O-a Visa(retirement) A Breeze!..but

Humble, I just wanted to say that I know now what you meant by the additional form required for your visa..You must have been referring to the "Personal Data Form". In my case,I was able to submit a hand written paper in the form of a resume summarizing my education and work backgrounds in lieu of the "official" form.

RDN,your evaluaton of the"long stay" question sounds right on the money.

Evidently,depending on where one submits their application,the actual using of the term "long stay" on the visa is either always (or at least,usually?) ,or never used. :o

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... Nothing at all saying "long stay", (arent all "OA"s long stay??) ....

I think you're right - all O-A's are "long stay", and putting "long stay" on the visa is just additional information to help immigration identify the visa as one that awards the bearer a one year stay. This is what my single entry O-A looks like:

visals2ha.jpg

I wound bother to scan mine but it does say "1 year Long Stay" in the blank where it says good for. Now my stamp might be different as Honolulu said it was new and I say her take it out of the bag and ink up the new vias stamp! I looked at the other one and it is not different.

Just spoke to an official at the RTE in Wash DC. after waiting a few minutes a gent came on the phone whom advised me that the long stay form, (noted in my previous post) was used for the OA retirement visa and the when we hit BKK passport control they will give you a year from the arrival date. The visa date is when you can arrive not when your year starts. I stated about the 1yr longs stay in my visa since we we have some differnces (TIT) in our visa. That should serve as reminder to the passport control person to date your entry for 1 year. He noted that I should check to see the date is correct. As to reentry as long as the date is within the visa time frame you'll probably get another year. It is up to the immi people but normally (TIT) you woulde get a year. That's why you buy a multi entry and get multiple re-entry stamps at Thai Immi in Sathorn (or where ever you go). Once you have met the requiremengt for the O-A and check in every 90 days (which is the same as a visa run w/o having to do the run) you're welcome to stay. Different than work or investment? Ans. Yes...your a providing to the econonmy.... Well that's what I got today from Wash DC. why doesn't some one else call the main office in thier country and get the 411?

Note: I'm welcome to stay because I'm providing to the economy. I have NO plans to spend 200USD a day on booze and girls whilst a resident. Or at least I hope so. As some know I have been spending 2-3 months a year in Patong at the Thara Patong spread over 5 0r 6 visits. Why....OUT OF CONTROL! Drunken mongering debaucher was I. I hope now, at 58 years young I can control my behavior. I am very concerned about that issue!

That's why you buy a multi entry and get multiple re-entry stamps at Thai Immi in Sathorn (or where ever you go).

So, the embassy official told you that even though the visa is "multiple entry" you still have to get a re-entry permit?

Did you ask that specific question?

Yes TIT remember that thai doesn't always translate but more often TIT

that part of the process seems to be fairly consistant with most of thje posts. Yes 90 check in YES NEED A RE-ENTRY PERMIT...this issue was bantered on other boards to the same reslove. Like posted previoulds a trip to Dmo Muang or Sathorn is a small price. Yea the 3800 Baht is a nic but you should be in LOS retired if you can afford it!

I scanned my vias but cannot add it like other boards??? Would some one like to help me with that???I could e-mail it to somebody that keeps a board and can give it some Urinealysis URL'd the little bugger? If you guy want to see what mine looks like??? Up to YOU

...  Instead of scurrying to Annies or the Nana parking lot upon arrival I will fire up the lap top and get the info out as I and everybody else would like to see the results I get at that moment  with that particular Immi Officer.

That's OK, HF - we can wait until after you've... er.... arrived. :o

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/oa-form.doc  I did post this link before but it was buried in some other rubbish!  What say you all, did we have tghat for or not?

Thanks for that link - I didn't realise that form was on the net. It is the one I was given at the Thai embassy in London.

And very interesting that this form also uses the exact "syntax" for the "O-A" (Long Stay) visa - the same double quotes, the same parentheses, the same capitalisation...

oaform0aa.jpg

visals2ha.jpg

...when we hit BKK passport control they will give you a year from the arrival date. The visa date is when you can arrive not when your year starts.

