Isaan Hootch

legendarysurfer

Apparently, about 9 months ago, the powers that be decided that they could not prevent locals brewing their own rot gut so decided to 'legalise' it. In our town they had a 'convention' to teach the 'home brewers' how to prepare their hooch correctly and the importance of sterilisation.

I still wouldn't touch it!

:o

Apparently, about 9 months ago, the powers that be decided that they could not prevent locals brewing their own rot gut so decided to 'legalise' it. In our town they had a 'convention' to teach the 'home brewers' how to prepare their hooch correctly and the importance of sterilisation.

I still wouldn't touch it!

:D

That's interesting...

I have a still in storage at the moment.

I used to brew 20 degree alcohol, then distill it to 40 degrees, then add colouring and flavouring to make scotch, bourbon, brandy, and various other ladies type mixes... all very inexpensively.

I haven't tried it here yet as I have been wary of the legality of it all.

Didn't want the boys in brown knocking on the door. :o

Do you think it'd be OK to start brewing again?

There was an excellent little book called “The blue Flame” handed out to the guys working in the oil industry in Saudi many years ago. It deals with all aspects from setting up a still to checking the product.

If stills are legal and you are allowed to make your own hooch, I suggest you ask around for one of those guys, maybe he will loan you his copy. There are plenty of ex Saudi expats settled in Thai now.

NL

There was an excellent little book called “The blue Flame” handed out to the guys working in the oil industry in Saudi many years ago. It deals with all aspects from setting up a still to checking the product.

If stills are legal and you are allowed to make your own hooch, I suggest you ask around for one of those guys, maybe he will loan you his copy. There are plenty of ex Saudi expats settled in Thai now.

NL

Thanks for the tip NarrLing. :o

Hey TV members...

Are there any ex Saudi expats out there with a copy of this book? :D

Jai Dee

I forgot to STRESS the importance of following the SAFETY guidelines in the article.

The still temperature is extremely important. A few major accidents have occured in the past that included guys suffering severe burns and on one occasion, the side of a house being blown out after the cooling water was accidentally turned off.

I hope you get the required permission.

Happy Brewing.

NL

Jai Dee

I forgot to STRESS the importance of following the SAFETY guidelines in the article.

The still temperature is extremely important. A few major accidents have occured in the past that included guys suffering severe burns and on one occasion, the side of a house being blown out after the cooling water was accidentally turned off.

I hope you get the required permission.

Happy Brewing.

NL

Thanks for that NarrLing.

The last time I used brewing equipment it was is a much cooler climate.

Advice noted.

Cheers.

:o

NL

Thanks for the tip NarrLing. :thumbsup:

Hey TV members...

Are there any ex Saudi expats out there with a copy of this book? :blink: If you are serious about a still, you can purchase them legally in Queensland from any homebrew warehouse , price range 120 upto 290 dollars australian complete with distilling instructions , they also stock , ingriedients and flavourings,nignoy

If you are serious about a still, you can purchase them legally in Queensland from any homebrew warehouse , price range 120 upto 290 dollars australian complete with distilling instructions , they also stock , ingriedients and flavourings,nignoy

Really?

Now I'm very interested... any weblinks?

Now, see, home brewing is something I can see myself doing in my retirement years in the Isaan. Rice farming would break my back -- literally.

There's nothing to say you can't come up with a good mix and even compete, locally.

Thanks for the link to THE BLUE FLAME, NarrLing. :o

Gotta be careful with this stuff. :D

Used to work in Saudi with a company that sounds like a hamburger in the 70s and one of the main (almost only )pastimes was to "do a brew"mostly beer or a winey looking stuff,but the the more adventurous went for a nice little snifter called "Sidiki" known as everyones friend "Sid"

This was made from a distilled sugar mix and the main oil company that everyone worked for even provided the blueprints and materials to built the still.

The big golden rule was obviously dont get caught and dont what ever you do give or sell or flog any to the locals otherwise....well.....usually..minimun... at least was a quick exit and dont <deleted>..ing come back on the tin budgie...minimun.

Needless to say we had our share of A-Hs who knew better :o:D

Anyway as said on one occasion I picked up a 5 gall container of 100% plus proof...raw and uncut from tit lads in .....well...MPR...for a going away "do"...forget who.

Unfortunately somebody decided to do a 5th Run on the stuff which like the old hillbilly movies blew up.

