Footwear Store In Geneva Uses Buddha Statue To Hang Shoes

ahkuoi

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Shop-in...how/4703382.cms I read this article and feel sad, Budha is revered as God in many countries, the shop owner should have known that; what if somebody in Asia put shoes around Jesus' s statue or holy cross, we all might offended. I hope somebody will correct it.

[b]Footwear store in Geneva uses Buddha statue to hang shoes [/b]26Jun 2009, 0004 hrs IST, Pranava K Chaudhary, TNN PATNA: Sight-seeing in Switzerland does not leave a vacationer horrified, but Patna's Prabhat Choudhary, his wife and daughter were shocked to see a Lord Buddha statue garlanded with a pair of shoes at a footwear shop in Geneva.

"We were strolling on shopping street when my 15-year-old daughter insisted that we got into 'Anne Fontaine', a designer footwear shop. There in the shop, we saw a 4-ft statue of Lord Buddha on the shelf displaying shoes and slippers, garlanded with a pair of shoes," Prabhat, a realtor, recalled.

The family was shocked. Prabhat's daughter, was furious. Though her parents were a bit frightened, she persuaded them to let her shoot the sight with her videocam. The girl, a student of Patna's prestigious Notre Dame Academy, accomplished her mission without anyone - the shop staff or the crowd of customers - knowing about it.

Back home, Prabhat has sent a letter to the ministry of external affairs, requesting it to take up the matter with Swiss authorities.

post-84101-1245973989_thumb.jpg

Edited by ahkuoi

I think it is very sad that people go to such extremes as to report people for doing what they want in a democratic country. They need to get a life.

Just because Thailand has a hang up about certain things doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to bow down to them. It's my business if I want to put such a statue in my garden, upside down and use it as a flower pot, not the OP's.

I think it is very sad that people go to such extremes as to report people for doing what they want in a democratic country. They need to get a life.

Just because Thailand has a hang up about certain things doesn't mean that the rest of the world has to bow down to them. It's my business if I want to put such a statue in my garden, upside down and use it as a flower pot, not the OP's.

I don't think that was the issue what you may or may not do with a statue, it was about being shocked IMHO.

One situation I've run into here in Bangkok is Thai wearing Christian Crosses as earrings or even on t-shirts. When I can I casually ask if they are Christian or Catholic and usually the answer I get is no. I ask why are they wearing these symbols and they say quite simply for fashion. I then usually say...oh I see, then it would be ok for me to wear Buddha earrings or the like? Of course the answer I get back is...cannot!

Before moving to Thailand, I had a Buddha statue in my house as pure decoration, as it meant nothing to mean other than that. Again, I don't really see why the OP is shocked as the Buddha statue was purely just for decoration and was probably not meant to be offensive.

Maybe you didn't notice, but this was not a Thai person complaining. It was an Indian person. From India.

And people have every right to complain, send letters, or protest if they desire.

That even well educated Thais have absolutely no clue about Western ways of looking at things says a lot. No Westerner would be disrespectful. It's simple ignorance compared with a western kind of an aesthetic fashion element to place a Buddha statue this way.

That even some poster here don't know that, is more than ignorant.

What does a Prabhat think tourists do with all the Buddha images and statues they take home from various places??

What does a Prabhat think about the ban to take Buddha statues out of Thailand??

What has a Prabhat done when the Taliban destroyed one of the biggest Buddha statues in the world for religious, or better in that case, political reasons??

Lets just be glad that buddhists aren't killing and terrorizing people all over the world in the name of their faith.

This reminds of the murder of Theo Van Gogh, he made caricatures of Muhammad (a big no-no in islam) and some muslim extremists took offense and killed him.

Edited by dizbukhapeter

This reminds of the murder of Theo Van Gogh, he made caricatures of Muhammad (a big no-no in islam) and some muslim extremists took offense and killed him.

I'm pretty sure it's not what happened.

Are we witnessing a birth of a myth?

