality mayo will do.)

The Miracle Whip is the Marine part. Only a Marine can keep it down! :)

Note the miracle whip goes on a peanut/jelly sandwich. UG your credibility/standing as a expert of fine eating establishments and the cuisine they serve will probably fall to a new level. I am not thinking in 4 star range either.

Mission update!

My wife has just spent 15 minutes on the phone to Mission (02 598 3812-3). They are no longer going to sell jars of PB in shops, but they are still making it in 1kg bags for sale to factories. I assume these are food factories making PB based products and not that PB has been discovered to be a miracle lubricant for machine tools.

They still have some of the jars in stock and you can ring up and order them in boxes of six and they will post them to you while stocks last. I don't know if they will do the same for the 1kg bags when the jars run out.

As from next week, they will be selling PB from a booth at the Ekamai International School of Seventh Day Adventists, 57 Soi Pridibanomyong 31, 37 Sukhumvit 71 Road, Vadhana District Bangkok, Thailand 10110. Map: http://www.eis.ac.th//index.php?option=com...6&Itemid=73

Hope this helps. Happy eating!

P. S. What is Miracle Whip?

Thanks very much, Colin, for running down the answer to this... I had send them an email via their web site, but they never responded to it...

About their upcoming booth selling PB at the school, do you know, are they going to be selling the smaller jars there or the larger 1 kg bags???

PS - Did you get the sense if they have any English speakers answering their phones, or do we need to be calling in Thai, if we wanted to order a case of PB jars???

Thanks again!!!

The peanut butter and huckleberry jam part sounds great.

The addition of Miracle Whip to the above makes me want to heave... :)

Give it a try sometime!  You might be surprised.  :D

I sometimes think "no way" when presetned with some sort of weird combination, but then it actually turns out great.  The Taiwan pratice of making deep-fried shrimp which is then coated with an awful-looking mayo and canned fruit cocktail conncoction comes to mind.  Looks and sounds horrible, but actually tastes quite good.

P. S. What is Miracle Whip?

Miracle Whip is a tangy mayo substitute. It is generically referred to as a "salad dressing," although is it sold alongside the mayo, not the bottled salad dressings.  There are other types, but Miracle Whip is my favorite one.

I keep well stocked here, and I love it on my pork burgers. Several Thai friends who eat with me on occasion love it as well and lather tons of it on different foods where I never considered using it (in Thailand, I use it for pork burgers, sandwiches, potato salad, and the Hebrew National Fransk I bring back.)

Edited by bonobo

All this talk of PB is giving me a hankering for the stuff.... my 2-y/o son loves it too - as in a PB&J sandwich.

Since I am die-hard do-it-yourselfer... gonna go pick up a bag of raw skinned peanuts and roast them in my oven. I prefer baking them as opposed to pan-roasting, as baking yields a more even roast... and I would think this is critical for a good homemade PB.

I have peanut oil on hand, as I cook a lot of Chinese food.... and hopefully my food processor will pulverize them to a nice paste.

Wish me luck.... exciting.

Was shopping in Tesco Lotus today, and took particular attention to look at their nuts section. On first glance there, they had a lot of small packages of different nuts, but nothing bulk for use in making homemade peanut butter.

Then in a totally separate part of the store, the last food aisle before the clothing section, they have some larger bulk products and I discovered a variety of larger nuts packages there. Several were with shells or skins on.

One was Khaothong brand "hulled peanuts," with skins off. 500 gram blue package for 33.50 baht. Tesco had their own brand of hulled peanuts, a 450 gram package, for like 38 baht. Looks like the Khaothong brand are neither salted nor roasted, but no problem to do that at home.

I'm guessing these are a better starting point for homemade peanut butter than the steamed peanuts found on the streets. First try at homemade coming soon....

Was shopping in Tesco Lotus today, and took particular attention to look at their nuts section. On first glance there, they had a lot of small packages of different nuts, but nothing bulk for use in making homemade peanut butter.

Then in a totally separate part of the store, the last food aisle before the clothing section, they have some larger bulk products and I discovered a variety of larger nuts packages there. Several were with shells or skins on.

One was Khaothong brand "hulled peanuts," with skins off. 500 gram blue package for 33.50 baht. Tesco had their own brand of hulled peanuts, a 450 gram package, for like 38 baht. Looks like the Khaothong brand are neither salted nor roasted, but no problem to do that at home.

I'm guessing these are a better starting point for homemade peanut butter than the steamed peanuts found on the streets. First try at homemade coming soon....

That exactly what I just bought for my home PB project... as stated directly above your post. :)

I plan to slow roast them in my oven until a nice color and aroma are achieved.

Any suggestions on what temperature and how long??? :)

I will start off at the lower end of the usual temperature range 162-177C (325-350F).

Time approx 15-20 min. in a pre-heated oven - use an aluminum pan, not steel.

Careful, as nuts will continue to cook after removed from the oven - so remove when they look "almost" done.