Yes - the visa's validity period merely represents the time that you can use it. Mine was for three months, so I had to get into Thailand using that visa within that three month period. The "one year stay" started on the date I arrived using the visa, and even now the anniversary of that date is my "one-year extension" renewal date.

I stated about the 1yr longs stay in my visa since we we have some differences (TIT) in our visa.  That should serve as reminder to the passport control person to date your entry for 1 year.  He noted that I should check to see the date is correct....

That's the same as the London embassy guy told me. You must insist on a year's stamp..."admitted until" stamp... in your passport at immigration.

Good luck!

Edited by RDN

.... Nothing at all saying "long stay", (arent all "OA"s long stay??) ....

I think you're right - all O-A's are "long stay", and putting "long stay" on the visa is just additional information to help immigration identify the visa as one that awards the bearer a one year stay. This is what my single entry O-A looks like:

visals2ha.jpg

I wound bother to scan mine but it does say "1 year Long Stay" in the blank where it says good for. Now my stamp might be different as Honolulu said it was new and I say her take it out of the bag and ink up the new vias stamp! I looked at the other one and it is not different.

Yes, Humble,our visa stamps definitely are not the same.In the blank where it says "good for" is where mine says"multiple" journeys to Thailand,nothing else.

As to your last post,its been 10 years since my last drink,and I feel 10yrs. younger instead of 10yrs. older,Nooooo problem there,and after 16 years experience,I HOPE I have

the TGF under control as well......

Yes TIT remember that thai doesn't always translate but more often TIT

that part of the process seems to be fairly consistant with most of thje posts. Yes 90 check in YES NEED A RE-ENTRY PERMIT...this issue was bantered on other boards to the same reslove. Like posted previoulds a trip to Dmo Muang or Sathorn is a small price. Yea the 3800 Baht is a nic but you should be in LOS retired if you can afford it!

Yes, I agree 100% that going to Suan Plu and making sure of the re-entries is indeed a small price to pay.( Ill just make a holiday of it) But the fact still remains that Redwood, Shotover and others never needed one,and they were issued the IDENTICAL"OA" visa stamp I was,Just have to wait and see what happens when the time comes,its way to early to concern myself with that issue just now,And anyway,A LOT could change by then, Day at a time,Daddy O!

As said I'll report all that is done upon my arrival. Interesting on the re-entry thingo as some needed and some not. If there has been anything consistant from the thai Offices its the re-entry thingo. That will wash along soon enought. <deleted> I'll I weanted to do the Driver License dance but I must register in Phuket since that will be my "home of record" for Thai Immi and the U.S. Embassy. The U.S. Embassy "American Counsular Services" office has been really good about email responses. Any way....I haven't much more to add untill arrival time. I suppose this thread will die so I'll start a new one unless we have a a sticky/pinned spot to post on going reports of passport control, Thai Immi, and Visa news. I would hope there is such a place limited to posts by those whom have visa's so in can be of help to others. I'll not tourble with posting a scan of my visa as it uses the same verbage as RDN.

Here is a another good link.

http://www.pattayatalk.com/mhosting/brashopping.asf

Edited by HumbleFlyer

I too will be waiting to hear about your experience on arrival,best of luck there Humble!

That's also encouraging news about the U.S.Citizens services being Email receptive.

The link you posted earlier is indeed the additional "Personal Data" form ,which,as I stated in post 91,I did'nt have to fill out.

The consul accepted a handwritten"resume" with the same info (education/work background) instead. :o

Big thanks to RDN... I really should make my first nioght on my new OA a good one. You all really can wait till I wake up on my arrival morning to see what's up at Passport Control. What do I expect...a one year stamp. BTW for those on OA Long Stay 1 year visas whom did not need re-entry permits please post the dates of your visas and the times you re-entered. Is it possible that this is a new thingo

In addition to TIT I arrive in LOS as a homeland from an Island where Mai Pen Lai is the rule of style... got to stay cool when dealing withg things or nothing works, particularly if you go away from the Big City enviro of Honolulu cause Da Bruddahs arfe the same as Thia civil servants, stay cool mon!

