Thais Ok With Corrupted Government

webfact

Thais ok with corrupted government

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 28/06/2009 at 12:02 PM

A latest survey reveals that many Thai people would accept a crooked government if it can make the country prosper and raise their standard of living.

The Abac Poll Research Centre conducted a survey on people's well-being, involving 1,228 households in 17 provinces nationwide.

84.5 per cent viewed that corruption in businesses would not be unusual and 51.2 per cent said they would tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country and their well-being.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009/06/28

Edited by Mario2008: lines removed to comply with BangkokPost qouting rules. Story continues here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1473...pted-government

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred said all there is to say. They have no choice. The politicians have always been thieves and one generation after another inherits all regardless of their political party. Anyone who thinks a new government will be different is indeed naive.

Fred said all there is to say. They have no choice. The politicians have always been thieves and one generation after another inherits all regardless of their political party. Anyone who thinks a new government will be different is indeed naive.

And that goes for most if not every country!

And what can change it ?

:D:):D

Of course many Thais would accept a corrupt government do they have any choice? :)

Its the same with falangs. almost 100% of business and investors in the west would accept their stockbroker using corruption and insider knowledge if it improved their wealth or as in the latest year if it had prevented them from loosing their money.

Same same but the Thais are more honest about it. We have a choice but choose corruption, here and back home. Sorry but ask round how many bar owners and expats here pay tea money. It's all the saem

Everybody knew Thaksin was corrupt but he improved the lot of the poor more than anybody before or since. Thats where he will always score well because Thai's know that he lines their pockets and not just his own.

Pops I do not dispute what you say in your last sentence, but god, if this was the best that could be offered in a country of this size, in this modern age, I hope someone will just shoot the next savior who steps up.

I remember seeing a similar survey a few years ago and some of the quotes stuck in my mind. Basically the Thais quoted said corruption was normal and part of the culture. They suggested "Why else would someone want to be in the government (if there wasn't tea money to be made)?

I have had a number of conversations on this topics and the Thais I have spoken with just can't understand what we get so worked up about.

Of course many Thais would accept a corrupt government do they have any choice? :)

Its the same with falangs. almost 100% of business and investors in the west would accept their stockbroker using corruption and insider knowledge if it improved their wealth or as in the latest year if it had prevented them from loosing their money.

Same same but the Thais are more honest about it. We have a choice but choose corruption, here and back home. Sorry but ask round how many bar owners and expats here pay tea money. It's all the saem

Everybody knew Thaksin was corrupt but he improved the lot of the poor more than anybody before or since. Thats where he will always score well because Thai's know that he lines their pockets and not just his own.

oh yes so did Adolf Hitler :D

:D The reason the Thai's think like that is because 3/4 of this country are uneducated !!!

Educate the people and they wouldn't think like THAT !!!!!! Good luck

The government wants to keep the people stupid it's a lot easier to lie and cheat them !!! :)

Of course Thai's are happy with a corrupt government. At the last election and the one before and the one before that , the rice workers here in the North were PAID (would you believe it ) 200bht to vote - for who else but TOXIC . Average daily (8hr ) back breaking work here in a rice field is 140-150 bht.

They were picked up in a pickup , taken to vote or to the rallies as well , fed and watered and paid for the plesure . Its a nice day out for them .

As for the politics of Thailand , they havent got a clue !!

1,228 households in 17 provinces

Well what provinces, and which ones had the most surveyed in it?

This is a very minor statistical sampling

and a very manipulatable survey, and really doesn't prove much....

Agreed, and just love to see the demographics of those households. In toto, of course, not individual ones. But how many rich, how many middle class, and how many poor who cannot read or write and do not have telephones?

They just realise that the system as it is does not reward politicians/bureaucrats according to their services, so tea money makes it fair.

And the system, from elections down to cabinet decision making, prevents free and fair competition for those positions, i.e. politicians who can deliver more and steal/get paid less are weeded out on approach.

Same thing in the offices - relatives get cushy positions without earning them and that reflects on overall productivity, but somehow people think that brown nosing your incompetent boss is better than improving company performance, i.e. people don't feel like stakeholders, only as leeches whose goal is to take away as much as possible.

Of course not everybody is the same, hence not 100% answers in that survey.

I also don't think that there will be any change coming from the down up - it's up to the leaders to set better examples and make lower rungs feel included and involved.

When we have folks like Thaksin setting standards for fairness there's no hope at all. He doesn't feel like stakeholder himself, to begin with, he is a leech. You need statesmen at the top, people who put country's interests above their own, true patriots, and I don't know if any exist outside traditional elites and top military guys like Prem and Sorayud. Every one else just wants to have a good time at the expense of others.

As for revolutionary movement - they have absolutely no credibility left already and they haven't tasted the power yet. When they felt they were getting some, they tried to burn the country down. No future in these guys, they are like teenagers, lots of anger but zero sense. Maybe they wil mature one day, like those commies from 70s who now advise Thaksin on looting the country. Time does change idealists around.

You bet they have, If every stopped doing things for a month, just protest, you watch what happen!