Minister calls for closure of Buddha-Bar Jakarta

The Jakarta Post | Wed, 03/11/2009 8:14 PM | National

Religious Affairs Minister Maftuh Basyuni has urged the Buddha-Bar Jakarta management, the France-based George V Hotels and Resorts, to close down its local branch following protests from local Buddhists over the bar’s name and use of Buddhist icons.

“If they don’t close this place down, I am afraid we could see other bars emerge like a ‘Christian Bar’ or an ‘Islam Bar,’” Maftuh told Antara state news agency after a meeting with religious leaders in Jambi.

The Jakarta Representatives Council (DPRD) had also asked for the management to halt their operations to keep peace between followers of different faiths.

Previously, Indonesian Buddhist representative Budi Setiawan said George V had promised to change the name of the bar and remove all of its religious symbols.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/10...ith-buddha.html

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/03...ar-jakarta.html

Where is the shop - I shall personally go there and paddle their behinds. :):D

Those are not shoes - those are kiddy ballarina pumps.

In Geneva, a town of many cultures and religions, tolerance is respected.

So i do not think a buddha statue in a shoe shop is going to shock too many people - and if it does, don't worry, it will be removed pronto by the authorities.

Edited by Patsycat

In the OP's post, my only question would be why didn't those who were so offended during their visit just have a word with the manager of the store, surely he would have immediately removed the shoes.

But then again, that wouldn't sell newspapers in India or provide an avenue for 15 pages of fame.

calm down mate...it's nothing to do with democracy or privacy

it wasn't in a private place....the statue was displayed in a shop in switzerland where people of different faiths including buddhists happens to be their customers......

buddha statues are considered sacred for millions of followers all over the world.....

These days we have, in Geneva, certain people of an arab faith walking around with their wives decked out in full black head to toe black who are oggling at us wearing "skimpy" clothes.

They come here cos in their coutries it is too hot, nice.

In Geneva talk - we call it Jeddah by the Lake.

Look at Gadhaffi's son, last year he was done for BEATING his maids and thought he could get away with it...

That looks like a big shoe shop, but i doubt that the buddha will be removed...

These days we have, in Geneva, certain people of an arab faith walking around with their wives decked out in full black head to toe black who are oggling at us wearing "skimpy" clothes.

They come here cos in their coutries it is too hot, nice.

In Geneva talk - we call it Jeddah by the Lake.

Look at Gadhaffi's son, last year he was done for BEATING his maids and thought he could get away with it...

That looks like a big shoe shop, but i doubt that the buddha will be removed...

Don't worry, it will be removed, not because of respect or nothing, just because they will fear not being able to sell to the occasional rich Thais passing by.

He was murdered for making a film critical of Islam.

He was murdered for making a film critical of Islam.

My mistake. There were political cartoons depicting Muhammad in Denmark around the same time Van Gogh was murdered. I got it mixed up.

Lets just be glad that buddhists aren't killing and terrorizing people all over the world in the name of their faith.

Remember a crowd of peaceloving Buddhists who beat to death a man who defaced the Erewan statue?

Last week, I saw a teenage Thai girl wearing a T-shirt with a picture of my Queen with a safety pin through her nose!

T-shirts with Nazi-style swastikas (not Buddhist style) are widely on sale in Bangkok in major department stores. A real fashion item........

Remember a crowd of peaceloving Buddhists who beat to death a man who defaced the Erewan statue?

No, I don't, because that never happened. It was a taxi driver in the middle of the night who did it.

Last week, I saw a teenage Thai girl wearing a T-shirt with a picture of my Queen with a safety pin through her nose!

T-shirts with Nazi-style swastikas (not Buddhist style) are widely on sale in Bangkok in major department stores. A real fashion item........

Yes, it's impossible to go in to Siam Paragon without seeing a dozen shops devoted exclusively to nazi t-shirts. They even hand them out free when you buy a ticket in to the aquarium.

Yes, it's impossible to go in to Siam Paragon without seeing a dozen shops devoted exclusively to nazi t-shirts. They even hand them out free when you buy a ticket in to the aquarium.

I see elderly women with exploited t-shirts. I told one once bout me getting a beer glass over the head by the singer - she wasn't interested lol