Yes, I restated and rephrased my question and go the same answer at all the Thai offices. Honolulu, LA, and Washington D.C. No exit permit and the visa is dead! Exit permit and you'll get a year from you next entry so long as the visa is still valid, ( meaning not expired)

Here is a quote from the Ministry of Forieng Affairs Web site:

VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to take retreat in the Kingdom at least for the period of one year.

I. QUALIFICATION OF THE APPLICNAT

A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above (on the date of submitting the application).

Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (A.D.1979).

Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.

Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/her application is submitted.

Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third step of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535).

The quote of Long Stay has popped up again. The Honolulu has indicated the put the words 1 year long stay to indicated the lenght of my visa so as to expedite the passport control procedure. Apparnetly the office at P.C. will merely change the date on their stamp and just make it good for one year....Is that what others evperienced?

Humble -- when do you plan to arrive in Thailand?

(Try to limit your reply to just a sentence or two....)

:D

OUCH.....is that a wanna be moddie attach....As to the arrival date just keep reading the board every day and it will pop up :D

Humble, I apologize for the sarcasm. You have a good heart and you are full of interesting knowledge and ideas. It's just that sometimes the gems are buried in more prose than I have time to read. Having said that, I must admit that I often read your posts more than once just to make sure I haven't missed something!

:o

Edited by mgnewman

Mahalo...for the comment..Yeah I try and add a little spice to the dry stuff... Speaking of dry stuff may I be the first to say the all the bantering, myself leading that issue, has forgotton to go back to basics. Like the forum info. We have be going round about the re-entyr permit stuff and well:

How to get a reentry permit

Explaining reentry permits

If you have an extension of stay in your passport, you will ned a reentry permit if you plan to travel outside Thailand for short period.

The best is to obtain your re-entry permit at Don Muang International Airport, just before Immigration counter. Re-entry Permit counter is on the 3rd floor of Departure Hall, International Passenger Terminal 1. Immigration at Phuket International Airport also provide reentry permits in the departure hall.

FEES: The fee for a re-entry permit is (as per 2003-08-26):

1,000 Baht for single re-entry

3,800 Baht for multiple re-entry

Bring 2 color photos, passport, copy of passport (main page and recent entry stamp). The application form is simple to fill in and at the Airport the waiting time is minimal, approx. 10-20 minutes.

The processing time at Thai Immigration Suan Pluh, can vary from 1 hours to half a day, so if you prefer to queue, apply before lunch so you you can pick it up later the same day.. You can apply in person or via agent (requires Letter of Attorney). Pick up can be done by courier presenting your green receipt.

On your return to Thailand, don't forget to note the reentry permit number on your Immigration arrival card (TM-card) and check that you are stamped in correctly. The latter is very important.

Holders of multiple Non-Immigrant visas do not need re-entry permit, as they will get a new 90 days entry stamp on arrival. You only need reeentry permit if you have a short or long time extension that you want to keep.

Questions about reentry permits? Please visit Thailand Expat Forum!

That seems to be the issue here ST or LT extension. And I consider my LT an extension.. Metaforically speaking and LT on my part is an extension. I consider a good BKK soapy a LT.

How to get a reentry permit

Explaining reentry permits

If you have an EXTENSION of stay in your passport, you will ned a reentry permit if you plan to travel outside Thailand for short period.

The best is to obtain your re-entry permit at Don Muang International Airport, just before Immigration counter. Re-entry Permit counter is on the 3rd floor of Departure Hall, International Passenger Terminal 1. Immigration at Phuket International Airport also provide reentry permits in the departure hall.