Unlikely I think, but possible.

Personally, I fail to understand why the UK population has not yet taken to the streets given the outrages that have surfaced recently. I suppose that if the UK populous is not inclined to show their will, the Thai masses are unlikely to do much at all. Always happy to be surprised though!

Why does the government hate Thaksin? The answer is quite simple. He is smarter than the rest of the thieves. He shortened the BIG feed trough and gave that money to the farmers. The other thieves were NOT smart enough to share any of the spoils. The elite refuse to give the farmers anything. This government could make the farmers forget Thaksin if they would share a few crumbs. That's not going to happen.

You bet they have, If every stopped doing things for a month, just protest, you watch what happen!

Personally, I fail to understand why the UK population has not yet taken to the streets given the outrages that have surfaced recently. I suppose that if the UK populous is not inclined to show their will, the Thai masses are unlikely to do much at all. Always happy to be surprised though!

Thais in very differnt situation than westerners IMO. Westerners are willing to accept corruption now because they've all been co-opted. They're all in, stocks, bonds, currencies, "property ladders", whatever. All the capital they've accumulated to ensure their leisure. Corruption? raiding the teasury? debasing the currency? Whatever, but please God make my account balance screen go back to where it was. Never mind that they fuc_k their children and grandchildren. That's who we are now when we take a look in the mirror.

Thais on the other hand have known about corruption and cheating all their lives. The bent prosper and the meek take it in the ass. Yeah, the poll doesn't surprise me much.

:D The reason the Thai's think like that is because 3/4 of this country are uneducated !!!

The government wants to keep the people stupid it's a lot easier to lie and cheat them !!! :)

religion is the opium of the people, remember? being highly literate does not make a dent on being eduacted. highlighted here is a valid point on how the government can keep the people stupid and easier to cheat and lie to. right on, mate. keep feeding them the opium - thailand is not short of it and neither is the golden triangle - the real thing :D:D:D that is .

1,228 households in 17 provinces

Well what provinces, and which ones had the most surveyed in it?

This is a very minor statistical sampling

and a very manipulatable survey, and really doesn't prove much....

Agreed, and just love to see the demographics of those households. In toto, of course, not individual ones. But how many rich, how many middle class, and how many poor who cannot read or write and do not have telephones?

:D:D:D:D statisfics don't lie upfront. behind it , it is full of baloneys :):D:D:D

religion is the opium of the people, remember? being highly literate does not make a dent on being eduacted. highlighted here is a valid point on how the government can keep the people stupid and easier to cheat and lie to. right on, mate. keep feeding them the opium - thailand is not short of it and neither is the golden triangle - the real thing :D:D:D that is .

the golden triangle made some serious american herione dealers in the 70's and 80's when it had it's golden area. the film american gangster is based on it

:)

I don't think you see the real Thai life, the life that is the norm of a poor Thai farmer or laborer. From top to bottom, everything is made for the person who has property, money, influence. For most poor Thais they see no real chance to ever change that. I would bet that for at least 70% of Thais, politics is a non-starter. They just don't feel that it makes a difference. They want prosperity....not democracy...because democracy is a joke from down at the bottom.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

That is because they are now being held accountable and they are facing legal due process. That is pretty much non-existent in Thailand.

Thais ok with corrupted government

By: BangkokPost.com

Published: 28/06/2009 at 12:02 PM

A latest survey reveals that many Thai people would accept a crooked government if it can make the country prosper and raise their standard of living.

The Abac Poll Research Centre conducted a survey on people's well-being, involving 1,228 households in 17 provinces nationwide.

84.5 per cent viewed that corruption in businesses would not be unusual and 51.2 per cent said they would tolerate a corrupted government if it can improve the country and their well-being.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009/06/28

Edited by Mario2008: lines removed to comply with BangkokPost qouting rules. Story continues here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1473...pted-government

One more time ?

The "problem" with this poll, is that there is no explanation on HOW the fact that

a government is corrupt can IMPROVE the country !

If those who pay for the poll have a idea, it would be interesting to even SALE it

(after having PATENTED IT) !

For myself, I am still ignorant of how it can be possible, I even happen to know

that corruption is responsible for a "leakage" of GNP of nearly 20%, and a

"positive leakage", not the kind that increases the GNP :)

Thais in very differnt situation than westerners IMO. Westerners are willing to accept corruption now because they've all been co-opted. They're all in, stocks, bonds, currencies, "property ladders", whatever. All the capital they've accumulated to ensure their leisure. Corruption? raiding the teasury? debasing the currency? Whatever, but please God make my account balance screen go back to where it was. Never mind that they fuc_k their children and grandchildren. That's who we are now when we take a look in the mirror.

Thais on the other hand have known about corruption and cheating all their lives. The bent prosper and the meek take it in the ass. Yeah, the poll doesn't surprise me much.

I'm thinking "lost his shirt" in the markets and now a poor sport. I made $200 last week in my stocks? If you are too stupid to balance your checking account you should stay away from the stock market. That is for grown-ups.