Wtf Does Ornamental Grass Grow In Cm?

jackr

I know I can buy this mondo-type grass at the market but am intrigued if and where it grows in the wild here as I'm not too entralled about spending billions of baht on grass...

I know I can buy this mondo-type grass at the market but am intrigued if and where it grows in the wild here as I'm not too entralled about spending billions of baht on grass...

Billions of baht? They cost between 2,0-3,5 Baht per clump. A nice garden won't set you back that much.

That's usually not very legal... Most areas that you'd call 'the wilds' are national parks. Most other areas are privately owned. The only grassy stuff you'll find in whatever remains is that shitty thorny maiarab stuff.

I agree with you that plants can be expensive.. It pays someitmes to find a wholesaler or grower, instead of just driving the ol' Fortuner around Kham Thiang.

We had this ornamental grass at our home when we lived south of Houston. The serious gardeners would dig it up every three or four years, divide the clumps, replant some smaller clumps and give the remaining clumps to their friends. Maybe you can find someone with a mature planting and offer to thin it for them. The thinned plants do look sparse for a couple of months, but eventually the planting area fills in with fresher, better looking young growth.

Much better than stealing plants from someone else's (or public) property.

Also, a grower may be able to sell you a larger quantity of small plugs or liners -- the young plants they buy and grow on for a while before they sell them to the public.

Yeah, I was hardly going to do a Pink Panther in the moobahn. I was thinking it might grow in a swampy area in the arse end of CM or sommat - 1) for the fun of it, and 2) not having to pay for it. Anyway, bought a second batch in the end to cut out the middle man. They're full enough to get two or three from one. Cheers

Btw, <deleted> does ornamental grass grow in the wild? Google's not letting on. :)

Well, yes, some ornamental grasses grow "in the wild". We used to live near Detroit and one particular species has "escaped" from landscapes and taken over drainage ditches and low areas along the freeways. I kind of like it; it looks like pampas grass, but it is very large and invasive and I know the highway dept people hate it and the nature people hate it because it crowds out the native species that support animals and birds.

But, in general what we buy as ornamental grass for the landscape isn't really "wild". Instead, someone discovered a particularly attractive clump of grass or specfically bred a variety of grass. Once they had a clump that was good, they cloned offspring, perhaps through tissue culture or by dividing the clump, as I suggested in a previous posting. Other ornamental plants are cloned by rooting cuttings, but I don't think that's the case with grasses.

Chances are pretty good that all your mondo grass is genetically identical and wouldn't spread very far without human intervention.

Can we try typing English here please. :)

As far as the lazy way of typing goes <deleted> stands for What The F&^*k so you typing <deleted> does grass grow doesn't quite fit.

I would suggest if you want decent grass then go to a nursery and buy some turf rather than try to find out where to rip it off ? :D