FEES: The fee for a re-entry permit is (as per 2003-08-26):

1,000 Baht for single re-entry

3,800 Baht for multiple re-entry

Bring 2 color photos, passport, copy of passport (main page and recent entry stamp). The application form is simple to fill in and at the Airport the waiting time is minimal, approx. 10-20 minutes.

The processing time at Thai Immigration Suan Pluh, can vary from 1 hours to half a day, so if you prefer to queue, apply before lunch so you you can pick it up later the same day.. You can apply in person or via agent (requires Letter of Attorney). Pick up can be done by courier presenting your green receipt.

On your return to Thailand, don't forget to note the reentry permit number on your Immigration arrival card (TM-card) and check that you are stamped in correctly. The latter is very important.

Holders of multiple Non-Immigrant visas do not need re-entry permit, as they will get a new 90 days entry stamp on arrival. You only need reeentry permit if you have a short or long time EXTENSION that you want to keep.

Questions about reentry permits? Please visit Thailand Expat Forum!

That seems to be the issue here ST or LT extension. And I consider my LT an extension.. Metaforically speaking and LT on my part is an extension. I consider a good BKK soapy a LT.

Thanx for the facts as to the wheres and hows of obtaining the re-entry permits,Humble.Great stuff!

But here we go again,the 1st paragraph states that all those on an EXTENSION of stay need to get one. If one is admitted for a year upon arriving on an multi OA visa,and wants to leave and return BEFORE the 1st EXTENSION of stay becomes necessary,it says nothing at all about needing one in that case.

But could Thai Imm. consider an inital multi OA(whether"long stay" is written in,or not) an EXTENSION??

(as you,metaphorically speaking,of course, are choosing to do) I suppose they could!,And if that ends up being the case,Ill just smile,pay the fee and walk away.Mai pen lai!

Glad to see some are entertained by my frolicking about here....88 ster has shown some conventional wisdon. As I said before I you can't aford to retire here, don't! Mai Pen Lai...Of so the verbage defies logic....Is that the first time we've endured that in dealing with a governmental body?

What ever the bantering we are searching for the truth and I expect the quotes in the various sections from ThaiVisa.com will ring out as facts.

qoute:

Holders of multiple Non-Immigrant visas do not need re-entry permit, as they will get a new 90 days entry stamp on arrival. You only need reeentry permit if you have a short or long time EXTENSION that you want to keep.

Cut

this is exactly what I was told three places and from thisw site. Ther are many

non immi visas but the O-A long stay 1 year (AKA LongtimeBoys) need a stamp.

Let me put it in my value system. Which is better...Free passage in and out of LOS

for "one year plus" is more fun than a session at Eden club in BangkoK and both my will cost about the same. Since I'm sentenced to a 5 min cab ride from the US Embassy to Thai Immi should I not make a go of it. If I have to leave my passport and return I could go to Patong for a nooner which could add another 2000 baht to the journey...I has been a journey to arrive at this junction, Oh how luck I am!

If you think we've gone on and on have a look at the thread about tghe Canook guy whom wants for do both??? they are on a Whooping NINE posts in the thead and has the possiblilty to going way over the top....Far more complex issues. But I would like to say <deleted>...this bloke from the "Great White North" has a Canooker Pension and a business to boot and is looking for a business in Koh Samui....

Hey Buddy, give it a break and hit LOS with the games plan of don't do <deleted>! Retire already and don't spool up the already high strung boardies!

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the question....What do you gead hasn't hit et at passport control whilst arriving on a

O-A Long Stay 1 year visa....I would like to know myself and this very long thread hasn't hit the mark! When will that info come out???????? Seems some poster was supposed to put it up dropped out of sight. I hope he ain't in the slammer?

Hope some lucky dude will pass along the info!

Back to the question....What do you gead hasn't hit et at passport control whilst arriving on a

O-A Long Stay 1 year visa....I would like to know myself and this very long thread hasn't hit the mark!  When will that info come out????????  Seems some poster was supposed to put it up dropped out of sight.  I hope he ain't in the slammer?