3 or 4 of the guys died and the others who were in the room were back "on the Dole" in Blighty a couple of days later....

All good fun until the jolly runs out. :D

Used to work in Saudi with a company that sounds like a hamburger in the 70s and one of the main (almost only )pastimes was to "do a brew"mostly beer or a winey looking stuff,but the the more adventurous went for a nice little snifter called "Sidiki" known as everyones friend "Sid"

This was made from a distilled sugar mix and the main oil company that everyone worked for even provided the blueprints and materials to built the  still.

The big golden rule was obviously dont get caught and dont what ever you do give or sell or flog any to the locals otherwise....well.....usually..minimun... at least was a quick exit and dont <deleted>..ing come back on the tin budgie...minimun.

Needless to say we had our share of A-Hs who knew better :o  :D

Anyway as said on one occasion I picked up a 5 gall container of 100% plus proof...raw and uncut from  tit lads in .....well...MPR...for a going away "do"...forget who.

Unfortunately somebody decided to do a 5th Run on the stuff which like the old hillbilly movies blew up.

3 or 4 of the guys died and the others who were in the room were back "on the Dole" in Blighty  a couple of days later....

I've never brewed my own. I take it there is an element of danger. However, if one keeps it together (i.e. not drink on the job!), can it be relatively safe? :D

If you are serious about a still, you can purchase them legally in Queensland from any homebrew warehouse , price range 120 upto 290 dollars australian complete with distilling instructions , they also stock , ingriedients and flavourings,nignoy

Really?

Now I'm very interested... any weblinks?

Dont know about weblinks but will definitely pop into the nearest warehouse in caboolture and try and get some more information for you, got a mate out in the Isa who has been distilling for years so will ask him too,nignoy

Remember last year helping make the bright yellow rice wine for New Year.Boy was that strong!It looks like a kids coloured drink.Took quite a time to find anyone who could sell us the yeast and it was made almost dry with the water added at the end, and then poored off,and no sugar at all.Didn't think it would work myself,but did and after a few days could add more water again and poor off.Didn't take many glasses of that to put you on your back!Anybody else make this stuff?

Why is proper Dark Rum not made in Thailand? They are a fair sized cane sugar producer and the Philppines make some decent stuff.

Never mind the exploding stills,I rememember reading a few years ago that many people at a wedding became seriously ill after drinking some home made hootch that was produced at the wrong temperature.

This was made from a distilled sugar mix and the main oil company that everyone worked for even provided the blueprints and materials to built the  still.

Needless to say we had our share of A-Hs who knew better :o  :D

Anyway as said on one occasion I picked up a 5 gall container of 100% plus proof...raw and uncut from  tit lads in .....well...MPR...for a going away "do"...forget who.

3 or 4 of the guys died and the others who were in the room were back "on the Dole" in Blighty  a couple of days later....

I've never brewed my own. I take it there is an element of danger. However, if one keeps it together (i.e. not drink on the job!), can it be relatively safe? :D

There are literally 100,s of mail order websites for stills of all shapes and sizes even one in vientiane so jump in a rubber dinghy in Mukdaharn quick splash across the river and away you go, nignoy

• 2 weeks later...
That's interesting...

I have a still in storage at the moment.

I used to brew 20 degree alcohol, then distill it to 40 degrees, then add colouring and flavouring to make scotch, bourbon, brandy, and various other ladies type mixes... all very inexpensively.

I haven't tried it here yet as I have been wary of the legality of it all.

Didn't want the boys in brown knocking on the door. 

Do you think it'd be OK to start brewing again?

Come on, just don't tell anyone.

If the local police come round give them a couple of glasses.

I used to make a wicked brew, grow my own was never hassled.

• 3 weeks later...

I found this in the Phuket Gazette questions and answers.

Home brewing

Is it legal in Thailand to home-brew beer or wine for personal consumption?

Friday, March 4, 2005 Soopchun, Australia.

Q. “It is illegal to home-brew alcohol, whether fermented or distilled liquor, for either personal consumption or sale.

A. Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even to have the equipment to do so.

The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquor, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and/or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol – wine or beer, for example – are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.

People who want to produce home-brew liquors legally must apply to the Phuket Excise Office for a licence. ”

Friday, March 4, 2005 Payoon Poolsuwan, of Phuket Excise Office.

• 5 years later...