Takes a bit of trial and error to get it right... but I've roasted nuts many times for other purposes.

However, I want to get them just right for my PB.

UPDATE:

OK, I roasted the peanuts... a 450gm bag of Tesco brand "peeled peanut" - which are actually nice large sized raw peanuts ready to go. Very easy. I just put them in a single layer (took 3 small aluminum baking pans). However, the time was different than expected, or perhaps my cheapo gas oven was telling me the wrong temp. Had to shake the pans of peanuts up, to get them to turn for a more even roasting, about midway through the baking time.

Anyway, the oven said 160C, but it took more like 35-40 minutes to get a nice golden tan on all the peanuts. Either way, looks like they came out just the way I was shooting for.... now for grinding to a paste with some salt, a bit of sugar (or maybe honey?), and peanut oil. Will update that later....

BTW, fresh out of the oven, the roasted peanuts smell absolutely awesome... now my stomach is growling...

post-62785-1246508472_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChefHeat

OK, here is my final product.... nice smooth peanut butter.

I used a 700 watt food processor to get a nice texture.

Added 1/4-cup peanut oil to 450gm roasted peanuts.

Added brown sugar and honey to taste... as well as about 3/4 ts salt.

It came out delicious, I must say, and am surprised the texture came out as smooth as it did.

Color came out about right as well. Friction from the processor warmed up the peanut butter, so it was semi-liquid when pouring out into the container. Not to worry, it will firm up in the fridge. I will use some of this to make a peanut butter and banana pie with shaved chocolate on top. Mmmmm.

Total cost 500gm of peanut butter: about 50 baht and a little time. Nice.

post-62785-1246514165_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChefHeat

MMMMmmmm... Looks good... I'm about a day or two behind you on this...

Excited to try... Never tried homemade peanut butter before...

Here's the peanuts I bought at Tesco for this purpose....

post-53787-1246515194_thumb.jpg

And here's Tesco's own brand, slightly smaller quantity

post-53787-1246515231_thumb.jpg

It came out delicious, I must say, and am surprised the texture came out as smooth as it did.

Color came out about right as well. Friction from the processor warmed up the peanut butter, so it was semi-liquid when pouring out into the container. Not to worry, it will firm up in the fridge. I will use some of this to make a peanut butter and banana pie with shaved chocolate on top. Mmmmm.

yeah...looks good. Peanut butter and bananas also make a dynamite sandwich, btw. Chefheat...I'd be interested to know if you used a professional quality food processor for this project; is 700W a standard rating for a home kitchen type apparatus available in Thailand? I was planning to buy one as I have other recipies in mind as well like hoummus and baba ganoush (made with tahina hand carried from the Middle East, substitute limes for the lemons, etc.)

yeah...looks good. Peanut butter and bananas also make a dynamite sandwich, btw. Chefheat...I'd be interested to know if you used a professional quality food processor for this project; is 700W a standard rating for a home kitchen type apparatus available in Thailand? I was planning to buy one as I have other recipies in mind as well like hoummus and baba ganoush (made with tahina hand carried from the Middle East, substitute limes for the lemons, etc.)

Actually I had to look far and wide to find a good processor. Most of the crap I see on the shelves in the major stores are anywhere from 350w to 450w - max I've seen at the big stores was about 600w. Can't quite remember where I found this one, though.... perhaps Verasu? Its not exactly "professional", but a pretty good home processor. Made in France, a Ronic "Original 20", 700w.

MMMMmmmm... Looks good... I'm about a day or two behind you on this...

Excited to try... Never tried homemade peanut butter before...

Here's the peanuts I bought at Tesco for this purpose....

post-53787-1246515231_thumb.jpg

Yes, those are the same Tesco brand peanuts that I used.

They don't suck. Actually worked pretty darned good.

Edited by ChefHeat

That looks absolutely delicious... maybe you need to add that to your product line :)

Y'know, as I was tasting it for the first time....the thought did cross my mind. :D

I even said something to my wife to that effect.... heheh.

That looks absolutely delicious... maybe you need to add that to your product line :)

Y'know, as I was tasting it for the first time....the thought did cross my mind. :D

I even said something to my wife to that effect.... heheh.

Great idea! You can count on us Udonites to be happy customers.

One of Elvis's favorite sandwiches:

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recip...ain_pbsand.html

Elvis Presley's Grilled Peanut Butter

and Banana Sandwich

• 2 slices of white bread
  • 2 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
  • 1 small ripe banana mashed
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the mashed banana on the other. Press the slices gently together. Melt the butter (or to be truly Elvis-like, melt bacon fat!), over low heat in a small frying pan. Place the sandwich in the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides. Eat it with a glass of buttermilk. Please note: Elvis tended to eat 12-15 sandwiches a sitting! So belly up!

I usually thinly slice the bananas lengthwise, gently brown the slices in butter, then put them inside the sandwich and grill as directed above. I also like to use whole wheat bread instead of the white.

Edited by maxjay