The really easy option is to get an O and extend it in Thailand.

The O-A is a bit special. You should defintively have a re-entry permit, regardless of what the conuslate said.

But it says "multiple" entry right on it....

You're getting confused over the difference in your status when you are here on a non-immigrant visa issued outside Thailand and here on an extension of your non-immigrant visa issued inside Thailand.

Here's how it works.

You get a multientry non-immigrant visa issued outside Thailand. It's usually good for entering anytime within a year, as ofter as you like, and is always good for a ninety day stay per entry.

You go to Immigration here after you enter on your non-immigrant visa issued outside Thailand and, assuming you qualify for a one-year stay on some basis, they extend your last entry for the one year period. The extension has nothing to do with when your visa was issued, but only with the last time you entered Thailand. If it was ninety days earlier, say, your 'one year' extension effectively becomes a 'nine month' extension since it dates back to your last entry.

Still with me?

This is where the reentry permit comes in. Once your original visa is extended, the extension is only for you to remain in the country. If you leave, you lose the extension and the visa and have to start all over. Unless you get a reentry permit before you leave. It's readily granted and comes in both single and multiple entry versions. It permits your extension to continue on as if you had never left the country and is more or less just a way for the fine folks at Immigration to soak more baht out of you. I can't remember how much the multientry reentry permit cost, but it's certainly not an insignificant amount.

This is the way it works. This is the ONLY way it works. Stick with the program and it's an easy ride. Start with the American-style 'but-if' questions, and you're digging a hole for yourself.

Hope this helps.

The question is O with the A and that is a full year stay stamped on arrival be it an O-A or a B-A. You do not go to immigration except for 90 day address reporting on this type of visa until your year is up and it needs to be extended. Some people seem to be getting almost two years with this if they make trips as they have multi entry stamps on visa and are getting a new "one year" on each entry rather than having to obtain a re entry permit like those of us with extensions of stay obtained inside Thailand.

I suspect the this visa should be single entry and a re-entry permit required as is the case inside Thailand but that the Consulates do not know what a re-entry permit is (they don't issue them) so they take a fee and mark multi entry on the visa rather than a re entry stamp that would have the same expiration date as the visa and get a permitted to stay to that date rather than a year from entry that the O-A visa gets. At this point the O-A seems to be a very good deal. :o

O-A Long Stay 1 year visa....I would like to know myself and this very long thread hasn't hit the mark!   When will that info come out????????   Seems some poster was supposed to put it up dropped out of sight.  I hope he ain't in the slammer?

The really easy option is to get an O and extend it in Thailand.

I agree with you Doc,IF you indeed can get a "standard" "O".Again,I was told here in N.O.that I did not qualify(been there many times,having many friends in Thailand,etc. did not cut it) My only choices were the OA (retirement) or multi entry tourist visas. Im also one of those that didnt find getting the OA here all that difficult,of course,that could vary depending on one's circumstances( health,financial qualifications,Criminal record??)

As to Old Asia's post,Lop is exactly right in his reply. The issue here is concerning arriving on an OA Multi entry visa. The process Old Asia describes

(and accurately so) is about the

standard "O" visa.(only 90 days

entry permit on arrival,etc.)

To Lop,I think (hope!!) you're right that,in essence, the extra $75

charged for the OA multi is in lieu of the re-entry permit(s) that would be required otherwise,and should be for the duration of the visa's validity(one year from date of issue),with re-entry permits required BEFORE leaving Thailand if one would leave anytime after the initial OA visa expiration date.This ,of course, would be the case when one gets yet another 365 days upon re-entry ,since the new "admitted until date" would be later than the

the "valid until" date of the original OA. (Redwood,wasn't this the case with you?)

Anyway,Im arriving on May 4.any 1st time "OA" arrivers,before then,please relate your experiences!BTW.........

Humble! Dont forget about us man!